Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

falconeight

Original poster
Apr 6, 2010
OK THAT is the dumbest thing I've read today...

I sincerely hope you don't think people go out and go through the trouble of buying an iPhone (which wasn't easy given the demand) just to show off the deathgrip? Get real.

And people kept the iPhone waiting to see what would be said at the press conference (this week). Prior to this week - I am sure many people kept it to do their own testing - is it just at work, is it at home. Is it during peak usage times, etc. There are a lot of reasons people wouldn't or didn't return the phone right away just because they experienced the issue.

How about people who didn't really know WHY or thought the signal loss was within tolerance.

Look - as I said - Steve himself said the iPhone4 has a reception issue. Whether you, I or someone else tolerates it and accepts it is the issue - not whether or not the phone is flawed. Apple said the phone is flawed.

Your sensationalizing nothing, the phone is fine stop the drama.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Oh palease antennas work best when they are on the outside. If not then why wouldn't my satellite be inside, why is reception worse inside a house? The only flaw is that people know where it is and can touch it.

Thanks for quoting Steve Jobs there. Next time you post though - could you stop and think a bit?

s8film40

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2007
OK THAT is the dumbest thing I've read today...

I sincerely hope you don't think people go out and go through the trouble of buying an iPhone (which wasn't easy given the demand) just to show off the deathgrip? Get real.

And people kept the iPhone waiting to see what would be said at the press conference (this week). Prior to this week - I am sure many people kept it to do their own testing - is it just at work, is it at home. Is it during peak usage times, etc. There are a lot of reasons people wouldn't or didn't return the phone right away just because they experienced the issue.

How about people who didn't really know WHY or thought the signal loss was within tolerance.

Look - as I said - Steve himself said the iPhone4 has a reception issue. Whether you, I or someone else tolerates it and accepts it is the issue - not whether or not the phone is flawed. Apple said the phone is flawed.

Yeah if you don't believe there are people out their who will own a product just to prove to others it doesn't work than you don't read this forum very much. Apple never said their phone was flawed or had bad reception, in fact they said it had better reception. This is the problem with all the deathgrippers it's not enough to convince people that they may occasionally be able to experience the deathgrip but they have this unusual desperate need to convince the world that the phone is defective. The problem is nobody cares anymore we've all watched the youtube videos, we've all seen the press conference, and we've all tested it ourselves. We either decided to keep it or return it. So you can stop trying to convince people that the phone doesn't work. Anyone who has the phone and it doesn't work for them and they don't return it is either trying to prove something or just plain ignorant.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Your sensationalizing nothing, the phone is fine stop the drama.

What drama? The phone is flawed. I accept that. I have a case. I'm happy with the iPhone4 now that I have one where the camera works as its supposed to.

That doesn't mean I don't recognize that without a case, my iPhone has a design issue.

Obviously you accept the design flaw as well. And good for you. But if you want to keep maintaining there IS no issue - then I suggest you go listen to your buddy Steve Jobs again.

g30hd3

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2010
steve_koolaid2.jpg

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Yeah if you don't believe there are people out their who will own a product just to prove to others it doesn't work than you don't read this forum very much. Apple never said their phone was flawed or had bad reception, in fact they said it had better reception. This is the problem with all the deathgrippers it's not enough to convince people that they may occasionally be able to experience the deathgrip but they have this unusual desperate need to convince the world that the phone is defective. The problem is nobody cares anymore we've all watched the youtube videos, we've all seen the press conference, and we've all tested it ourselves. We either decided to keep it or return it. So you can stop trying to convince people that the phone doesn't work. Anyone who has the phone and it doesn't work for them and they don't return it is either trying to prove something or just plain ignorant.

Who am I trying to convince? Don't attribute any behavior like that to me. I never said return it. Your phone is horrible. The iPhone is a terribly phone.

As I said - there could be many reasons people are staying with the iPhone. That doesn't make them ignorant. It makes them tolerant.

But keep on believing whatever you want. It's obvious to everyone reading your posts how out of touch you truly are.

falconeight

Original poster
Apr 6, 2010
What drama? The phone is flawed. I accept that. I have a case. I'm happy with the iPhone4 now that I have one where the camera works as its supposed to.

That doesn't mean I don't recognize that without a case, my iPhone has a design issue.

Obviously you accept the design flaw as well. And good for you. But if you want to keep maintaining there IS no issue - then I suggest you go listen to your buddy Steve Jobs again.

All phones have the same issue get that through your head. If the Nexus one put a dot where the antenna was people would be able to touch it and make bars go down. Its not revolutionary that this phone drops bars it happens to all phones. Stop touching the antenna and its fine. I haven't dropped a call only .55 % of owners are having a problem the rest is just spin and baseless accusations.

Why do people think that? The whole stainless steel band is advertised as being the antenna and everybody on MR knows the location of the "antenna."

Won't proper education as to where the antenna is be more beneficial?

No because people don't know how to handle it. Its like people getting mad that their electronic device turns off when the battery is taken out. I guess thats why apple takes that option away.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
All phones have the same issue get that through your head. If the Nexus one put a dot where the antenna was people would be able to touch it and make bars go down. Its not revolutionary that this phone drops bars it happens to all phones. Stop touching the antenna and its fine. I haven't dropped a call only .55 % of owners are having a problem the rest is just spin and baseless accusations.

and here we are back at the beginning. I'm not going to respond to you unless you take the conversation further rather than circling back to items we've already discussed. The .55 percent figure is flawed. All phones have the same issue - I typed that myself. All phones equal the iPhone as well. So the iPhone has an issue.

Glad you finally admit that the iPhone has a reception issue. Maybe now that you've admitted that you can move on to something else.

No because people don't know how to handle it. Its like people getting mad that their electronic device turns off when the battery is taken out. I guess thats why apple takes that option away.

Wow. Just Wow.

How old are you?

You are an advertiser and PR professional's wet dream.

falconeight

Original poster
Apr 6, 2010
Wow. Just Wow.

How old are you?

You are an advertiser and PR professional's wet dream.

I am more than likely older than you and no I am just not a drama queen and I am tired of all this nonsense. Some of you people have nothing better to do that sit around complaining about nothing. Find a real cause and attack it.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I am more than likely older than you and no I am just not a drama queen and I am tired of all this nonsense. Some of you people have nothing better to do that sit around complaining about nothing. Find a real cause and attack it.

I'd be surprised if you were based on your writing. Maybe you just don't type well.

But I love your hypocrisy. I guess some of "you" have nothing better to do that sit around trying to convince people of something Apple has admitted themselves in a press conference. To quote you, "Find a real cause..."

gecis

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
People who are whining a lot seriously need a bitch slap. I for one completely agree with the op and couldn't possibly imagine using any other phone.

s8film40

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2007
Who am I trying to convince? Don't attribute any behavior like that to me. I never said return it. Your phone is horrible. The iPhone is a terribly phone.

As I said - there could be many reasons people are staying with the iPhone. That doesn't make them ignorant. It makes them tolerant.

But keep on believing whatever you want. It's obvious to everyone reading your posts how out of touch you truly are.

Then why do you need to keep spreading misinformation? What purpose does that serve?

I'm will keep believing what I want, the phone works, and there will always be people ready and wiling to try to convince me it doesn't. This will not change.

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
You should email Jobs and see if he'd like to meet you for drinks and ... whatever may come, teehee.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Then why do you need to keep spreading misinformation? What purpose does that serve?

I'm will keep believing what I want, the phone works, and there will always be people ready and wiling to try to convince me it doesn't. This will not change.

what misinformation am I spreading? I'm not trying to convince you it doesn't work. Have you been reading and understanding any of my posts? Have a nice Sunday...

s8film40

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2007
and here we are back at the beginning. I'm not going to respond to you unless you take the conversation further rather than circling back to items we've already discussed. The .55 percent figure is flawed. All phones have the same issue - I typed that myself. All phones equal the iPhone as well. So the iPhone has an issue.

It could be argued that the numbers are skewed the other way as well. Some people who saw the youtube videos probably called in to ask about it and then realized that it really is a non issue. This is just the nature of this type of statistic, like I had said previously I'm sure the dropped call statistic was skewed by all the people squeezing their phones trying to replicate the deathgrip, I think almost everyone tried it.

falconeight

Original poster
Apr 6, 2010
I'd be surprised if you were based on your writing. Maybe you just don't type well.

But I love your hypocrisy. I guess some of "you" have nothing better to do that sit around trying to convince people of something Apple has admitted themselves in a press conference. To quote you, "Find a real cause..."

See you are doing nothing but trying to attack my person. You have no argument if you have not returned the phone and moved on. If I felt as passionate as you do about the phone not working I would not be here discussing it I would of bought another one and moved on. You are children and have no argument so do us a favor and be quiet we are trying to use our new phones

s8film40

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2007
what misinformation am I spreading? I'm not trying to convince you it doesn't work. Have you been reading and understanding any of my posts? Have a nice Sunday...

Yes I have. You wanna point me in the direction of the quote from Steve Jobs saying the phone has a reception issue, or maybe the statement from Apple saying the phone is flawed.

falconeight

Original poster
Apr 6, 2010
Lets talk hard numbers:
.55 have called with problems
1.7% have returned phones with att

So here is the issue some people are complaining that don't own the phone. The problem is not as bad as people are making it out to be because they are keeping the phone. Some are mentally ill and need intervention. Some buy into the media spin. Some like people clicking on their youtube video. Some just like complaining about nothing. Some have a secret agenda. And some are jealous that they are still in a contract with their sub par 3GS.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
It could be argued that the numbers are skewed the other way as well. Some people who saw the youtube videos probably called in to ask about it and then realized that it really is a non issue. This is just the nature of this type of statistic, like I had said previously I'm sure the dropped call statistic was skewed by all the people squeezing their phones trying to replicate the deathgrip, I think almost everyone tried it.

Right - so the statistic is flawed. So it can't prove or disprove anything. So why do people insist that only .55 percent have an issue. My only "point" was that the statistic was meaningless as presented. Looks like you agree now.

Yes I have. You wanna point me in the direction of the quote from Steve Jobs saying the phone has a reception issue, or maybe the statement from Apple saying the phone is flawed.

"It's very hard to escape the conclusion that there is a problem, but the problem affects a very small percentage of users," Jobs said.

These "weak spots," Jobs said, are just a fact of life in today's smartphone market. "We knew if you gripped it in a certain way the bars ware going to go down a bit just like every smartphone," he said. "We didn't think it was going to be a big issue."

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
It's pointless to try an engage you in conversation. You're too egocentric to see outside your own bubble.

If it was that huge of a problem in every day use, the return rate would be far higher. Thread over. There's no doubt this is being sensationalized.

Sledutah

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
Utah
I just watched Steve jobs speech and thought it was emotional, heart felt, and presented all the data necessary to prove that all the complaining is baseless. He is even giving a free case just to be nice. It is very rare that you have the boss of such a large company handle all the PR for the company. My phone works great it looks awesome, it has awesome apps, I call people all the time and they answer. Facetime kicks arse, and my family loves it. And it takes some damn nice pictures. The only mistake apple made was telling people where the antennae was. Great phone by far the best piece of tech on the market.

Is this you?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPcQ-cYg8iA

The iP4 has so many bugs in it, hard to believe it took 3 weeks to come out with a software update, the only thing it did was show the correct signal, not the inflated one they've been showing for all these years!
I think apple (SJ) just gave a big FU to all their customers. The press conference was a joke. SJ was not happy to be there (I don't blame him, but it's his fault).
a) He never said they would actually fix anything the right way (hardware). b) He brought other phone companies into his problem.
c) He tried to placate the masses by giving something away for free (band-aid).
d) He told you how much money they spent on a test chamber (hope they get their money back, it didn't work) and on new stores.
e) He briefly said they were "hopefully" going to get a software update to fix the major problem that is on every phone, the proximity sensor. (~28 min into the video)

Here is why I returned mine, and now I'm using my 3gs again. I'll be looking for something else after apple resets my contract. Maybe I'll buy another iPhone in the future, I don't know.
1) Proximity sensor, I hated to even pick the phone up to make/receive a call because I knew I would be hitting the screen with my face.
2) The signal would drop just laying it my hand, in landscape mode. The signal drop in no big deal (even SJ said they all do it). BUT, when the signal dropped, the data rate would go to zero. Without data transfer you can't do anything.
3) Bluetooth was very poor. I have a speaker/mic set up in the car. Sometimes it would never recognize it, but most of the time it connected. Almost every call I was on people said it sounded bad (never on my 3gs).
4) Wireless signal fluctuated in my house. Never had that problem before.

After all that, the iP4 is a great gadget. It was alot of fun to "play with", but it failed miserably as a PHONE.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.