Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gary Irwin

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2011
I might have missed the sarcasm in that post, but the results are annoying (my similar spec is about to be delivered). 700MB/s is nothing to sneeze at, but since they can get the rMBP and nMP with 1Tb SSD to hit 1000 and more, it feels a bit mean of them to have put a comparatively crippled SSD in there...

Apparently Apple sacrificed some "lanes" for more external USB ports. You can't have everything.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
Let me start buy saying I didn't get the 27" retina so I hope this is ok to post. I just ordered a new iMac 21.5" after buying one at Best Buy. The issue I have with the Best Buy version is the 1TB 5400 RPM HDD. This HDD just cripples the entire computer if you ask me. So I decided to go big ordered the i7, 16GB RAM and the 512 SSD. I'm paying a premium but after seeing how difficult it can be to replace the RAM and HDD I decided this was the best route. The good news is MACs last and the machine I ordered should last at least another 3 years. I do realize that I could have gotten the 27" retina for what I paid but I have no room for a 27" MAC. Can't wait to fire it up. Hope it arrives this Friday as I was taking the day off anyway. Very exciting.

Col Vandal

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2010
California
Let me start buy saying I didn't get the 27" retina so I hope this is ok to post. I just ordered a new iMac 21.5" after buying one at Best Buy. The issue I have with the Best Buy version is the 1TB 5400 RPM HDD. This HDD just cripples the entire computer if you ask me. So I decided to go big ordered the i7, 16GB RAM and the 512 SSD. I'm paying a premium but after seeing how difficult it can be to replace the RAM and HDD I decided this was the best route. The good news is MACs last and the machine I ordered should last at least another 3 years. I do realize that I could have gotten the 27" retina for what I paid but I have no room for a 27" MAC. Can't wait to fire it up. Hope it arrives this Friday as I was taking the day off anyway. Very exciting.

You can save some money on that by buying your own RAM. It's way easy to install.

Nemic

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2012
I might have missed the sarcasm in that post, but the results are annoying (my similar spec is about to be delivered). 700MB/s is nothing to sneeze at, but since they can get the rMBP and nMP with 1Tb SSD to hit 1000 and more, it feels a bit mean of them to have put a comparatively crippled SSD in there...

Not being sarcastic at all, I really had no idea - although I was sort of anticipating something closer to 1000 MB/s.

But I'm not super happy about hearing that the rMBP and nMP have faster SSD's :-(

tillsbury

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2007
Not being sarcastic at all, I really had no idea - although I was sort of anticipating something closer to 1000 MB/s.

But I'm not super happy about hearing that the rMBP and nMP have faster SSD's :-(

If you want faster, get an external LaCie SSD raid array, which will give you 1200 or so.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Maxed everything but the TB SSD and the RAM. Ordered crucial RAM instead for half the price. Now the RAM is sitting on my desk taunting me. Come on next week!

Fetched A$1500 for my four year old late 2010 i5 iMac, which could have easily lasted me another two years or so what with it's 256SSD+3TB internal HD, 16GB RAM and 1GB Radeon HD card.

This new beast will last me for another five years at least.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-10-28 at 20.04.32.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-28 at 20.04.32.png
    68.4 KB · Views: 66

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
You can save some money on that by buying your own RAM. It's way easy to install.

Actually that's the problem its not that easy anymore especially the RAM. You have to literally disassemble the entire PC to get to the RAM thus voiding the warranty. The hard drive was more doable but the tape they used to hold the display in just sounds like a mess. The older one you could disassemble and Apple may not have been able to tell (not voiding the warranty) but the new ones its difficult. I'm talking about the 21.5" of course.

FarFromHomeFish

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2007
My status now reads, "Preparing for shipment" :D

Ordered 10/23 morning, expedited delivery.
My status went to preparing for shipment overnight! I ordered 10/23 at 6pm with expedited delivery.

Based on other responses in this thread, it looks like it takes 1-2 days to go from preparing for shipment to shipped. Does that sound right?

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
My status went to preparing for shipment overnight! I ordered 10/23 at 6pm with expedited delivery.

Based on other responses in this thread, it looks like it takes 1-2 days to go from preparing for shipment to shipped. Does that sound right?

I'd like to know the answer to that too.
I ordered 10/24 evening but not expedited.
Just changed to preparing for shipment.

Talarspeed

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2009
Mine was ordered on the 22nd and shipped the 27th. My scheduled delivery via FedEx is Thurs, the 30th. There has not been a status update for 24 hours (the last location was Shanghai).
I live in Memphis where the hub is located; something tells me that this will be here a day early.

My original delivery was slated Nov 2-4th.

Mac, M.D.

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2014

That's my understanding as well. My original scheduled delivery is 11/4-6 (expedited) but I hope it comes in later this week! :D:apple:

enroh

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2012
Maxed everything but the TB SSD and the RAM. Ordered crucial RAM instead for half the price. Now the RAM is sitting on my desk taunting me. Come on next week!

Fetched A$1500 for my four year old late 2010 i5 iMac, which could have easily lasted me another two years or so what with it's 256SSD+3TB internal HD, 16GB RAM and 1GB Radeon HD card.

This new beast will last me for another five years at least.

I thought the Aussies got ripped on Apple pricing? That config is $3579 CDN and thats before taxes and shipping.
My config (which I still havent pulled the trigger on) is $3896.24 w/taxes and shipping (non-expedited)

i7/8GB/256GB SSD/295X/AppleCare

mac.rumors

macrumors regular
May 9, 2008
London, UK
My order shipped Sunday night from China and I just got Fedex notification that it has been delivered!! Can't wait to get home this evening.

Mac, M.D.

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2014
Update: Shipped!! Estimated delivery: Fri 10/31/2014 by 10:30 am :D:D

Originally ordered 10/23 in the a.m., expedited delivery, original scheduled delivery for 11/4-6.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I got my iMac Retina today. I ordered the following configuration:
  • 3,5Ghz CPU
  • 16GB RAM
  • 512GB SSD
  • Standard graphics card

My first impressions are that the display is amazing. I don't think I can really describe it or that any pictures can do it justice..

I just finished restoring my Time Machine backup, so a lot of processes are running and the CPU is quite busy. Aperture is generating previews for about 9,000 images as we speak. The only stutter I see is when invoking Mission Control. Apart from that everything seems to be very fast.
Scrolling in Safari is good and I think that Apple did a great job with this iMac. What impresses me is the quality of the display. Not only is it really sharp, but it looks amazing...Color uniformity is really good. I don't think I want to ever use another display...

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
Status update for anyone interested. USA.

Ordered 10/23 around 7pm EST with available to ship 7-10 business days.
Preparing to ship 9:30pm on 10/27
Shipped 12:50pm 10/28
Fedex estimated delivery scheduled for 10/31 by 10:30am.

This was paying for expedited shipping which quite frankly does not appear to speed anything up at all. Ship Tues, arrive Fri? I have seem much faster "non expedited" deliveries. Yes, I'm impatient.

YummyIceCream

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2014
USA
Status update for anyone interested. USA.

Ordered 10/23 around 7pm EST with available to ship 7-10 business days.
Preparing to ship 9:30pm on 10/27
Shipped 12:50pm 10/28
Fedex estimated delivery scheduled for 10/31 by 10:30am.

This was paying for expedited shipping which quite frankly does not appear to speed anything up at all. Ship Tues, arrive Fri? I have seem much faster "non expedited" deliveries. Yes, I'm impatient.

Well, aren't you lucky? I just ordered mine today, and the estimated delivery date is on November 11-14!
And I paid for faster shipping!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.