Resolved iCloud Drive says it's full, but isn't?

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by tevion5, May 10, 2017.

1. tevion5 macrumors 68000

tevion5

I have an issue where my iCloud Drive claims to be full.

It reports my current usage as being "59GB of 50GB". This is reported on my iPhone 6S and MacBook Pro. I have a 50GB plan for 0.99c a month. But what I don't understand is that it doesn't add up.

The main thing I use it for is Documents and Data. This accounts for 30GB.

I don't use Photo Stream or iCloud Photo Library.
    I don't use iCloud iPhone backups, I backup to my mac.
    Mail only accounts for 21.2MB.
    I do pay for Apple Music, but iCloud music library is turned off. (Tried setting it up twice but didn't work. Plan to retry the I have time.)

So what is it? Does anyone have any ideas where this magic extra 29GB of usage is coming from?

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Ho hum, very odd. Could you open your Mac and throw on System Preferences> iCloud> Manage (located at the bottom right). I'll show you mine, you show me yours. ;)

Screen Shot 2017-05-10 at 22.07.08.png

Am I right in saying that yours shows something similar, but the numbers on the left don't add up and storage is somehow over?

3. tevion5 thread starter macrumors 68000

tevion5

Here it is, rather odd alright.

Actually thinking about it more I have a suspicion. Could it be possible that my entire iTune music library is on my iCloud? It turns out iTunes on my mac said it actually was set up, despite me never seeing it properly complete. That is roughly about 30GB. But I turned iCloud Music Library off on iTunes now, and it was off on my iPhone and yet the problem still remains.

As you can see below, it doesn't seem to add up. (Note: My iPhone reports that the figure is 59/50GB, suggesting around 29GB of unaccounted usage.)

SC1.png

SC2.png

4. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Well, that is a pickle. It could be that there was a half-sync on some music and now it's just not grafting.

You could try to sign out from iCloud on all your devices, then sign back in. Any better?

If not, could you go to www.icloud.com and sign in, then go to Settings – how does the storage break down there?

Screen Shot 2017-05-10 at 22.28.58.png

5. tevion5 thread starter macrumors 68000

tevion5

Pretty much the exact same story as given on my iPhone.

SC3.jpg

6. keysofanxiety, May 10, 2017
    Last edited: May 10, 2017

keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Man that is weird. The only thing I've found out based on the names of your devices is that you're a Battlestar Galactica fan. If I'm off the mark with that one too then I really have been 100% useless today. :D

I'm afraid I'm out of ideas, really sorry about that! It may be worth speaking with Apple Support if you haven't already?
    --- Post Merged, May 10, 2017 ---
    OK wait, let's try one more thing. Call it a desperate flash of inspiration as iCloud.com is showing it all used up by Docs. I imagine iCloud is backing up your Desktop & Documents from your Mac. Has there been anything enormous that's found its way onto your Documents or Desktop?

What does the Get Info on your Mac look like? If it is backing up through iCloud, it won't be visible through Macintosh HD> Users, so you'll need to check from the sidebar instead.

Screen Shot 2017-05-10 at 22.43.33.png

If that all looks OK, how about we sign back into iCloud and then disable iCloud Drive/Documents? It might take quite some time to unsync mind you, as it'll have to copy from the cloud back to local... but maybe that might do the trick.

7. tevion5 thread starter macrumors 68000

tevion5

Sadly not, my iCloud folder has been reporting 30GB total now and for a long time :/

I think I need some way to wipe my entire iCloud drive. Then maybe fill it up again with my documents fro scratch. Only I can't find anything online relating to that. Thanks for your effort! Appreciate you taking your time to brainstorm and reply :)

8. QzzB macrumors regular

QzzB

Had a similar thing on my iCloud twice now. Had to contact Apple Support.

I was told by support that what they think it is might be the reservation of uploading files. I had a game that was writing loads of config files to my docs folder that I had synced on iCloud. What the sync client was doing was reserving the space. I made it worse by trying to stop the sync when I saw that it was stuck uploading by removing the files. One of the iCloud engineers needed to go in and manually remove the file reservations.

Think the total of my files were about 5mb but it ate up my entire storage for some reason. possibly a bug but Apple managed to fix it eventually.

9. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

The last time this happened to me it cleared up on its own an hour later.

Maybe just wait a bit? How long has it been like that?

10. tevion5 thread starter macrumors 68000

tevion5

I think I will also just have to talk to Apple support. I have scheduled a call with them tomorrow so hopefully that resolves it!
    --- Post Merged, May 12, 2017 ---
    I've been waiting around 48 hours now and the issue still remains.

11. tevion5, May 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2017

tevion5 thread starter macrumors 68000

tevion5

Contacted Apple support today after scheduling a phone call with them yesterday.

Apparently there is a rare issue where iCloud allocates space for a backup/music library or something like that an then because of some coincidental error that occurs in the middle of the process, forgets to let go of that space even after you cancel those files being kept in the cloud.

So this is what was wrong and they were able to explain the issue and rectify it pretty much straight away. Anyone else experiencing the same issue just needs to schedule a free call with Apple support and let them know you're having trouble.

It's working now again, and I am only using up the space I am actually making use of!

12. elpietri macrumors newbie

Apparently there is a rare issue where iClpud allocates space for a backup/music library or something like that an then because of some coincidental error that occurs in the middle of the process, forgets to let go of that space even after you cancel those files being kept in the cloud.

So this is what was wrong and they were able to explain the issue and rectify it pretty much straight away. Anyone else experiencing the same issue just needs to schedule a free call with Apple support and let them know you're having trouble.

It's working now again, and I am only using up the space I am actually making use of![/QUOTE]

I am having a similar issue and it's been over 2 months now. I ran out of space (50 GB) by using iCloud for Photos, Backup and Documents. Had ~29GB in photos/videos and ~20GB in Documents. Decided to turn off iCloud drive on all my devices. Re-created my Documents folder in my iMac and went to iCloud online to delete all the Documents there that were taking ~20GB of space. Deleted them, but it still shows as used up and won't release it. I called Apple Support, twice, two different techs. One said he needed to submit the case to Engineering. Never got back to me. Called again and complained. Escalated to a supervisor who said the same thing. After two weeks she responded that she is still waiting to hear from Engineering. It's been 2 weeks again and I haven't heard a beep. I know it has something to do with their server and the allocations and it will need manual intervention from them to release it, but it is frustrating having to wait this long. Still paying for 50GB but using only 29GB... and no backups in 2 months.

13. fareal macrumors newbie

Call again and ask them to look for "reserved storage space" in your iCloud account. Took a bit, but that is how they resolved mine.