Inaugural Summer PowerPC Challenge! July 1-8, 2017

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Gamer9430, Apr 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
  1. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Do you have the Rich Text Editor on?

If there is a series of text formatting tools inside the reply box then you have it on. Go into your settings here on the forum and turn it off.

It's javascript code that is executing ALL the time and it's that issue that causes the forum to drag.

You can still format text using tags enclosed by brackets. B for Bold, I for italics, U for underline, S for strikethrough and QUOTE for quotes. The end tag is proceeded by a forward slash "/".

Smilies will appear if you use standard texting characters.

Hope that helps.

2. xdanieldzd macrumors newbie

Yeah, disabling it seems to have helped a bit, at least typing a post appears to be less laggy now. Scrolling the page is still kinda choppy and all, but that's not too big of a deal, the forum is certainly useable despite that.

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

What browser are you using?

4. xdanieldzd macrumors newbie

I'm mostly using Leopard WebKit, on which ex. this thread visibly redraws parts of the page as I scroll. It's a minor-ish issue and to me kinda feels like... frameskip in games vs full-on slowdown, if that makes any sense.

I also have TenFourFox installed, which I tend to avoid because it's slow to start up and just slow to use overall. I don't think I've checked your tweak/add-on thread yet tho, so maybe there's still improvements to be had there.

(Also have some other browsers, some of which don't even render the page correctly, presumably because of their age and the site's CSS, so they're out anyway.)

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

If you go over here: http://tenfourfox.blogspot.com/2017/05/feature-parity-release-finally-preview.html

You can get the latest beta version. Note that beta does not mean unstable. FP1 is considerably faster to start up.

If you do check my tweaks thread the easy options are listed at the top of the first post. You can simply download my prefs file and replace yours with that. You get all of my tweaks at once.

6. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

Make sure you use the included script for disabling Topsite previews - I don't know the exact impact on CPU it has but not making website screen captures in the background must help things along.

Last time I tried the TFF tweaks from here I found they turned javascript off - a real speed boost but breaks virtually every website.
    When using TFF you need to use a plugin to selectively turn off unwanted javascript (NoScript or uMatrix) - a pain to initially setup but essential to increase performance.

7. benbranca macrumors newbie

benbranca

PS3 Should be allowed because it is from the PowerPC era. Also, kudos for editing that on a G4.

8. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

Alright I am ready for PPC week. Got my G4 PowerMac setup with dual monitors and TenFourFox and a version of Evernote for it. [​IMG]

9. Slix macrumors 6502a

Slix

Looks really nice! I love seeing G3 and G4 towers next to each other.

Have you looked into Teleport for your multi-keyboards on the desk? :)

10. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

Yes I have but I just don't feel like using it. Multiple mice/keyboards doesn't bother me.

11. jouster macrumors 65816

I've been looking for an excuse to fire my Cube up. Will report back!

12. appleish19 macrumors regular

appleish19

Looking forward to participating in this challenge since I've gotten my new 15 inch MacBook Pro and am looking forward to seeing what my numerous PowerPCs can do in 2017 :D

13. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Popcorn ready.

Lawnchair, check.

Drinks with tiny umbrellas, ready.

14. RhianB macrumors 6502

RhianB

Airconditioning, - Check
    Tacos - Check
    Pepperoni/Jalapeno & sausage/mushroom/greenchile pizza - Check
    Beer - Double check.

:)

15. Adamscomputerrepair macrumors 6502

Adamscomputerrepair

You guys have forgotten as I did that xbox 360 and wii are allowed.

If you have one, Netflix, Hulu, even Amazon video will be no problem. Just watch them on the tv like I do.

ITS NOT CHEATING DONT TAKE THIS FROM ME!!!!

.....Also I’m in.

16. EnderCow macrumors newbie

EnderCow

Looks like this'll be a fun challenge, it might be bending the rules a bit, but I have an iPhone 4 on iOS 6, and since you can use iOS 6 with Leopard, I'll be using it; although a 3G would be tempting. Just fixed up my old PowerBook G4 before seeing this post!

17. VanneDC macrumors 6502a

VanneDC

Might just have snagged a quad G5.. I'll need to flash a fx4500, but that will be the easy part. (Have had the 4500 for about 5 years already) is there a version of WOW that still runs on ppc? And recommend any private servers?

18. Gamer9430 thread starter macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

We are officially within 10 users away from breaking the previous record of 44 members signed up for this challenge! Just a reminder to make sure that you are on the official list if you plan on partaking in the challenge. If you aren't, please make a post saying that you aren't and I or someone else will add you to the list. Also, feel free to share this event out on other forums, websites, etc. I really want to see if we can break this record and even make it to 50 users signed up!

We're also just under 2-weeks away from the challenge, so make sure all your Macs are ready to fire on all cylinders like its 2005!

19. VanneDC, Jun 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2017

VanneDC macrumors 6502a

VanneDC

Should be good to go by then, unless the sale falls through. Will keep it updated. Grrr.. sale fell through.. still looking for a quad. :(

20. Liggysmalls macrumors newbie

Liggysmalls

My G5 system is coming along nicely and just about ready to go. I finally had a few minutes to get my blog up and running, it's a bit anemic right now but I am looking forward to adding content regularly. Stop by Antechquated.com and have a look, let me know how you like it.

Ten days away, get your updates done early!

21. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

Great blog - love the name :) The 2.3 G5 is still a capable machine for OSX or Linux - look forward to reading how it works out.

22. EnderCow macrumors newbie

EnderCow

Wondering what I should do right now.. I am debating getting a 1.67Ghz DLSD PBG4 or getting a dual 2Ghz G5.. I currently have a 1.5Ghz PBG4. The powerbook would be a lot cheaper, especially shipping

23. pet84rik macrumors member

pet84rik

I will try to do that. Only having a lower end of spectrum PPC devices, but I will try to make Coreplayer to work with YT videos on my PowerBook 12" (1,5 GHz, 1,25 GB RAM).
    I know that it is capable of other web browsing, music recording, small video editing, etc.

24. amagichnich macrumors regular

amagichnich

Haha :D love it
    I need more time!! Couldn't fix my PowerBook 1400 screen yet and I want to use it as a digital typewriter :D

25. rtk05 macrumors newbie

rtk05

Looks fun, sign me up!
    I'll dig my g5 quad out of the closet and get her ready.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.