Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
Found a Limit for my PPC. My work has a 802.11AC Inter-Access Point Protocol Wireless network. My PowerBook will not even connect to out network due to the wireless card being so old.....
Nothing a PCMCIA card won't fix on the cheap, unless its a 12" PowerBook of course.

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
I'm planning to record some video of my experiences (with an old camcorder!) and edit it to upload to YouTube during the week. :)

Reactions: AmazingHenry

amagichnich

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2017
Stuttgart, Germany
I'm officially stupid from now on :D I thought we're starting in June... therefore I put my Windows PC in the storage room and rearranged my desk to have only PPCs here. Just to realise that we're starting in July :oops:
[doublepost=1496252599][/doublepost]Maybe I make a test run week now cause I'm too lazy to undo my hard work :D

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
I'm officially stupid from now on :D I thought we're starting in June... therefore I put my Windows PC in the storage room and rearranged my desk to have only PPCs here. Just to realise that we're starting in July :oops:
[doublepost=1496252599][/doublepost]Maybe I make a test run week now cause I'm too lazy to undo my hard work :D

And your post woke me up also , been ordering a charger hoping it arrives tomorrow for the first day of the Challenge and just now realised that it's in July :)

Reactions: Gamer9430

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Glad to see the enthusiasm for the challenge! Really looking forward to it as well

amagichnich

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2017
Stuttgart, Germany
Challenge is year-round for me! :D @amagichnich if you're looking for a real challenge start it now and end when everyone else ends! :)
I actually use PPCs for most of the time now. But I need one powerful machine for watching and editing fHD and 4K movies as well as running several virtual machines and for compiling. And I play that little online game that requires the newest flash version :D

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 22, 2014
USA
So, what's the final decision on devices? Are we going with anything that's compatible with PowerPC, or just things from the PPC Era?

Here is what we have agreed on:
dcd6c415b1a8b5043adfca62f90ce500.png

This is the general consensus given to me by several users who criticized my original ruling.

benbranca

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2017
Oh, can I use an iPhone 3GS, or am I not allowed to? iPhone 3GS was around the time of the launch of Snow Leopard.

Reactions: Gamer9430

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
"Any device compatible with Leopard and below..."

So basically all latest iOS-devices are back in game again, considering, that with certain iOS-Apps (like iFiles etc) it is possible to connect iOS with PPC via AFP for filesharing, screensharing, cloud-services, streaming music or even video located on the PCC through the iOS-device to any other AirPlay device.

xdanieldzd

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2017
Germany
Having already expressed interest back in April (and not having posted anything here since *cough*), I've made up my mind and am going to participate, most likely with my Power Mac G4 1.6 GHz and PB3400c/200. The former runs fine aside from its flaky USB 2.0 PCI card - on which only one port works reliably -, while the latter probably won't see much use, but has at least gotten a minor upgrade via a Cardbus USB card - on which also only one port appears to work, for whatever weird reason. I will have to use a modern Windows PC at work, running proprietary database software, but elsewhere it'll be all PowerPC.

In addition, as more of a console gamer than a PC or Mac one, I'll also try to stick to PPC-based systems there, such as the GameCube/Wii or, while not as old, the PS3 (Cell is PPC-related, right?). Might be a good time to start another playthrough of Metroid Prime or Zelda: Wind Waker, I suppose!

(Edit: posted from said G4, btw; only wish this site was a bit more responsive in its browsers...)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.