Inaugural Summer PowerPC Challenge! July 1-8, 2017

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Gamer9430, Apr 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
  1. bobesch macrumors 6502a

bobesch

Ok, I'm kind of in...
    even if it's just to find out a way to run damn Linux within a VirtualMachine... :D

Ha, I should have said "to run Linux within that damn VirtualPC7..." (sorry Linus-folks!)

2. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

My 68040 crushes you, and has a FPU to add further insult to your injury. :p

3. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I was pretty easily able to do it last time around - think I'll join in and wipe the floor with all of you again. ;)

4. ApplesDotCom101 macrumors member

ApplesDotCom101

Sadly my power mac G5 has given up on me. it won't boot from anything and the second sata port has died. :(

Still gonna try to use my 400MHz power mac G4 running 10.4.11.:apple:

5. KawaiiAurora macrumors 6502

KawaiiAurora

That's sad to hear.. Did ya try USB booting?

6. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

G5s don't support it.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 10, 2017 ---
    Using a 400MHz Mac won't be easy. I suggest you use Camino or TenFourKit for basic websites and (a heavily tweaked) TFF for sites that don't work with those two.

Also, I'm sorry to hear about your G5!

7. KawaiiAurora macrumors 6502

KawaiiAurora

G5s don't support it but G4s do? Weird.. My G4 boots any APM usb pendrive. (Even an OS 9.2.2). A 400MHz G4 isn't too pretty for everyday use and TenForFox is like molasses.

8. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

9. Gamer9430 thread starter macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

NWR G3s, G4s, and G5s all support USB booting... G3 and G4 are easier to boot than the G5, however. You will need to use Open Firmware to boot from USB on the G5s.

10. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

Sorry about that. I can't seem to boot from USB on my G5 but I must be doing something wrong. I also saw a YT video once that said you couldn't boot from USB on a G5. :D

11. amagichnich, Apr 10, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2017

amagichnich macrumors regular

amagichnich

Neither G4s nor G5s boot from USB if you dont change that in the Firmware (at least none of my Macs is capable of that)

12. QSDP-User macrumors regular

QSDP-User

Regarding bootable USB from Low End Mac:
    The Sawtooth G4 not only has bootable USB, which Yikes! does not, but it also has two separate USB controllers, “to better balance the throughput requirements of the individual USB devices on the bus.”
    http://lowendmac.com/1999/power-mac-g4-sawtooth/

13. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

We're doing with an Open Firmware command.

14. amagichnich macrumors regular

amagichnich

Hmm even with that command I couldn't get my 1Ghz eMac to boot from USB :confused:

15. mmphosis macrumors newbie

mmphosis

I'm in. @mmphosis

I don't know how to add my name to the list.

16. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Just noticed I'm not on the list either. Perhaps I will add both. Edit: Done.

17. Calum2 macrumors member

Calum2

Count me in
    --- Post Merged, Apr 10, 2017 ---
    Oh, Xbox 360 uses powerpc. Can I use that?

18. iModFrenzy macrumors 6502a

iModFrenzy

Xbox 360 did release during the 2005 era and PowerMac G5s were used for development. I'm no rule maker(summoning @Gamer9430 ) but I'd say a Xbox 360 qualifies somewhat.

19. neozeed macrumors newbie

I was using Qemu back in the day... With the new generic back end it should be more than possible.

Last week I saw a G5 with a Cinema display... I may pick it up. I also think I have a "cheat" around my work VPN requirement... I have to connect with their equipment, but I think I can mitm...

20. ApplesDotCom101 macrumors member

ApplesDotCom101

I just found out that my dad has 10 G5's in the garage! :)

I might get a replacement G5 soon!

21. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

Make sure none of them are Mac Pros. ;)

Are you using "boot;,\\:tbxi"? And booting into OF (Command+Option+O+F) and not Single User Mode?

22. 16bitTechy macrumors newbie

16bitTechy

I'm in! (New account, long-time MacRumorser. Starting up a YouTube channel to do "vintage computing/gaming" stuff, so starting up a new online presence for it everywhere. Rather than use the three different names I've been using on various sites.)

Unfortunately, for work, I *HAVE* to use a Windows 7 computer (custom 64-bit Windows software, plus some obnoxious internal websites that only reliably work with IE, and some external websites that require a modern browser. Plus Cisco VPN that doesn't have PPC-compatible software, needed to access some internal resources, including a VOIP phone client required to do my job that is Windows-only.)

But I can swap my Intel iMac that sits next to my work machine with an iMac G4 easily enough. And can swap my MacBook for a Titanium PowerBook G4. I can even swap my iPhone 7 for an original iPhone (does running Whited00r count?) and *sigh* give up my Apple Watch for a week.

While many people do use PPC as "daily driver," almost all of them are on last-generation PPCs (1.33 GHz G4s or faster, or G5s, running Leopard,) I feel like part of the challenge is to go older. Hence I'll be using machines booted in to Mac OS 9.

If I think I can get away with it, I'll even go pre-Jobs-return and go for even older, System 7.5 machines. The lack of even barely-passable web browsers on them might make that tough, though.

23. KawaiiAurora macrumors 6502

KawaiiAurora

Good luck on your YouTube channel ;) Using a non-PPC computer for work is within the scope of this challange as far as I'm concerned. Runnig Whited00r is okay as it's still iOS 3 (which is PPC compatible). About daily drivers, I use my 1GHz PowerBook G4 coupled with my iPad as my main devices so yeah, a 1GHz G4 ( the 1MB cache L3 helps a lot) is enough for me at least.

About OS 9, I doubt you'll doing much real work if it involves connecting to the internet. Latest browser for OS 9 is Clasilla and it's not exactly very modern (it's based on the original Mozilla suite). Remember, this is a PPC challange so even a Quad 2.5GHz G5 running Ubuntu 16.10 counts! For your sanity, I'd suggest using at least OS X 10.4.11/10.5.8 or a supported version of Ubuntu. OS 9 is out of the question for a daily driver in my books.

I'll add you in the Wikipost ;)

24. bobesch, Apr 11, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2017

bobesch macrumors 6502a

bobesch

Today iLife'06 with iMovie'06HD was in the postbox (a 15$ bargain, when compared to the astral prices at the bay...).
    So my summer challenge will be to save all our family-DV-videos with DV-Camcorder <> Firewire <> Powerbook <> iMove'06.
    Looking foreward to try out the semi-professional capabilities of iMovie'06 which were remove with iMovie'08.
    Maybe also create some webpages with iWeb and RapidWeaver... Let's see. Time is limited.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.