Inaugural Summer PowerPC Challenge! July 1-8, 2017

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Gamer9430, Apr 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
  1. Gamer9430 thread starter macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

Welcome to all the people who have come here via my shares across Reddit!

2. peanutbudder macrumors newbie

Hey, I'm joining you here from Reddit! I would love to join in on this. So far I have 3 G4 towers and 2 G3 towers so I'll have plenty of options to choose from for that week.

3. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

Welcome to the forum! Good luck on that YouTube channel, and be sure to link to it here when you're ready so I can subscribe. ;)

I'm considering going older too. I might just do G4 only (no G5), but I'm also considering using these:
    iMac G4 700MHz (10.4)
    iBook G3 Snow 500MHz (10.4)

If those prove to be too slow it will be my 1.5GHz mini and 1.33GHz iBook G4.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 11, 2017 ---
    Congrats! iLife '06 is the best iLife ever IMO. iMovie '06 is great too. It'd be interesting to see someone make a YouTube video using it.

4. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

5. ApplesDotCom101 macrumors member

ApplesDotCom101

I agree with using a 400mhz mac is hard so I moved my HDD from my 400 to my 500mhz G4 (fastest G4 I have). at least I gain 100mhz :)

6. Slix macrumors 6502a

Slix

Growing up, my family made tons of family videos using old versions of iMovie. So I think during this PowerPC challenge week, if I don't beforehand, I'll try to take a video tour of my room with an old Firewire camcorder and edit it on an old iMac G3 or something and upload it to YouTube for a fun challenge. :)

7. xdanieldzd macrumors newbie

Hey there, another new user coming in from Reddit, /r/retrobattlestations to be exact! Barring any unforeseen circumstances, i.e. the machines I'd intend to use dying on me (which should be rather unlikely...), I'd like to try and participate in the challenge.

The systems in question would probably be my Power Mac G4 "Not-Quicksilver" and - in more limited capacity - my PowerBook 3400c, as they're the most capable PPC Macs of their kinds that I've got, meaning desktop and laptop. There's also an iMac G3 and a PM4400/200 but both of these are a bit iffy these days, the iMac especially (analog board?).

I feel like this would be an interesting challenge, for me specifically too, as I've only really started using PowerPC Macs less than a year ago, when I got my first Power Mac G4. I've had the PB, iMac and especially the 4400 for much longer, but never really regarded them as more than just "neat, old things to play around with". This G4 I've got going now - basically the result of mashing three half-dead machines together and upgrading them - works surprisingly well and I can see myself using it as my main machine for a week.

8. covisio macrumors 6502

covisio

I'll give it a go - I recently revived my old PowerBook G4 1Ghz Alu, put TenFourFox on it. I also have a PowerMac G5 Dual 2.3 sitting unused at work (OS 10.5.8 with CS3). If I get a bit of graphic stuff to do I'll try to do it on that instead of my enforced Windows laptop/Creative Cloud subscription.

9. ApplesDotCom101 macrumors member

ApplesDotCom101

So today I decided to try to fix my G5 and see what happened to it.
    I did a pmu reset and... IT'S ALIVE. it is now currently installing OS X tiger :)

also. the second SATA port is now working so I can now use 2 drives.

i do not know why it stopped working but at least it running now!

10. macgeek18, Apr 15, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2017

macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

For Home I would give it a try. Need to find out if Evernote is compatible with Leopard. I work as a youth pastor and use Evernote and web based Bibles for studying. It would be interesting if I could live with my iMac G4 and 12" PB. But for my main day job would be a no go. I'm an IT guy and need my Windows 10 desktop for everything. Guess I could put aside my iPads and main computers that I read my Kindle books on for a week... I started my Mac adventure on PPC lets see if I can still do it!

11. pochopsp macrumors 6502

pochopsp

On android phones it is not too hard to extract kindle books. Used this method some time ago to read books on my Linux based eBook reader.

12. Slix macrumors 6502a

Slix

I talked to one of my good friends that used to iChat me a lot, and now that she has a MacBook, I decided that during the week in July, I'll use iChat on some of my old PowerPC Macs, and use the iSight camera my family has to video chat with her sometimes during the week. :)

13. pochopsp macrumors 6502

pochopsp

Video chat through iChat is still possible?

14. LarBob macrumors newbie

LarBob

15. lhn555 macrumors newbie

lhn555

Hi, I'd like to join, however I don't believe I have the permission to edit my name into the OP. Thanks

16. Slix macrumors 6502a

Slix

I believe so. I know that Apple axed the MobileMe/iCloud iChat logins for pre-Lion systems a few years back, but AIM should still support it all. I'll actually test it out soon, I haven't had a chance to yet.

17. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

Yeah, it is through AIM. You can even chat with people on modern Macs assuming they have signed into AIM with Messages.

18. doggoli macrumors member

doggoli

I would love to participate
    i just bought a minivga to vga adaptor...which means dual disps baby

19. PowerMac_G5 macrumors newbie

PowerMac_G5

20. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

Good luck! I hope you can get your G5 working before the challenge starts.

21. AL1630 macrumors member

AL1630

I don't have the permissions to edit the post, but would like to participate!

22. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

If someone hasn't done it already, I'll add you.

23. 16bitTechy macrumors newbie

16bitTechy

Absolutely! I'll probably even move a couple older videos from my "personal" channel over to my new "branded just for retro computing/gaming" channel after I post a few new videos.

24. reukiodo macrumors member

reukiodo

If you have the RAM for it, VirtualPC7+XP is still era-appropriate and will run newer software on PPC hardware.

25. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

Well, one problem I have with that is the speed. XP is SO SLOW on VPC7, I tried using it for downgrading my iPhone 2G once but gave up because of the speed. 2 minutes just to get IE open, let alone download Firefox.

My favorite use for VPC7 is running Windows 98. I've used quite a few Windows versions, and I think 98 is one of the best ever.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.