Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oghowie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Should I take this to mean that there is still some loss of signal when holding the phone normally, even with the case on? If so, I may need to cancel my order, since I am primarily in the market for a case that will solve my signal loss issues (since Apple apparently won't).

It has been shown that there is almost always some signal loss while holding a cell phone. It's just been pretty dramatic for the ip4.

WahooSF

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2010
have been in low enough light so far no photo problems the case is beveled around the camera and theres a fair amount of space around the flash as well at least 1/8"

Are there any problems with the flash in the dark? Thanks for the pics and post!

oplix

Suspended
Jun 29, 2008
New York, NY
Sorry but in my opinion it's a really crappy design. They could have made this 5x better simply by extending the plastic to be a bit higher than the front screen.

This offers about as much protection as a invisible shield on the back. Zero protection for the front screen.

sneeks

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2007
Glasgow, UK
I've ordered one of these from Cancom UK today :)

EDIT:

Now cancelled, despite them showing the item as in stock it is not.

sm0

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2007
Wellington, NZ
Thanks guys - just ordered two (iphones not here in NZ til July) so at least I should have mine from day 1 :)

Anyone done the BSE/IS/other skin + feather4 yet? Results/pics please?

Thanks

mzd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
thanks so much for the photos and review! i really wish the front extended just over the front glass though. just enough to cover the edges. :( other than that it looks great. please test the flash when you get a chance.

dork420

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2007
thanks so much for the photos and review! i really wish the front extended just over the front glass though. just enough to cover the edges. :( other than that it looks great. please test the flash when you get a chance.

you know I was worried about that too. But if you really think about it, the phone would really have to almost drop completely face down to really cause damage. Otherwise, I think the sides of the feather protrude enough to be the point of first contact if it landed on its side.

VTAb182

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
you know I was worried about that too. But if you really think about it, the phone would really have to almost drop completely face down to really cause damage. Otherwise, I think the sides of the feather protrude enough to be the point of first contact if it landed on its side.

This happened to my bro's 3G. He didn't have a feather, but it was a similar case that didn't rise above the front edge. Phone in jacket pocket -> bent over to pick something up -> phone takes a swan dive out of pocket -> bye bye mr screen. This is the only reason I'm not getting the feather. Otherwise, it's the perfect case for me

dork420

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2007
This happened to my bro's 3G. He didn't have a feather, but it was a similar case that didn't rise above the front edge. Phone in jacket pocket -> bent over to pick something up -> phone takes a swan dive out of pocket -> bye bye mr screen. This is the only reason I'm not getting the feather. Otherwise, it's the perfect case for me

I wonder if other cases would have prevented damage from the swan dive. Seems like the perfect chink in the armor. I mean, if you want a touch screen device you have to expect vulnerability of the front glass. No?

robotphood

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
The feather is as minimalist as a case can get. It's for grip and occasional dings in a sleek package. It's not meant to protect your phone from falling 5 ft flat on the glass. It's does provide much better protection than an invisible shield though. It's going to absorb some impact whereas an invisible shield is mainly for scratch protection.

VTAb182

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
I wonder if other cases would have prevented damage from the swan dive. Seems like the perfect chink in the armor. I mean, if you want a touch screen device you have to expect vulnerability of the front glass. No?

Very true, but if the front glass wasn't able to touch the ground, it wouldn't have broken. Not saying these are poorly designed cases, just saying not to expect it to protect against much droppage, as stated before in the thread :)

trixnrice

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2008
gl to all ordering outside of CA. Ordered mine on saturday, got email and tracking # by monday, and was told it would be shipped by the 29th. I live an hour from Irvine, CA. I still have not received my feather yet. BS. oh well, must be patient on this one i suppose.

kappaz

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2008
gl to all ordering outside of CA. Ordered mine on saturday, got email and tracking # by monday, and was told it would be shipped by the 29th. I live an hour from Irvine, CA. I still have not received my feather yet. BS. oh well, must be patient on this one i suppose.

Let us know if you have any flash problems with the camera... I definitely like the looks of the feather.

robotphood

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010

I live in Irvine (10 minutes from their contact address) and ordered sunday. Marked as received by USPS but they don't really have live tracking so I'm not sure where it is. Hopefully we see it in the next day or 2.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
After reading this entire thread and initally planning to only install the wrapsol film, I decided to order this case as well. One of the problems I was having was gripping the iPhone. It's too smooth and sleek, keep worrying I'll drop it. Love the minimal look and adds a little more scratch protection and now I won't worry about gripping it. Ordered through Amazon, shipped by incipio and they didnt charge me tax. Noticed they charged tax when I tried to checkout through their website..

Truckondo

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2009
I checked my tracking number and it's now at the Anaheim sort facility. Should be in HB soon. I ordered it last Monday. My new iPhone is listed to ship by the 14th. Hopefully it will ship earlier like when I ordered my 3GS. It would be a nice welcome home gift after my trip to Maui.

mikey4020

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2007
UK
My incipio Feather arrived this morning. Seems like a good case, comfortable to hold. Included screen protector installed and like OP I get a ring bubble round front camera. Never have been a fan of these screen protectors though.

Some pictures below (sorry for quality) :)

EDIT: No problems with flash camera!

MotionxxUSxx

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Unfortunately from those pics it looks as if the sides are not higher than the screen. Therefor you can not lie the phone with the screen down. I like the look of this case but I like how my ifrogz lean has the sides coming up slightly higher than the screen. I also like how the ifrogz lean has velvet inside the case so the back does not get scratched up from dust and particles getting in the case.

Fireproof!

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
Frisco, TX
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Unfortunately from those pics it looks as if the sides are not higher than the screen. Therefor you can not lie the phone with the screen down. I like the look of this case but I like how my ifrogz lean has the sides coming up slightly higher than the screen. I also like how the ifrogz lean has velvet inside the case so the back does not get scratched up from dust and particles getting in the case.

None of the previous generation Feathers' sides went higher than the screen, nor covered the bezel completely.

If you are looking for either of those features, the Feather isn't for you.

But I like the super-slim minimalistic design and have always loved the Feather. Can't wait to get it on my iP4. I simply avoid placing my phone face down and have never had a problem.

mikey4020

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2007
UK
Indeed the edges don't rise above the screen however my 3G case was an incase slider and whilst it did I doubt it would have afforded the screen any more protection than the feather! Sharp edges (kerbs etc) would still have shattered the screen. As for scratches there is two screen protectors in the box!! I went for a case that protected the back gave some impact protection and kept the look of the phone! Also on O2-UK I haven't been able to replicate the signal problem with the case on but I can with the case off!!

TypeMRT

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
I had the PowerSupport AirJacket for almost a year on my 3Gs. It's basically the same as the Feather in that it didn't go past the glass or even cover the bezel. Ive dropped it a few times but I dropped it bad last month and the phone faceplanted on the sidewalk - basically a worst-case scenario. The screen protector has a gouge and the bezel was scratched in 2 places, that's it. No screen damage. My mom had dropped her naked iPhone a day earlier and it's faceplant resulted in a 1-in crack in the glass.
I ordered the Feather to keep the backside from getting messed up when I set my phone down. I'll put screen protectors on both sides (anti-glare on the front) to keep the glass scratch-free.
I'm in Anaheim and haven't received my case that was ordered at noon on Monday. It's frustrated to be so close and able to just pick it up. The USPS website says it should be delivered today. We'll about that.

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
I had the PowerSupport AirJacket for almost a year on my 3Gs. It's basically the same as the Feather in that it didn't go past the glass or even cover the bezel. Ive dropped it a few times but I dropped it bad last month and the phone faceplanted on the sidewalk - basically a worst-case scenario. The screen protector has a gouge and the bezel was scratched in 2 places, that's it. No screen damage. My mom had dropped her naked iPhone a day earlier and it's faceplant resulted in a 1-in crack in the glass.
I ordered the Feather to keep the backside from getting messed up when I set my phone down. I'll put screen protectors on both sides (anti-glare on the front) to keep the glass scratch-free.
I'm in Anaheim and haven't received my case that was ordered at noon on Monday. It's frustrated to be so close and able to just pick it up. The USPS website says it should be delivered today. We'll about that.

They just bumped my delivery date from the 3rd to the 6th even though the thing was shipped on the 29th. I'm in NoVA, which is a four-day ship time from Irvine. Darn the holiday!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.