Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

svndmvn

Nov 6, 2007
Italy
He said Palm, not the pre. Palm has been around forever and has tons of hardware.

in that case Palm is the horse and iPhone is the Ferrari, the comparison used by Palm Pimp is usually quoted by Apple fans, referring to Apple products.

Hutch1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
Guelph, ON
Palm is not even on the map for web share:

wwdc-2009-keynote-1481-rm-eng.jpg

Well it's only been out for three days so you gotta give them a break there. I doubt it will change much though, unless those 50 000 people go ******* on the web.

TLewis

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2007
Heh, welcome to the business world of "good enough".

Apple only has to release an iPhone with features that are "good enough". "Killer features" would be nice, but they not necessary at this point in time. And, today, the iPhone 3GS is probably good enough. For many people, the app store makes up for any shortcomings.

Take a look at the new video features: while many people here won't be using it, it's a great marketing feature. Many non-technical people are unaware that other phones have this feature, and, once they see Apple's marketing ads, they'll probably think: "Ooh, shiny -- the iPhone is cool and advanced!". Keep in mind that Apple's also trying to sell to the nontechnical types, and marketing like this is spot-on (IMO).

(Going off on a tangent: does anyone know if the 3GS has video image stabilization? For usability, that's probably a requirement these days.)

I also believe that the $99 iPhone will hurt the Pre, and that much of the Pre sales will be "carrier-related" (that is, because people like a carrier or because people are contractually stuck with a carrier and are not willing to pay any early termination fees).

Hutch1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
Guelph, ON
Were it not for the horse and buggy, Ferraris would have never existed

Were it not for the primordial soup and single cell organisms, horses and buggies wouldn't existed, so there.

Or for you ID people

If it wasn't for an intelligent designer that designed crap like the Pre we wouldn't have anything to prove that the iPhone was superior.

Raidel

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2009
The Pre is what it is...because of all the Apple engineers going over to palm to help them create the phone. Its basically another iphone...more like an iphone nano? lol with some added features just to differentiate it.

Kevlar

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2004
Great White North
Well it's only been out for three days so you gotta give them a break there. I doubt it will change much though, unless those 50 000 people go ******* on the web.

I am guessing that 12% 'other' has to be largely made up of Palm products cause there are a lot of them out there. A few hundred thousand more Pre units and other WebOS hardware will probably help them as well due to the multi-forms of hardware running the same OS.

WebOS is decent but young. The Pre is early hardware for a new OS and not the greatest hardware which is too be expected. Apple's First Edge iPhone was the first phone hardware apple ever made. The Pre is not the first phone hardware ever made by Palm which is why I am a little disappointed by it. Palm has the experience in the market at which when they released their should of been next too no problems.

With some stability improvements to the Palm, it will be a nice viable option to the iphone if it gets any kind of developer support for its app store.

Goona

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009

I'm talking about the original Palm, I mean they were selling phones before the Pre...

Hutch1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
Guelph, ON
The true measure of success is the number of Flashlight and Fart apps for the platform. How many does Pre have?

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Were it not for the horse and buggy, Ferraris would have never existed.

Wonderful analogy. :rolleyes:

It's their biggest competitor and it launched TWO DAYS AGO. Are you serious? How much thought did you put into that post?

Palm is hardly Apple's biggest competitor. Apple is far more concerned with RIM and the other major players. Palm isn't on anyone's radar these days. We'll see if that changes.

Palm has been making smartphones for years and have no share? Wow, pathetic.

Hutch1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
Guelph, ON
I am guessing that 12% 'other' has to be largely made up of Palm products cause there are a lot of them out there. A few hundred thousand more Pre units and other WebOS hardware will probably help them as well due to the multi-forms of hardware running the same OS.

WebOS is decent but young. The Pre is early hardware for a new OS and not the greatest hardware which is too be expected. Apple's First Edge iPhone was the first phone hardware apple ever made. The Pre is not the first phone hardware ever made by Palm which is why I am a little disappointed by it. Palm has the experience in the market at which when they released their should of been next too no problems.

With some stability improvements to the Palm, it will be a nice viable option to the iphone if it gets any kind of developer support for its app store.

I'm guessing the Other would be Rim products because there is a lot more of them than any Palm products.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
I'm going to throw the OP a bone. The Pre is a nice phone, and I'm impressed with Palm for this achievement. If Apple still just made iPods, the Pre would be my first choice over Blackberry or WinMo.

But, IT IS ABSOLUTELY NOT AN IPHONE KILLER.

Not even close.

It's competition, sure. It even betters the iPhone in a few areas. It even makes me wish Apple would adopt a few features.

But when looking at the phones as a whole, the choice is easy. The 3GS is a polished, well built, amazing piece of kit, and 3.0 software takes care of every shortcoming (except multitasking).

As for multitasking, it's already been demonstrated that the Pre takes a noticeable performance hit when you multitask. So Apple was right. Yes they should give us the choice anyway, but we do have jailbreaking to take care of that don't we?

So I wish Pre users would go back to playing with their new phones rather than coming here and trolling. Seriously. You will get shot down so many different ways.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
http://live.gizmodo.com/

No multitasking. No offscreen gestures. No haptic virtual keyboard or hardware keyboard. no new ports.

Basically it's the same incremental upgrade as seen from the 1G to 2G touch. At least the autofill is cool.

How insecure are you about the Palm Pre that you need to post on an iPhone board seemingly 24/7 trying to publicly convince yourself that the Pre and WebOS is "better" than the iPhone?

At the end of the day, a device is a tool, and people choose whichever one works best for them. Go talk about the Pre on a Palm forum, and stop spamming here.

nachtxeule

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2008
you're arguing online over what phone is better instead of just buying what you want and enjoy it.

why do you guys come on here to justify your opinions? is it going to effect your purchase... honestly?

this is hilarious.

"NO IPHONE IS BETTER" "NO PRE IS BETTER"

competition is there to cause this, and quite frankly the iphone stepped up to the pre ;)

Palm Pimp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
you're arguing online over what phone is better instead of just buying what you want and enjoy it.

why do you guys come on here to justify your opinions? is it going to effect your purchase... honestly?

this is hilarious.

"NO IPHONE IS BETTER" "NO PRE IS BETTER"

competition is there to cause this, and quite frankly the iphone stepped up to the pre ;)
What's hilarious is that I have both the Pre and an iPod Touch.

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
Multitasking is a huge win for the Pre. now that the iPhone has more RAM i'd like it too.

But off screen gestures?
Haptic feedback?
No new ports

Are you kidding me? Who cares

Shabbis

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2008
Not sure how the Pre "smokes" the iPhone 3GS based on the latest specs released (32GB versus 8GB, glass screen versus plastic), not to mention the massive intangibles such as the huge developer base, access to iTunes content over the air, massive user base, etc.

The weakest link with the iPhone, at least in the US, has to be ATT, but the same can be said with many mobile companies.

robothero

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2009
engadget put up a poll for 3gs vs pre vs 3g vs everyone else

combined apple has over 60% of the vote. That settles this debate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.