Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
Sorry that didn't help - sounds weird as if there is some problem with Alpine unit.
According to other forum posts I've seen elsewhere, it seems to be a Carplay problem rather than Alpine itself; hopefully they fix it soon.

Mountaingamer

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2015
I have had the ILX107 since the iPhone X came out. Wireless CarPlay worked great at first. Recently, during phone calls, what appears to happen is the head unit locks up, the call gets disconnected, and I hear a click - click - click, and the head unit is still showing on a call but stuck there. The head unit is stuck, so I have to go to my phone and hang up from there, and the phone is very slow also, but I can eventually hang up and CarPlay works again..... but calls have stopped working. I will try resetting things and report back.

Last edited:

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
I have had the ILX107 since the iPhone X came out. Wireless CarPlay worked great at first. Recently, during phone calls, what appears to happen is the head unit locks up, the call gets disconnected, and I hear a click - click - click, and the head unit is still showing on a call but stuck there. The head unit is stuck, so I have to go to my phone and hang up from there, and the phone is very slow also, but I can eventually hang up and CarPlay works again..... but calls have stopped working. I will try resetting things and report back.
Same deck, same phone (well, I have the one with the Intel modem - but that shouldn't matter). I'm running the 11.3 beta. Only issue I've seen with the ILX-107 and the iPhoneX is that the wifi isn't as strong as it should be (if the iPhone's in the inside pocket of my leather jacket, I get many drops in music playback - brief "hiccups" - if I take the phone out and have it on the seat, it's fine. (thought it might be a cellular problem, so tried it with a local playlist on the phone - nope - it's wifi).

Sounds like you're doing the right thing - delete the deck from your phone and set it up again as new. That should reset the settings and hopefully fix your problem.

You're running the latest released iOS? (11.2.6)

michael2020

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2015
Running CarPlay in a new 2018 BMW and iPhone 6S with 11.2.6.

This has been working fine - I can't find any function that's not working as I believe it should. Now Amazon Music was setup and working but now it seems to work fine on the iPhone just using it at home, but when in the car and selected via CarPlay it takes a long wheel-spinning pause and then says there is something wrong. Doesn't setup the proper screen just says try again later. I made sure that Cellular is setup to support Amazon Music. I should mention that Amazon Music did work at first blush but then quit with no changes I know about.

Any other ideas?

heykaren

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2018
Hey,
I actually was having the same problems. For some reason, my iphone6+ just wasn't connecting to CarPlay. A few hours, I got off the phone with Apple Support. I ended up with a Senior Apple Advisor who did fix the problem.

Unhook from CarPlay

1. Go to settings/general/reset all settings
After phone turns back on:

1. Go to settings/general/restrictions - turn on CarPlay. I believe the new update turns it off.
Turn on car and hook into CarPlay
2. Got to settings/general/carplay - and make sure it can see your car.

It should work. If it doesn't, unhook from CarPlay, turn off car, hook back into CarPlay and turn on car.

Now, I have a Pioneer AVH-4000NEX and mine is thru the USB plug but I think this will still work if you're doing it wirelessly.

If it doesn't work, the Apple Support people were super easy to get. I just went to Apple Support and did it via chat. I ended up on the phone with them while in the car but it still works and that's all that matters!

Last edited:

michael2020

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2015
I'm using IOS11.2.6 with CarPlay on a 2018 BMW.

At first I had various issues but now it seems to have settled down to app startup issues. Generally it shows up in Amazon Music where the app stalls when loading a program, channel, or song. If I restart the app on the phone - just quit the app and start it over, the load sequence fixes itself.

Everything else seems to function now - Music from iTunes, messages, phone, etc.

Goodspeeddf

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2018
I had tested Carplay with others iPhones old IOS versions and than the sound don't show these glitches.
My is iPhone X IOS 11.3, the noise sound on CARPLAY is so bad, with Bluetooth Connection the quality is Better.

Many people with this problem are thinking the cause is Media Car or Cable, but they don't figured out about the real issue of this, IOS 11.3 accurately the sound has changed significantly to bad quality.

When you are playing music in Carplay, You can see the big difference when you change In <Settings> on <Apple music> in <Equalizer> to <Midnight> mode or from (Any mode) back to <Midnight> mode again.
You will listen the quality being better in a short time, but back the problem again in litter time after. In Midnight mode have some secret, I don't realize what is.

I don't know if Apple will fix this on the IOS 11.4 in June.

Today I had resetted iPhoneX to factory settings, no changes, same issue persist!

If anybody have any solution, please let us know.

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
I'm having issues as well with CarPlay in a 2017 VW Golf. But I've decided its mostly either CarPlay or specific apps.

The worst app is Pandora. If I plug in the iPhone without unlocking it and try to open Pandora via CarPlay, it almost never works. Says "Loading...". I think its because Pandora is stuck displaying some ad or promotion for their subscription service. Even if it does load it often fails to load content. If I unlock the phone before plugging it in and start Pandora, its usually ok to control via CarPlay.

At the opposite end of the spectrum, Apple Music always works flawlessly. I'd switch to that service except that it drives me crazy that it seems to ignore the "dislike" option on songs. It makes no sense to me that it keeps playing songs that I've already told it I dislike and not to play. I don't see what was use it is to mark songs disliked.

In between these extremes, I've had other apps that usually work. Google Play Music is pretty reliable. But it doesn't have the UI in CarPlay to thumbs up or down a song, but you can on the phone or website. Spotify works most of the time. Amazon music usually works. Deezer usually does NOT work. iHeartRadio and Slacker Radio work most of the time.

Of all the services I've tried (almost all of them), I like Pandora the best except that its pretty much unusable with CarPlay. I've spent way too much time trying to find an alternative that works. Wish Pandora would fix it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.