Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rhaezorblue

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2012
I’m having an issue in my Ford when I ask Siri to play music, it no longer automatically switches to the Bluetooth audio input. I have the Sync 2 system, not the Sync 3 version that supports full blown CarPlay.

Cdeak

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2017
Just updated my iPhone 6s to iOS 11 and the Bluetooth connection with my car (Renault, using R-link 2) has stopped working. They connect automatically, but a few seconds later the connection is lost. Then they reconnect again and lose connection again. Over and over again.

I've tried everything I can think of: Rebooting both the iPhone and car. Re-pairing devices. Resetting the phone to factory settings. Updated car software. Even tried to shut down my Apple Watch, so it didn't interfere.

Nothing helped.

Everything worked perfect yesterday before the update.
I use the car+phone 2 hours every day, so I'm desperate to get it fixed.

Anyone knows what to do?
[doublepost=1507072573][/doublepost]I am having similar issue. Car is a 2011 Subaru Outback. Phone is a 7plus. As soon as I installed 11.0.2 the bluetooth in my car doesn't work. Can't make calls. Every 20 seconds or so the car bluetooth tries to connect even if I'm not doing anything.

bauchesson

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2017
[doublepost=1507072573][/doublepost]I am having similar issue. Car is a 2011 Subaru Outback. Phone is a 7plus. As soon as I installed 11.0.2 the bluetooth in my car doesn't work. Can't make calls. Every 20 seconds or so the car bluetooth tries to connect even if I'm not doing anything.

my new iphone 8+ was also dropping bluetooth after connecting for a few seconds, also not connecting via USB port; I have a 2015 subaru forester. What DID work, and this is preliminary but it might work for you too - is I went into the settings in my car and deleted the old phone from the memory. And, this is so dumb, but it only worked after I deleted my old phone from 2 different places - from the regular bluetooth menu on the console, and the handsfree menu accessed through the steering wheel. both I had to do manually. then i paired the new phone via the handsfree menu, tested the bluetooth and it stayed connected. That was yesterday. today it paired pretty quickly, then dropped after a minute, but I then moved my phone to a different location and it reconnected and seemed to stay connected. what a hassle.

Slbarkman

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2017
Anybody else having trouble with iOS 11 and Honda and Acura Bluetooth systems?

I'm growing a little concerned after running through a few cars and finding several problems.

• Low playback volume with stored audio
    Low volume on Bluetooth calls making the call impossible
    Contact names will not populate over numbers
    Voice commands from Bluetooth HandsFreeLink no longer work

10.3.3 works fine but iOS 11 does not.

Multiple tests, multiple cars in a range from 2014 - 2018.
[doublepost=1507872819][/doublepost]I have 2017 RDX and since updating to 11.0.2, I noticed sometimes when I receive a call, I get a name, other times, I only see the in coming number even when from a number on my phon’s contact list. Have iphone 6.

Reactions: shawnjohn22

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
Just updated my iPhone 6s to iOS 11 and the Bluetooth connection with my car (Renault, using R-link 2) has stopped working. They connect automatically, but a few seconds later the connection is lost. Then they reconnect again and lose connection again. Over and over again.

I've tried everything I can think of: Rebooting both the iPhone and car. Re-pairing devices. Resetting the phone to factory settings. Updated car software. Even tried to shut down my Apple Watch, so it didn't interfere.

Nothing helped.

Everything worked perfect yesterday before the update.
I use the car+phone 2 hours every day, so I'm desperate to get it fixed.

Anyone knows what to do?
Same with my 2013 Acura MDX.

Chale1

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2017
I'm having the same issue with my BMW F30 2013 and my iPhone 8 Plus on latest fw. Bluetooth audio streaming seems to be working fine, but when receiving a call the connection often drops: the call is still going but goes back to to earspeaker. After 5 seconds the connection is restored and the call is back on speakers.
Let's hope this gets fixed quickly...
[doublepost=1508124613][/doublepost]Exact same issue on 2013 5 series. Cuts back and forth between phone and Bluetooth and looks like the call is ending when it actually isn’t. Super annoying. Music plays fine/uninterrupted so seems to just be a phone issue.

Reactions: stringbeanie

RhysoTDI

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2017
Are you connected to another bluetooth device at the same time as the car?

I had an issue over the weekend where mine kept dropping out but I tracked it down the fact my phone was also connecting to my iZettle pin machine which was on charge. The only way I got it work reliably was to stream music.

Once I told the phone not to connect to it, it's worked fine ever since :)

nkg554

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2017
Houston, TX
Just got done with an online chat with Apple.

Their answer on this was priceless, they said they haven't received any complaints as of yet regarding bluetooth dropping with iOS 11 or the iPhone 8 or 8+ and that I'm the first to escalate this and that I most likely need to have my firmware updated on my infotainment system in my Murano and there's nothing wrong with the phone or the OS.

...wow
I got the same run around when I went into my Apple Store. Gotta love the arrogance of Apple...

Chale1

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2017
I'm having the same issue with my BMW F30 2013 and my iPhone 8 Plus on latest fw. Bluetooth audio streaming seems to be working fine, but when receiving a call the connection often drops: the call is still going but goes back to to earspeaker. After 5 seconds the connection is restored and the call is back on speakers.
Let's hope this gets fixed quickly...

TH5620

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2016
Mx
on Acura TLX 2015 with navi Contacts dissapear from phonebook after a couple of minutes Also recent calls just show up numbers not names eventought contacts syncing is enable on iPhone and car settings

skipper63

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2010
Same issue here, after updating from 10 to 11.03, bluetooth does not connect in car nor with iMac or Macbook.

appleisler

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2010
Hobart, Australia
So 11.01 broke Apple Music when played via USB from my 6s Plus in my 2016 Kia Sorrento. 11.02 fixed it BUT 11.03 broke it again

In Australia this model Kia does not have Apple CarPlay and is not user upgradeable

Siri used to work - I could say Hey Siri and the iPhone would switch to the Bluetooth phone connection and I could operate handsfree. Since iOS 11 there is such a massive delay between Siri hearing me and the car Bluetooth activating that she has stopped listening before I can speak.

Feel like I’ve lost a lot of functionality with my iPhone no longer working properly in the car.

elf69

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2016
Cornwall UK
my fiancee has an SE the ios 11 update made her phone connect better to my car radio.
Aftermarket unit bought at my local electronics store, it's the stores own brand.
Cost £80 about 5 years ago.

If stationary her calls and music plays via the phone.
If moving the phone will automatically switch my head unit from SD Card (which i use 99% of the time) to bluetooth and play the call/music via my radio.
Once call is ended or music turned off the radio goes back to SD card.

Never did this with ios 10

Frado

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2009
Are you connected to another bluetooth device at the same time as the car?

I had an issue over the weekend where mine kept dropping out but I tracked it down the fact my phone was also connecting to my iZettle pin machine which was on charge. The only way I got it work reliably was to stream music.

Once I told the phone not to connect to it, it's worked fine ever since :)
I have an Apple watch, so yes it's constantly connected to this device. I'll just work with loudspeaker until Apple fixes this..

johnny hotsauce

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2011
I have a theory that maybe you guys can test on your end as well. I have an odd feeling that the option to sync contacts between my iPhone and my car might be causing the issue. When I un-pair my device and then delete the profile from my car as well and then go to pair to my car as new, I don't allow the phone to sync contacts and the connection seems to hold, at least it has been for the past 2 days so far. But while experimenting around, I'll enable contact syncing and I go back to cycles of disconnecting and reconnecting.

Maybe someone can try doing this as well to see if your connection holds if syncing contacts is turned off, You'll have to "forget" that connection on your iPhone and also delete the iPhone from your car an pair as new but without allowing contacts to sync.

Reactions: PeteLP

Frado

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2009
I have a theory that maybe you guys can test on your end as well. I have an odd feeling that the option to sync contacts between my iPhone and my car might be causing the issue. When I un-pair my device and then delete the profile from my car as well and then go to pair to my car as new, I don't allow the phone to sync contacts and the connection seems to hold, at least it has been for the past 2 days so far. But while experimenting around, I'll enable contact syncing and I go back to cycles of disconnecting and reconnecting.

Maybe someone can try doing this as well to see if your connection holds if syncing contacts is turned off, You'll have to "forget" that connection on your iPhone and also delete the iPhone from your car an pair as new but without allowing contacts to sync.
I'll try this tomorrow. This afternoon I updated to the 11.1 beta but the connection already dropped after 2 seconds when calling... You might be right because BT Audio streaming works perfectly here.

Reactions: johnny hotsauce

johnny hotsauce

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2011
I'll try this tomorrow. This afternoon I updated to the 11.1 beta but the connection already dropped after 2 seconds when calling... You might be right because BT Audio streaming works perfectly here.

I'm actually still getting dropped connections so my theory isn't totally sound however the dropped connections are fewer but it still happens. Very annoying.

tomhklein

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2017
I'm actually still getting dropped connections so my theory isn't totally sound however the dropped connections are fewer but it still happens. Very annoying.

I'm having a more nuanced problem with mine - Upgraded from iPhone 6 to 8 and now, bluetooth in my 2015 VW Golf cuts out. Similar to a CD skip, intermittently the song will stop playing and "skip." I then also have issues 25% of the time when I turn the car on it will say bluetooth is connected and even show that it is playing but there is no audio. Only way to fix it is to completely turn off and restart bluetooth on the phone and car and this doesn't always work. Issue is present with Apple Music, Spotify, and Apple Podcasts.

This weekend, I test drove a 2017 BWM 330xi and it had the same exact issue.

This problem is NOT present with my Beats Solo3 bluetooth headphones, only with car bluetooth.

Extravieuxguy

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2017
Anybody else having trouble with iOS 11 and Honda and Acura Bluetooth systems?

I'm growing a little concerned after running through a few cars and finding several problems.

• Low playback volume with stored audio
    Low volume on Bluetooth calls making the call impossible
    Contact names will not populate over numbers
    Voice commands from Bluetooth HandsFreeLink no longer work

10.3.3 works fine but iOS 11 does not.

Multiple tests, multiple cars in a range from 2014 - 2018.

2015 Acura MDX, never had a problem with previous iPhone 5; now, with a iPhone 7 IOS 11 nothing but problems. Bluetooth signal connects and disconnects. Car's bluetooth firmware was updated with current version thinking problem was on their end; however, a 2017 RDX loaner car had the same issue before returning to pick up my vehicle after update. The issue is with the iPhone IOS, already went to an Apple Store they could not resolve after setting phone and finally clearing it out and downloading new software. Contact names populate at first, then 80% of phone book becomes greyed out and current call displays only show numbers and will not interface with phone book's name.........going back to the Apple Store to get a new phone as last resort. iPhone 7 is less than a month old and issues started the day I linked it up with my MDX. Three years previous, never a problem with an older iPhone 5.

TH5620

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2016
Mx
2015 Acura MDX, never had a problem with previous iPhone 5; now, with a iPhone 7 IOS 11 nothing but problems. Bluetooth signal connects and disconnects. Car's bluetooth firmware was updated with current version thinking problem was on their end; however, a 2017 RDX loaner car had the same issue before returning to pick up my vehicle after update. The issue is with the iPhone IOS, already went to an Apple Store they could not resolve after setting phone and finally clearing it out and downloading new software. Contact names populate at first, then 80% of phone book becomes greyed out and current call displays only show numbers and will not interface with phone book's name.........going back to the Apple Store to get a new phone as last resort. iPhone 7 is less than a month old and issues started the day I linked it up with my MDX. Three years previous, never a problem with an older iPhone 5.
I found out a temporary fix, just delete all photos of your contacts on the contacts app including the profile picture of your iCloud account. then the contacts will populate and remain synced between iPhone and car's infotainment.

quick fix for the contacts not syncing

Extravieuxguy

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2017
I found out a temporary fix, just delete all photos of your contacts on the contacts app including the profile picture of your iCloud account. then the contacts will populate and remain synced between iPhone and car's infotainment.

quick fix for the contacts not syncing

Thank you for your assistance to help resolve. I'll give it a try, Ray

TH5620

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2016
Mx
Not sure if you did but you should file a radar report to Apple regarding the issue and how you got it working.
No I haven't, I did submit a bug report with them with no avail. but If you could point me to the direction to where to submit the report I would appreciate it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.