Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iOS 4.3 Beta Multi-Touch Gestures Demoed on iPhone, Apple Testing Internally?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Much has been made of the new four- and five-finger multi-touch gestures for the iPad introduced in the first beta version of iOS 4.3 released last week, and many users were disappointed to learn that Apple had clarified in the second beta released yesterday that the new gestures are being included only for developer testing at this time and will not be present in the public release of iOS 4.3.

While the many-finger gestures seem natural on the iPad, some have been wondering whether the gestures could make their way to the iPhone and iPod touch or whether the significantly smaller screen size on those devices would make such gestures too difficult to use.

As noted by Engadget, one user has managed to get the advanced multi-touch gestures working on his iPhone, posting a YouTube video demonstrating that the gestures do indeed work on the smaller device although the screen appears to result in a cramped user experience when attempting to employ them.

Apple unsurprisingly may also be testing the new gestures on the iPhone if screenshots obtained by BGR are indeed genuine. The report's source has reportedly shared screenshots from an internal Apple test model of the iPhone 4 showing a special build of the iOS 4.3 beta with the four- and five-finger gestures enabled.

Article Link: iOS 4.3 Beta Multi-Touch Gestures Demoed on iPhone, Apple Testing Internally?

Lostanddamned

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2009
London, UK
Guy needs to cut his fingernails, desperately.

I know its not what I'm meant to focus on, but I can't help it when its about your fingers on a screen, and they were mankily long.

Also, did anyone else notice Picture Frame as an option in settings, isn't that an iPad only feature?

osx11

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
Not enough room on the iPhone. This should be on the iPad, but ONLY on the iPad.

eh270

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2009
A multi-finger swipe may work if the back of the device was touch sensitive, I think. I know two finger swiping is for scrolling within iframes in Safari, but is there an action associated with three finger swiping? Why'd they go straight to four and five?

BigQid

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2010
Excuse my ignorance, but other than pinch to zoom, what is 2 and 3 finger multi touch being used for on the iphone because if its not being used, the solution seems simple. The best answer is to make a section in setings where you can see what your multitouch options are and let you set what does what the same way that you can on your Mac.

Last edited:

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
If Apple take out the home button and expects me to do those type of gestures .... they're freaking crazy.

They better not take off the home button otherwise I won't be buying an iPhone.

mytakeontech

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2010
Does not look user friendly at all on iPhone. I am sure Apple will never implement this for iPhone, considering the history of good user interface!

woddy

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2008
Multitouch fgBrowser

There is a Safari Multitouch replacement out there. It provides a mostly multitouch only user interface relying on either one finger gestures or some 2 finger gestures (2 finger swipe left/right bottom/up or vice versa) 3 finger down for bookmark

Or the easier one hand one finger gestures, like in the screenshot

itunes Link Multitouch (blog)

It's a good companion for the improving iOS multitouch gestures.

Check it out, true Multitouch!

macnews

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2003
Idaho
I like having options. Four and five fingers on an iPhone might be tough, especially if you have big hands/fingers. Still, to have the option - worth it.

BC2009

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2009
Anyone know how to enable this? Can't wait till iPhone 5 hope it loses the home button.

I use my iPhone with one hand way too often to want the home button to go away. I'm pretty sure I am not in the minority. Multi-tasking with one hand requires either the home button or having your phone attached to a mount that is strapped to your arm. I'd prefer the home button.

Richard1028

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2009
What gesture did he use that replaced the Home button? I could't see it.

Just give me something besides the physical Home button. It's out of place and kind of awkward.

I use my iPhone with one hand way too often to want the home button to go away.
Ditto here. It would work better for one-handers if it was on top.

BC2009

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2009
Excuse my ignorance, but other than pinch to zoom, what is 2 and 3 finger multi touch being used for on the iphone because if its not being used, the solution seems simple.

There are trackpad apps like "HippoRemote" or remote desktop apps that send the two, three, and four-finger gestures to a PC or Mac or translate them into actions.

I know that LogMeIn uses the two-finger tap for secondary click actions (just like my Magic Trackpad).

Disc Golfer

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2009
It's about time, when I started using an ipod touch I wondered why multi touch hadn't been implemented. Its screen isn't much smaller than the macbook pro track pad that gets multi touched on all day long.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Excuse my ignorance, but other than pinch to zoom, what is 2 and 3 finger multi touch being used for on the iphone because if its not being used, the solution seems simple.

For example, in the Maps app, you can tap with two fingers to zoom out.

In Atomic Browser, tapping with three fingers toggles between full screen and, um, not full screen.

I think the multitouch gestures demoed in this video look great..... lots of potential in them. I would definitely use them......I'm hoping they either get rid of the Home Button or allow more options for it.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
"many users were disappointed"

Say huh?

Let's not give Apple a chance to test this and bitch later when it doesn't work as advertised.

The disappointed users don't even have a business to know about it.

As somebody else posted:

It gets there when it gets there.

orbital

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2006
You know the 4 finger gesture works fine if it would allow you to swipe across the screen at an angle. Either way though from a UI perspective you shouldn't need to hands to do anything on the iphone, as long as this is just an 'extra' it should be fine.

andrew0122

macrumors regular
Too many problems. . .

First obviously the screen on the iPhone is too small to allow or even qualify the need for 3+ finger gestures.

That being said if the mighty mouse can recognize the differences between a user motioning pinch and zoom functionality and swipe then why not enable or AT THE VERY LEAST give us the option to use a 2 finger swipe to switch applications and 2 finger swipe up to pull up the multitask tray.

Secondly this looks like it is something Apple is testing to include in iOS 5, hence the reason it is for the developer build of iOS 4.3 only.

Here's to hoping for an iPhone with a 3.7" screen or better yet 4" anything more is just too much, but if the iPhone doesn't get any bigger I just might switch and I've owned 3 of the 4 iPhone. (3G was a worthless upgrade.)

And yes I know it's more than likely they'll keep the same 3.5" screen. . .

BUT I CAN HOPE! :rolleyes:

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
I just liked that the multi tasking bar was sideways when he turned the phone sideways. In all of apples innovations they can't do this? Current ly it will stay where it is if flipped the icons won't fix to your position making it confusing. Not in this video tho it goes with the screen like the iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.