Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Beta 4 is extremely solid, I've been using it for about 10 days or so and it's given me no issues. I don't see what another beta would achieve. The next step does seem to be the GM.

gforce216

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
Beta 4 is extremely solid, I've been using it for about 10 days or so and it's given me no issues. I don't see what another beta would achieve. The next step does seem to be the GM.

There are still several audio issues within the 4S and iPad 3 builds in my testing.

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio
I agree that the current (even last beta) have been running solid.. Still, I wouldn't mind something new to look at here and there.

DMaki650

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
Rhinelander, WI
I still had problems. Also the ringer volume still hasn't been fixed.

What does the ringer volume sound like for you. Cause it's loud for me and I love it. That's the way it was with iOS 4. Then when iOS 5 came out it was lowered again. Then when iOS 6 came out it was back to normal. I no this cause I used to be able to leave my phone in one room and be all the way at the other end of the house and hear it. Now with iOS 5 i can't hear it like that anymore. With iOS 6 I can now.

8a22a

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
Maps are improved on Apples server side, the app on our phones is merely a door to access that information. We don't need another beta to see Maps improvements.

So far they've only applied new improves with each beta update. They most likely have more improvements available but we won't get access to them.

Otherwise we'd see new changes daily but we haven't.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
So far they've only applied new improves with each beta update. They most likely have more improvements available but we won't get access to them.

Otherwise we'd see new changes daily but we haven't.

We'd only see new changes daily if Apple flicked the switch on the respective server. Just like Siri on iOS 6 gives sports scores, it's supplying that data via a different section of the Siri servers so only iOS 6 devices can use it.

When the final version of iOS 6 goes public (not GM) then I feel we'll see the changes when the switch it flipped.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007

Sure, the core OS is pretty solid. But then, not much has actually changed with that. The parts that remain unfinished are the new features and changed apps. Passbook, Maps, and the App Store - these all still need lots of work as of beta 4!

Beta 5 is coming, and probably Beta 6 as well. I'm starting to think the new iPhone (and, by extension, iOS 6) will be an October release - not Sept 21st as has previously been rumoured.

Another reason I believe it will be an October release is that would also give developers more time to incorporate a key iOS 6 change which has still not been announced: support for a different screen resolution in the iPhone. 9 days wouldn't be nearly enough for this.

SamGabbay

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
Sure, the core OS is pretty solid. But then, not much has actually changed with that. The parts that remain unfinished are the new features and changed apps. Passbook, Maps, and the App Store - these all still need lots of work as of beta 4!

Beta 5 is coming, and probably Beta 6 as well. I'm starting to think the new iPhone (and, by extension, iOS 6) will be an October release - not Sept 21st as has previously been rumoured.

Another reason I believe it will be an October release is that would also give developers more time to incorporate a key iOS 6 change which has still not been announced: support for a different screen resolution in the iPhone. 9 days wouldn't be nearly enough for this.

So according to your logic, Apple will announce the "new iPhone" on September 12 and then wait a whole month to release it along side iOS 6?

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
So according to your logic, Apple will announce the "new iPhone" on September 12 and then wait a whole month to release it along side iOS 6?

Well, certainly this would be longer than the typical time (historically 10-14 days) between announcement and release of a new iPhone - but not dramatically so. And this new iPhone has more significant changes than most, particularly where developers are concerned.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida

I'm not saying this is the case, but Apple did announce the original iPad in January of 2010 and they didn't release it till 3 months later.

Last edited:

MkNuII

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2011
Portugal

Apple has probably contacted a few key developers regarding certain apps for that kind of update (screen size).

In the last presentations, they usually show some apps already "ready" for the new technology developed by 3rd party developers besides showing their own developed apps.

At least that's my opinion from what I've seen in previous years. But I could be wrong :p

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008

Nah, after all the hype and confirmed dates by a bunch of serious tech sites (AllThingsD has been pretty much dead on with this stuff in the past) it doesn't seem likely that Apple will wait until October. Especially since they're also planning to release the iPad Mini before the holiday shopping season. October would be too crowded and ONE event for both the iPhone and the iPad mini seems highly unlikely (they are both gonna be pretty huge changes from the usual by the looks of things).
Besides, the date must've been a controlled leak to give people something to look forward to while the SIII was coming out, etc.
That's my .02$.

Germao

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2012
Today?

What about today? Wouldn't be possible a new beta today? I think there should be more betas as, maps app, for example has a lot of bugs!

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
I'm not saying this is the case, but Apple did announce the original iPad in January of 2012 and they didn't release it till 3 months later.

wasnt it 2010? they did the same thing with the first iphone. Announced in January and launched in june.

I dont think they would wait more than ~2 weeks to start shipping a device once they announce it. It would completely kill device sales and 2 weeks allows anybody that purchased one on the day the next gen was announced will be able to return it for the new one.

WordMasterRice

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Upstate NY

I love this logic "It works fine for me so it must not have any issues". Beta 4 has made it impossible for me to continue work on the streaming portion of my app. The fact that I will have to suspend development for a month+ is pretty disappointing.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
wasnt it 2010? they did the same thing with the first iphone. Announced in January and launched in june.

I dont think they would wait more than ~2 weeks to start shipping a device once they announce it. It would completely kill device sales and 2 weeks allows anybody that purchased one on the day the next gen was announced will be able to return it for the new one.

Whoops, typo, sorry about that. I even said *original* iPad. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.