Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Artofilm

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2005
hahah this is the best thread EVER!!!
Please tell me which picture makes the iPad 2 look thicker than the iPad, please!

Attachments

• ipad2hands19.jpg
    ipad2hands19.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 61
  • ipad2hands20.jpg
    ipad2hands20.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 61
  • ipad2hands21.jpg
    ipad2hands21.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 62
  • thicker.jpg
    thicker.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 437

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
THis always happens during the wait. Nonsense threads are going to pop up everywhere. Things like "Geeky things to do while you wait".

Presently, it's a 'splitting hairs to minutia' thread

Wozza2010

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2010
Yeah the OP is right. If you hold the iPad from the edge it is no thicker than the iPad 2.

the_fellowship

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2008
London, UK
I always thought wearing black made you look thinner, so should I get a white iPad2 with a black smart cover or a black iPad2 with white smartcover? lol

classic thread btw!

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
he's saying something different, about the illusion of thinness not the actuality, and he's right, but you don't get it and you are rude.

U took it the wrong way. It was more of a joke. RELAX!!, but how is he saying something different. He specifically said the iPad isn't really thinner when he started the thread. He then went on later to say the iPad looks thinner in Scotts hand. His second statement is irrelevant because his first statement told us what he really meant. He is wrong. The iPad is really thinner...by a bunch.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 20, 2008
U took it the wrong way. It was more of a joke. RELAX!!, but how is he saying something different. He specifically said the iPad isn't really thinner when he started the thread. He then went on later to say the iPad looks thinner in Scotts hand. His second statement is irrelevant because his first statement told us what he really meant. He is wrong. The iPad is really thinner...by a bunch.

I said the iPad 2 doesn't LOOK thinner. Visually at casual glance, not physically with a ruler. I never said the iPad 2 wasn't physically thinner. Because of the way the first iPad tapers, it looks thinner. At this point, I feel like I'm beating an unruly student over the head with this.

I said the iPad 2 looks THICKER in Scott Forstall's hands when compared to the original iPad-- please read.

Revisionist history never works out.

dacapo

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2010
I said the iPad 2 doesn't LOOK thinner. Visually at casual glance, not physically with a ruler. I never said the iPad 2 wasn't physically thinner. Because of the way the first iPad tapers, it looks thinner. At this point, I feel like I'm beating an unruly student over the head with this.

I said the iPad 2 looks THICKER in Scott Forstall's hands when compared to the original iPad-- please read.

Oh well, I think a lot of people have been generally confused/baffled by your original postings and subsequent postings, to be fair. But I think we also have to say that you could have expressed yourself a bit more clearly.

Let me try to recap what I think you really meant.

1. You don't disagree that the iPad 2 is in reality thinner.

2. However, in "real life usage" it can actually feel like it's thicker than the iPad 1 in a person's hands, since that's the distance that you marked out in your picture.

3. You also note that based on the viewing angle, the iPad 2 also can look thicker than the iPad 1 when seen from the back.

So, in conclusion, you're simply commenting that while the iPad 2 IS thinner, it can actually SEEM thicker. :)

[However, none of this means that the iPad 2 is in fact thicker than iPad 1, unless you subscribe to the notion that perception = reality, which a lot of people do, incidentally...]

sphoenix

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2008
Take a look at Scott Forstall using it in this pic. With the flat back clearly in view, it actually looks much thicker.

20110302-10385488--img4619.jpg
Scott's clearly demonstrating that it's so thin it can give you an orgasm.

Really though, just wait & try it out at the Apple Store then judge for yourself. Try not to have an orgasm when you feel it. :p

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
I too am not that much of a fan of the shape, I d rather they made it thicker and kept the (lovely looking) curve, or that they made it completely flat a la iphone…

People complained that you couldn't work with the original iPad on a flat surface. Others have pointed out that a completely flat, iPhone 4 styled, design would make it difficult to pick up with one hand, since you couldn't get your fingers under the edge. The iPad 2 design seems to address both of these issues.

I agree that the original iPad was an aesthetically pleasing design, and quite clever too in the illusion of being thinner than it was, but if you had a choice, would you really choose form over function? Perhaps Apple is leaning more towards function with this release, but it's still an elegant design. I think they've struck a pretty good balance.

OceanView

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2005
Why is everyone so excited about the iPad 2 being 8.8 mm? I mean, other than the surprising fact that it's just a little thinner than an iPhone 4, in real world use, it will LOOK thicker than the original iPad.

If you look at the picture, you can see that the entire width of the 2 is thicker than the sides of original iPad, which because of the heavily-tapered back is technically all that you see when someone is using it in the real world.

It's a visual illusion and a damn good one, that coupled with equally brilliant marketing, has everyone giddy over it. In reality it'll actually look thicker. :eek:

2v3opra.jpg

Are you an attorney? Just wondering

shen

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2003
OMG the OP is totally right! I just realized that when you hold the iPad 2 up head on, and look directly at the screen, it totally looks a lot larger than the original when held edge on.

Further investigation confirms that when you hold an iPad in your hands for viewing, it totally looks larger than my house! (from space) This is some serious RDF marketing crap!

neko girl

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2011
Here might be a picture that demonstrates what the OP's talking about:
ipad2_new_old2.jpg

(courtesy Ars Technica)

fobfob

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2008
The OP has it exactly backwards. The original iPad was the one with the optical illusions going on. The iPad 2 is the genuine article. It is so thin that it doesn't need tricks to make it seem thinner.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009

*looks at thread title again*

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley
The op is 100% right in the post, but the title contradicts, or is misleading, as the majority of replies, are simply replying to the thread title.
The title should be along the lines of: "iPad 2 LOOKS To be Thicker In Real Life", or something. ;)
Add the 2010 sofa pics, and have the 2011 pics directly underneath in the original thread, and folks will understand visually, faster then even the best written explanation.

#ThreadTips

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.