Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
It is for a larger speaker according to another site which makes more sense considering where the current speakers are right now.

alexhasfun28

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2009
in the southwest.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Where's the SIM(micro) slot? maybe that could be it? I know it may be a little weird, but.. Apple also shocked us when they moved it to the side. And there also seems to be another slot ontop of the iPad? hmm.. that.. I do not know!

Oceanswave

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2010
That's the point, the USB port provided in the camera kit probably lacks power. It has no need because cameras use their own power source when connected to the computer.

Also, you can't hook up storage to the iPad to back up data on it, like a hard drive or USB thumb drives. Again, most of these require power coming from the USB connector, not just data (for the thumb drives at least, most hardware have a power cord). This isn't just a OS Software issue.

And keyboard is the only thing covered by the dock connector/bluetooth combo. What about tablets ? Much better for drawing apps than your fingers (I stopped finger painting at 5...). What about webcams ?

The simple fact is, and I agree with you (btw, why include me in the people who want USB on iPad ? I don't even want an iPad to begin with, much less one with USB ports) that USB isn't coming to iPad because Apple just doesn't want iPad to be a stand-alone Mac replacement. They very much want you to need to tether it to a desktop/laptop to make it functional.

Jeez. You're on the web. Google this crap before you go spouting off nonsense.

http://gyratorytech.com/apple/ipad/...r-on-ipad-camera-connection-kit-crippled.html

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
Improved internals and higher resolution. That's all I ask for.

Me too except I would like an additional dock port on the landscape side. I hardly ever use my iPad in portrait mode, yet when it's docked it's not useable to me as much as I would prefer anyway.

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
The iPad 2 needs an integrated laser pointer, it just seem essential for the business aspect.

When I'm presenting using an iPad it would be great if it had a built in laser!

That way you could point and present at the same time. I would be surprised if Dell isn't already planning on including this important feature.

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
SD Card Slot = No Sale

USB port = flexibility (with tons of EXISTING peripherals and thumb drives)
SD port = memory expansion ONLY

I like the idea of a curved back (in theory it should make it more comfortable in the hand) but maybe in real life you don't end up holding it very much and unless you are doing that, the curved back could be impractical.

farmboy

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2003
Minnesota
The iPad 2 needs an integrated laser pointer, it just seem essential for the business aspect.

When I'm presenting using an iPad it would be great if it had a built in laser!

That way you could point and present at the same time. I would be surprised if Dell isn't already planning on including this important feature.

You do know that Keynote has a built in "laser" pointer, right?

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
You do know that Keynote has a built in "laser" pointer, right?

I don't really need an integrated laser pointer.

I was just chiming in with my own absurd demand for the iPad 2.

I couldn't get any support for an eSata port so I gave up on that.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
The point is that this is like removing the modem from the Macbooks a year or two ago. Yes, I'm sure that makes someone, somewhere, angry.
A modem (dial-up) is still the only reliable way to communicate in a power outage (POTS phone lines have separate backed-up power), when cell lines are clogged or when there is a broadband ISP or DNS outage. I was in the mountains during a fierce storm and the power went out in our complex of rich folks. They were really upset (whaaaaa), so I pulled out my battery powered PBG4 with modem, plugged it in, dialed up, searched the local news for the cause and estimate of time and conveyed that information to my neighbors which gave them great comfort while they waited almost 8 hours for a resolution.

Rocketman

Last edited:

Rapscallion

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2010
I'm thinking it will have an SDXC card slot.

One of the other tablets out there, the Galaxy tab, has a micro SD; so I'm thinking the iPad needs to keep on top of everyone else out there. Plus the new Mac mini, iMac and Macbooks have a SDXC card slot which if I’m correct can hold up to 64GB of information with the ability to hold 2TB in the near future. I feel that this is something that would be attractive to business users wanting to swap and share files easily; it just makes sense that one be included.

robwormald

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2010
Is it possible that a USB port could be in furtherance - at least in part - to the iPad itself being your actual iTunes library? Such that you could synch iPhones and iPads to your iPad and "cut the cord" to the computer? Seems plausible, especially if they move your library to the cloud somehow.

Just a thought. Not my area of expertise, to be sure.

nice thought, but why on earth would you "cut the cord" to the computer, and then require a cord to hook up your iPad to your iPhone :p

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Wow, what a revolutionary changes!

New shape of the edges! That should do it for a new generation. Crazy pace for changes. Android is dead :p

wirelessmacuser

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2009
Planet.Earth
Case details continue to leak out of Asia for the next generation iPad. If these latest images from 9to5mac are to be believed, the next generation iPad will adopt tapered edges and a flat back.

Reports have said that the new iPad will adopt a thinner design with a flat back so it can rest on a surface evenly.
The flat back would be a very smart move. The reasons are multitudinous.

SD cards are not that important in my opinion.
Uh... what?

Surely you jest ... :eek:

puttputt

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2006
Michigan
OBVIOUSLY, the extra port is a clearly another thingy-do to connect the iPad to other electronic thingy-ma-jigs. Mystery solved.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
Well this fool prefers wired peripherals when working at a fixed desk and this fool carries around a laptop with an integrated keyboard rather than dragging around an iPad, a dock and a keyboard with an extra set of batteries. ;)

In fact, I wonder who's really a fool.

....well, only a fool would expect and ask for a touch-based display to operate like a notebook and support pointer-based hardware such as pen-tablets. the ipad is a touch-based OS and device, and is not designed to mirror functionality found in other OS & device models.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.