Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
No but that's the the hypothesis we were talking about.

That wasn't what I was talking about. The thread has become slightly convoluted that I've completely lost track of everything :/

I don't know if Apple will do a pre-sale in the UK now.

Yixian

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
Europe
That wasn't what I was talking about. The thread has become slightly convoluted that I've completely lost track of everything :/

I don't know if Apple will do a pre-sale in the UK now.

Aah right, well, I don't know, but I hope so.

oililymad

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2009
UK
Ok I cancelled my order

in the process had a good chat with s very helpful apple guy.
He mailed me links to all the reviews.
He said he was expecting to be able to take pre orders Tuesday Wednesday.

He also said. And then went to confirm with someone else that the USA 3g models are different to the uk ones. Sims are different.

Of course this is just what he said. I have no proof as it was a phone call. But thought I would pass it on.

The exchange rate he quoted for my transaction also very much more favourable than I had anticipated.

Here's hoping he's right

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
Ok I cancelled my order

in the process had a good chat with s very helpful apple guy.
He mailed me links to all the reviews.
He said he was expecting to be able to take pre orders Tuesday Wednesday.

He also said. And then went to confirm with someone else that the USA 3g models are different to the uk ones. Sims are different.

Of course this is just what he said. I have no proof as it was a phone call. But thought I would pass it on.

The exchange rate he quoted for my transaction also very much more favourable than I had anticipated.

Here's hoping he's right

I can't imagine the SIMs being that different, it's a standard, micro SIM standard.

Tuesday/Wednesday seems slightly soon - but, who did you talk to in the Apple chain?

oililymad

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2009
UK
I agree am skeptical myself.
But that it what I was told. And he did go and check. With someone " who knows these technical things"

The blokey was clearly based in USA but I called the uk apple store number.

So how high in the chain? Very low.

But. I actually agree on the Tuesday/ Wednesday thing.

I was on the phone a good half hour. Not of course that that means anything except he wasn't trying to feed me crap just to get me off the phone quick.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
I agree am skeptical myself.
But that it what I was told. And he did go and check. With someone " who knows these technical things"

The blokey was clearly based in USA but I called the uk apple store number.

So how high in the chain? Very low.

But. I actually agree on the Tuesday/ Wednesday thing.

I was on the phone a good half hour. Not of course that that means anything except he wasn't trying to feed me crap just to get me off the phone quick.

Usually people who answer the phones, and even their managers don't know these things. Example is such that Apple Store employees didn't know much about the iPad launch, but are briefed about 30 mins before the launch.

mattyboy7110

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2008

Sims should be different - we won't have AT&T ones. I would think we wouldn't get one at all in the box as in the UK we should have a choice of provider. I think it will be a case of just throwing it away and getting one from your favourite mobile provider.

Yixian

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
Europe
The guy that told you tues/weds has no clue, that's just his guess. It could just as easily be tomorrow or next friday.

mattyboy7110

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2008
The guy that told you tues/weds has no clue, that's just his guess. It could just as easily be tomorrow or next friday.

It would make sense to be tomorrow for an announcement so people don't go online and spend silly money on eBay importing an iPad from the States.

If you knew you could get one over here with no risk of import taxes, VAT, etc and only had to wait three weeks, I imagine most people would wait. I don't think I'll get a 3G one from the States as we should get them here the same time, the WiFi model is a different matter though and should be here next week!

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
Sims should be different - we won't have AT&T ones. I would think we wouldn't get one at all in the box as in the UK we should have a choice of provider. I think it will be a case of just throwing it away and getting one from your favourite mobile provider.

Our choice is fairly limited, remember, that the device uses micro SIMS, regardless of where it is purchased from.

mattyboy7110

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2008
Our choice is fairly limited, remember, that the device uses micro SIMS, regardless of where it is purchased from.

I imagine at least 3 of the 5 operators will have easy access to micro sims before the launch over here.

The fact there's been no announcements is more likely to be because of Apple and the shroud of secrecy. We still have no idea how much it's going to cost over here so it's not really surprising we know nothing about the mobile networks side of things.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
I imagine at least 3 of the 5 operators will have easy access to micro sims before the launch over here.

The fact there's been no announcements is more likely to be because of Apple and the shroud of secrecy. We still have no idea how much it's going to cost over here so it's not really surprising we know nothing about the mobile networks side of things.

Well O2, Orange and I think T-Mobile have micro SIMs

Stoney79

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2009
Anyone on here use Twitter? Can't you send Stephen Fry a message. He was having a meeting with SJ today. I'm sure he must have asked him what is going to happen in the UK.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
Anyone on here use Twitter? Can't you send Stephen Fry a message. He was having a meeting with SJ today. I'm sure he must have asked him what is going to happen the UK.

done,

d @stephenfry any news for iPad in the UK? As an A Level student, I don't know if I should get one or not :/

kultschar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2010
Well I bit the bullet and bought the 16GB iPad from ebay for £440 shipped (I actually live in the Falklands hence that is the final cost as no import duties or VAT here). Anyhow its 3.30am in the UK / Europe now and not many people bidding on US ebay and I have snagged a 32GB for £490 delivered.

Of course im keeping the 32GB for myself however do I flog the 16GB or give it to the missus (who reads books like a bookworm) :confused:

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2005
Birmingham, England
UK/US exchange rate has crept up a little over the last few days... only slightly but fingers crossed.

Let's hope Apple checks Thomas Cook's rate on a good day before they set the prices. ;)

Yixian

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
Europe
Regardless of the exchange rate, if they are hoping to have the same impact in Europe as they do in the US then the prices will have to be "surprisingly cheap" for us as well.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Regardless of the exchange rate, if they are hoping to have the same impact in Europe as they do in the US then the prices will have to be "surprisingly cheap" for us as well.

A limiting factor is that Apple have hardly ever released a product cheaper in the UK than America, and with the poor exchange rate this limits the amount of price variation.

Riviera122

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2008
If they are hoping to have the same impact in Europe as they do in the US then the prices will have to be "surprisingly cheap" for us as well.

Exactly. It would be ironic for Apple not to give us "unbelievable" prices because of the motto being "a magical and revolutionary product at an unbelievable price".

LaNex

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2010
Perhaps they're making us wait and foam at the mouth like this so that when they do finally stick us with a not-quite-comfortable UK price, we'll lap it up just the same and feel grateful it finally got here at all ! heh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.