Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tomblack7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2020
Here is the video with problem

Sometimes the line is disrupted when drawing for no reason.

It happens randomly with frequency like 2-3 times per hour. Its not just one place on the display its random. It took few seconds and than its okay again, as you see in video the last line was not disrupted.

It happens in all apps. We tried change settings for Pencil or Accessibility but nothing works. System in iPad and Pencil is up to date. iPad is two months old so no scratches on display.

Any idea what to do?
We are using iPad Pro 11 Wi-Fi 2018 (A1980) + Apple Pencil 2 (A2051)

ed.

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
I've had a similar problem on my 1st gen pro (or 2nd, I can't remember ahah), but it was happening only on one spot, very close to the hinge of the smart cover, so I thought maybe it was a hardware issue. It was basically on the edge so it didn't really bother me. Yours seems more like it could be an interference sort of thing, if it happens in random spots it seems more likely that something disrupts the connection between pencil and iPad - it's a bluetooth accessory after all. I remember my first bluetooth mouse on an old mac pro was laggy and almost unusable and I couldn't ever isolate the cause of the interference (using wired mice to this day!). You can maybe try to change location completely for a couple of hours, getting away from other appliances and see what happens?

austyn23

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2017
I would first try to test another pencil on the same ipad, maybe from a friend or going to the store (yes, now is impossible with the quarantine).

If it happens in another iPad, it looks like a Pencil problem.

You can talk to Apple and maybe they send a replacement; they made that to me with a magic mouse totally out of warranty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.