Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
You may find the iPhone 11 Pro size best for your needs. It's just too tall and wide for my taste.

I like the size of the 11 pro a lot, but I returned it thinking I’d hold off for the 12s. Now I’m not sure because it seems like it’ll be either too big or too small.

pcdtech

Suspended
Original poster
May 11, 2020
I like the size of the 11 pro a lot, but I returned it thinking I’d hold off for the 12s. Now I’m not sure because it seems like it’ll be either too big or too small.
Well if you try the iPhone 12 and it doesn’t meet your needs, I’m sure you’ll be able to find an 11 Pro (and at a small discount) if you act quickly.

Reactions: one more

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
As a true one-handed minimalist phone user, the 5.4” gets closer but doesn’t cut it for me. The 5/SE1 is the biggest phone and screen size I want, because, as Apple advertised, the iPhone 5 was the biggest phone and screen possible for true one-handed use. Even a mm bigger in either body or screen size, and there is a big drop off in the ease of one-handed use. So the phrase “so close, yet so far” can be very true in regards to this.

I use a phone primarily outside where I only need to accomplish quick tasks and maybe listen to audio, but not watch a movie, look at photos, or read for extended periods (by principle that’s the kind of thing I only do at home, which is also where I can switch to a bigger more ideal device). So a bigger screen phone really does not benefit me, but only inconveniences me. But I realize my phone usage is different than most.

I’m glad some find this the ideal size for them. And while it may be better for me than what was there before, it’s still “so close, yet so far”.

edit- actually the SE2 will probably be a little better for me, since it’s about the same size but the screen is smaller therefore easier to reach with my thumb.

Last edited:
Reactions: retroneo

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
As a true one-handed minimalist phone user, the 5.4” gets closer but doesn’t cut it for me. The 5/SE1 is the biggest phone and screen size I want, because, as Apple advertised, the iPhone 5 was the biggest phone and screen possible for true one-handed use. Even a mm bigger in either body or screen size, and there is a big drop off in the ease of one-handed use. So the phrase “so close, yet so far” can be very true in regards to this.

I use a phone primarily outside where I only need to accomplish quick tasks and maybe listen to audio, but not watch a movie, look at photos, or read for extended periods (by principle that’s the kind of thing I only do at home, which is also where I can switch to a bigger more ideal device). So a bigger screen phone really does not benefit me, but only inconveniences me. But I realize my phone usage is different than most.

I’m glad some find this the ideal size for them. And while it may be better for me than what was there before, it’s still “so close, yet so far”.

edit- actually the SE2 will probably be a little better for me, since it’s about the same size but the screen is smaller therefore easier to reach with my thumb.

I find the SE2 extremely easy to use one-handed, and my hands are small.

Reactions: snipr125

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I find the SE2 extremely easy to use one-handed, and my hands are small.
Many people can use iPhone Max one handed “easily”, but it involves balances the phone on one or more fingers, which is precarious and not possible in all situations. When people say “true” one-handed, they usually mean they are able to firmly grasp the phone between their fingers and palm while being able to reach the entire screen with their thumb. This was ideal to do with the original 3.5” iPhone (which was why they made it that size), then pushed to its limits with the 4” iPhone. All bigger iPhones since then require balancing or an accessory for one-handed use (for average hands).

Here’s that Apple commercial I referenced:

Reactions: Netrox

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Many people can use iPhone Max one handed “easily”, but it involves balances the phone on one or more fingers, which is precarious and not possible in all situations. When people say “true” one-handed, they usually mean they are able to firmly grasp the phone between their fingers and palm while being able to reach the entire screen with their thumb. This was ideal to do with the original 3.5” iPhone (which was why they made it that size), then pushed to its limits with the 4” iPhone. All bigger iPhones since then require balancing or an accessory for one-handed use (for average hands).

Here’s that Apple commercial I referenced:

Oh I totally get that. I guess I’ve been using Loopy cases for so long I have been able to use even some bigger phones with one hand, and I tend to not think about what I could do without that case on. I’m so paranoid about dropping my phone I’m always gonna keep a case on, so it works for me.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I love the size of the iPhone 5, but doesn’t the truth of that commercial depend entirely on the size hands you have?

Yeah of course. At the time Apple was behind the curve when the vast majority of the market wanted bigger phone screens and they had the good thought to let marketing point this out as a strength. Well, at least before the 6 was introduced which became the best selling iPhone generation to this date I believe.

IJBrekke

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2009
Long Beach, CA

So, I was very much with you on this - having owned a 6S, the size was always juuuust large enough to be annoying and awkward. There was a definite longing to have the 5S back for one-handed use.

Then I purchased an SE. The problem was the software - Apple had clearly moved the OS optimization towards larger screens, so everything on the SE felt even more cramped than it should have. Typing also took a significant step backward due to the narrow width.

My hope is that this new size will be the closest to “best of both worlds” that we can get. Maintaining the width while lowering the height for better reach ability. Only time will tell.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Oh I totally get that. I guess I’ve been using Loopy cases for so long I have been able to use even some bigger phones with one hand, and I tend to not think about what I could do without that case on. I’m so paranoid about dropping my phone I’m always gonna keep a case on, so it works for me.
Yeah I’ve always been anti-case myself. It’s worked out well for me- in all my years I’ve never had a major drop! The only time I had a case was the several month stint that I had a iPhone plus, which was necessary because I dropped that all the time.

So, I was very much with you on this - having owned a 6S, the size was always juuuust large enough to be annoying and awkward. There was a definite longing to have the 5S back for one-handed use.

Then I purchased an SE. The problem was the software - Apple had clearly moved the OS optimization towards larger screens, so everything on the SE felt even more cramped than it should have. Typing also took a significant step backward due to the narrow width.

My hope is that this new size will be the closest to “best of both worlds” that we can get. Maintaining the width while lowering the height for better reach ability. Only time will tell.
Hmm I use an se1 now but I don’t notice the issues you mentioned (I have also used a bigger phone). Software seems the same as it’s always been and typing too. The smaller keyboard is actually better for me when I use quick path.

Width is key. If it can have se1 width, I’d be more inclined to buy. But do you mean maintain se1 width or another phone?

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
I'm so excited for the 5.4". It's still bigger than the original SE, but hey at least it's much smaller than my X.

Reactions: JagRunner

pcdtech

Suspended
Original poster
May 11, 2020
Yeah I’ve always been anti-case myself. It’s worked out well for me- in all my years I’ve never had a major drop! The only time I had a case was the several month stint that I had a iPhone plus, which was necessary because I dropped that all the time.
With the smaller design and flat edges, and with AppleCare+ included with the iPhone Upgrade Program, I think this is the first year since owning the iPhone 5 that I’ll go caseless.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
With the smaller design and flat edges, and with AppleCare+ included with the iPhone Upgrade Program, I think this is the first year since owning the iPhone 5 that I’ll go caseless.
The smaller size and flat edges will definitely help with less drops. If I got it I’d probably feel safe enough to go case-less too.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
OK...

I got fed up of waiting and trawling through YouTube videos to freeze frame and squint at the size comparisons, so I jumped on taobao and bought my own 5.4” dummy model. Attached are some images to help people compare them a bit more comprehensively.

Quick takeaway is, it’s ~6mm wider than the iPhone SE and ~3mm thinner (narrower) than the iPhone 7 that I’ve scaled it against. This lines up with the CAD drawings I previously drew based on the leaked resolution, which I calculated as 2.8mm thinner than the iPhone 7. The round profile on the 7 makes it appear thinner in images. it‘s also stacked on the bottom so doesn’t help with perspective. I used the portrait camera to try to reduce that factor.

From handling it I can say it does feel like a bit more of a stretch than the SE, which just nestles very comfortably in my hand. BUT, although it’s nearer to the 7, I will note that it feels a lot more manageable because the square profile and flat side lets you actually grip the device.

Overall, I think I can get used to it and finally retire my stalwart SE.

Attachments

• 45142F02-6905-4E9C-8F83-71F3D34BC809.jpeg
    45142F02-6905-4E9C-8F83-71F3D34BC809.jpeg
    333.3 KB · Views: 1,115
  • 7BEF5723-1172-4254-9385-93B2B1E540AA.jpeg
    7BEF5723-1172-4254-9385-93B2B1E540AA.jpeg
    365.2 KB · Views: 824
  • 9BC681F9-6650-421B-9462-358FDB7426FA.jpeg
    9BC681F9-6650-421B-9462-358FDB7426FA.jpeg
    405.2 KB · Views: 776
  • 537E3F83-5133-425B-B8E5-B2FE20D6660D.jpeg
    537E3F83-5133-425B-B8E5-B2FE20D6660D.jpeg
    305.9 KB · Views: 731
  • 449F1616-E640-43B8-B548-B3042324D12B.jpeg
    449F1616-E640-43B8-B548-B3042324D12B.jpeg
    322.9 KB · Views: 1,422
  • 0B1C6824-80EA-4415-AFAE-23BE6C7ACC40.jpeg
    0B1C6824-80EA-4415-AFAE-23BE6C7ACC40.jpeg
    389.8 KB · Views: 708
  • B424FBD5-656A-4924-91EA-324B5E9D1E5B.jpeg
    B424FBD5-656A-4924-91EA-324B5E9D1E5B.jpeg
    292 KB · Views: 779
  • 542400C6-6FEB-410C-A009-1A4AC48A1C60.jpeg
    542400C6-6FEB-410C-A009-1A4AC48A1C60.jpeg
    280.9 KB · Views: 714
  • CB468A6C-C002-4A27-B720-9EC1C6A9529B.jpeg
    CB468A6C-C002-4A27-B720-9EC1C6A9529B.jpeg
    343.3 KB · Views: 670
  • 4E195047-A197-4D56-AE7E-41A8850D613F.jpeg
    4E195047-A197-4D56-AE7E-41A8850D613F.jpeg
    321.2 KB · Views: 646
Last edited:

Marlon DLTH :)

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2020
OK...

I got fed up of waiting and trawling through YouTube videos to freeze frame and squint at the size comparisons, so I jumped on taobao and bought my own 5.4” dummy model. Attached are some images to help people compare them a bit more comprehensively.

Quick takeaway is it’s ~6mm wider than the iPhone SE and ~3mm thinner the iPhone 7 that I’ve scaled it against. This lines up with the CAD drawings I previously drew based on the leaked resolution, which I caluculated as 2.8mm thinner than the iPhone 7. The round profile on the 7 makes it appear thinner in images. it‘s also stacked on the bottom so doesn’t help with perspective. I used the portrait camera to try to reduce that factor.

From handling it I can say it does feel like a bit more of a stretch than the SE, which just nestles very comfortably in my hand. BUT, although it’s nearer to the 7, I will note that it feels a lot more manageable because the square profile and flat side lets you actually grip the device.

Thanks for the comparison images.

The iPhone looks thick, I hope that means a good battery life.

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
OK...

Quick takeaway is it’s ~6mm wider than the iPhone SE and ~3mm thinner the iPhone 7 that I’ve scaled it against. This lines up with the CAD drawings I previously drew based on the leaked resolution, which I caluculated as 2.8mm thinner than the iPhone 7. The round profile on the 7 makes it appear thinner in images. it‘s also stacked on the bottom so doesn’t help with perspective. I used the portrait camera to try to reduce that factor.

wow. 3mm less wider than the 7 is a lot. It’s gonna be comfy to hold!

Last edited:

pcdtech

Suspended
Original poster
May 11, 2020
OK...

Quick takeaway is it’s ~6mm wider than the iPhone SE and ~3mm thinner the iPhone 7 that I’ve scaled it against. This lines up with the CAD drawings I previously drew based on the leaked resolution, which I calculated as 2.8mm thinner than the iPhone 7. The round profile on the 7 makes it appear thinner in images. it‘s also stacked on the bottom so doesn’t help with perspective. I used the portrait camera to try to reduce that factor.

Wow! I couldn’t imagine why YouTubers were so dumb not to do this on their own, and then you went out and bought one and did it yourself! Serious props!

Would you be able to take a photo of the iPhones stacked on top of each other like you have but completely perpendicular to the lightning ports so we can see how the depth of the iPhone 12 compares to the original SE and the iPhone 7? I know you have a few shots of them stacked but the photo is taken at an angle so it’s hard to see. Have you measured the depth of the iPhone 12? For comparison, the original SE depth is 7.6mm (0.30 inch) and the iPhone 7 depth is 7.1mm (0.28 inch).

Also, I’d love to see the CAD drawings that you made.

Last edited:

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
OK...

Quick takeaway is it’s ~6mm wider than the iPhone SE and ~3mm thinner than the iPhone 7 that I’ve scaled it against. This lines up with the CAD drawings I previously drew based on the leaked resolution, which I calculated as 2.8mm thinner than the iPhone 7. The round profile on the 7 makes it appear thinner in images. it‘s also stacked on the bottom so doesn’t help with perspective. I used the portrait camera to try to reduce that factor.

Thank you for doing this. I have no idea why nobody from YouTube with this dummy model couldn't do the same and instead forced us to try to figure it out instead. ?

The 5.4" iPhone seems noticeably shorter for sure compared to the 4.7" iPhone. That's a big deal. Width-wise it is more narrow, but not by much. The difference in heights is far more noteworthy versus the difference in width.

I think the 5.4" model will satisfy most who are seeking a proper one-handed model. It will seem more compact in hand versus the 4.7" models, if I had to guess. However of course there will still be some people who are wishing for something the size of the OG SE. Sadly those days seem gone for good.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
Wow! I couldn’t imagine why YouTubers were so dumb not to do this on their own, and then you went out and bought one and did it yourself! Serious props!

Would you be able to take a photo of the iPhones stacked on top of each other like you have but completely perpendicular to the lightning ports so we can see how the depth of the iPhone 12 compares to the original SE and the iPhone 7? I know you have a few shots of them stacked but the photo is taken at an angle so it’s hard to see. Have you measured the depth of the iPhone 12? For comparison, the original SE depth is 7.6mm (0.30 inch) and the iPhone 7 depth is 7.1mm (0.28 inch).

Also, I’d love to see the CAD drawings that you made.

haha, thanks!

The CAD I did was just a basic outline with a 3.5mm offset to gauge the size, so nothing really worth sharing. I guess like everyone in this thread I’ve been particularly interested to see if this 5.4” phone will be able to replace our SE devices. I honestly got this dummy so it’ll be less of a shock if I’ve been fumbling with it for a few months before I get a real one. I’m already coming around to it after a day simply because the side profile feels so much more secure in hand.

I took another few pictures for you and aligned it the best I can to the sides of the phones. The only reason I didn’t do that before was my living room is a mess ;)

I don’t have a pair of callipers to measure the thickness of this model though and the ruler is a bit clumsy measuring this precisely, but I’d say it‘s around 1mm thicker than the SE. Hope the pics help.

Also obviously the precise dimensions of this thing can’t be assumed to be perfect, the build quality on it is a bit ropey, but it was only ~120 RMB so I didn’t expect to be blown away. We’ll only know for sure in September I guess.

Attachments

• 7D9F0FBD-3509-4EAD-BB8F-D92E2F9A806E.jpeg
    7D9F0FBD-3509-4EAD-BB8F-D92E2F9A806E.jpeg
    188.4 KB · Views: 457
  • 2A427096-38E3-4D8B-81A0-44A6FDB02A8F.jpeg
    2A427096-38E3-4D8B-81A0-44A6FDB02A8F.jpeg
    187.7 KB · Views: 415
  • 572DFBEE-249D-4F36-94E7-2B66550C7BE0.jpeg
    572DFBEE-249D-4F36-94E7-2B66550C7BE0.jpeg
    189.7 KB · Views: 450
Last edited:

pcdtech

Suspended
Original poster
May 11, 2020
haha, thanks!

The CAD I did was just a basic outline with a 3.5mm offset to gauge the size, so nothing really worth sharing. I guess like everyone in this thread I’ve been particularly interested to see if this 5.4” phone will be able to replace our SE devices. I honestly got this dummy so it’ll be less of a shock if I’ve been fumbling with it for a few months before I get a real one. I’m already coming around to it after a day simply because the side profile feels so much more secure in hand.

I took another few pictures for you and aligned it the best I can to the sides of the phones. The only reason I didn’t do that before was my living room is a mess ;)

I don’t have a pair of callipers to measure the thickness of this model though and the ruler is a bit clumsy measuring this precisely, but I’d say it‘s around 1mm thicker than the SE. Hope the pics help.

Also obviously the precise dimensions of this thing can’t be assumed to be perfect, the build quality on it is a bit ropey, but it was only ~120 RMB so I didn’t expect to be blown away. We’ll only know for sure in September I guess.
Thanks so much! Glad to see it’s practically the same depth as the SE! This is going to be a killer phone!

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
iOS 14 looks good on SE1 according to the one video I saw. Too bad it won’t run on a 5S. When I first got my Max I had not see one before so I was a bit overwhelmed coming from a 7. I contemplated selling the phone and getting my old one fixed. But now after 4 or 5 months the phone has grown on me. I don’t mind the size anymore. I too thought the size of my 7 was just a smidge to big for one handed use. My Max laughs in the face of all of my previous phones.. 4S,5S, and 7. The battery life isn’t as good as the 11 series but it destroys the 7 and under that I came from.

And I really don’t mind the notch ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.