Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
I always laugh at military grade protection. What does that mean? Which military? How did they obtain such technology? Does that mean the military doesn’t have the technology to have better protection than this small company can come up with?

Yeah, what's military grade? Some material that the military just happen to use? For what? Maybe at a push the military actually do have a spec for drop protection for mobile phones, but even then it's not going to be anything beyond what's already being widely sold on the market. If it was something like "survive a drop from 30,000ft onto concrete then be run over by a tank" and such a product existed, then it would seem unlikely that all these manufacturers were only bothering to sell cases to the public that can just about protect from a fall off a coffee table onto a wooden floor.

It's like the obsession with "aerospace grade materials". That could just mean something's made of the same stuff that the inflight catering food trays are made of.

Edit: from the Wiki article that someone else linked to on here:

Applicability to "ruggedized" consumer products[edit]
MIL-STD-810 is a flexible standard that allows users to tailor test methods to fit the application. As a result, a vendor's claims of "...compliance to MIL-STD-810..." can be misleading, because no commercial organization or agency certifies compliance, commercial vendors can create the test methods or approaches to fit their product. Suppliers can—and some do—take significant latitude with how they test their products, and how they report the test results. When queried, many[quantify] manufacturers will admit no testing has actually been done and that the product is only designed/engineered/built-to comply with the standard[citation needed]. This is because many of the tests described can be expensive to perform and usually require special facilities. Consumers who require rugged products should verify which test methods that compliance is claimed against and which parameter limits were selected for testing. Also, if some testing was actually done they would have to specify: (i) against which test methods of the standard the compliance is claimed; (ii) to which parameter limits the items were actually tested; and (iii) whether the testing was done internally or externally by an independent testing facility.[21]

It would be fun to call out some of the companies on here over that

Last edited:

philrock

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2015
Ventura, CA
Normally I buy spigen cases but this time I went for the slim Totallee.
I really want just something against scratches.
Bulky cases are ****.
Did you get the matte or transparent? I'd love to hear your thoughts once you get it. My 12 won't arrive until 10/30 so I have a little time...

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
What happened to Apple's bumpers from the days of the iPhone 4/4S? Those were the most effective and least aesthetic-destroying. My last 2 phones (5s and SE), I've gone without a case.

And they were free! Plus whenever mine broke, the Apple Store was always happy to just exchange it for a new one, no questions asked.

Reactions: ^^BIGMac

philrock

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2015
Ventura, CA
I got this Torras case, which is the same one I have for my XS. Not sure how it compares to the Totalee Thin case, but I like this one for how little bulk it adds while adding a good amount of grip.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CZS3HQB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_7Y7IFbY8PTDWD
That looks nice! I really just want something to keep scratches at bay while not losing the aesthetic or significantly bulking up the size of the phone. I'd love to hear how you like it once on your phone! I have until 10/30 so I'm still shopping... Thanks

SuperCachetes

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2010
Away from you
You would be wrong.

Nope, I'd be marketing, as companies will do. If I use 6061, I can claim, with a straight face, that it's "aerospace grade." I don't have to get down in the weeds on how it's tempered or otherwise treated specifically for an application to meet the standard of care for advertising.

In any case, my argument was that the marketing claims were somewhat meaningless. I'm sure the iPhone 12 frame is beautifully engineered. That doesn't mean you can fly it to space any more than "military grade" means a case will survive a rifle shot.

Reactions: webbuzz

webbuzz

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2010
Nope, I'd be marketing, as companies will do. If I use 6061, I can claim, with a straight face, that it's "aerospace grade." I don't have to get down in the weeds on how it's tempered or otherwise treated specifically for an application to meet the standard of care for advertising.
I misread your post as you claiming aerospace grade and 3104 or 3004 was the same. Instead you were saying a company can market as such. Of course they can.

As someone that has worked in marketing and manufacturing for consumer electronics and defense contractors, marketing would never do that. The business team and legal counsel would never approve such claims.

Reactions: decypher44

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
are the 3rd party cases compatible with magsafe, or will I need to wait for spigen to release a magsafe version of their tough armor case in order to use magsafe chargers that hold the phone in place?
Since Spigen *still* insists that their better cases have that damn window in the back, are they ever going to be compatible with Apple's MagSafe?

Reactions: HouseofG

Stromos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2016
Woodstock, GA
So leave a link to the case, as we suggested. Obviously we can’t cover every case, but you are welcome to leave a link.

you can’t simultaneously complain that we won’t cover them when you can’t be bothered to link to the product, yourself.

Last edited:
Reactions: arn

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
For me the Spigen Neo Hybrid is the case that I find myself going back to. The fit, profile, and protection hit the sweet spot. https://www.spigen.com/products/iphone-12-iphone-12-pro-case-neo-hybrid?variant=32590872608815
Yeah, but they only have that wacky "Gunmetal" color again with black TPU. I'm not sure what universe Spigen originates from that guns are that color.

Edit: I see on the Spigen web site (vs Amazon) that the Satin Silver one is expected in 30 days. Is the TPU that dark blue like the picture makes out? They sold the same color combination for the 11 as well.

Last edited:

Stromos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2016
Woodstock, GA
If you're wearing a COVID mask, don't even bother buying an iPhone. Tim Cook is living in la la land or something on this.
Everyone else has fixed this problem, but not Apple.

NO PANDEMIC COMPATIBLE iPhone and Tim Cook is loving it! :mad:

You do realize these phones were likely design complete before the pandemic right? They have Gen one new TouchID tech coming in the iPad this year if it’s a hit they will likely eventually get it into the iPhone line.

Also they did do something they made FaceID able to detect masks and take you straight to the pin entry.

BaltimoreMediaBlog

Suspended
Jul 30, 2015
DC / Baltimore / Northeast
You do realize these phones were likely design complete before the pandemic right? They have Gen one new TouchID tech coming in the iPad this year if it’s a hit they will likely eventually get it into the iPhone line.

Also they did do something they made FaceID able to detect masks and take you straight to the pin entry.

Yeah, Apple is the LAST to the game in current TOUCH ID under the screen or in the power button. They dropped the ball by being stubborn and snobby and it will cost them in sales as people in stores will realize that they cannot even unlock these phones observing proper protocols to even walk in the store! HAHA! They really screwed up no matter what you all think.

I mean, I love the specs overall on all of these iPhone 12s, but they are simply unusable in my state. I know they didn't have a lot of time to adapt to the pandemic, but it's as if they are tone deaf and didn't even try. :mad:

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
Someone took real life photos of it here:

Thanks for the link, but have you personally seen it? I’m worried about the front protection. There is no front photo , I really would like to see it, if it has a raised front edge.

Stromos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2016
Woodstock, GA
Yeah, Apple is the LAST to the game in current TOUCH ID under the screen or in the power button. They dropped the ball by being stubborn and snobby and it will cost them in sales as people in stores will realize that they cannot even unlock these phones observing proper protocols to even walk in the store! HAHA! They really screwed up no matter what you all think.

I mean, I love the specs overall on all of these iPhone 12s, but they are simply unusable in my state. I know they didn't have a lot of time to adapt to the pandemic, but it's as if they are tone deaf and didn't even try. :mad:

With a mask on you look at the phone and are prompted for a pin right away. Don’t need to take a mask off or anything. I agree they are slow but the phone is to no stretch unusable with a mask on I do it every day.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003

Unusable? Really? You mean it's too much effort to enter a passcode? Mine has 11 digits and it takes me just 4 seconds.

Reactions: artfossil and cesko

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
And they were free! Plus whenever mine broke, the Apple Store was always happy to just exchange it for a new one, no questions asked.
I think the free offer was because of antennagate. When I went to replace mine after about a year, they had changed the design (manufacturing defect?) and it no longer worked properly. The fit was too tight and it would cause the power button to be pressed even at rest draining the battery. I ended up returning that one and that’s when I started carrying the phone without a bumper.

cesko

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2009
Canada
For my SE 2020 went with ESR’s clear Air Armor and their charger too from Amazon. Will be doing the same for the 12 mini and then opt for the as-of-yet unreleased MagSafe pop-up grip.

Reactions: 5105973

speg

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2006
Ottawa
Has anyone read confirmation about the Apple silicon cases and a front lip? Is there one? Would hate for it to be flush and not protect the screen when placed face down.

Neeldenn

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2018
Germany
I’ve ordered both, the Spigen ThinFit and Ultra Hybrid with the black frame. Gonna keep whichever fits better, though I’d like to show the gorgeous blue color with the ultra hybrid case. Just depends on, if the case puts on too much of a bulk around the frame.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.