Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HeadsUp7Up

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2018
I finally was able to see one in person at an Apple Store recently and I will be getting rid of my XS Max and getting a mini 13 this fall. My wife wants to get rid of her XS and get a mini as well. It's the perfect size and I'm over big phones, I use my iPad if I need/want a larger screen now.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
It's a nice phone, but it really wasn't made for the vast majority of users who tend to do almost everything on their phones these days.

I don't think the price was too high, just too close to the slightly bigger version of the phone.

Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos

B.A.T

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2009
Idaho
Apple has got to be loving this device. If anything, it forced more people to move up at least 1 tier and spend more money on their phone.
As for me, I bought two the day they were released through T-Mobile and we have been loving them. Perfect sized phone for both my wife and I. Between the trade in values for our iPhone 8 and 8plus and the $200 gift cards for being loyal customers it was a no brainer that didn't cost us much.

Zwetsgensteyn

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2011
Switzerland
Knowing MR, it will be many more times.

Following widespread reports that the iPhone 12 mini has experienced poor sales performance, at least relative to other iPhone 12 models, Taiwanese research firm TrendForce today claimed that production of the device has already ended.

purple-iphone-12-and-12-mini.jpg

According to TrendForce, the iPhone 12 mini "reached End-of-Life ahead of time" during the second quarter of 2021, suggesting that Apple will focus on selling through its existing inventory of the device without producing any further units. Launched in October 2020, the iPhone 12 mini features a 5.4-inch display that caters to fans of smaller smartphones, with pricing starting at $699 in the United States.

While production has reportedly ceased, the iPhone 12 mini remains available on Apple.com without any notable shipping delays for now. The device is offered in six colors, including a purple option that went on sale in late April.

Apple is still expected to unveil an iPhone 13 mini later this year, but rumors suggest the 5.4-inch model will be discontinued in 2022.

Article Link: iPhone 12 Mini Production Reportedly Ended Earlier Than Expected Due to Relatively Low Sales
I would have bought one. It simply came out ½ year too late. So I choose the SE instead. The reason is: I have my iPad most of the time with me. Therfor i just need a small device for the most important functions while hiking or spending time with friends.

corrado7

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2008
Atlanta
I bought the mini twice. The second time it lasted 45 days. The battery life was short, smaller keyboard to type on and overall the display was not big enough for content. Replaced with 12.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Wait, does this mean only the regular 12 would remain in the lineup later this year? That means Apple has to drop the price of the 12 quite a bit. Would this also mean there will be no 13 mini?

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Just bought the purple for my wife as an upgrade to her 8. It's really a perfect size, but for power users the battery life can be a bummer--thankfully she isn't.
I think you nailed it. The smaller battery of the mini really kills it for anyone who are more than casual phone users.
But I still hope Apple would maintain the design for a new SE. The current SE's battery is even worse than the mini.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Right when I was about to sell my iPhone 11 in favor of the mini! I think Apple called it correctly, just too early. Everything runs in cycles, and I believe in a few years there will be a push to go small again. I could be wrong - I usually am.

I have to carry two phones, I wish they were both minis...
lol I carry two minis. I love them. My purple one just got me through a grueling family emergency that kept me operating in crisis mode for about 16 hours, relaying texts to friends and family. I only got a few minutes to top off the charge but it charges so fast that’s all I needed.

And I was so grateful for the light weight, because I pretty much had to hold the phone most of the day. At one point I even dozed off with it in my hand. I was spared the hand fatigue that comes to me within minutes of wrangling my 12 Pro Max. I’m a woman with medium sized hands so I just appreciate this small sized phone.

It was the one rare day I carried only the one mini, so of course it would be the day I ran into an emergency.

These are fantastic phones. I love the camera and I wish they were more popular to ensure we’d always have this size available. But the situation is what it is, so I will treasure my minis while I have them.

PWM was a problem for me my first couple of months owning my first mini but I seem to have adjusted somehow.

I am setting aside a budget to get the 13 mini if it’s to be the last of the minis. Maybe even two!

b11051973

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2006
They overpriced it, and they released SE2 the same year which many people bought and didn’t want to re-buy

Market factors bigger problem than the device itself. Imo

I wonder if the mini will become the SE3 in a year or two. Now that they have a small Face ID iPhone form factor, they could turn it into their cheap phone down the road.

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
They overpriced it, and they released SE2 the same year which many people bought and didn’t want to re-buy

Market factors bigger problem than the device itself. Imo
Indeed. I was always in the market for a smaller phone, but my battery was dying on my SE just after the new one was announced.

I’m still interested in a smaller iPhone, but it will be sometime at the end of next year before I consider buying one.

mkoesel

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2005
I wonder if the mini will become the SE3 in a year or two. Now that they have a small Face ID iPhone form factor, they could turn it into their cheap phone down the road.

Prevailing rumor suggests the XR/11 form factor for the third generation SE which makes sense based on both the expected timing of the device and the fact that it uses lower cost LCD screen technology. Remember, the SE does not need to be a compact device, it just needs to be cheap. In fact, the SE by and large targets a customer who wants the most features they can get (including the largest screen) for their dollar.

The mini could have been a candidate for the fourth generation SE later this decade. But in order to do that it would have to have reached significant enough volume to stay in the lineup and see its price steadily decrease over the next few years. That's obviously not going to happen now.

SDJim

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2017
San Diego, CA
Okay but look at the price point! MILLIONS of these sold to people who WANTED them! If you weren't looking for the mini specifically, you would likely just jump up to the regular 12! I am sick of the Mini being touted as underselling just because Apple over-produced them. If it had been significantly cheaper and still undersold, sure, that would be damning. But it was priced right up with the standard phone and people showed that they PREFERRED, at almost the same cost, the smaller phone! Including me!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.