Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
Okay, so I read the blurb on the front page today about the iPhone having 512 MB RAM, and the iPad only 256. It was a little grating, given I haven't taken my iPad out of the box yet...but I digress.

For those of you with iPads, has the 256 been a hinderance? Any slowdowns, etc? I'm thinking the use of flash memory will cancel out any negatives from less RAM, but who knows?

Yes you get a *lot* of page reloading in Safari. Sometimes you only need to open a second browser window and the first gets flushed from memory. Luckily, unlike the iPhone 3G, the iPad remembers whether you have navigated to the current page from somewhere else, so the back button still works. However, the iPad badly badly badly needs more RAM. Apple were clearly on another planet when they specced 256mb for the iPad. Hopefully OS 4.0 will bring some major memory savings.

Gen

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
I wonder if they'll update the iPad during the annual iPod updates.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
Really great to hear it has 512MB, I was disappointed with it having only 256MB.

Any info on the CPU clock and the GPU model?

If anyone still has any doubt:

http://drp.ly/1djZ7A

1djZ7A.Screen%20shot%202010-06-17%20at%203.10.51%20PM.png

Taken just a few minutes ago by me.

Thanks!

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
I wonder if they'll update the iPad during the annual iPod updates.

Or better yet, will the next gen iPods have the iPhone design, or keep their current designs. I would think Apple would want to separate them, and make the iPhone more "cool" as to make people buy one of those over the less "cool" looking iPod.

William Gates

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
Honestly, after WWDC, I started wondering if the iPad would get updated with the front facing camera, and now more RAM when iOS 4 is available for it sometime this fall.

me2000

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2008
I have an iPad and I'm still happy with this news.

The iPad is not obsolete now. The iPad works great with the RAM it has.. It's still fast as hell.

And I'm glad my new iPhone will also be fast as hell.

In about a year we'll see an iPad with at least 512 mb of memory and hopefully a better screen (not a retina).

muskratboy

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2007
D) Really the Core i7 is downclocked in my 27" iMac? Speed says it is 2.8 Ghz which is the advertised speed from Intel on the specific model of the i7 used in the iMac.

well of course it is man... it's intel, isn't it?

that's why the i7's overclock to 4ghz with no problem.

intel dribbles out chips with artificially low clockspeeds, and slowly increases those as it moves forward selling. it's all the same chips... they are just "rated" to run faster.

California King

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2007
I have an iPad and I'm still happy with this news.

The iPad is not obsolete now. The iPad works great with the RAM it has.. It's still fast as hell.

And I'm glad my new iPhone will also be fast as hell.

In about a year we'll see an iPad with at least 512 mb of memory and hopefully a better screen (not a retina).

Yes, iPad 2 will definitely have at least 1GB of RAM. Then they can say, ZOMG!! 4x faster!!

...j/k :)

sasebastian

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2010
Old news, apple has done this also on some older system some years ago and did it also with video cards. Can't remember when exactly it was done now but I remember stories about this issue.

They do this because they can't keep using old chips sometimes I guess they have to move forward before they are ready so they just downgrade they systems. I am sure if you could over-clock like you can on windows side we would get some eye opening performance over the years.

But seem I have never herd of anyone making software that could do this, not even hackers.

they have increased my gpu speed with a firmware update a couple years ago but the cpu still says 2.8 while it is in fact a 3.0 chip. My point was that apple has under clocked many devices and then clocked them back up in the future instead of putting a completely new chip in. the 2.8 core 2 duo imac is the same chip as the 3.06 core 2 duo. the only difference is the clock speed that has been up'd by software. This is probably not so in the "i' series chips from intel. The intel chips are cheaper now than they were in 2007 and doesn't cost apple as much to change chips instead of just changing clock speed and calling it a new chip.

Jimmdean

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2007
I can guarantee you the iphone 4 only has 512MB of RAM because 256MB was not cutting it, probably because of the cameras and the phone, and features related to those (all of which the ipad does not have). Certain chunks of that RAM are going to be set aside for those by the OS, maybe permanently set aside, especially for any phone-related features that cannot wait for memory to free up and cannot risk errors due to no available memory. The "HD" recording alone could be needing a ton of that RAM, something the ipad just doesn't have to contend with. It is very likely that the amount of free available memory (for apps) on the iphone 4 won't be much or any higher than on the ipad (or the 3GS).
Just wait and see how much RAM the next ipod touch gets, since it will likely have some of the camera action, but not the phone. I suspect if it comes with the same video recording specs it will also have 512MB RAM.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
Ah, okay.

Well, my iPad works, so I'm not complaining :D

And that's the most important point.

Who cares how much of anything, whether that be RAM, GHz, GB, or whatever, if it does the tasks speedily and well?

Any discussion of the former (RAM, etc.) when the latter (speed of task) is good is merely a bunch of willy waving, and incredibly pointless.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
So a phone will have the same amount of RAM as my powerbook from 2004. That's kind of brilliant.

muskratboy

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2007
It has a 1ghz ARM cortex A9 Multi-core processor with Apples seal of approval. Apple did not make the A4. ARM did and then Apple purchased ARM and called it an Apple processor. I'm sure Apple tweaked it a bit but ARM did all the work before the chip maker was acquired my Apple. The chip is technically 1.3ghz but has been clocked down by Apple to reduce heat and power consumption. Apple does this quite often with chips such as intel in imac, which are also all under clocked slightly.

proof that just quickly glancing over MacRumors can be a dangerous thing!

next time, slow down and read. arn will appreciate it. :)

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009

Sorry, but a number on a single slide presented in passing to make some a point that was independent of the iPhone 4 itself does not convince me, even if it's from an Apple presentation. That could have been a guess, a mistake - lots of things. The fact that there was only 256 MB on the protypes of the actual iPhone 4 hardware device is a more convincing argument. The 512 MB may be true, but I'll believe it only with the actual production phone breakdown.

Tony

bennifer3000

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
I see a lot of confusion in this thread about what a processor does and what RAM does.

But great news. I was hoping it'd have 512MB!! :D

LoganT

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2007
I have no idea why people think that because the iPad didn't have 512MB of RAM, the iPhone 4 wasn't going to have it. Apple doesn't work that way. In September, Apple could update the iPod Touch and put in 1 GB of RAM and a 2GHZ processor (they aren't going to, I know that).

sasebastian

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2010
well of course it is man... it's intel, isn't it?

that's why the i7's overclock to 4ghz with no problem.

intel dribbles out chips with artificially low clockspeeds, and slowly increases those as it moves forward selling. it's all the same chips... they are just "rated" to run faster.

If you were not being sarcastic, then thank you for proving my point. they are underclocked. intel and apple are not going to throw last months chip in the trash and build a new one. they will just up the speed of the previous chip until it reaches the max speed possible and then start designing a new chip.

the iphone 4 chip is underclocked from ARMs original spec for that chip. Next year watch the ipad 2 be 1.3ghz A4.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004

Regardless of how easy it is to get access to the videos, I'm pretty sure you've agreed to not post such screenshots from the developer sessions on a public forum.

Important notice: The content presented within the WWDC 2010 session videos and slides is Apple Confidential Information and is subject to the Registered Apple Developer Agreement.

Yebot

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
While it's great that the iPhone has such good technology, I think it's pretty ridiculous that the iPad, which is being marketed as a laptop replacement, has less power than a phone.

The iPad is not being marketed as a laptop replacement. It is marketed as something different; something other than a phone or a laptop.

AppleiPad21.jpg

muskratboy

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2007
My question is now long will it take to output a 720p video in iMovie and how much battery drain are we talking here.

really, that's your question?

how much battery life it will take to edit movies?

dude, you need to get some more interesting questions.

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
So a phone will have the same amount of RAM as my powerbook from 2004. That's kind of brilliant.

Well, that was almost 7 years ago, and Apple was behind current technology then, as usual. So it's really like 10 years ago that most PC's had 512MB RAM. That seems rather underwhelming to me. :rolleyes:

Unless you were being sarcastic.....

Tony

SeanMcg

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2004
Apple is "an American multinational corporation that designs and markets consumer electronics, computer software, and personal computers." From Wikipedia. Much of this forum is concerned with new and rumored events and products from Apple.

The rest of the forum is dedicated to, or populated by, posts from people complaining (or claiming the execrable "epic fail" )because they didn't get what they wanted or because specifications of the actual product didn't match overhyped RUMORS or random musings in other posts.

By the way, where's my PowerBook G5?
:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.