Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CBR900RR

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2008
Middle of Pacific
Thanks, was finally able to see one (and buy one) yesterday at Best Buy.

In the end you are right, it is not much bigger than the CaseMate Carbon Fiber Case that I ended up getting last week at the ATT store (without the belt clip), so it does fit in my pants pocket when needed. And the built-in screen protector is very nice - no watermarking here.

If I have a complaint about the Defender, it is only that it is I find it very hard to open up the hard plastic case to remove the iPhone 4. Which can be a good thing or a bad thing.

The good of it is that the hard plastic shell should protect the iPhone 4 very well from the case popping open - even with the rubber cover on it - providing extra protection. The bad of it is that it makes it tough if one needs/wants to remove the iPhone 4 from the Defender case.

For me the reason to remove the iPhone 4 easily from a case would be to use
some of the currently available tripod adapters or GPS adapters with connectors. On the vain/fun side is to be able to show off the iPhone 4 with a fun custom skin like the Leica like iP4 image shared in another thread with a Griffin case. :D

But within hours of buying the Otterbox Defender and getting it installed, I found out that it is worth its weight in gold IMO. And learned a lesson on the belt clip as well. Thought I had secured the Defender protected iPhone to the belt clip, and went out and about doing some sightseeing. On my return to the hotel, I was leaving the shuttle bus with noise isolating earbuds attached listening to some tunes. All of a sudden there was dead silence in my earbuds. :eek:

Looked down and the earbud jack was hanging free at my feet. My heart sank. Turned around and the bellman was just getting up from picking up my just a week and half old iPhone 4 from the asphalt. Quick check of the Defender case showed no damage what so ever. And EVERYTHING on the iPhone 4 worked like the day it was new!

Now for a tip on the use of the belt clip - just be sure that you hear a good solid click to be sure that the case is securely in place.... :)

Any chance that you bump the holster release into something?

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Any chance that you bump the holster release into something?

To be honest there I am not sure... just now I know I need to be sure of a loud click with the holster clip... there have been a couple times that I thought it was "secure"...

That afternoon I did some "tests" to be sure it wasn't a "flaw"... and in that bus incident I do think it was "user error" on my part.... otherwise the belt clip seems to hold it VERY secure...

Have tried to replicate that situation with the loud click on the holster, and have not been able to get it drop off as it did on the shuttle bus... The only way I was able to replicate it is with what I call a "soft click"...

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Yes there is always a chance. It's held in pretty decent but a good bump right on the clip would probably release it.

Since that "time of heart failure" I have tried my best to see why it happened....

All I can say that there are times that you "think" it is clipped in and it is not... but in my case the phone and the case looked like new. :)

IdiotWithAGun

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2009
cprloe, if you do like touching the "naked" glass, or if you would prefer using a screen protector, simply cut out the plastic screen protector in your defender, and you will get 99% of the protection your defender provides and still get the brightness, detail, and "feel" that you like.

can anyone else confirm taht this does not compromise protection? i am really interested in doing this.

WorldIRC

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2005
Curious about the removal of the "Screen Protector" on the case. I much prefer the anti-glare that is on the phone (personal preference) and if I could interact with it directly, that would be great.

As for the holster, I wish the lip that you use to remove the phone was a little long. I find its a little close to the phone which makes it harder to remove than say the Seidio clip. Luckily, the case was a media sample :) Fortte will also be making me a media sample case that I can use with the Defender as well.

wattsja

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2009
I removed the useless "screen protector" the day I got it. You don't cut it out though, you just peel it off.

agreed. I have an SGP oleophobic and though I did not experience the "water spotting" affect .. the included screen shield distracted me more than helped. Popped it out and cleaned the glue within one hour of getting the case.

basement zombie

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2009
I see the Commuter is now available. Anyone try one? Compared it to the Defender? I would prefer to get the Commuter, but...it says it provides 'shock' protection - my main concern is it being protected in drops...

WorldIRC

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2005
I see the Commuter is now available. Anyone try one? Compared it to the Defender? I would prefer to get the Commuter, but...it says it provides 'shock' protection - my main concern is it being protected in drops...

On the Commuter, the one piece molded poly carb shell is not anywhere near as strong as the two piece on the Defender. While I don't doubt that the case would be ok on "a drop", the Defender instills much more confidence in this.

Bumps, shocks, and scratches is what the commuter is marketed and designed for.

OverSpun

macrumors 65816
Sep 12, 2006
California
I remember seeing a post in this thread about having an idea fixing their defender case and cleaning the oil on the outside? My def is pretty oily. I love it, but I want fix it.

basement zombie

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2009
On the Commuter, the one piece molded poly carb shell is not anywhere near as strong as the two piece on the Defender. While I don't doubt that the case would be ok on "a drop", the Defender instills much more confidence in this.

Bumps, shocks, and scratches is what the commuter is marketed and designed for.
Thanks for the info.
I'm looking for routine daily use drop protection from 'personal use' level (pocket level, hand use level, not from a roof :) ), while trying to remain less bulky - nothing extreme. :)

WorldIRC

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2005
Thanks for the info.
I'm looking for routine daily use drop protection from 'personal use' level (pocket level, hand use level, not from a roof :) ), while trying to remain less bulky - nothing extreme. :)

Why not go for a Seidio Innocase Active or something if you're looking for "personal use" dropping as opposed to OtterBox's industrial dropping.

basement zombie

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2009
Why not go for a Seidio Innocase Active or something if you're looking for "personal use" dropping as opposed to OtterBox's industrial dropping.
I'm very unfamiliar with the iphone case 'landscape.' :D
This is my first iphone. :apple:
Thanks for the suggestion - I'll go google it now. Any other suggestions while I'm at it?

WorldIRC

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2005
I'm very unfamiliar with the iphone case 'landscape.' :D
This is my first iphone. :apple:
Thanks for the suggestion - I'll go google it now. Any other suggestions while I'm at it?

Seidio will be making a "defender" version as well, but I think I prefer the Seidio Holster over the Otterbox

basement zombie

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2009
Seidio will be making a "defender" version as well, but I think I prefer the Seidio Holster over the Otterbox
Interesting. Just found the site, and they look nice. I'm going to try to find out of they previously made these for the 3Gs, and people's thoughts about it.

Do you anticipate that the Seido 'Defender' will be a similar protective step up from the innocase active as the otter commuter --> defender?

WorldIRC

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2005
Interesting. Just found the site, and they look nice. I'm going to try to find out of they previously made these for the 3Gs, and people's thoughts about it.

Do you anticipate that the Seido 'Defender' will be a similar protective step up from the innocase active as the otter commuter --> defender?

Yup! I've used Seidio for a long time and have always been pleased with their performance on all levels of "protection"...but Seidio is newer to the "defender" level of protection than Rocky Mountain based OtterBox (hence where the motivation for outdoor activity level cases began).

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA

If you're talking about their "Rugged" line of cases, I'm also interested in seeing their version for the iPhone 4. It's a great concept...a thinner, stand-alone base case (if desired), that can be wrapped with the shock absorbing layer and then the plastic exoskeleton for added protection when the need arises. On paper, it's the best of both worlds...a thin but protective base case (it's their Innocase 360 that's the inner-most case), and stackable protection when you need a "Defender" type. Has Seidio said anything about when it may be available?

NYDiplomat

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2010

I am also waiting to see how the rugged will stack up. On there site they update there pic of it but who know when pre orders and shipping dates will start. I also prefer the seidio holster over otterbox.

aggie03

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2009
Just got my shipping notification for my $19.84 Defender case I purchased off of Amazon on 7/23. It says it should be here the 24th...can't complain about the long shipping time, I paid less than half of the retail price.

I am not entirely sure if I am even interested in using it. I have an Incase Slider, and an Incase Snap (courtesy of the case program), and I like them both; however, I like the idea of the added protection.

EzhnoWolf

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2010
Vancouver, Canada
Just got the Otterbox Defender for my iPhone 4 and I gotta say, it offers amazing protection and I love it for that reason, but it is not the most aesthetically pleasing IMO :)

WorldIRC

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2005
Just got the Otterbox Defender for my iPhone 4 and I gotta say, it offers amazing protection and I love it for that reason, but it is not the most aesthetically pleasing IMO :)

The advantage is people will keep their hands off it :)

WorldIRC

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2005
I removed the screen protector off the case today and am using the much higher quality antiglare that I had on the phone! Much better.

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
time for a customizeable iPhone?

For those who is going to cover up the iPhone with a case, I think Apple should make an iPhone that doesn't have a nice finish. Perhaps a simple plastic finish with anchor points (screw holes or some sort of fastening system) ready to accept whatever the accessories one can think of. It seems like a waste to have such a nice finish covered up. May be not putting a nice exterior on will make the phone cost a little less.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.