Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gceo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2007
San Diego, CA
I can also confirm that my 4 had yellow spots in the same lower area, but cleared up overnight.

I also have the reception issue, but not so bad that it drops calls or slows data.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
I just picked mine up this morning and I have a spot on there... hopefully it will go away.

SonGoku v2.5

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2010
The news is beginning to suck for trolls; the yellow issue is resolving itself and a simple case resolves the bar issue. Don't worry guys, you will ALWAYS have the flash complaint when discussing the iPhone.:apple::D

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
I didn't want to say anything but I have one brown and one yellow spot on my phone.

The brown spot looks like Jesus, and the yellow spot the Virgin Mary. I am dead serious. Unfortunately, I only have the one camera, the phone itself, so I can't figure out how to take a picture of it, but I think I have something special here.

AbsolutePunk00

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
My yellow spot runs pretty much all the way across the bottom of the screen. But it's darker on the bottom right corner.

Yup...same here.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like a good 75% of these phones have the issue at this point. So it seems worthless to even try for a replacement because you'll just get another yellow-spotted phone. Apple is going to have to fix something with the manufacturing and get us all new phones.

Sell your Apple stock while you still can :)

HarryKeogh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
I just don't get how these phones were probably made weeks ago, put on a ship, transported around the world, put in a warehouse, then given to FedEx who sat on them until authorized to deliver them and after all that time people are waking up to find the glue has finally cured the day after they noticed it?

gehrbox

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2007
Charleston,SC
Yup...same here.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like a good 75% of these phones have the issue at this point. So it seems worthless to even try for a replacement because you'll just get another yellow-spotted phone. Apple is going to have to fix something with the manufacturing and get us all new phones.

Lucky me being one of the 25% without defects. I think the issue is not nearly as wide spread as you indicate.

Carbonadam

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2010
Very slight yellow cast

I have had it for a few hours now since 7:30. The screen has a very slight yellow cast to it. More apparent with a white background or graphic than anywhere else. It's very subtle.

carlos916

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2010
Sacramento, CA
Just like I commented on the other post .. This is the same thing like when the 3G came out n had the same problem... After a while the yellow spots go away..

speendle

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2008
Not sure about the explanation....

Hopefully a chemist can confirm this but...

The organosilane being used (aminopropyl triethoxysilane, APTES) is an agent designed to improve bonding between surfaces which don't really want to bond. Namely the silane group(s) like bonding with hydroxylated surfaces (preferably hydroxylated metals), the amino groups go after organics. So you'd want to have an incredibly thin layer (1 or two molecules thick) to get an improvement in bonding two surfaces, whether glass or glass/plastic, regardless of whether other adhesives are used. Any more than that and the adhesion will be pretty bad - you'll have excess APTES molecules bunging things up.

Secondly, APTES is pretty much clear - the APHA value of <25 is a very, very faint yellow colour, so how much of it would you need to have piled up in one place to get the colours people (myself included) are noticing? A layer trapped between glass wouldn't show up, even if it was thicker than the very thin layer required. The solvent used to apply the stuff (IPA by the looks of things) is clear as well. And as a final argument, if the marks are due to APTES residues (the solvent? the clear solvent?) having not fully evaporated, why does everyone see marks in much the same places? Surely there'd be blobs randomly distributed..? I don't buy it, sorry... I'd like to, but I don't. :)

LobsterDK

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
Yup...same here.

75% ?? What orifice did you pull that number out of? They sold 600,000 pre-orders alone. Have you seen 450,000 reports of yellow spots? Or are you implying that a handful of people out of 1 million+ (pre-order + walk ins) is somehow an adequate sample to make that determination?

Thegoodly

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2010
i got my phone at about 10ish this morning and noticed the yellow discolouration in the bottom right hand corner. but it certainly has faded during the course of the day an now barley noticeable. had no signal issues.

Ampidire

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2007
WA
Mines gone now, was there yesterday, kind of disappeared last night but thought I might have gotten used to it, apparently I wasn't used to it, but it's actually gone, so yay!

LobsterDK

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
The news is beginning to suck for trolls; the yellow issue is resolving itself and a simple case resolves the bar issue. Don't worry guys, you will ALWAYS have the flash complaint when discussing the iPhone.:apple::D

The yellow spot fixing itself is a good thing. But having to give Apple $30 more to fix a colossal engineering ****up (if that's what it turns out to be) is not even remotely acceptable, nor does it resolve anything. Not in this or any other universe.

LobsterDK

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
I just don't get how these phones were probably made weeks ago, put on a ship, transported around the world, put in a warehouse, then given to FedEx who sat on them until authorized to deliver them and after all that time people are waking up to find the glue has finally cured the day after they noticed it?

It's entirely plausible that Apple predicted a curtain number of sales and shipped enough stock to fit that estimation. But when they saw the pre-order sales explosion decided they need to ship "fresh" iPhones to try to meet that demand and it's those fresh phones that are seeing the problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.