Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PurpleHeart

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
OK I am disappointed with the 4S
mainly because of same screen size, same external design, no LTE and recycling of the A5 we've seen in iPad 2

But I can live with that. I mean, it doesn't stink as a phone.

However... My main reason for sitting on the fence is that iPhone 5 will be a drastic new design - much like the iPhone 4 was compared to 3GS. Retina display alone, was worth the jump last year

And that's assuming that the iPhone 5 comes out next October, which I am pretty sure it won't unless Apple wants to lose their share to Google Android / Samsung.

iPhone 4S is already an 'outdated' phone on launch date, lagging behind other phones that are same/lower in price.

considering apple releases iPhones only once per year, with competitors/Android phones coming out literally every other week, iPhone 4S will be 'ancient' by the end of the year, or January at the latest

Apple will be monitoring the sales and feedback and I can guarantee that the sales for 4S won't be as fantastic as 4 - despite the fact that there's been a longer gap since iPhone 4, and it is near Christmas season. At which point, Apple would be forced to move up the launch of iPhone 5 since with every device that goes over to Android, not only they lose another iOS device user, but also the money they would've made off of iTunes purchases

I would feel a lot better about purchasing iPhone 4s (which I am not so sure about now that I've seen the specs) if there was some form of guarantee that iPhone 4S won't be washed out in less than a year, but at this point, I feel that apple will be forced to move it up, even if slightly.

I saw a lot of pissed off iPad 1st gen owners - their device became 'old' after 9 months .... even 2-3 months for those countries who were on the last leg of launch. Along with that, used prices were slashed half literally - all within less than a year even for those who bought it on launch day

I'd feel jipped if same thing happens with 4S - especially since iPhone 4 owners have enjoyed the 'prime factor' for much longer than the regular cycle of 12mo.

Last edited:

complexcommunic

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2010
I'm totally with you. It makes a lot of sense that the iPhone 5 will be coming sooner rather than later, given that the 4S is a relatively small jump, and especially given all the iPhone 5 leaks that have not yet come to fruition. I wish I could wait on buying a 4S until I know what's up with 5, but my android phone is such a PIECE OF CRAP :mad::mad::mad:... I really can't wait :-/

UCLAKoolman

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
I'm totally with you. It makes a lot of sense that the iPhone 5 will be coming sooner rather than later, given that the 4S is a relatively small jump, and especially given all the iPhone 5 leaks that have not yet come to fruition. I wish I could wait on buying a 4S until I know what's up with 5, but my android phone is such a PIECE OF CRAP :mad::mad::mad:... I really can't wait :-/

The 3GS was an even smaller jump in specs than the 4S, and Apple still waited a year to release the iPhone 4.

Seriously, do you people forget these things so easily? If the iPhone 5 comes out next summer, hopefully Apple will again offer an early upgrade for 4S adopters

PurpleHeart

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
The 3GS was an even smaller jump in specs than the 4S, and Apple still waited a year to release the iPhone 4.

Seriously, do you people forget these things so easily? If the iPhone 5 comes out next summer, hopefully Apple will again offer an early upgrade for 4S adopters

iPhone 3GS was the standard of the industry - it was the leader, with no prominent competition - not even Samsung (pre Galaxy-era. with LG and the crappy Omnia as well)

as I mentioned above, iPhone 4S is already 'outdated'

It's a completely different situation from 2 years ago

Speedyparker87

Cancelled
Apr 4, 2010
Chicago
It's crazy to call it outdated. The smaller screen? It's a design choice (but I admit the best argument). Not an AMOLED screen? The current screen already has the best resolution and wouldn't be practical cost-wise to offer an AMOLED at the rate Apple will sell. It's a dual core processor which is on par with the competition. You have to remember Apple has to put together the best package of features that is completely polished and ready for a large user base. It's got the best OS and camera feature set.

Their biggest mistake is calling it the 4S instead of 5. However, I think that this suggests a summer release of the iPhone 5.

AIP5

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2011
I agree for the most part. I feel like they released this iPhone more for the international markets than the American market. Hence, the "world phone" (read: China Mobile/Unicom phone). Yes, I know that China's not getting this phone in October, but I feel like it was designed for them more.

Either way, I'm really hoping for an early 2012 iPhone 5 (or will they call it 6) announcement.

rellimie

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2010
My 15 month old iPhone 4 operates smoother, takes better pictures and has a nicer screen than my girlfriends brand new Samsung galaxy.

Yet I'm the outdated one. I'll never understand this argument.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Again, people, this is the hottest selling handset in the world. Why would it suddenly tank on 10/14, just because it 1) Costs the same, 2) has better specs?

Makes no sense at all. Especially when you factor in the whole new subgroup who will be getting their hands on it for the first time - Sprint customers.

NoHo

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2011
The only people upset with this announcement are the people who care more about how something looks rather than how it performs. So there wasn't a redesign. Who cares? If they would have slapped this same phone in a new design and called it the 5, these same people who are disliking it, would have been praising it.

It's only ancient in the sense that you won't be able to look super cool and hip with it because when you bust it out, people won't know if it's the year old iPhone 4 or the brand new iPhone 4S and that's what REALLY makes you mad.

Everyone will buy it regardless and it will sell tons.

Number 41

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Again, people, this is the hottest selling handset in the world. Why would it suddenly tank on 10/14, just because it 1) Costs the same, 2) has better specs?

Makes no sense at all. Especially when you factor in the whole new subgroup who will be getting their hands on it for the first time - Sprint customers.

The only reason it will sell is because people are tied into the iOS environment right now.

If this was a new phone offering or first device in ecosystem, it'd be DOA and would be on clearance before the end of the year. It simply isn't competitive with what you get for the same money on the Android platform, especially regarding:

1. Screen size (not 4")
2. Network Tech (no 4G LTE)
3. Build quality (fragile shattering gglass)

iOS is saving the iPhone 4S. It's literally the only reason to own this phone, because the tech on the handset itself is garbage.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Yawn

Weak and incoherent post by the OP.

You've backed up absolutely nothing. Opinions don't have to be proven or substantiated but then again they're like a%%%%les everyone has one.

You can't really be persuasive if you can only argue from your own PoV.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
If you look at their Macs, it is the same way. They never want to reveal their GPU and will still charge you premium for them.

Apple has never been about specs at all. It is about if it just works for everybody. Not just for geeks. I think Apple is concerned with just expanding their market globally and 4S should still sell in record numbers with a quick global rollout.

RIM outsells Apple in India and we all know they have been stuck in the past for years. Whether BlackBerry is still new to them, India has 600M phone subscribers. That is an unsaturated market Apple simply can't overlook. There is a reason why Apple opening retail stores in Chinese cities will be big for them in the longer-run. Asia is the most populated continent with the most potential to expand since it isn't as saturated with iPhone owners like in the U.S.

mark28

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2010
My 15 month old iPhone 4 operates smoother, takes better pictures and has a nicer screen than my girlfriends brand new Samsung galaxy.

Yet I'm the outdated one. I'll never understand this argument.

That can't be right. The Samsung Galaxy S II is wiping the floor with the iPhone in benchmarks.

mark28

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2010
The only reason it will sell is because people are tied into the iOS environment right now.

If this was a new phone offering or first device in ecosystem, it'd be DOA and would be on clearance before the end of the year. It simply isn't competitive with what you get for the same money on the Android platform, especially regarding:

1. Screen size (not 4")
2. Network Tech (no 4G LTE)
3. Build quality (fragile shattering gglass)

iOS is saving the iPhone 4S. It's literally the only reason to own this phone, because the tech on the handset itself is garbage.

The screen has me worried. People say iPhone has the best screen of all phones ... why do I see so many people with broken glass? :confused:

( I dropped my phone alot of times, but it's still looks brand new without even a scratch )

Number 41

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Apple has never been about specs at all.

Which is why today was so puzzling -- it was hard sell on specs with absolutely nothing on form, design, or asthetics.

They didn't give new and sexy, they gave old and "but look at the GRAPHICS it puts out!"

Very, very PC. Very un-Apple.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
iPhone 3GS was the standard of the industry - it was the leader, with no prominent competition - not even Samsung (pre Galaxy-era. with LG and the crappy Omnia as well)

as I mentioned above, iPhone 4S is already 'outdated'

It's a completely different situation from 2 years ago

The iPhone 4S will be one of the top 3 selling smartphones of 2011, and one of the top 2 selling smartphones of 2012.

I am not sure what world you live in where that is outdated. Android actually sucks and that is the primary OS that Apple is competing with. Combine that with the fact that the device makers have no control over the hardware and there is very little they can do.

As of right now the iPhone 4 is the best smartphone on the market. Come the 14th of October, the 4S will become the new best smartphone and will probably retain that position until the iPhone 5 comes out, whenever that may be.

The reality of the situation is none of the android devices are anywhere close to the iPhone when it comes to usability and user experience. They all pale in comparison and make ridiculous trade offs.

For every android phone that adds some new feature, you can add to it "on a sucky phone."

They added a larger screen + "on a sucky phone."

They added LTE + "on a sucky phone."

None of the Android handset makers take the user experience the least bit seriously and they don't take the behavior and performance of the phone into account when making changes. They just add crap on there regardless of what it might actual do to the phone or the experience.

For those of you who love that experience, enjoy... Apple will continue to roll along with all the top selling smartphones for the next few years.

It is possible in 2012 that the top selling Android handset will be outsold by the iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, and iPhone 3freakingGS. In 2012 it is likely the best selling android device will be outsold by the iPhone 3GS.

Android is a cluster right now... Google is trying to figure out how to get out from under this mess they created that is really not making them much money. Microsoft makes more money off android than Google does. Google wants to go in house and integrate a new OS with MM hardware. They know it is the only way they can legitimately compete with Apple on this front because tight hardware integration with the OS is paramount. It allows you to make up for software shortcomings in the hardware and vice versa. It allows you to get most out of all your hardware and software. It is just a massive advantage, one so big that the android handset makers have no way of overcoming it.

That is why they just throw options dujour on their phones, pay big sales whore commissions and hope they can move a few units.

So yeah you are right.. it is the iPhone 4S that is outdated, not the entire Android Ecosystem (which is going to get its butt properly kicked by itself in the form of Kindle).

So if you want to see something outdated look at the entire Android world. It is not working correctly, nobody is making much money doing it and it is a cluster...Perhaps everyone involved needs to spend more time figuring things out and less time adding crappy additions that make their phones perform more poorly.

grovertdog

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2006
Yawn

Weak and incoherent post by the OP.

You've backed up absolutely nothing. Opinions don't have to be proven or substantiated but then again they're like a%%%%les everyone has one.

You can't really be persuasive if you can only argue from your own PoV.

I happen to agree with you. By the OP's own logic, since newer/better Android phones are rolling out "every week", then the poor soul who buys a 'Droid tomorrow will be sadly obsolete in 2 to 7 days.

Happy 4S users will have (imho) AT LEAST 8 months "on top" to enjoy the best, most robust, most polished, reliable & consistent mobile OS experience before better iOS hardware is available. Folks that want to point at numbers and vaporesque network speeds can feel free to move along.

Had this phone been named the "5", and had sexy tapered edges, most of this discussion wouldn't be happening.

I want a phone that WORKS, doesn't feel like junk, and doesn't cause me to worry about malware/etc when buying apps. I could care LESS about proc ghz or internal memory. That is about as relevant as "watts" when buying a stereo.

I'll be happily replacing my 3GS this Friday at 12:01 PDT...

Last edited:

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Which is why today was so puzzling -- it was hard sell on specs with absolutely nothing on form, design, or asthetics.

They didn't give new and sexy, they gave old and "but look at the GRAPHICS it puts out!"

Very, very PC. Very un-Apple.

The hardware specs don't matter. What drives people to the iPhone is the intuitive software. Android can put all the beefy specs they want in their phones but their polish isn't up to the level of the iPhone and that's why a higher amount of current Android users are keen to move off of the platform as opposed to iPhone.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
The hardware specs don't matter. What drives people to the iPhone is the intuitive software. Android can put all the beefy specs they want in their phones but their polish isn't up to the level of the iPhone and that's why a higher amount of current Android users are keen to move off of the platform as opposed to iPhone.

If a higher amount of current Android users are keen to move off of the platform then how come Android's market share is constantly growing? I wonder where do all of them go?

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
I happen to agree with you. By the OP's own logic, since newer/better Android phones are rolling out "every week", then the poor soul who buys a 'Droid tomorrow will be sadly obsolete in 2 to 7 days.

Happy 4S users will have (imho) AT LEAST 8 months "on top" to enjoy the best, most robust, most polished, reliable & consistent mobile OS experience before better iOS hardware is available. Folks that want to point at numbers and vaporesque network speeds can feel free to move along.

Had this phone been named the "5", and had sexy tapered edges, most of this discussion wouldn't be happening.

I want a phone that WORKS, doesn't feel like junk, and doesn't cause me to worry about malware/etc when buying apps. I could care LESS about proc ghz or internal memory. That is about as relevant as "watts" when buying a stereo.

I'll be happily replacing my 3GS this Friday at 12:01 PDT...

Even if you didn't, you would still be getting a big upgrade net week. How many 2 year old Android phones are getting a supported major OS update?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.