Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Donoban

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2013
Fat guy puts iPhone on back pocket. Sits down in his car and bends the phone. Scores a free replacement from apple. Thread closed.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
I bought a belt clip just for that reason. I am not going to ever put a $650.00 aluminum iphone in any of my pockets. No issues ;)

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
Fat guy puts iPhone on back pocket. Sits down in his car and bends the phone. Scores a free replacement from apple. Thread closed.

I would think that a thin guy (like the one the OP describes) in tight, skinny jeans would do more damage.

Not only would fat conform around the phone as needed, but the larger pockets wouldn't apply as much force on it.

OTOH, a phone in a small, tight pocket sandwiched against bone would likely be disastrous.

It's the lever action that warped the phone, not the weight.

jon3543

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2010
I'm just waiting for someone to blame it on falling on their phone due to vertigo induced by the irresponsible, outrageous, egregious, preposterous animation.

appleonlife

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2013
For everyone that's purchasing a new iPhone 5S, check and make sure the phone is not bend even slightly. If it looks like it's bend slightly, it's probably not your imagination and it's defective.

So my friend had order an iPhone 5S online and received Wednesday. I helped him setup his new phone and noticed the fingerprint home button doesn't work correctly. I told him to take it to Apple for them to see what's wrong. At the time, I didn't see any warp or damage on the phone. I put on a screen protector and in a case and gave him the phone after setting it up. Since my friend was rushing to go pick up his daughter from dance class, he didn't inspect the phone closely. He did notice the phone seem to be warped a little when he got into his car, barely noticeable, and chalked it up to bad lighting.

On Saturday afternoon, my friend noticed the screen protector was a coming off near the volume button so he took it out of the case and really inspect it. After 3 days of use, no dropping, just in his front pocket when he goes out, the phone had warped right by the volume button. We took it back to Apple to exchange it and was given a hard time about it.

Per the tech that helped us, this is consider wear and tear/ abuse of the phone. I explain to him that this phone was used for 3 days, there's no marking or scratches on it. We never dropped it. The first time this phone was dropped was when we went in and the Apple employee that checked us in dropped the phone. The tech went on and said this could have happened because my friend sat on his phone. Um... Sorry Apple but a lot of people put their phone in the back pocket. If your phone can't withstand being sit on, you should probably put a disclaimer on your phones. For a small guy who's maybe 140 lbs to sit on the phone and have it bend from that within 3 days? There's a defect on Apple's work, not us abusing the phone.

Needless to say, the tech made it sound like he did us such a huge favor of exchanging the phone. Never had I had such horrible service at Apple. To be accuse of damaging something when it was defective to begin with. I'm ok with the fact that some of the phones might be defective since Apple is trying to make 6 millions of them if not more but don't accuse us of breaking it when it's clearly a problem with Apple not us.

.__. Does the...

touchscreen still work?

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
I never put my phone in my back pocket and sit on it. I would expect it to break and I would consider it my fault. Lots of people drop their phones too, but this doesn't make it Apple's fault.

Then, Apple replaces the phone for free and you come here to complain.

OP, you are a moral hazard to society.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Sorry but is you cannot understand why sitting on a metal phone is bad, you are just not going to understand peoples comments on here.

Complete user error.

----------

Fat guys friend bitches about service "attitude" given in apple store after having the for mentioned phone damaged by fat friend ;)

Guy Mancuso

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
I'm not sure people understand you can carry a iPhone in your pocket. Been doing it a long time and I'm 230 lbs. I carry it in my left rear pocket. Now granted you take some precautions as you usually only have part of the phone actually touching something outside your pocket. Now if I sit on the ground like the sidewalk I take it out as that surface is too hard and yes you could probably bend a phone in those circumstances but a car seat or something soft it never has been a issue. Also think about it your phone never takes the full weight of you since it is on the either side of the center of gravity to your weight. It's either on the left or right of your main weight, so it's not taking on the full pressure of you. Also let's face it your not a hard surface either. We have fat folks lets face facts. LOL

But I do agree if I sat on concrete or a wall or something hard there is no give like a soft car seat. So yes it can be done and a lot of people do it. Frankly it's the only pocket I have available that's free from keys, money, money clips , change all front pocket items and a wallet in the rear.

The key here is to be aware of it and take precautions when you need to. I have had every iPhone and I never cracked or bent one yet , but I admit I'm careful too. Maybe even lucky as well. But if I think damage could occur I do take it out of my pocket, anything can only handle so much force.

Actually I think the front pocket is worse since it is the tighter angle to your pivot of bending over. Think about that. Sit in a chair and lean upriright its more a bend in your pocket there than the roundness of your rear povket

Gincoma

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2013
Lets take a look at the logistics of the scenerio. By the pictures of the cracked glass how would that not be noticable at the time of apply the screen saver. You say it bent overnight or within 3 days and then the screen protector started to come off. How could that possibly be without force playing a factor unless you had a chia pet growing inside the phone and its cracking like a egg.
How could you possibly believe your friend that its just magically bent you got caught up in his hype about it and followed thru with it by posting this mysterious problem on the forums. Physically impossible to bend on its own and get worse over the course of 3 days without force

jpcarro

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2009
On your nine
I don't think your eyes should be on girls (way too tight) back pocket...

No, they shouldn't...but, well you know.

I do wonder how many are broken that way...by forgetting and sitting down. Or pop out of the pocket since the iPhone always seems to be half hanging out.

lunch

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2010
I've sat with my 5S in my back pocket multiple times since launch and this didn't happen. (And I weigh more than 140. Won't say how much more but MORE). Clearly a defective phone. I can't believe they gave you so much flack but I think it's the people taking advantage of the system who make it harder for honest returns.

Logic lesson ... Just because you've sat on your phone and it hasn't bent (yet), doesn't mean it won't bend next time you, or anyone, sits on it.

And yes, the people taking advantage of the system do make it harder for honest returns. And example of "taking advantage" is sitting on your relatively fragile glass and aluminum cell phone and then crying "defective!" when it breaks.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
I see people putting their phones in their back pockets all the time. What a dumb idea. That's what you get!

zipster

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2011
I put my phone in my back pocket all the time... when I'm up and about, but when I sit down, I usually take my phone out anyway, since I'm going to use it...

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
The tech went on and said this could have happened because my friend sat on his phone. Um... Sorry Apple but a lot of people put their phone in the back pocket. If your phone can't withstand being sit on, you should probably put a disclaimer on your phones. For a small guy who's maybe 140 lbs to sit on the phone and have it bend from that within 3 days? There's a defect on Apple's work, not us abusing the phone...

LMAO w/out my cellphone in my back pocket. :p

Common sense goes wooshh through you I bet.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I've sat with my 5S in my back pocket multiple times since launch and this didn't happen. (And I weigh more than 140. Won't say how much more but MORE). Clearly a defective phone. I can't believe they gave you so much flack but I think it's the people taking advantage of the system who make it harder for honest returns.

really, defective?!?! :rolleyes:

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2012
Needless to say, the tech made it sound like he did us such a huge favor of exchanging the phone. Never had I had such horrible service at Apple. To be accuse of damaging something when it was defective to begin with. I'm ok with the fact that some of the phones might be defective since Apple is trying to make 6 millions of them if not more but don't accuse us of breaking it when it's clearly a problem with Apple not us.

Dude. You broke it. He did you a favor for exchanging the phone. Don't sit on your phone.

Impuls3101

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2013
if only it had bent the other way then you would have a nice ergonomic iphone that contours to ur face.

Seriously though some of you need to chill out. Why are you jumping all over OP because he had a bad experience at an Apple store? Maybe his friend lied to him ... someone who can't setup their iphone and install a screen protector might not know that you don't sit on the phone. Mistakes and defects can happen and apple isn't above any of it. Also customer service can suck and its not necessarily a reflection on apple. Apple doesn't need you to defend them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.