Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaykk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
CA
i think iPhone 4-5s is the best design , and easy to hold, both 6 and 6+ is too slippery. The chances of dropping this phone is very high. I never dropped my iPhone 4s or 5s.

I upgraded from 6+ to 6, it is a bit better, not by much. I hope Apple won't forget the 5s crowd when 6s comes along.

mended

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2011
I think all of us long time iPhone users had the same thought of the iPhone 6 was bigger than expected. I know when I first had it in my hands I was like "Gawdamn, this is huge!." I've gotten used to the sheer size already tho. It's not that big of a phone after awhile. Perfect size to be honest for me now after having the phone 3 days now.:apple:

Themacdaddyios

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2014
I've only had my iPhone 6 a day, but I really find it's too big for me. I can't really use it one handed, I have to adjust my grip as I hold it up to my ear, and it generally feels easy to drop. I've switched back to my iPhone 5 and it really is the perfect size for me.

Anyone else feeling the same? I would quite like Apple to release an iPhone 6 in a 4" format. The faster CPU and better camera are all I really want.

I'm selling my iPhone 6 in the marketplace since they are still hard to get a hold of.

You are joking right?:D

abluehaze

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008
I've only had my iPhone 6 a day, but I really find it's too big for me. I can't really use it one handed, I have to adjust my grip as I hold it up to my ear, and it generally feels easy to drop. I've switched back to my iPhone 5 and it really is the perfect size for me.

Anyone else feeling the same? I would quite like Apple to release an iPhone 6 in a 4" format. The faster CPU and better camera are all I really want.

I'm selling my iPhone 6 in the marketplace since they are still hard to get a hold of.

You are far from the only one having this issue. There are many of us that have complained about this and are returning our 6's because of it.

You'll likely get attacked here though for bringing it up and you'll mostly just get people denying it even though unless you're 6"6 or have abnormally oversized hands for your body the entire screen is not reachable with your thumb while using one handed.

This thumb zone image from Mashable demonstrates what I'm talking about.

Mr.Gene

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2011
I love my giant iPhone 6 plus. For me, it's just the perfect size.

Me too. I'm happy with my iPhone 6 plus also. It fits in my hand just fine. Sure it's hard to use it one handed but for personally for me it's not a big problem. I like the bigger screen, and a bigger keyboard.

Themacdaddyios

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2014
The lot complaining about the size of the 6,are you sure you didn't get the 6 plus?.I have an unopened 6 and still holding out incase i get a 6 plus available so i can return my 6 and get a bigger one:D

Themacdaddyios

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2014
I've never understood this train of thought. Why does it matter if it makes your 5 look tiny? Put an obese 300 lb. woman next to your wife/girlfriend and she will look tiny too. Does that mean the obese woman is better?

----------

I doubt it seeing as there have been TONS of threads expressing the same feeling.

Tons of threads expressing the 6 to be too big?,really? in lilliput?.The 6 plus is so light to hold and easy to use that i really don't think a lot of these posts by people saying it's too big or made their writs hurt to be serious:D

accountforit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2014
Tons of threads expressing the 6 to be too big?,really? in lilliput?.The 6 plus is so light to hold and easy to use that i really don't think a lot of these posts by people saying it's too big or made their writs hurt to be serious:D

Just because you choose not to believe something, it doesn't mean it's not true.

lyceumHQ

macrumors 68000
Aug 4, 2010
I'm really torn actually over upgrading.

I have an iPhone 5. I have had it for two years. I'm noted of it and want to upgrade.

But I'm out of options.

I don't like large phones. Having seen it in the flesh the iPhone 6 is far too big for me. So that's out.

So there's the 5s. I already have a 5. The 5s isn't an 'upgrade' and certainly not worth spending almost £500 on when I've already got the 5. It's basically the same phone with a few tweaks. Fair enough if I had a 4/4s I'd see the 5s as an upgrade, but I don't. So the 5s is a no go as I refuse to pay £500 again for a phone that's the same phone I've had for two years.

So as far as staying with apple I am out of options.

I know Apple had to release a larger device as that's what the market wants. But in providing for one market sector it's alienated another. And unfortunately for me, I'm in the alienated sector of the market.

So it looks like I either stick with the 5 or love to android/windows.

Themacdaddyios

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2014
Just because you choose not to believe something, it doesn't mean it's not true.

it is simply not true because it is not supported by facts i.e there aren't tons of threads on here saying the iPhone 6 is too big in fact i could only see one and it was this one hence i chose it because it stood out like a sore thumb lol

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I will not be getting rid of my 6, but other than that I am feeling a kinship with the OP.

It would help if this double-tap thing brought the screen down just another quarter inch. What the point of getting SO close but not quiet far enough?

Basically, I'm just having to get used to the fact that it's not a one-handed phone. Should make subway rides more interesting.

teabonesteak

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
personally, i think the 5/5s is the best for everyday use. but to surf and watch movies, you cant beath the 4.7/5.5. having said that, i guess ill be forced to watch a lot of netflix and youtube.

----------

I will not be getting rid of my 6, but other than that I am feeling a kinship with the OP.

It would help if this double-tap thing brought the screen down just another quarter inch. What the point of getting SO close but not quiet far enough?

Basically, I'm just having to get used to the fact that it's not a one-handed phone. Should make subway rides more interesting.

would have loved the double-tap to shrink the whole screen down to a mini version... in other words, shrink both vertically and horizontally.

jkim3691

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2011
I'm giving my 6 this week to see how I feel about it, but as of now I'm on the side of exchanging it for a 5s. It's just a burden using this thing whereas with my old 5 I could just pull it out, get what I had to get done and slip it right back in my pockets without having to be extra careful and change grips. The size of the 5/5s was perfect. I really felt the phone was an extension of me due to it being so easy to use. I would have loved apple to come out with a 4" version of the 6. It would have been so glorious.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Any of you familiar with a term from operant behavior psychology term called the "extinction burst?" Basically it's the barrier you have to overcome in your mind when you're stopping an old behavior like smoking... or to a much lesser degree giving up a smaller phone. Your resistance to the change builds up to a frenzy at the very point of overcoming it called the extinction burst. Most of the time you don't cross the barrier. You resist it and go back to your old behavior because it's easier, more familiar and doesn't require crossing that barrier.

To wit: you have to give yourself more than a day. Having had a Plus since launch day I can say with all honesty that today, picking up my 5 I can barely tell the difference between it and my old 4S anymore, even though the size difference seemed painfully obvious just three days ago. The vanilla 6 isn't nearly as big a leap in size, so I'd imagine that giving yourself a week or so to overcome your "smaller phone extinction event" would fair. After all, you have 14 days to return it no questions asked.

Anyway, not to try and convince anyone to do anything they don't want to do, but at least consider giving it a fair shot.

wilky76

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2013
Wigan
I've had both the Note 3 and the S5 in the past, and went back to the much smaller screen on the 5S, as a phone it the perfect size for those that don't game or watch movies, having a big phone become a chore after a while.

I find with the 4" screen i have no problem reading things on flipboard or facebook, twitter ect, plus it can fit into any pocket i desire & is pretty discreet when using it out and about in this day & age of being mugged for your smartphone.

Apple should really consider the iPhone mini next year for those that don't want a larger smartphone, make the screen 4" or 4.2" even and give it the same specs as the 6S, and they find it still sell aswell as the larger iPhone's.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I still have an old 3rd generation iPod touch. Feels great in the hand because it's tiny.

However that great feel in the hand comes with dozens of compromises, so pick your poison.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
I've had both the Note 3 and the S5 in the past, and went back to the much smaller screen on the 5S, as a phone it the perfect size for those that don't game or watch movies, having a big phone become a chore after a while.

I don't watch much video on mine either beyond a Vine or two once in a while. I don't game much either. Where the small screen kills me is text entry, especially in landscape where I'm always struggling to see the text box behind the gargantuan keyboard. I also edit a lot of photos on the go, so the increase in screen size is a godsend in that regard.

The 5 has always seemed too small to me. Compromised due to the fact that Apple only increased the height, not the width.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
I find it too large as well. Pissed that Apple screwed all the tons of customers that were perfectly happy with the screen sizes up until now. Why did they have to have 2 models that were BOTH larger than the previous? Makes no sense!

I'm going to hold on to mine to see if it improves, but I'm not happy about it at all.

wilky76

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2013
Wigan
I don't watch much video on mine either beyond a Vine or two once in a while. I don't game much either. Where the small screen kills me is text entry, especially in landscape where I'm always struggling to see the text box behind the gargantuan keyboard. I also edit a lot of photos on the go, so the increase in screen size is a godsend in that regard.

The 5 has always seemed too small to me. Compromised due to the fact that Apple only increased the height, not the width.

Then you obviously have a use for the bigger screen.

I personally don't edit photo's on the phone I upload them to dropbox, then edit them in Photoshop when i get home.

And i never type in landscape mode, never did it on either the Note 3 or the S5.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Then you obviously have a use for the bigger screen.

I personally don't edit photo's on the phone I upload them to dropbox, then edit them in Photoshop when i get home.

And i never type in landscape mode, never did it on either the Note 3 or the S5.

I do most of my editing on my desktop too, but I do cropping and some exposure adjustment on the fly when I'm sharing snapshots. As far as the keyboard goes, I think it's actually worse in portrait. The OS does a horrible job of maintaining focus on the active text.

alexplank

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
You must have small hands. I've been using the iPhone 6+ 5.5 with just one hand most of the time. It's taken a little bit of time to get used to though.

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK

I have an iPhone 5. I have had it for two years. I'm noted of it and want to upgrade.

But I'm out of options.

I don't like large phones. Having seen it in the flesh the iPhone 6 is far too big for me. So that's out.

So there's the 5s. I already have a 5. The 5s isn't an 'upgrade' and certainly not worth spending almost £500 on when I've already got the 5. It's basically the same phone with a few tweaks. Fair enough if I had a 4/4s I'd see the 5s as an upgrade, but I don't. So the 5s is a no go as I refuse to pay £500 again for a phone that's the same phone I've had for two years.

I know Apple had to release a larger device as that's what the market wants. But in providing for one market sector it's alienated another. And unfortunately for me, I'm in the alienated sector of the market.

I'm on the same boat and I guess I must bite the bullet and move to Android since the reality is Apple will never release again smaller devices, they will have the watch for that.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK

But I'm out of options.

5s has better battery than the 5. I know people who upgraded and are still surprised. Touch ID, m7 chip. Its a better iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.