Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TeeRav19

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2015
Houston, TX
No regrets. Not much bulk added and it creates grip for the otherwise slippery iPhone. It does tend to scuff/change color over time, but I personally love the look of aged leather.

HandsomeDanNZ

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2008
Auckland NZ
I've had a black leather case on my iPhone 6 for nearly a year now and don't regret it at all.
Had one on my 5 and didn't regret it either.

Glaxaymixc

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2015
I have bought a black turata leather case for iphone 6, i have no regret. This is a pretty simple case.
81g-rdQN2TL.jpg

CPx

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2013
I've had the black Apple leather case on my 6 since last November. Love it.

The Toddler

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2011
How do you keep these things clean? I've only previously used the Speck Pixelskin HD, which is easy to wash, either with water or alcohol wipes.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
I've had the black leather case on my 6 Plus since this time last year. No regrets at all. Best case I've ever owned. Fits the phone like a glove, looks classy, and has protected the phone from two drops so far. The corner protection offered by the case is just right. There is some wear consisting of scuffs and scrapes, but the black color is still dark and consistent throughout, and rubbing the case with leather conditioner periodically really helps.

I initially balked at the cost of this case, but it has paid off.

gorkt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2007
I have the midnight blue leather case and generally like it. I did get a small chip at the bottom of the phone when I dropped it since it doesn't have the bottom covered, but I still would rather keep the bottom uncovered for convenience sake. I think I may try the red silicone this time for a change since they no longer offer the red leather. I really like the white face/red case combo. Snazzy!

nyfliiboy

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Only regret I have was getting the red one. It basically looks black now. Besides that it has handled many accidental drops well.

ectospheno

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2005
1. It's sturdier, durable, and can handle drops without dining up the case. The leather case is not as durable and dings up on drops as well.

The force of a drop is going somewhere. If it isn't damaging the case then where did it go?

:)

KRG

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2015
San Diego, CA
I've had 3 Apple leather cases...1 iphone 5S case, and 2 iPhone 6 cases. I don't know why I keep buying them, because I hate them. I guess I keep hoping the next would be better. They just don't seem to hold up well. The best so far was the midnight blue, but meh. I like the silicone cases better. I hate cases in general though.

jamespoulsen

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2013
Most people don't seem to realise that the majority of these so called 'leather' cases aren't actually leather but a faux leather which is an imitation leather such as Koskin. Some use a half leather which is a combination of genuine leather and faux leather. Look it up on google, most phone case makers use this faux leather or a combination. Basically you pay for quality genuine leather and rarely can you get it at the prices that these companies are selling their cases for.
You'll find that they don't improve with age as does a quality genuine leather does . There are some nice genuine cases out there but be prepared to pay upwards of $50. I personally use the ikonicedge iPhone covers.

Cogsworth

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2015
Most people don't seem to realise that the majority of these so called 'leather' cases aren't actually leather but a faux leather which is an imitation leather such as Koskin. Some use a half leather which is a combination of genuine leather and faux leather. Look it up on google, most phone case makers use this faux leather or a combination. Basically you pay for quality genuine leather and rarely can you get it at the prices that these companies are selling their cases for.
You'll find that they don't improve with age as does a quality genuine leather does . There are some nice genuine cases out there but be prepared to pay upwards of $50. I personally use the ikonicedge iPhone covers.

Not sure if you're referring to Apple leather cases which are definitely genuine leather, not Koskin. The official description states: "These Apple-designed cases are made from specially tanned and finished European leather for a luxurious feel and are precision crafted by the same designers who create iPhone." Plus, the Saddle 6S case I picked up yesterday has the genuine leather mark on the inside. I'm pretty sure Apple's not using faux leather.

ultravisitor

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2015
Chicago, IL

The Shinola leather cases are nice, and they're made in the USA from Horween leather. They're $95, though, and I'm not sure if I should purchase one given that I always end up going naked.

GnrlyMrly

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I just returned my iPhone 6 Apple Leather Case in Olive Brown after less than a day on my phone. The case just has a cheap feel to it and you can tell that it is not going to age very well. I was going to simply return it and go with a naked 6, but the new 6S cases were in so I picked up one of the silicone cases. I'll report back after a couple of days!

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
The Shinola leather cases are nice, and they're made in the USA from Horween leather. They're $95, though, and I'm not sure if I should purchase one given that I always end up going naked.
I thought about getting one of these for my 6 a few months ago, but they didn't have the color I wanted in stock at the Detroit store. I went ahead and ordered a saddle brown apple case, but might give them another chance if I don't like it.

Will22

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011

I sure that Apple use real leather in their cases but it is worked so much to make it so thin that it doesn't feel much like real leather. Leather cream/conditioner does help a lot with the feel of it though. I wasn't sure it was real leather either because I'm used to real leather that hasn't been worked to within an inch of its life.

jamespoulsen

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2013

This is a very old 2011 thread that you have posted here. They inadvertently only shipped around 20 that were the wrong size and they resolved the issue immediately. I purchased one of these covers at the time and emailed Ikonic Edge after reading about it here. I received mine two weeks later and it was a perfect hugging fit and I still buy them to this day as they only use genuine New Zealand leather.

I agree with GnarleyMarley, Apple's own leather covers do feel cheap... because they are. I can assure everyone they are NOT genuine leather as I have seen them and I know what genuine leather feels, looks and smells like. They would use a Faux or mixed half leather at best. Every case maker under the sun calls their so called leather 'genuine leather'. Take a look on Alibaba... Genuine leather is stated everywhere . For $10 too :)) Believe me quality leather does not come so cheap. Also with genuine leather it is very difficult to have it so well molded to fit around small intricate fixtures such as buttons and headphone sockets. A synthetic mix is required for this which is why most vendors use a leather looking vinyl which is essentially faux leather. Its terrible that these companies can get away using the word genuine leather , but it is rife in the consumer manufacturing electronics industry. Don't be fooled, trust me.

marc55

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
This is a very old 2011 thread that you have posted here. They inadvertently only shipped around 20 that were the wrong size and they resolved the issue immediately. I purchased one of these covers at the time and emailed Ikonic Edge after reading about it here. I received mine two weeks later and it was a perfect hugging fit and I still buy them to this day as they only use genuine New Zealand leather.

I agree with GnarleyMarley, Apple's own leather covers do feel cheap... because they are. I can assure everyone they are NOT genuine leather as I have seen them and I know what genuine leather feels, looks and smells like. They would use a Faux or mixed half leather at best. Every case maker under the sun calls their so called leather 'genuine leather'. Take a look on Alibaba... Genuine leather is stated everywhere . For $10 too :)) Believe me quality leather does not come so cheap. Also with genuine leather it is very difficult to have it so well molded to fit around small intricate fixtures such as buttons and headphone sockets. A synthetic mix is required for this which is why most vendors use a leather looking vinyl which is essentially faux leather. Its terrible that these companies can get away using the word genuine leather , but it is rife in the consumer manufacturing electronics industry. Don't be fooled, trust me.

Since you note "I can assure everyone they are NOT genuine leather as I have seen them and I know what genuine leather feels, looks and smells like."

It's easy to come on a forum and fault a product, but I would like some real assurance, other than your feel and smell, that they are not leather.

Cogsworth

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2015
Since you note "I can assure everyone they are NOT genuine leather as I have seen them and I know what genuine leather feels, looks and smells like."

It's easy to come on a forum and fault a product, but I would like some real assurance, other than your feel and smell, that they are not leather.

Agreed.

I'm sure a lot of the overseas vendors on Alibaba or ebay may be lying about their leather, but Apple certainly has much higher standards and a reputation to protect. I believe Apple uses thinner leather for a number of reasons, mostly to reduce bulk and weight to create a slim-profile case. This may feel "cheap" to some but it is still genuine leather.

Unless someone can produce evidence other than "feel, look and smell" I'm going to believe Apple on this one. I have plenty of experience with quality leather myself and my new Saddle 6s+ case sure smells real to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.