Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
I still don't understand why you need to phones. .9 of an inch doesn't make the phone thattttt much bigger to compare it to an iPad that is 8" or 10". Do you need to always be doing something for work or something? I've never had to use two phones at once.

Never said that I needed two phones. I said I needed two devices, an iPhone and a tablet. I need the tablet because my eyes are getting old and like bigger print (hate wearing gasses, that's why I got vision correction 20 yr ago).

Right now I'm trying to decide if that combo would be an iPhone 6 and my iPad Mini retina, or using the 6+ in place of the iPad mini retina while still keeping the 6 for my one handed phone stuff.

Or I could ditch the 4.7" altogether and combine the 6+ with either my iPad mini Retina or my iPad Air (yes I have them all but only want to be mobil with two of them). But I really do find the 6+ to be a little too big for one handed operation, which is a problem when I'm walking with a cane due to chronic tendonitis and fibromyalgia.

It's nice to be able to make a phone call while taking notes, updating contacts or calendars, or surfing the web. I prefer speakerphone so I could do everything with just the 6+ on speaker, but that's not always appropriate in public. And I hate walking around with a headset all the time just in case I get a call while using the 6+ as a tablet.

I didn't post all this before because I didn't think people would care, or guessed that it would be boring.

----------

PS: I'm using the 6+ right now as a tablet while I get a four wheel alignment at the Subaru dealership. I've spent a hour and 10 minutes surfing the web and hour and 30 minutes of total use out of two hours unplugged, to get it down to 89%.

That's about 20% less total battery life than I'd get with my iPad, and I could quickly kill the battery and not be able to take calls. Having two devices means not worrying about a dead phone.

Logic says the best combo for me is the smaller phone (6) for one handed use as a phone, and largest tablet (Air) for best readability. But I can pocket an iPad mini retina, or get by for a few hours with only the 6+. Thus I am confused about what I want. But that's for me to solve.

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Based on my being at 50% right now, I'm still on track to get almost 11 hours of use during a 16 hour day.

Attachments

• IMG_6373.PNG
    IMG_6373.PNG
    231.6 KB · Views: 102

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Never said that I needed two phones. I said I needed two devices, an iPhone and a tablet. I need the tablet because my eyes are getting old and like bigger print (hate wearing gasses, that's why I got vision correction 20 yr ago).

Right now I'm trying to decide if that combo would be an iPhone 6 and my iPad Mini retina, or using the 6+ in place of the iPad mini retina while still keeping the 6 for my one handed phone stuff.

Or I could ditch the 4.7" altogether and combine the 6+ with either my iPad mini Retina or my iPad Air (yes I have them all but only want to be mobil with two of them). But I really do find the 6+ to be a little too big for one handed operation, which is a problem when I'm walking with a cane due to chronic tendonitis and fibromyalgia.

It's nice to be able to make a phone call while taking notes, updating contacts or calendars, or surfing the web. I prefer speakerphone so I could do everything with just the 6+ on speaker, but that's not always appropriate in public. And I hate walking around with a headset all the time just in case I get a call while using the 6+ as a tablet.

I didn't post all this before because I didn't think people would care, or guessed that it would be boring.

----------

PS: I'm using the 6+ right now as a tablet while I get a four wheel alignment at the Subaru dealership. I've spent a hour and 10 minutes surfing the web and hour and 30 minutes of total use out of two hours unplugged, to get it down to 89%.

That's about 20% less total battery life than I'd get with my iPad, and I could quickly kill the battery and not be able to take calls. Having two devices means not worrying about a dead phone.

Logic says the best combo for me is the smaller phone (6) for one handed use as a phone, and largest tablet (Air) for best readability. But I can pocket an iPad mini retina, or get by for a few hours with only the 6+. Thus I am confused about what I want. But that's for me to solve.

ahh i see. i just imaged most of the complainers about the size of the plus and thought it might be the case with you. If you need an extra device and can afford it by all means. I just don't feel like the plus is really that big and i don't expect it to work one handed well because well its a full size phone. I skipped the normal 6 i wanted something more substantial as far as screen size. Couldn't be happier with the plus and i can use it a lot one handed. Can always get some bluetooth headphones or cable headphones with a mic for phone calls if you don't want to pull the phone out. i was walking all over campus today with it up to my face and dont think it looks out of place.
I think apples move to this size of phone in a year or two large phones will be normal and people won't look at them as huge monsters anymore. The battery life on the plus is great. coming from my iPhone 5 of 4-5hrs max its a huge upgrade all around.

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
ahh i see. i just imaged most of the complainers about the size of the plus and thought it might be the case with you. If you need an extra device and can afford it by all means. I just don't feel like the plus is really that big and i don't expect it to work one handed well because well its a full size phone. I skipped the normal 6 i wanted something more substantial as far as screen size. Couldn't be happier with the plus and i can use it a lot one handed. Can always get some bluetooth headphones or cable headphones with a mic for phone calls if you don't want to pull the phone out. i was walking all over campus today with it up to my face and dont think it looks out of place.
I think apples move to this size of phone in a year or two large phones will be normal and people won't look at them as huge monsters anymore. The battery life on the plus is great. coming from my iPhone 5 of 4-5hrs max its a huge upgrade all around.

One thing that would make it easier for me to use the 6+ one-handed would be if Reachability worked by using a "tap, hold, and drag the screen down" instead of double clicking on the home button. That would clinch the decision for me I think.

Right now, after finding a comfortable position in my hand for my fingers to reach the screen, I still have to shift my grip to double tap the home button - and that makes the 6+ gets wobbly in my hand such that it might fall.

I'd really like the 6+ to be my one favorite, because I want the OIS, the larger battery, the easier to read screen, and the 1920x1080p resolution. (Although the OIS is most important to me since I have an iPad mini retina to give me the rest of what I want.)

As for BATTERY LIFE:

I have more than 6 hours of use in a 12+ hour day so far, and only down to 41%. I haven't used ANY iDevice today except for the 6+. I'm projecting to hit about 10 hours usage over a 20 hour period off the charger at this rate.

I was expecting about 20% better performance here - I have been restraining my use a little bit during the day, so as to not kill the phone which could make me miss phone calls. So, I might have spent another 1-2 hours on the web today, and watched about an hour of podcasts or youtube by now. That would have taken me closer to 1%, but I did those things on my Macbook for the past 3 hours instead.

Now I will try those things since I'm home for good and not going back out again today, so we'll see how fast it goes down with web and videos and the screen at 30%. But with my phone only fetching mail 1x per hour instead of push + check 15 minutes, and Facebook set to not look at location or update in the background, I haven't seen much effect on battery life to get me to last 12 hours or more of usage.

Attachments

• IMG_6375.PNG
    IMG_6375.PNG
    225.6 KB · Views: 93

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I ran mine down to 2% today.

Usage 10 hours 22 minutes
Standby 1 day 18 hours

Moderate usage. Day and 3/4. Not too shabby.

MacTechnics

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2014
This is pretty amazing to me. Basically a little more than 2 days to completely drain the battery. It stayed on 1% for almost an hour. Love the 6+.

Attachments

• image1.PNG
    image1.PNG
    220 KB · Views: 108

ayobonus

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2008
Anyone here turn off the battery percentage? I've been using the battery percentage indicator since it became available (I don't remember what version of iOS introduced this), but I decided to turn off the percentage so I don't worry about it. I still turn on my phone and look at the battery to see what percentage I'm at but I always forget that I turned it off. I'm so tempted to turn it back on, but I don't want to worry about it and just use my phone without having to look at the battery percentage every two minutes :rolleyes:

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I just keep mine on and it doesn't bug me. I plug it in every night before I go to sleep, regardless of where the battery level is. typically around 70-80%.

shaferz

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2014
I just keep mine on and it doesn't bug me. I plug it in every night before I go to sleep, regardless of where the battery level is. typically around 70-80%.

THIS.

I let mine go for a full 24 hours when I first got it, but beyond that... I just plug it in before I go to bed. Its nice not having to worry about my phone croaking throughout the day.

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
I couldn't stay up late enough to drain it to 1% last night, and I needed it fully charged for the day today.

So I ran down to 13% after 10 hours of use, and over 17 hours off the charger. So, another person could unplug at 6AM and still have 13% at 11PM that night (my start/end times are way off a normal person's day).

I have Mail checking 10 accounts once an hour, and Dropbox uploading photos in the background when on wifi. I didn't touch my iPads or iPhone 6 at all, and did everything on the 6+ (including Facebook and web forums via Safari).

Attachments

• IMG_6385.PNG
    IMG_6385.PNG
    232.4 KB · Views: 81

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Thus I am confused about what I want. But that's for me to solve.

I have the 6+, a Retina Mini (which if I had the 6+ first I may go for the Air but I do like the smaller size for ease of carrying), a MacBook Air 13", and a 27" iMac. If I'm at home, I'm on the iMac or my 6+. I've always preferred a desktop. I only got the Air in 2012 when I decided to go back to school for a graduate degree and needed the mobility. Truth is the Retina Mini doesn't get that much use, even when I had my iPhone 5, because it was always easier to grab my phone than to grab the Mini. I also never remembered to keep it charged.

I really like the 6+ and am getting over the large size and fact that I can't easily do everything walking down the street with one hand. I've always preferred a corded headset around the house for being handsfree and Yosemite will mean I can take calls through the iMac or MacBook Air. I also will probably pick up a Bluetooth headset for calls out and about so that I don't have to talk into my Phablet or untangle a corded headset. But the truth is after having the 6+ and going back to the store during my 14 day return period, the 6 Plus just seemed too small. I like the screen real estate. Why is why I always gravitate to the 27" iMac when I can.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Ten hours of usage and lasting two days are two different things. If you are getting ten hours of usage in a single day I would say you're too teir power user. That's more hours of ohone use than the average American works in a day.

Just adding my two cents, of course. I've seen some screenshots of around ten hours of use with a standby of over two days. As has always been the case, usage is what matters most.

jkel777

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2014
My battery life on the 6 Plus has been fantastic. Today, I took it off the charger around 9:30 AM, and now at 9:10 PM, I'm at 84%. Granted, today was a very light usage day (roughly 2 and a half hours of usage with close to 12 hours of standby). Even when I've used it fairy heavily, I've only managed to get it down to around 20% before I went to bed around midnight. In short, I've seen nothing but great battery life on my 6 Plus.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Pretty typical usage day for me. Phone was off the charger at 6:00 a.m. and hasn't been back on since. I've been very happy so far with the 6 Plus battery life. But now my iPhone 5s would've been ready to die out.

Attachments

• 2014-10-09 00.59.02.png
    2014-10-09 00.59.02.png
    234.3 KB · Views: 126

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I ran mine down to again today.
Screenshot from when it hit 2%.

attachment.php

Ran it a bit longer to 1%.

Usage went to 13 hours 27 min
Standby 2 days 0 hours

Ran it down a few days ago to 2% as well.
Didn't quite get the usage out of it that time as this time.

Usage 10 hours 22 minutes
Standby 1 day 18 hours

Attachments

• IMG_2351.jpg
    IMG_2351.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 1,506

questionmark32

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2013
I'll send a picture later.

This is the best smartphone I've ever had in terms of battery life. I've been able to go over 24 hours without charging it and now I feel comfortable not taking my charger with me every single place I go.

respectabilia

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2010
Well, actually I did put this giant piece of "toast" up to my ear, and I even posted this > "I also used the 6 to take notes during some phone calls that I made with the 6+" :p

My main thing is that I often need to use two devices simultaneously, where I may be holding the phone to my ear with one device, and using the other device for taking notes or surfing the web, or to get info from contacts and pdf files, etc. It makes more sense to have the 6 on my ear and the 6+ being used as an iPad.

This also helps me spread out my battery usage, because otherwise I can drain any iPhone by 5-6PM and I want it to last until 2-3AM.

You could uses headphones while you talk and take notes?

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
You could uses headphones while you talk and take notes?

See my previous posts.

It's not always convenient to pull out headphones or a headset out when I need to talk and see the screen at the same time. If I wear the headphones with mic all the time for "just in case" then the cords almost always get in the way and get yanked out.

And often BT earpieces are uncomfortable and hurt. Plus frequently I can't feel the phone vibrate in loose pants. So, if I have the phone connected to a blue tooth headset that is also in my pocket (due to discomfort), then the ringer plays through the BT headset & I miss the incoming calls.

bgro

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2010
South Florida
I'm getting about 14 hours total with everything on (Bluetooth wifi) etc. the few times I've checked I beleive it was like 8 hours of screen time with oh I thought was very good. But I usually take off harder around 6:30am and its dead by around 8 or 9 which I'm VERY happy with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.