iPhone 6 Plus Reportedly Accounting for 60% of Total iPhone 6 Device Shipments

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 3, 2014.

1. zoonyx macrumors 6502

Probably a lot less than you might think. Always remember macrumors is not a batch of 'normal' customers. Most people got an iPhone because they liked it, not because they had investigated a 'sweet spot' size beforehand and it just happened to be the size of an iPhone.

I, like many others, happily had a 3.5" iPhone, but things move on, things change. I'm happy with a plus now. But who's to say in a few years I'll want something smaller again, or bigger still?

Things. Change.

2. MacDarcy macrumors 65816

About the so called bendgate? Comedian Bill Maher summed it up best. http://instagram.com/p/r9dsJAwYTb/

3. Trapezoid macrumors 65816

Trapezoid

Noooo I'm talking about the one where 9 out of 10,000,000 customers have complained. 99.99991% success rate pshhh...does apple do any quality control anymore??

4. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

IPhone 5S still is a good product not far from the iPhone 6, performance wise.

5. saab9573 macrumors 6502

saab9573

0,00030% of sold iPhones have bent due to user malfunction....

deal with it!

6. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

I thought last week they said that the 6 was outselling the Plus?

7. samcraig macrumors P6

FYI - I have no problem with people changing their minds. I did it with the original iPad. I do however think people should also have enough integrity to admit when they were wrong (if and when they are.) In fact, I have great respect for those that have posted that they were wrong about larger phones and that they really like the new iPhone and the larger size.

Once you state an opinion, you don't have to maintain it forever - or even in the same thread. But at least own it.

8. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

He was sarcastic ;)

9. saab9573 macrumors 6502

saab9573

100'thousand complaints would make 1% of sold iPhones...

1% it's a laughable figure.....deal with it!

10. BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

I don't think size on it's own is what makes a device gorgeous.

11. kazmac macrumors 604

kazmac

This really does not surprise me...

Lots of folks want one mobile device and the plus meets that demand for that base.

The price of the 6 phones (both sizes) is tough, but Apple has always charged a premium for portability. All that said, I am glad Apple are finally offering folks a choice in phone sizes.

12. rdlink macrumors 68040

rdlink

Scratching my head over this (As in I don't believe it).

I work in an organization where we allow BYOD. We have approximately 800 iOS devices registered to our MDM server. 534 of those are iPhones. 46 of those iPhones are iPhone 6. Of those iPhone 6, 7 of them are Plus. And I know of at least one of those 7 who is returning their Plus for a 4.7" iPhone 6.

I find it hard to believe that our environment is that different than the market as a whole. Unless most of those 6 Plus sales have been outside of the US.

13. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

There's absolutely no question that the regular 6 is outselling the Plus overall. The issue is that supplies of the Plus are severely constrained, to the point that many people who preordered them the moment they went on sale still don't have a device (at least from AT&T). I finally cancelled my AT&T preorder and found one in an Apple Store. So Apple is playing catchup with demand here, as they should be.

14. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

Interesting to know. Thought the 6 would dominate.

15. samcraig macrumors P6

You know as well as I do - that it's likely more than 9. Whether it constitutes the media attention is another matter but we live in a sensationalist world and Apple is definitely under a large media microscope.

At the end of the day - devices are not infallible. Things sometimes get through QA because QA isn't perfect either. It's entirely possible that X number of phones easily bend. That doesn't make it a non-issue for those unfortunate enough to experience it with their device.

16. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

No. It doesn't bend in people's pocket unless you are not going to sit on it.
    And if you take a seat on a 6mm thick piece of glass and aluminum, well, you are not so smart.

17. Trapezoid macrumors 65816

Trapezoid

100% agreed. The problem which I see here though is people say apple users change their minds constantly without providing evidence of it and that they do it because apple told them what's best. Heck, if anyone can provide evidence of the sheeplike flip flopping, I'd say that would be good for a laugh.

Problem is it doesn't happen, and if it does not remotely nearly enough to be anything worth mentioning. Shrug.

18. samcraig macrumors P6

I didn't say it did. I said because it's Apple and because of iOS...

19. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I have yet to see a single proof of someone bending his iPhone in the front pocket during normal usage.
    All you can see in those ridiculous videos are people pulling and pushing the iPhone with both hands, applying full force to a single spot of the phone.

20. samcraig macrumors P6

On the flip side - there are enough posters on here who do, in fact, regurgitate press releases and quotes in defense of Apple instead of thinking for themselves or doing their own research. Quoting Apple on why 3.5/4" is the best size when arguing against the larger phones from other manufacturer isn't really valid. Stating your own personal use case and why, after trying to use a larger phone, you didn't enjoy it is much more valid.

21. Trapezoid macrumors 65816

Trapezoid

Yeah its most probably more than nine. But it would take 1 million for apple to even have a 10% failure rate.

You and I both know its not remotely close to that because apple wouldn't even be able to keep a 1% failure rate (100,000) under wraps.

22. PatriotInvasion macrumors 68000

PatriotInvasion

We've all wanted a choice in iPhone screen size for so long and now that we have that choice many people want to make it some sort of competition between the two sizes. I keep hearing people trying to disparage someone else's choice or coming up with some sort of explanation to justify why they made the choice they made. I say choose the size that works best for you and your workflow and be happy with it. Don't look back.

23. Mackinjosh Suspended

It's good to see foldable phones making a comeback.

24. Trapezoid macrumors 65816

Trapezoid

Agreed. I'm not in the business of denying the facts

I will always call out things that are said without evidence though!

25. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

It takes half a brain to notice that the iPhone bent by Consumer Report is bent exactly in that point, even if the force was applied in the middle.

[​IMG]

So their test is more than valid.