Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rob198612

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2014
Miami
I want to get the rose gold iPhone 6S, and I'm a guy. Any thoughts?

I like the color but I bought it for my wife this year I want to see how it looks in person before I make up my mind on it.

I always sport the space grey

invisibleshoes

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
Come to think of it, the color is basically peach. This photo comes pretty close.
6666427a6c5361932223e61ed6e287c2.jpg

Reactions: caligurl

dsquared81

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2010
Orange County
Saw the sport watch in RG and love it. Different lighting conditions angles etc make it look like a pale pink or peach like the picture above. Love it and can't wait for mine to come in on the 25th

CarboysDesire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
Las Vegas
I don't care if it's pink, copper, or whatever...I just don't like it. My friend who is a girly-girl is all ga-ga over it and must have one, but I'm still not convinced. I opted for gold--and truth be told it took me about a year to come around to liking that color. I think it's the non-gold trim that bugs me about it--to me it would be better if it were all gold.

Anyway, boy, girl, man, woman...get what you like. Who cares what anyone else thinks?

Reactions: geoff5093

danilko1

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2010
WTH:

Look at the photos on Apple's website. It may say Rose Gold, but it's Copper my friends, Full Metal Jacket - Copper. The same stuff used to make manly things with. You work with copper if you are a plumber. Man bracelets are made of - copper... So I think all of you who are saying it's for girls, are wrong. :)

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
WTH:

Look at the photos on Apple's website. It may say Rose Gold, but it's Copper my friends, Full Metal Jacket - Copper. The same stuff used to make manly things with. You work with copper if you are a plumber. Man bracelets are made of - copper... So I think all of you who are saying it's for girls, are wrong. :)

Have you actually seen it in person? It doesn't look copper on the AW so why should it be any different?

omarz9797

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2015
Have you actually seen it in person? It doesn't look copper on the AW so why should it be any different?

I ordered it, worst case if u hate it u can swap it within a few days for the same iPhone just different colour ^-^. I just got it to see whether ill like the colour or not, might end up keeping it, like i said if i dislike it, no problem really.

Boardiesboi

macrumors 601
Sep 3, 2013
Sydney Australia
Loving the rose gold, especially in the review videos on youtube. I think the rendered photos on Apple's website don't really match the actual colour. Even the rose gold aluminium apple watch in store doesn't look that pink...

Anyway mine is gonna stay in a phone case as i can't bear the trauma of dropping my naked iPhone 6 on the bathroom tiles again...

danilko1

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2010

Do you have a calibrated display? I do, 15" rMBP Mid 2014. Additionally I have worked with polished copper, including plumbing, and other sources. They are very similar...

Rose gold is a gold and copper alloy widely used for specialized jewelry. Rose gold, also known as pink gold and red gold, was popular in Russia at the beginning of the nineteenth century, and was also known as Russian gold although this term is now obsolete. Rose gold jewelry is becoming more popular in the 21st century and is commonly used for wedding rings, bracelets, and other jewelry.

Although the names are often used interchangeably, the difference between red, rose, and pink gold is the copper content: the higher the copper content, the stronger the red coloration. Pink gold uses the least copper, followed by rose gold, with red gold having the highest copper content. Examples of the common alloys for 18K rose gold, 18K red gold, and 18K pink gold:
  • 18K Red gold: 75% gold, 25% copper
  • 18K Rose gold: 75% gold, 22.25% copper, 2.75% silver
  • 18K Pink gold: 75% gold, 20% copper, 5% silver
  • 12K Red gold: 50% gold and 50% copper.[3]
Up to 15% zinc can be added to copper-rich alloys to change their color to reddish yellow or dark yellow.[2]

During ancient times, due to impurities in the smelting process, gold frequently turned a reddish color. This is why many Greco-Roman texts, and even many texts from the Middle Ages, describe gold as "red".[citation needed]

Rose Gold is on the left, Copper is on the right. What Apple calls Rose Gold, especially in anodized aluminum, looks a lot more like copper than traditional rose gold.
t-With-copper.jpg

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Do you have a calibrated display? I do, 15" rMBP Mid 2014. Additionally I have worked with polished copper, including plumbing, and other sources. They are very similar...

Rose gold is a gold and copper alloy widely used for specialized jewelry. Rose gold, also known as pink gold and red gold, was popular in Russia at the beginning of the nineteenth century, and was also known as Russian gold although this term is now obsolete. Rose gold jewelry is becoming more popular in the 21st century and is commonly used for wedding rings, bracelets, and other jewelry.

Although the names are often used interchangeably, the difference between red, rose, and pink gold is the copper content: the higher the copper content, the stronger the red coloration. Pink gold uses the least copper, followed by rose gold, with red gold having the highest copper content. Examples of the common alloys for 18K rose gold, 18K red gold, and 18K pink gold:
  • 18K Red gold: 75% gold, 25% copper
  • 18K Rose gold: 75% gold, 22.25% copper, 2.75% silver
  • 18K Pink gold: 75% gold, 20% copper, 5% silver
  • 12K Red gold: 50% gold and 50% copper.[3]
Up to 15% zinc can be added to copper-rich alloys to change their color to reddish yellow or dark yellow.[2]

During ancient times, due to impurities in the smelting process, gold frequently turned a reddish color. This is why many Greco-Roman texts, and even many texts from the Middle Ages, describe gold as "red".[citation needed]

Rose Gold is on the left, Copper is on the right. What Apple calls Rose Gold, especially in anodized aluminum, looks a lot more like copper than traditional rose gold.
t-With-copper.jpg

You're confusing artificial rose gold-colored anodized aluminum with real rose gold. I've seen the rose gold Apple Watch in person and it looks nothing like the rose gold Edition. It's rather pink compared to the much more subtle real rose gold.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
yes.

the black apple watch is darker than the black iPhone

That's not necessarily indicative of it being any different. A better question is, is the gold Apple Watch any different from gold iPhone? They're both currently out on display for anyone to compare, and some members have already obtained the gold AW.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Been rocking a white iPhone for 4 years (4s, the 5s), now intending to get the black version.

It's interesting that the gold and rose gold phones were claimed to have been created for Asian markets. I am Asian myself and I personally hate those colours (or at least find them gaudy and distasteful), but I can see how the Rose Gold colour would appeal to women (not just Asian women).

I am not saying that my tastes are indicative of the overall Asian market, just saying that these colours seem generic enough to appeal to anyone, regardless of race or region.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
That's not necessarily indicative of it being any different. A better question is, is the gold Apple Watch any different from gold iPhone? They're both currently out on display for anyone to compare, and some members have already obtained the gold AW.

Given the AW space grey is different to the iPhone space grey, how is that not indicative.?

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
We will see once the units are released. They really should be all the same colour....

We already know the Space Gray iPhone is not as dark as the Space Gray AW and the Gold iPhone is same color as the Gold AW Sport. Based on photos, there's no reason to expect the Rose Gold iPhone to be any different from the Rose Gold AW Sport. The gold and rose gold AW are currently on display at Apple Stores for anyone to check out, and are already in some members' hands.

Reactions: Bako-MacAddict

doxielover

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2011
CA
I ordered it, worst case if u hate it u can swap it within a few days for the same iPhone just different colour ^-^. I just got it to see whether ill like the colour or not, might end up keeping it, like i said if i dislike it, no problem really.

A women will buy it from you.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
We already know the Space Gray iPhone is not as dark as the Space Gray AW and the Gold iPhone is same color as the Gold AW Sport. Based on photos, there's no reason to expect the Rose Gold iPhone to be any different from the Rose Gold AW Sport. The gold and rose gold AW are currently on display at Apple Stores for anyone to check out, and are already in some members' hands.

Cool will a look this week in store

doxielover

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2011
CA
Here is a good video of unboxing of the new rose. gold aluminum watch. This will be the exact color of the phone. He does great reviews of apple products. I saw it at the Apple Store so this is the accurate color. Looks more pink than copper.

Reactions: KRG
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.