Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
For the umpteenth time, stop referring to Ming-Chi Kuo as a male. She is a woman.

Somebody needs to tell this guy here to stop pretending, then.

IMG_0196.JPG

Larry-K

macrumors 68000
Jun 28, 2011
This is why a lot of Americans are in debt. Everyone that "liked" this comment, how many of you have everything paid off? Like my 1.6 million home, 20 watches each costing $20,000 and up, just brought 2 BMW last month paid off. Yes I really could buy that $50,000,000 latest yacht but it's stupid cus i already got 1 already, yes it's 5 years old but it's paid off. I feel so bad for everyone just showing off that they can buy this phone but yet it's through monthly payments through your carrier. And yes the yacht cost more than the house but who cares. It's all paid off. Do I go show off and say, because we can. Only little kids do this.
$1.6 Million Home? That's a 2BR with a 1 car garage around here. You must have the yacht as your primary residence, but you must tell us how much you pay a month for slip fees, far more than an iphone, I would suppose.

Why do you need 20 watches? Is there a history of hoarders in your family?

As for people showing off that they can buy a phone, I doubt anybody is all that impressed, it's a phone. It'll be laying in a drawer with a dead battery and a cracked screen in 3 years, no matter how High-Tech it is tomorrow.

By the way, I'm a good American with No Debt. If you can't afford it, you can't afford it plus interest.

Reactions: sp3k0psv3t

ValO

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2012
My 6 only has 1gig?

Yes, it does.

6s has 2gb.
It would explain tour reloads.
But it also explains why you think 2gb isn' t enough.
By your comments, it seems that 2gb will be plenty, and 3gb will be overkill for safari.

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
I don't know about you, but I am not a fan of dongles. Never been, never will be. They are easily lost...
A dongle will simply remain attached to your wired headphones cord - - losing the dongle means that you've lost the entire set of headphones.
I have more than one set of headphones - depending on the listening situation. I do not use my headphones solely with my iPhone. I have two little sons who are curious and may find that thing on the table and place it somewhere else. It is still an inconvenience. You can put up with it. I have made my choice. I will buy a 6s Plus and hope Apple management comes to its senses by 2017 or 2018 at the latest.
You're going to buy a year old iPhone because your children interfere with your expensive tech equipment? I think I might invest in a lock box or a parenting book before I spent a lot of money on last year's iPhone right at the time the new iPhone is launching. This is such a sad story. :(

Reactions: hovercroft

daymouse

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2013
Just reading you lot talking about safari tabs refreshing and 2gb not being enough to stop this. Thought i would test mine and everyone refeshes!

Mind this is an ip6 and i counted theres 35 tabs open! :D

d0nK

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2011
UK
No they're not. Apple doesn't go backwards, they set the trend forwards.
But this is a step backwards to the early 2000's where phones all had their own proprietary headphone/audio connectors that were badly unreliable. Dongles are nasty things, compared to a neat self-contained solution, for a device that is so mobile as a mobile phone (I take mine out and plug it in to my car sound system, plug it in to the mixing desk at a local studio, plug it in to a portable speaker when in the garden, plug it in to many different things). Soon Apple will sell us a battery with which we have to buy a display dongle, an audio dongle, a photo/video dongle and a storage dongle.

Last edited:

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2008
Okay I agree there aren't researches or articles talking about how digital output for audio is going to win analog audio output. But honestly speaking, if you are gonna talk about how analog audio sounds "warmer" and how digital sounds "clinical and cold", it's all just perception and personal preference.

I didn't define the sound qualities of digital vs analog audio. You did. You didn't hear me say analog sounds "warmer" or digital sound is "clinical and cold". I was simply responding to your claim that digital has better audio quality is better than analog audio quality. This is is a subjective statement that probably can't be proven: Hence you can not use sound quality as justification for removing the analog headphone jack in favor of the digital lightning port.

And I think the main point here isn't about audio quality (or lack thereof) but additional functionalities that a digital interface would bring. But then again, there aren't articles proving that analog output is better than digital output too. If going digital for audio output is bad, then why did Toshiba developed the TOSLINK? Admittedly it didn't take off. And want to know how going digital is helpful? If you want all the hi-def surround sound shenanigans from THX or Dolby, you need HDMI to help transport the audio output, which is digital...

I agree that digital is more flexible, and I actually prefer it for signal transport and manipulation. I never said otherwise.

Toslink is based on a Sony / Philips standard, and was very popular before DVI then HDMI came along. You can actually thank the copyright holders for the HDMI standard, for taking off, as it castrated "stealing" content by supporting HDCP.

And your post about having to develop a new interface and launching it and that's considered moving the world forwards? But as a few here have pointed out, it's pretty obvious Apple's idea of moving forwards is going wireless? At least for the interim until a new, universal, all-digital and open standard is developed for audio output. Or until Bluetooth audio can stream such high quality audio that it blows wires out of the water entirely.

I believe that you are referring to a post I made in response to someone (maybe you - not sure) that said removing the analog jack, and "replacing" it with the lightning port was moving the world forward. My response was that removing a port is not moving the world forward.

Creating, gathering industry support, and backing a standard is moving the world forward. IMO...

Until conventional speakers/drivers, as we know them, are replaced with some other technology, Bluetooth, or ay other wireless technology, will never "surpass" analog. As you know, it's always analog at the last point in the chain (the speaker). Or maybe I missed your point? Did you mean wireless is more convenient that wired setups? If so I agree.

hovercroft

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2016
$1.6 Million Home? That's a 2BR with a 1 car garage around here. You must have the yacht as your primary residence, but you must tell us how much you pay a month for slip fees, far more than an iphone, I would suppose.

Why do you need 20 watches? Is there a history of hoarders in your family?

As for people showing off that they can buy a phone, I doubt anybody is all that impressed, it's a phone. It'll be laying in a drawer with a dead battery and a cracked screen in 3 years, no matter how High-Tech it is tomorrow.

By the way, I'm a good American with No Debt. If you can't afford it, you can't afford it plus interest.

I was wondering when someone was going to pull him up on his bs. He really went OTT on the i'm so rich I can afford anything in the world but I don't want to speech.

Qbnkelt

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2015
Mid-Atlantic
This is why a lot of Americans are in debt. Everyone that "liked" this comment, how many of you have everything paid off? Like my 1.6 million home, 20 watches each costing $20,000 and up, just brought 2 BMW last month paid off. Yes I really could buy that $50,000,000 latest yacht but it's stupid cus i already got 1 already, yes it's 5 years old but it's paid off. I feel so bad for everyone just showing off that they can buy this phone but yet it's through monthly payments through your carrier. And yes the yacht cost more than the house but who cares. It's all paid off. Do I go show off and say, because we can. Only little kids do this.
You seem to have come a long way since you cared more about feeding starving families as opposed to rampant consumerism.

The cost of the Apple Watches spent including the 5 friends, it could of went to starving families that hasn't eaten anything for weeks. I don't own a Apple Watch but if I do with the 5 other friends, would it feel good knowing that these families are starving so I can show off... Not sure I can

Wonder how many families could be fed with the money spent on that yacht.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Will you say that the iPhone 8 is a gimmick if it includes an iris scanner like it is rumoured to do so?
Before TouchID fingerprint scanners were very much a gimmick. There's a certain threshold of usability a technology has to cross before it goes from gimmick to indispensable and transparent.
[doublepost=1473163296][/doublepost]
They could properly sell me on piano black alone, im so tired of dirt grey.

dusty_road_6190195.JPG
Why I opted for rose gold this time around.
[doublepost=1473163360][/doublepost]
Creating, gathering industry support, and backing a standard is moving the world forward. IMO...
Also a surefire way to be beholden to the lowest common denominator.

PlainviewX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2013
Yes the 6 and 6 Plus only have 1GB of RAM.

Yes, it does.

6s has 2gb.
It would explain tour reloads.
But it also explains why you think 2gb isn' t enough.
By your comments, it seems that 2gb will be plenty, and 3gb will be overkill for safari.

Come to think of it, I may have commented it on the past when the finally upped it. I must have forgot about it when they finally upped it? Thanks for the clarification guys.

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
The two camera module would be much bigger and the phone would be smaller, what's so outrageous about that. There is less space so you can't get everything you want. They probably could put it in at the expense of 60 minutes of battery life, but then people would complain about that...

the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus make a class seperation between models as the plus has optical image stabilisation while the 6 does not. Looking at the parts, they looks virtually identical, so the only reason not to have optical image stabilitation in the iphone 6 is that it is a cheaper phone.

Apple seems to be doing it again with the 7/7plus, I can bet that there's enough room in the 7 to have dual cameras.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
But this is a step backwards to the early 2000's where phones all had their own proprietary headphone/audio connectors that were badly unreliable. Dongles are nasty things, compared to a neat self-contained solution, for a device that is so mobile as a mobile phone (I take mine out and plug it in to my car sound system, plug it in to the mixing desk at a local studio, plug it in to a portable speaker when in the garden, plug it in to many different things). Soon Apple will sell us a battery with which we have to buy a display dongle, an audio dongle, a photo/video dongle and a storage dongle.

You know what else are nasty things? Wires. Especially for a mobile device. Can you imagine if you had to pull over to the side of the road and plug in to access the Internet, or even make a phone call?

I prefer not to plug my phone into anything. In a few years I expect to be able to wirelessly charge my phone as well. Why should I be tethered to anything? Now that's progress.

Reactions: hovercroft

Wowereit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2016
Germany
I prefer not to plug my phone into anything. In a few years I expect to be able to wirelessly charge my phone as well. Why should I be tethered to anything? Now that's progress.

Problem being: without a huge step in wireless charging technologies you will have to put your phone on a small charging pad which is again wired. So you are going to lose even more mobility because you can't pick up your phone.

With a 2-3m cable you are at least able to use the phone while charging.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
Problem being: without a huge step in wireless charging technologies you will have to put your phone on a small charging pad which is again wired. So you are going to lose even more mobility because you can't pick up your phone.

With a 2-3m cable you are at least able to use the phone while charging.

First I'm contemplating Apple won't do this until truly wireless tech is available -- the charging brick will plug into the wall and output a small power field the phone will receive when within vicinity -- this is likely only a few years away based on what's already out there. Second, I'm not thinking about a charging mat in the interim should Apple pursue this path sooner. The Watch comes with a charging puck which anyone who travels with it carries. The smart connector introduced on the iPad could also provide another more compact option for travel. Nothing really changes, just what's on the end of the cable. Instead of plugging something into the iPhone, it connects magnetically. So Apple switches to a magnetic connector, which can be added to any existing Lightning cable, rather than make everyone switch to USB-C, and in a few more years, no need for a connector at all (though the magnetic inductive option will likely always be there).

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
The BT adapter I use is an MPOW I ordered from Amazon. And yes, I bought a pack of 3 iPhone charging cubes for $10 recently ... I've seen as many as 5 for that price. I can't imagine the same won't happen with Lightning audio accessories.

I agree the concern about charging and listening is more valid for some than others, the point is Apple is already doing it with other products they offer, so it's not a huge leap in logic to figure out Apple will offer a way to do it. The least attractive option being a bulky "Y" adapter, but still a solution.

USB chargers are cheap and used far and wide. Lightning audio Y-adapters need male and female lightning connectors, the audio jack plus the circuity to go from lightning to standard audio isn't going to be as easy and as cheap to do for a while. I'm not saying I haven't gotten lightning charging cables 5 for $10, but that took a while and these need more work and connectors than that and this will likely take even longer. I will be happy to be wrong, bookmark this thread and please come tell me as soon as you find them! I'll happily admit that I was wrong!

The bulkiness (and durability) is another issue, to start I just want something that works and is reasonable.

Keep in mind that charging / listening at the same time issues will likely carry over to iPads too. A lot of people using those as computers that will want to charge them while listening.

I've yet to find bluetooth headphones that allow me to watch video without any kind of a delay. Doesn't mean they're not out there...
$200 solutions might be out there, but again, that's not a solution for everyone.

Beatty003

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2016

KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who has a very solid track record when it comes to Apple product rumors, has released his most detailed research report yet ahead of Wednesday's iPhone 7 launch. The report recaps a number of claims previously shared by Kuo and others while also introducing several new tidbits about the device.

Kuo notes that there are many upgrades and other changes with the iPhone 7, but because the overall design is similar to the iPhone 6s, "general users may not feel the differences significantly." Details on the iPhone 7 include:

- New A10 chip from TSMC that could top out at 2.4-2.45 GHz, although Apple may clock it a bit lower due to heat and power consumption concerns.

- Storage capacities of 32 GB, 128 GB, and 256 GB on both the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus. The iPhone 7 Plus will include 3 GB of DRAM to support the dual-lens camera, while the iPhone 7 will continue to include 2 GB.

- Five color options including the usual silver, gold, and rose gold, along with a "dark black" replacing the usual Space Gray. A new fifth color Kuo describes as glossy "piano black" will also be offered. A photo of SIM trays in those five colors surfaced earlier this week.

gloss_black_iphone_sim_tray.jpg
- Improved IPX7 water resistance matching that of the original Apple Watch and making the device suitable for splashes, showering, and even brief dips in water up to one meter deep.

- No headphone jack, with Apple providing both Lightning EarPods and a Lightning to 3.5 mm jack adapter in the box. Removal of the headphone jack will allow for an upgraded speaker and a new sensor for improved Force Touch.

iPhone-7-speaker-grille-closed-off.jpg

- Earpiece receiver to become a speaker with the addition of a new audio amplifier. Rather than putting a second speaker at the bottom in place of the headphone jack, Apple is said to be upgrading the earpiece receiver at the top of the device to become a full speaker. The change would provide enough separation to allow for stereo sound when the device is held in landscape orientation.

- Pressure-sensitive click-less home button to benefit water resistance. New haptics to mimic a clicking sensation when the button is pressed will be included.

- Wide color displays in the same sizes and resolutions as the current iPhone 6s and 6s Plus. The wide color technology adopted from the 9.7-inch iPad Pro will offer better color quality.

- Dual-lens rear camera on the iPhone 7 Plus, which will increase Apple's costs by about $40 and could make the iPhone 7 Plus more expensive than the iPhone 6s Plus. Both lenses will be 12-megapixel, but one will be a wide-angle camera with larger pixel sizes, a 6P lens, and optical image stabilization, while the second will be a telephoto lens with smaller pixel sizes and a 5P lens.

dual_camera_photo.jpg

- Upgraded rear camera flash with four LEDs (two cool and two warm) and a new ambient light sensor for better image quality.

- Possible upgraded proximity sensor shifting from LED to laser for faster response and greater recognition distance, as well as potential gesture recognition.

- FeliCa NFC support in models sold in Japan, as had been previously rumored for either the iPhone 7 or the 2017 iPhone.

Overall, Kuo believes iPhone 7 shipments will be below that of the iPhone 6s through the end of the year, coming in at 60-65 million compared to 82 million last year. Kuo reports that Apple's water resistance requirements resulted in low assembly yields that pushed back the start of mass production until the second half of August.

Make sure to check out our "What to Expect" post for a recap on other announcements expected at Wednesday's event and stay tuned to MacRumors for other last-minute news and rumors. On the event day, we'll have full live coverage here on MacRumors.com and through our MacRumorsLive Twitter account, starting at 10:00 AM Pacific Time.

Article Link: iPhone 7 to Include Five Colors, IPX7 Water Resistance, Dual 12MP Cameras on Plus Model
[doublepost=1473189024][/doublepost]I'm kinda bummed about the screen resolution. Yeah, it's cool that my current 6S can film in 4K but the fact that it can only output 720P on YouTube makes it really pointless, right?

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus make a class seperation between models as the plus has optical image stabilisation while the 6 does not. Looking at the parts, they looks virtually identical, so the only reason not to have optical image stabilitation in the iphone 6 is that it is a cheaper phone.

Apple seems to be doing it again with the 7/7plus, I can bet that there's enough room in the 7 to have dual cameras.

So, basically, you got nothing hey. The phone is smaller, unless the CPU/GPU or screen uses less juice, there will less space for features unless your losing battery space. That's it. Everything else your saying is just editorializing.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
USB chargers are cheap and used far and wide. Lightning audio Y-adapters need male and female lightning connectors, the audio jack plus the circuity to go from lightning to standard audio isn't going to be as easy and as cheap to do for a while. I'm not saying I haven't gotten lightning charging cables 5 for $10, but that took a while and these need more work and connectors than that and this will likely take even longer. I will be happy to be wrong, bookmark this thread and please come tell me as soon as you find them! I'll happily admit that I was wrong!

The bulkiness (and durability) is another issue, to start I just want something that works and is reasonable.

Keep in mind that charging / listening at the same time issues will likely carry over to iPads too. A lot of people using those as computers that will want to charge them while listening.

I've yet to find bluetooth headphones that allow me to watch video without any kind of a delay. Doesn't mean they're not out there...
$200 solutions might be out there, but again, that's not a solution for everyone.

I doubt any Chinese manufacturers are paying Licensing fees to Apple. Including two Lightning ports is not going to substantially increase the price. Apple currently pays about $18 for all to the I/O chipsets used in the iPhone, of which the DAC is a small part. So I'm expecting Chinese manufacturers to offer dedicated inexpensive adapters of passible quality for much less. Now I'm not saying you're wrong, in fact you're right, it's the competition that will drive the price down online. These kinds of things usually don't affect me though. I kept my iPhone 4 until the 5s, and now I'm using an SE which I intend to keep until at least next year. In both cases, I benefitted from waiting for the market to catchup to Apple. And this has always been the case, especially since Jobs came back. No manufacturer can get out ahead of Apple because they don't find out about it until the day the products hit the street. Unless you're an early adopter who has to have the latest offerings, it's almost always better to wait a year with Apple, or pay the price.

Cheap adapters will definitely be larger and poorly made. That's also an issue with taking the cheap way out. My solution has always been to upgrade to whatever Apple wants me to use as fast as I can. If you've got 5 pair of $800 headphones that all need adapters, the cheap route is unlikely to be the way you want to go. My solution is to carry a cheap charging block and cable with me wherever I go as well as a good one. If someone wants to borrow it, I give them the cheap one, and typically use the cheap one in an environment outside of a fixed location I'm going to return to and have reasonable control, like a hotel room.

The BT Lag issue is a cognitive one. Not everyone is as sensitive to it as others. But I have never found this to be a serious problem for me. And software solutions are constantly working to improve this. In order to really push wireless Apple has to have solved three things:

1) improve quality
2) improve lag
3) improve battery life

Those are the only things that are really going to make the difference to the average customer. All signs point to Apple having at least attempted to do just that. So we'll see ...

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003

I love it when people look at pictures of stuff on the internets and can suddenly rule out all other possibilities...

Because the camera modules look "virtually" identical, the only reason they're using different cameras is to make a class separation between phones?

Could it be that virtually identical is not the same as identical?
Could it be that the slightly thicker plus model fits the part and the non plus doesn't?
Could it be because optical image stabilization requires power to drive and the Plus had a bigger battery?
Could it be because they were supply constrained on an advanced new part and so only offered it on a lower volume product?
Could it be because they were unsure of how it would pan out in mass production and limited their exposure by putting in their lower volume product?

You really think the 7 will have empty space where a second camera could go? I'll take you up on that bet-- how much you willing to put behind it?

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
I love it when people look at pictures of stuff on the internets and can suddenly rule out all other possibilities...

Because the camera modules look "virtually" identical, the only reason they're using different cameras is to make a class separation between phones?

Could it be that virtually identical is not the same as identical?
Could it be that the slightly thicker plus model fits the part and the non plus doesn't?
Could it be because optical image stabilization requires power to drive and the Plus had a bigger battery?
Could it be because they were supply constrained on an advanced new part and so only offered it on a lower volume product?
Could it be because they were unsure of how it would pan out in mass production and limited their exposure by putting in their lower volume product?

You really think the 7 will have empty space where a second camera could go? I'll take you up on that bet-- how much you willing to put behind it?

typical fan boy response.
were you rationalising apple´s stance in stubbornly installing 16GB memory modules while every other company in the world had moved to 32 or 64 gb for their base model?

0lf

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2016

In fact, even from the outside it is clear than the 6 plus camera use more room inside the phone : the optic is a bit larger and the noise cancelation microphone and the flash are further from the lenses.

Reactions: Analog Kid
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.