'iPhone 8' Could Reportedly Be Called 'iPhone Edition,' Ship Well After 4.7-Inch and 5.5-Inch Versions

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 7, 2017.

1. JohnApples macrumors 65816

I'm telling ya, the closer we get to September, the more and more rumors we'll get about "supply constraints" on the iPhone 8 or how it's "not ready yet" and will be "pushed back to next year". However, if it truly is a multi-thousand dollar "Edition" model, I could maybe see them releasing alongside the 7S.

2. kimmen macrumors member

kimmen

Just as meaningless and silly as "iPhone Version"

3. macfacts macrumors 68040

macfacts

Part leaks usually come from factory workers. But rumors like name (iPhone edition) or price (over $1000), how would a low paying factory know about these? Packaging hasn't even been printed yet.

For sure someone at Apple wearing a business suit is "leaking" these rumors on purpose to hype it up.

4. 62tele macrumors 6502a

I'm always surprised that multiple prototypes with different materials are being tested this close to new product releases. By this time shouldn't they have a more clear picture and narrowed down the variations? It seems you would want to be able to rigidly test a primary and secondary model for several months before entering production. Maybe that would lessen the chance for another "poo-gate" shortly after launch.
    Really, doesn't Apple have the resources and enough R&D to think beyond such a short window. They don't know enough about the properties of LCD vs OLED, various glass forms, etc. The current form factor is over two years old so clearly they've had enough time to think of newer designs and edge to edge displays and the like.
    I could easily live with my current iPhone 6 for another year so it doesn't much matter to me but I was hoping for something to make me want to upgrade.

5. flyinmac macrumors 68040

flyinmac

Well... for the glass model, a natural sounding name would be "iPhone Glass". But then "glass" has already been used in this tech area as a name. So there goes that.

Perhaps they should name it "iPhone Web Edition" after the spiderweb design that will naturally appear on these models.

Or, considering the tendency of some prior users to drop their new iPhone as they remove it from the packaging, perhaps they should name the phone after the first words out of many users mouths as they open the package.

Introducing the next iPhone simply named "Ohhh Sh!+" :eek:

6. Radon87000 macrumors 604

Anything with the word "Edition" in it is overpriced. It's as good as confirmed

7. Colbach macrumors newbie

Colbach

At least we can hope with the iPhone Edition, that the iPhone 7s will not be more expensive than iPhone 7 at its release (at least in Europe where Apples price-increases are ridiculous at the moment). An Edition-Version will at least separate super class and middle range buyers.

8. macfacts macrumors 68040

macfacts

iPhone second edition.

9. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

No way Apple changes up their sales decisions like this.

10. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

I think that the main reason that people are expecting something big is that the iPhone 7 still looks like an "s" version of the 6. People think that this year will just be another "s" model because that's the pattern, but the pattern also involved a design/formfactor change prior to each "s". It's been a few years now since one could easily tell at a glance that someone had the latest iPhone (given that most are in cases that hide the colour). It's superficial, but it matters to many consumers. People want their new phone to look like a new phone, but put a 6, 6s, and 7 down on a table and most people wouldn't be able to tell them apart without inspection.

11. Stiksi macrumors regular

Stiksi

Range Rover only chose that because "autoerotic asphyxiation" was already taken.

If it's called "Edition", wouldn't it be "iPhone iPhone Edition" like the watch?

12. TallManNY macrumors 601

TallManNY

My guess would be nearly all 0 Edition Owners bought an Edition 2 Series. I mean if you have the interest and the cash to buy the gold one at $18,000. The Series 2 Edition is so cheap it can be an impulse purchase that you don't even wear.

There are a lot of rich people in the world. And once you have been really rich for a few years, I think you just start looking for ways to blow your cash. The gold edition was crazy expensive. The Ceramic Edition wasn't even really that much money.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 8, 2017 ---
    Yes it seems to matter to some customers. And Apple is going to make those customers PAY this year it seems.

If the internals are basically the same between the phones, but Edition is all glass and OLED, they might make it very expensive and just take huge margins from folks who want their phone to look different.

This will make the the tech guys who like to have the latest stuff mad, because they will know the premium isn't really justified. But they will still want to have the "best".

13. WatchFromAfar Suspended

WatchFromAfar

The headline does say "Launch Well After 4.7-Inch and 5.5-Inch Versions" so they could finalise design as late as August and launch next year; I'd guess March like they do with the iPhone SE.

14. WRChris macrumors 6502a

WRChris

That happens every single year.

15. flyinmac macrumors 68040

flyinmac

iPhone 10 Hermes
    iPhone 10 Athena
    iPhone 10 Aphrodite
    iPhone 10 Adonis
    iPhone 10 Zeus

One of two possible outcomes.

1. People will buy the new models as soon as they are released. And quickly dump them and upgrade to the Edition model as soon as it's released. That way they constantly have the latest tech and maintain their status of being among the elite.

2. People will skip the lower end models and wait for the Edition model. Apple will see less than stellar sales of the "s" and "s plus" revisions as customers await the release of the Edition model.

Reality will likely be somewhere in the middle.

A 3rd possibility could be option 2, combined with Apple not ever having intended to release the Edition model. Resulting in many deciding that it's now too close to the 2018 model launch, and opting to skip the 2017 product line entirely.

16. rp2011 macrumors 65816

rp2011

Just let it wait until next year then.
    The 7 series is an amazing phone. Just let it run its course.
    Never rush a product that is not ready. It's not like Apple is hurting with iPhone sales and needs a desperate Hail Mary.

I say just remove the home button to prime us for next year and replace it with an oled touch bar like on the new MacBooks.
    Done and done.

17. WatchFromAfar Suspended

WatchFromAfar

Well played Sir, well played!.

18. niji Contributor

niji

you really can't put the mindset of a person who can't afford a USD 1000 iPhone (and therefore doesnt buy one) inside the head of a person who can afford a USD 1000 iPhone (the person who does buy it).
    both groups would have the same propensity to keep their phones the same amount of time.

19. Gorms macrumors 6502

Gorms

This is a horrible idea. For me, one of the reasons iPhone has succeeded is because there is the new model and users know they are getting the best device Apple can put out. Unless they are clearing the product lines and removing the other 5 miles of stuff they keep on sale, I don't want this to come to pass.

This new iPhone should be setting the standard for the next 10 years and part of that is that it's the standard for everyone, not for an even more elite niche.

20. bijanc macrumors newbie

Exactly. I don't see them calling the phone that. The only logical choice is an increment in the model number. It's going to be more advanced internally and externally than the reported 7s and 7s Plus so it should be called iPhone 8.

21. citysnaps macrumors 601

It also means all-you-can-eat tiny moans and whines here on MR every day.

Fortunately, with respect to Apple's iPhone customer base, I imagine the phone will do quite well.

22. thekeyring macrumors 68040

and made of solid GOLD!

23. alpha076 macrumors member

Every blog is repeating the same - usable space. No one talks that it is same in current phones too with icons for phone, safari etc...And they also dont clarify that once you are in app (game or video watching), the same space will be part of display.

24. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

NEWS FLASH .... new iPhone will have a screen of some size using some technology. It will have a design, and will cost an amount of money. It will also be named something.

You heard it here first.

25. miknos Suspended

miknos

Grrrrr, that pesky "marketing woman!" Oh wait, isn't marketing handled by Schiller? A bloke? :)

One thing I would never accuse Apple of is gimmicky stuff. There might be something that not everyone finds useful (you can't please everyone all the time), but I can't put my finger on anything that's a gimmick.[/QUOTE]

I was referring to Angela (can't remember her last name). Bet she came with the idea of watch bands.

The MBP touchbar is gimmicky in my opinion. Increased price, decreased battery size, decreased battery life due to increase in extra CPU. Questionable utility.