Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBebe

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2017
Sacto, Ca
If you are talking authentication process, TouchID is faster that FaceID. But I can see that FaceID is faster in day-to-day activity., e.g. logging-in to financial accounts. The app will take you straight to your account with FaceID. In TouchID, it still requires authentication before the it gets you into your account.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
I don’t think he means completely unavailable. I think he means wildly unavailable until February, and currently it’s still widely unavailable.

Right... lets guess wtf he's saying, that's the thing these days,. you can say anything cause words actually have no meaning by themselves.

bnmcj1

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2014
The screen real estate of the X is larger than the plus, if you cut out the notch and do a bunch of math for the curves it’s 0.7% smaller, they even say it’s the largest display Apple has ever put on a phone - I don’t know where you get your information. I don’t see the point in having a significantly larger and heavier phone to have essentially the same screen size and battery life. If anything the X should make all the plus models obsolete - but it doesn’t, which is why I’m confused. The only thing I can think of is that the $200 difference is actually a big dealbreaker for people. Or do people just like having giant cumbersome phones? I have always opted for smaller form factors so I can’t wrap my head around it.

Just take a look at content. Which picture is bigger? The one on X or 8+? Which browser shows tabs?

Which one does not have a notch in the way?

Content shows way better on 8+. The screen on X is simply too narrow.

Dont tell me X has bigger screen in actual use.

MacBebe

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2017
Sacto, Ca
This is confusing to me - why get an 8+ when you can get an X instead? The 8+ has a smaller screen and a more cumbersome form factor, lower resolution, slightly worse camera and worse contrast ratio for a similar price.

Are people just that uninformed? Or is the $200 difference that significant?

I get buying a regular 8 (though I would just get a 7 if I was trying to save money) but the 8+ seems inferior to the X in every way possible.

Maybe the people that prefer the 8+ is because of the TouchID and not the price?
[doublepost=1510515615][/doublepost]
Face ID may work, but wooot it is slow. Could not live with it. Seems like 1990.

I don't have mine yet, but my boss showed me his iPhone X and FaceID is not slow.

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
But it's about the same if you buy the coffee every day and treat it as $1.20 X ~365days/year * 2years/phone-update. Except most people don't do that calculation.
And that’s how people end up in debt. You can apply reductionist thinking to everything but the costs still add up. And consider how many extra coffees are involved. Especially considering the base price of iPhones not that long ago.

ersan191

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2013
Maybe the people that prefer the 8+ is because of the TouchID and not the price?

I don't have mine yet, but my boss showed me his iPhone X and FaceID is not slow.
Very few people who have actually used Face ID regularly would want to switch back to Touch ID, from what I can tell based on posts I've seen, personally it feels like going backwards when I have to use my fingerprint on my iPad.

bnmcj1

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2014

It is slow and cannot be discussed. Face ID is slow. Here you go. Watch from 1:40 circa:

Would never ever ever own face id gen 1. Do you remember touch id 1 vs 2? Though I would rather have touch id 1 than Face id.

joshwenke

Suspended
Mar 26, 2011
This is the point. Intentionally. Trying to phase out the cheaper phones and make the most expensive iPhone more popular by comparison. In a few years they won't sell nearly any phones in the price range of the iPhone 7/8, as the market will have moved toward the new price point.

Reactions: ToroidalZeus

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
Not used (or seen) the new iPhone X but the thing I've always liked about the touch ID on older iPhones is not having to look at it to open it. I can reach in my pocket and unlock it as I'm pulling it out. I guess the tech will become better and easier to use, will probably be a part of many consumer devices in years to come but for now I'm sticking with my trusty old (new) iPhone 8.

Reactions: redfirebird08

ersan191

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2013
Not used (or seen) the new iPhone X but the thing I've always liked about the touch ID on older iPhones is not having to look at it to open it. I can reach in my pocket and unlock it as I'm pulling it out. I guess the tech will become better and easier to use, will probably be a part of many consumer devices in years to come but for now I'm sticking with my trusty old (new) iPhone 8.
Do you generally pull out your phone and not look at the screen while using it?

MacBebe

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2017
Sacto, Ca

It is slow and cannot be discussed. Face ID is slow. Here you go. Watch from 1:40 circa:

Would never ever ever own face id gen 1. Do you remember touch id 1 vs 2? Though I would rather have touch id 1 than Face id.

I don't dispute the fact that TouchID is faster than FaceID when it comes to authentication process. I hate losing TouchID myself, but I welcome the FaceID. As mentioned in my other comment, I see FaceID as faster when it comes to day-to-day activity, like logging-in to financial online accounts.

mudflap

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2007
Chicago
I'd love this to be the case, but somehow I don't see this happening at all.
This is their new cash cow that they're going to milk for the forseeable future.

What is the evidence you used to come to this conclusion?
[doublepost=1510524134][/doublepost]
I woud gladly pay $700 for the guts and features of a iPhone X in the form-factor of a 5 SE. In fact, I would pay $1000. It's not about the price for me... it's all about the form factor. I prefer a smaller phone, and my wife won't even consider anything larger than her SE.

I would buy the hell out of a bezel-free, iPhone X that used the form factor of the iPhone 5.

alex2792

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
I don’t really see the value of the regular iPhone 8. Dropping that much cash for a 720p(LOL) screen and inferior camera just doesn’t make any sense.

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
All of the sudden iPhone 8 Plus become popular again? Must be the people waiting for iPhone X decided to get iPhone 8 Plus instead.:rolleyes:

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I don’t really see the value of the regular iPhone 8. Dropping that much cash for a 720p(LOL) screen and inferior camera just doesn’t make any sense.
Yeah, the iPhone 8 isn't the "bargain" some think it is. It feels more like a legacy device with one leg or both legs in the past. The camera isn't bad, but compared to the camera on the X, yeah, it's somewhat inferior.

mac4good84

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2012
I’ve now had a chance to play around with the iPhone X several times in the stores (the last being in Mall of America). I was considering upgrading my iPhone 7 Black to the X so I wanted to make the informated decision. I can now safely say I won’t be upgrading to the X as my current iPhone 7 is more than acceptable.

First, I’ve loved the 7 and the look of it (Black). It’s the slickest looking iPhone since the 5 and my personal favorite to this day. The performance, the screen, the handle and size have been perfect for me. In terms of the X, the size is actually not an issue for me at all given that it is only slightly larger to hold than the 7. That is what I loved with the extra screen. The screen itself looks gorgeous no doubt, but comparing it next to my 7, I can honestly say the difference is not night and day. The 7’s screen is still brilliant IMO and despite there being a difference with blacks (especially at night), the LCD iPhone 7 display is still pretty awesome. The X is awesome, but not enough for me to upgrade on that along. Performance on the X is fast, insanely so. But, the 7 also performs without a hitch. I know that I am basing this on just using it in store and not every day use, but for my uses the X’s performance and the 7s once again didn’t present enough of a drastic difference for me to consider upgrading.

One thing I wish I had? The True Tone display. That is worth it for the 8 and X and one thing I wish I had on the iPhone 7 but again, not enough for me to justify spending more money to get the X. The notch didn’t bother me to be honest, watching videos or doing anything I realized that is something that would not bother me at all once I got to use it and not having a home button wasn’t bad at all either.

In short, I’m keeping my iphone 7 until they release another phone in the future and I will wait to see where the X goes. I would say if you have the money, get the X. If you want the latest get the X. I won’t begrudge anyone getting this device because it is truly an awesome iPhone, no doubt about it. But IMO, if you have the iPhone 7, the jump isn’t worth it. If you have the 6s or anything before, it makes a worthy upgrade indeed.

redfirebird08

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2007

720p on a 4.7 inch screen is pretty dang good. I have a 37 inch TV in my bedroom with 720p resolution and it works very well for me.

Reactions: fairuz

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
First off as an X user i can say i don’t miss Touch ID in the slightest. Face ID is way superior imo. Secondly we are talking about a few bucks more a month for payment on the X over the 8. When it comes down to it. You pay $3-4 dollars more for a superior product is a no brained.

I have an iPhone X and an iPad Pro, I don’t miss one or the other when using a specific device. I adapt easily, its Apple we are talking here, its not meant to be complicated. Not sure what the fuss is concerning, why do people have to claim either ID is better or not compared to each other. This is just another way to access to ones device.

I have had both FaceID and TouchID fail the few times, yet you don’t see me complaining about it. If you are not allowed access to your device even after manually inputting your passcode, then we have a problem.

Until then, enjoy your device, no one care if you prefer one or the other, as both work and have its pros and cons. ;)

terryreid62

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2017
bloomington
Its normal since the X is the future of the normal iPhone ! The future of the Plus is coming next year
[doublepost=1510538720][/doublepost]After being excited for the X to arrive upon opening the box I was greatly disappointed. I realized it was a little smaller than the 7 plus I was replacing but had not idea how small it was. It simply is not usable in this small size, too many typos on the smaller keyboard. How many 6 plus or 7 plus owners would revert to the 6 or 7 after using the larger phone.

I thought well I will get used to it but each hour that went by I disliked it more and half a day later that was it I would keep my 7 plus before anyone could talk me into using the X in its present size.

Likes, speed which 8 plus matches, better camera which 9 plus is almost on par with and still a big improvement over the 7 plus. The only other thing I will miss is the higher ppi of the X but looking at hi res images on my X next to the 8 Plus and being a pixel peeping photographer I could not discern any differences in fact the 8 plus looked brighter. I turned the brightness all the way up on the X and it still was not as bright or had as much pop.

I also prefer the home button I realize I only used the X for 24 hours but I cannot say I am ready to switch to that type of operation.

Hopefully the X plus that will most certainly come next year or even sooner may have a more user friendly method of operation.

Lastly the X is rumored to be the most breakable phone apple has ever made I am not sure if this is because of the OLED or the glass back but the 8 plus is LCD like the previous phones but it does have a glass back so not sure if it is as fragile or not.

Anyway it was one of my larger dissappointments ever from Apple for a much hyped product such as the X.

[doublepost=1510539147][/doublepost]
No idea what you're talking about. I love my 8. How does the 8 not fit one handed operation but the X does? That makes zero sense. I'll definitely be getting the second generation of the X next year though.
[doublepost=1510539258][/doublepost]sen the X back and got the 8 plus instead I cannot imagine anyone who has a 6plus or 7plus who will be satisified with the smaller X the hell with screen size the phone sucks. The keyboard is so small the mispelled words and typos were atrocious I tried to like it but disliked the small X more each hour.

pratikindia

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2014
iPhone 8 price is not justified outside US. It's much expensive in most markets and compared to 7 it does not have more benefits.

wbeasley

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2007
Hey MacRumors, how about a profile on Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities? We see his predictions here all the time. I'd love to know more about the company and does anyone else actually work there as I've never seen anyone else from KGI Securities credited. So he gets some things right but then so do a lot of MacRumors commentors. It's not rocket science to say "there will be a new phone in September". i could even probably guess the dates of the announcements just by looking at 10 years of release history. Wouldn't need inside info to do it. ;)

And if you are doing profiles, how about Judge Lucy Koh too? She has made more money from Apple court hearings than most shareholders ;)

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

In practice it is barely noticeable. I can swipe up as I’m looking at it and it opens right up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.