Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BoltmanLives

Suspended
Feb 10, 2017
Am I the only one who is really freaked out by this facial recognition rumour? So, all anyone has to do to unlock my iPhone is point it in my face? Or worse a photo of me? Not to go to much down this law road but for instance you get arrested and they want to search your iPhone - they just hold it in front of your face and it unlocks? THAT is scary!! Give me finger or iris backed up by passcode any day. There must be some sort of work around to this, like finger scan AND face on camera? I dunno.. This sounds weird to me..

"So, all anyone has to do to unlock my iPhone is point it in my face? Or worse a photo of me?"

"You get arrested and they want to search your iPhone"

And? And Facial Scan is same as for Fingerprint in terms of searching .Even with passwords are you going to be that person to tell the police after they arrest you to go fish? I don't think so. Chances are you will key in the code just like they ask. Besides what you hiding on your phone you don't want police to see? You would rather sit in jail?

I do IRIS scan on my 950 and facial on my SP4...its delightful. Both are 4-5x more secure than a fingerprint. Both <1sec , hands can be wet, gloved , dirty doesn't matter its my face. The IRIS one even works through Maui Jim polarized sunglasses.

Last edited:

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
For comparison, how big is the "useable display area" of the current 5.5" phone?
Edit: Nvm, it is actually 5.5" exactly. So the iPhone 8 will actually have a slightly smaller screen.

Last edited:

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
So if you want a big phone, you are stuck with a 4 year old design? How is that good?
Why would you want a big phone?
I understand why you would want a big display, but why would you want the device to be big? Just curious.

bgro

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2010
South Florida
So if you want a big phone, you are stuck with a 4 year old design? How is that good?
Just curious if you want a big phone or a big screen? Isn't a smaller footprint with a bigger screen more desirable?

Edit: read the initial article wrong. Thought it would have 5.8" screen. Now reading its 5.15

Last edited:
Reactions: 1Zach1 and brendu

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
"the OLED iPhone will have measurements similar to the 4.7-inch iPhone, allowing for one-handed operation."

Absolutely, if you're Shaquille O'Neal or plan on dropping your new glass iPhone.

I'm also not sure about losing a physical home button. Other than rebooting, sometimes pressing the home button is the only way I can exit a locked-in state and then manually quit the offending app. If touching the screen becomes the only way to control the phone, a screen issue suddenly becomes a bigger problem.

nealh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2010
Let me get this straight. The iPhone 8 is going to have the form factor of a 4.7" iPhone 7 but just a bigger screen??

I don't see them making the iPhone 8 anything less thanthe form factor of the 5.5" iPhone 7 Plus. I imagine that the screen will actually be larger since it will be bezel-less

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I don't know about you guys, but I have fairly large hands and I don't feel the current 4.7" phone is a comfortable one-handed experience, especially not with the butter smooth, rounded edges. Bring back the sharp, squareness of the iPhone 4!

Apple already gave you a 4 inch iPhone. It's the iPhone SE. I owned the SE for six months and it's exactly as you described with sharper edges and much edgier to hold over the 4.7 model. Personally, I think Apple was gracious to bring back a 4 inch iPhone, when all the other manufacturers have primarily moved large scale.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Am I the only one who is really freaked out by this facial recognition rumour? So, all anyone has to do to unlock my iPhone is point it in my face? Or worse a photo of me? Not to go to much down this law road but for instance you get arrested and they want to search your iPhone - they just hold it in front of your face and it unlocks? THAT is scary!! Give me finger or iris backed up by passcode any day. There must be some sort of work around to this, like finger scan AND face on camera? I dunno.. This sounds weird to me..

As opposed to what? now where all someone has to do is place your finger on it if they were robbing you.

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
Awesome yet obvious for the longest time. The little circle in the center with nothing to the left or right always seemed like a waste of space.
When that new buttonless trackpad for the MacBook and buttonless iPhone 7, and TV remote came to light, it was obvious they'd finally go there.
For scrubbing through text alone it would be a godsend.
This opens up the iOS possibilities even wider.

Flow39

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2014
The Apple Store
Doubtful. Why would Apple put a Taptic engine + non-mechanical home button on the 7 just to replace it a year later with virtual buttons? Doesn't make sense.

Also, I HATE virtual buttons. I like the single home button on the iPhone. I kept accidentally touching the buttons, and plus, they burned in on both my 2014 Moto X and Nexus 6!

Keep the Taptic Home Button like we have right now, it's the perfect balance between physical and virtual home buttons.

Reactions: PR1985

LeonardXW

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2016
I still prefer Steve Jobs' era. One model 2 Color, much lesser confusion like now.
Wish Tim will only sell the best model which mean the best size for majority, the best performance, best camera, best audio etc. I don't think it is necessary to create so many variation. Currently have 3 storage with 5 Colours, 2 size, total of 30 models for customer to choose, it is really irritating and confusing!

Reactions: xalea and Zoddino

1Zach1

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2008
Northern Va
Doubtful. Why would Apple put a Taptic engine + non-mechanical home button on the 7 just to replace it a year later with virtual buttons? Doesn't make sense.

Also, I HATE virtual buttons. I like the single home button on the iPhone. I kept accidentally touching the buttons, and plus, they burned in on both my 2014 Moto X and Nexus 6!

Keep the Taptic Home Button like we have right now, it's the perfect balance between physical and virtual home buttons.
That's exactly why, you are already using a virtual button but don't mind it, now just get rid of the need for a dedicated circle for TouchID and wham! You have TouchBar on an iPhone.

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
Now I'm not in the market for this as I will only buy a 4" phone as my next phone... But this rumor has me thinking. Apple has always been among the best at making their devices accessible to those with physical disabilities. If they remove all physical buttons and such won't they be going backwards on accessibility? Not to mention general usability when not starting at the device (such as using Siri in car or similar in other situations)

Reactions: PR1985

Flow39

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2014
The Apple Store
I feel like I'm writing this on every iPhone 8 rumour post but...

These rumours are so confusing but they're being reported by a number of sources, so there must be some truth to them (unless they're all jumping on the bandwagon).

I just can't see a scenario where one of three(?) new iPhones is truly new and the others are like a 7s. That would be a hugely confusing and fragmented product launch and product line

I'll vote for the bandwagon. I mean, I don't think Apple would release a new 8 alongside a 7s that's basically just an upgraded 7. I think we're going to get an upgraded 7 that packs some of what the rumors are pointing to.

Personally I haven't noticed much consistency in rumors, other than Kuo. Others seem to just be throwing everything at the wall, hoping that they'll get a few things right in the process and gain some credibility.

These analysts are just that: analysts. I think we, as a whole MR forums population, take what they say with a mountain of salt rather than a grain of salt like we should.

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
I don't know about you guys, but I have fairly large hands and I don't feel the current 4.7" phone is a comfortable one-handed experience, especially not with the butter smooth, rounded edges. Bring back the sharp, squareness of the iPhone 4!
I am in the same boat.
I guess my hands are considered too small then!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.