Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
Well, I just got off of the phone with Apple.

They are not going to make me wait for all of their investigations-- they will work on that with the carrier.

Unfortunately, sending out a new iPhone is not so easy. They have a lot of paperwork to do to make sure that ATT doesnt think I have two contracts, and some other stuff that quite frankly I didn't really get because at the end of the day the nice manager can't tell me when I will have a new iPhone because it is not just some product he can just have them ship out.

So... there we have it. I am pretty upset really there is no other way to describe it.

That really blows.

This sounds pretty clearly theft; is that what FedEx is thinking? I'm surprised someone with a great job would be such a moron and steal. But; I tend to me more of the trusting kind- I think we call it naive (on certain things).

BrownManUPS

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2007
Denver
Unfortunately, sending out a new iPhone is not so easy. They have a lot of paperwork to do to make sure that ATT doesnt think I have two contracts, and some other stuff that quite frankly I didn't really get because at the end of the day the nice manager can't tell me when I will have a new iPhone because it is not just some product he can just have them ship out.

Apple knows which iPhone's IMEI to block when they sent it...I think this is very ridiculous that someone isn't working with you right away to fix this. Are you near an Apple Store? I would suggest getting a dialogue started to see if you can just pick yours up and for them to make a reservation....this is incredibly unacceptable and I am sorry for the crap that you've gone through dude.

gordian

macrumors member
May 3, 2010
Here it is--- the sides are ripped off as you can see on the top.

I asked the Fedex lady to take a pic with it.

Sorry had to block out my info

While it's being sorted out I'd get on line at the nearest Apple store if I were you. Unless you can wait while the rest of us are out FaceTiming it up all night long tonight. And tomorrow night. (Or you can buy mine off eBay for $5,000 :D)

beaverbaseball

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2010
This is highly unlikely and I myself don't believe you...But it is possible...You never know how many hands the box transferred through before arriving at your house

iRobertM

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
Seattle WA.
While it's being sorted out I'd get on line at the nearest Apple store if I were you. Unless you can wait while the rest of us are out FaceTiming it up all night long tonight. And tomorrow night. (Or you can buy mine off eBay for $5,000 :D)

Nothing else to say about this reply other then, Just plain rude.

lovetheduns

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
This is highly unlikely and I myself don't believe you...But it is possible...You never know how many hands the box transferred through before arriving at your house

Quite frankly, your post speaks more about your lack of ethics and integrity.

I have no need to lie and try to cheat out Apple or FedEx. I bought my phone for $429 and some change-- I didn't qualify for the entire subsidy. I make enough money, and save enough money for gadgets and toys, that I don't need to try to scam anyone. It would never even occur to me to try and defraud

But regardless, I opened up the package in the presence of a FedEx employee-- who IMMEDIATELY called her manager. I also took a very close up photograph of the lady's badge as well as the boxes.

I did everything FedEx asked-- I even called my police department who showed up about an hour ago, but they can't do anything but just give me a log number to show I called (the "crime" didn't happen in their jurisdiction so they can't investigate it).

Hence why even the FedEx lady didn't mind me taking pictures of her badge-- she knows what she saw too.

lovetheduns

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
Apple knows which iPhone's IMEI to block when they sent it...I think this is very ridiculous that someone isn't working with you right away to fix this. Are you near an Apple Store? I would suggest getting a dialogue started to see if you can just pick yours up and for them to make a reservation....this is incredibly unacceptable and I am sorry for the crap that you've gone through dude.

I tend to agree with you.

I suggested the same. In fact, the manager at first said what is that you want me to do for you.

I flat out told him call up my nearest Apple Store and have them hold one for me that I can pick up tonight. He then asked me the question, "you would want us to take a phone from another person to make you whole?"

I basically tsked at that and said-- "Nope. Asking no such thing. I would not want a phone taken from someone else who has reserved one. IN FACT, (and I believe he could have checked this) I called to have my name removed from the reserve list since I was FINALLY able to purchase one on pre-order night."

I did write an email to sjobs@apple.com because quite frankly even though the Apple manager was very nice and helpful (and extremely professional), I find it unacceptable that I can't be given a date when to expect a new one. I really don't care who Apple and Fed Ex dukes this out-- I do not want to be inconvenienced any further. Personally, it looks doubtful to me that ANY piece of machinery could have opened that box. But how or where it was opened is not my problem.

In my opinion, call up the driver get an affidavit-- if you must, but figure out how to get one to me either by tonight or tomorrow.

lovetheduns

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
That really blows.

This sounds pretty clearly theft; is that what FedEx is thinking? I'm surprised someone with a great job would be such a moron and steal. But; I tend to me more of the trusting kind- I think we call it naive (on certain things).

Well, the consumer or customer advocate-- or whatever who is putting a trace on the package (which I find funny because it is well delivered just without its innards) didn't like it when I insinuated with the way it is ripped-- that this was a "conveyor belt."

She told me things like this can happen and she didnt need to go into details about how much stuff is moved over to lost and found.

But then when my local Fed Ex station facility called-- they told me they were contacting FedEx Security and she was the one who asked me to call both Apple and my Police Department. So I have to think potentially they think it is not necessarily mechanical seperation of item from box.

w0ngbr4d

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
Findlay, OH
Is it easy to tell if the outer packing container has been tampered with?

I might have to find go look in a unboxing thread to see if anyone shows the what the outer shipping box looks like.

I'm surprised that Apple doesn't use a tamper evident/proof shipping container (box/tape) so you can clearly tell that a package has been opened before signing for it.

lovetheduns

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
Is it easy to tell if the outer packing container has been tampered with?

I might have to find go look in a unboxing thread to see if anyone shows the what the outer shipping box looks like.

I'm surprised that Apple doesn't use a tamper evident/proof shipping container (box/tape) so you can clearly tell that a package has been opened before signing for it.

Well--- I think these are proof.

1. Pic shows how the edge looked when it was delivered (no tape on this side-- it was like someone just pulled the edge opened-- the edges you dont open on the sides if you have one of these boxes that Apple uses

2. One pic shows how you can "open" the box now that it has been ripped open

3. One shows the "insides" of the box with my cardboard treat (does that even come with the iphone in the unboxing photos?

4. How it looks like with the missing tabs that have been ripped off or the one that is still barely hanging on

Attachments

• edge had been ripped open.jpg
    edge had been ripped open.jpg
    465.8 KB · Views: 151
  • edge of box.jpg
    edge of box.jpg
    443.7 KB · Views: 129
  • photo-3.JPG
    photo-3.JPG
    338.5 KB · Views: 125
  • photo-4.JPG
    photo-4.JPG
    333.7 KB · Views: 119

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA

1. Pic shows how the edge looked when it was delivered (no tape on this side-- it was like someone just pulled the edge opened-- the edges you dont open on the sides if you have one of these boxes that Apple uses

3. One shows the "insides" of the box with my cardboard treat (does that even come with the iphone in the unboxing photos?

4. How it looks like with the missing tabs that have been ripped off or the one that is still barely hanging on

you should Send all this to engadget and other news sites some publicity will have apple knocking at your door with a phone like that lady who got turned away for an ipad cause she had cash

w0ngbr4d

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
Findlay, OH

No doubts at all here OP. That was clearly tampered with. Just wanted to get and idea of what to look out for. It looks like it was resealed with plain scotch tape.

Others who have received theirs, how are these boxes sealed? Packing tape along the long bottom edge of the box?

Thanks for the additional pictures. I hope everything is squared away quickly for you.

johnparjr

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
Earth
I dont know why they want you to call the police it is their problem I had this happen with sprint once and it was a pain in the azz.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003

As for #3, yes... the phone is plastic-wrapped to the cardboard to hold it in place. The lack of any shrinkwrap tells me it was likely ripped off, and they took the shrinkwrap with them. Not sure why they didn't take the whole cardboard liner unless they thought that might crush the box and give it away before you got it.

lovetheduns

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
As for #3, yes... the phone is plastic-wrapped to the cardboard to hold it in place. The lack of any shrinkwrap tells me it was likely ripped off, and they took the shrinkwrap with them. Not sure why they didn't take the whole cardboard liner unless they thought that might crush the box and give it away before you got it.

Interesting-- there was absolutely no shrinkwrap with this box. :(

lovetheduns

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
July 15th???!!!???!!!

I got a call back from Apple and the have set up a new phone for me and it may get here by July 15th???

Or next week??? The manager thinks it will be here before July 15th, but he can't give me a timeframe.

Seriously? So do I even get a refund or am I just plain stuck.

LIVID = Me

I have not heard from the emails to sjobs-- I wonder who else I could contact?

Olivia23

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2008
around
I would not be mad at Apple. It's not their fault Fedex has a thief working for them. I would be calling Fedex non stop! I would demand to talk to their boss/manager whatever they call them. I don't know how many Fedex facilities it went to before getting to you, but I would be livid!!!

cowsrus

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2008
I got a call back from Apple and the have set up a new phone for me and it may get here by July 15th???

Or next week??? The manager thinks it will be here before July 15th, but he can't give me a timeframe.

Seriously? So do I even get a refund or am I just plain stuck.

LIVID = Me

I have not heard from the emails to sjobs-- I wonder who else I could contact?

I would do what others are saying and email engadget and other tech websites for publicity on this

If Apple won't compensate you for having the company they trusted steal your phone now, if you get to be on the front page of engadget, they sure as hell are going to get you a phone faster than July 15th

that, or they get even more pissed...:eek:

lovetheduns

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
So....my Apple Store

Looks like they never canceled my reservation (I called them in the hopes maybe they never did or something).

They swear that they didn't cancel it and that I have on reserved for me.

SO I guess I will try to call back the guy from Apple Customer Service and see if he can do something about my original order.

Stein357

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
Rip City
Sucks that your phone was stolen, but it's not Apple's fault.

You should be contacting FedEx for some form of compensation.

daitalianjob

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2009
i believe you. its a pretty sick world we live in. stay positive though no matter how tough things get. itll all work out :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.