Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlindMellon

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2011
High school- there is one android phone in my class of 26 kids. Rest are iPhone 4's.
Fun fact: teenagers (16years old) who get their licence to drive is at an all time low - around 14%. I guess we know where all that car money is one going... :confused:

rowley

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2008
London, UK
iphones are still flying off the shelves.

HTC imo, feel very light and plastic, and the interface, well it's android....
I can pick up the wifes iphone and know where I am and what I can do.

I picked up two different android phones when the guys from the office got theirs and the interfaces were so different between the two, I wondered how people can work with those things.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
Well my high schoolers wants an iPhone, but is stuck with an old Treo (minus data), my 1st & 5th graders think I'm cool now because i have an iPhone.....

I live in a big prepaid area i think, I don't see a lot of iPhones, but that number has increased since the Verizon phone. This is a HUGE sprint (nextel)/boost area, so I expect to see some changes if the lower price iPhone appears on those networks.

As for me, I have an iPad and we have 3 touches, I don't like google and so when I needed a new smartphone the iPhone made the most sense (and I just got it in July - I was waiting for the 5, but my old phone had other ideas).

As for the HTC, when I first read this it gave me a good laugh for the day!

sn

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

The ********s in this thread need to get off their high horses and stop pretending they've never heard of someone buying something because it's cool. Wake up. If you're posting on MR, the chances are you live in a postmodern society and 'cool' does matter to a lot of people. Form doesn't follow function anymore so why not grow some balls and admit that you're not actually all that blown away by the fact that someone might prefer an iPhone because it's cooler. Jeez, I started smoking when I was 16 because I thought it made me cool, I'm not going to pretend I actually needed the nicotine. Many people buy an iPhone just for its functionality, many buy it just for the status and many people buy it for a combination of both. So get the **** over it and welcome yourself to the world of brands. And if we're going to talk about being secure in yourself, in my opinion the OP seems much more secure in themself than a lot of you simply because they're actually willing to admit that they buy things that are 'cool'.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

The ********s in this thread need to get off their high horses and stop pretending they've never heard of someone buying something because it's cool. Wake up. If you're posting on MR, the chances are you live in a postmodern society and 'cool' does matter to a lot of people. Form doesn't follow function anymore so why not grow some balls and admit that you're not actually all that blown away by the fact that someone might prefer an iPhone because it's cooler. Jeez, I started smoking when I was 16 because I thought it made me cool, I'm not going to pretend I actually needed the nicotine. Many people buy an iPhone just for its functionality, many buy it just for the status and many people buy it for a combination of both. So get the **** over it and welcome yourself to the world of brands. And if we're going to talk about being secure in yourself, in my opinion the OP seems much more secure in themself than a lot of you simply because they're actually willing to admit that they buy things that are 'cool'.

Right because starting smoking at 16 is real cool. Apple products are not cool and anyone that looks at consumer electronics as anything more than a tool is not a real serious man of reason and seriousness.

Oh yeah, and this is coming from a guy that is "cool"... (MBP 17, IPad 2 64, iPhone 4 32)

Let me tell you what's cool, raising a family with kids and having responsibilities and respect for the community as a reasonable citizen. Everyone else is a fool.

And who are you to stop them and their anti-cool swag. It's how they express themselves and defines their identity. Women love guys who think everything is BS because it makes them seem like they know the real deal. You see everyone has an angle, and theirs is how they know how to be. Don't try to fix that even though their negative existence is directly sustained by criticizing others' positive existences.

Why are you calling them out on their mode? How else can they compete with the so called "cool" people who DELIBERATELY admit in plain public they are, without shame, "trying to be cool!?" They don't even try to hide it!

sn

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
Right because starting smoking at 16 is real cool. Apple products are not cool and anyone that looks at consumer electronics as anything more than a tool is not a real serious man of reason and seriousness.

Oh yeah, and this is coming from a guy that is "cool"... (MBP 17, IPad 2 64, iPhone 4 32)

Let me tell you what's cool, raising a family with kids and having responsibilities and respect for the community as a reasonable citizen. Everyone else is a fool.

And who are you to stop them and their anti-cool swag. It's how they express themselves and defines their identity. Women love guys who think everything is BS because it makes them seem like they know the real deal. You see everyone has an angle, and theirs is how they know how to be. Don't try to fix that even though their negative existence is directly sustained by criticizing others' positive existences.

Why are you calling them out on their mode? How else can they compete with the so called "cool" people who DELIBERATELY admit in plain public they are, without shame, "trying to be cool!?" They don't even try to hide it!

Firstly, you completely missed the point about my smoking analogy. Obviously it's not cool but at least I'm not pretending I didn't think it was at the time and that 'being cool' wasn't important for me as a teen.

Secondly, is the rest of your post a joke? Don't get what you're trying to say.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
Firstly, you completely missed the point about my smoking analogy. Obviously it's not cool but at least I'm not pretending I didn't think it was at the time and that 'being cool' wasn't important for me as a teen.

Secondly, is the rest of your post a joke? Don't get what you're trying to say.

Yeah it was all irony.

Pretty cool right?

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.

Ummmm you should never do anything because you think it's "cool". You should do it because you WANT to.

I bought the iPhone because I love the interface and design. I didn't care who had it or who wanted it.

I smoke because I WANT to, it's fun.

A lot of celebrities do coke and others do it because they know celebrities do it and it seems cool. Do I do coke? Nope never would, despite how "cool" it is.

Bottom line is I do things because I WANT to. I don't care who else is doing it or who else has it. Peer pressure should not have an affect on you and you shouldn't let people dictate what's "cool".

sn

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
Ummmm you should never do anything because you think it's "cool". You should do it because you WANT to.

I bought the iPhone because I love the interface and design. I didn't care who had it or who wanted it.

I smoke because I WANT to, it's fun.

A lot of celebrities do coke and others do it because they know celebrities do it and it seems cool. Do I do coke? Nope never would, despite how "cool" it is.

Bottom line is I do things because I WANT to. I don't care who else is doing it or who else has it. Peer pressure should not have an affect on you and you shouldn't let people dictate what's "cool".

That's great, well done you but the point is that a lot of people DO do/say/buy/ things because they and their peers think it's cool. Whether they 'should' or 'shouldn't' is a different matter but the fact is they do and I don't think they deserve to be made to feel bad about it on internet forums. And yes, I smoke because I WANT to too. But why did I want to in the first place? Because I thought it was cool. Coughing my lungs out after my first drag was NOT fun but something made me persist... My point is that 'cool' (looking cool, being cool, sounding cool, buying cool stuff) is important to some people and not to others. But, if it is, don't slate them for it.

----------

If I see other people doing something, Im gonna do it too...

Join the club. It's literally millions strong. Hence the success of something called 'branding'.

jmontalto21

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2011
New York
Doesn't really matter if its "cool" or not. I bought the iPhone because I could not stand the Droid. It got to the point where I could not even make phone calls without the phone bugging out. Throw in the poor battery life and bubble out keyboard, I quickly switched to the iPhone as soon as it came to Verizon.

The iPhone, in my opinion, is the best phone you can purchase right now. Do I really need a phone that can take 3D pictures? You ever try looking at the screen for more than a few minutes without getting a nasty headache?

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA

Not denying your point for a moment. It's just that some posters, myself included, think that it's a pitiful reason to buy a phone, and sad that folks allow themselves to be dictated to by the trivial judgements of others.

You smoke "because it's fun"??!!! :eek::eek:

sn

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
Not denying your point for a moment. It's just that some posters, myself included, think that it's a pitiful reason to buy a phone, and sad that folks allow themselves to be dictated to by the trivial judgements of others.

You smoke "because it's fun"??!!! :eek::eek:

alright, well i can't say i agree or that that viewpoint needs to forced upon others but i've said my bit and made my point so i think we should just leave it there.

and fun certainly would't be the word i'd use but i went along with it for the sake of argument! and i wasn't talking about weed for the record. camel blue fyi.

:)

awadeee

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2011
Canada
I like my iPhone because it's what I like. It does everything I need it to do and I discovered iOS before I gave Android a chance; it's what I ended up getting used to.

I wish I could be as cool as the HTC president's 19 year old daughter

I wonder if she's hot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.