Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kiyp

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2014
I have a question for those of you with prior experience with the program who are T-Mobile customers. I'm not currently enrolled in the Iphone upgrade program, but would like to enroll in it with the launch of the Iphone 8. I know that for T-Mobile the enrollment has to be done in stores (******, I know) while the other carriers can enroll online. My question is, would I be able to reseve the iphone 8 on launch day through Apple's website and pick it up in store to enroll? Did a test run on Apple's website today with the 7 and the only option I'm getting when I select T-Mobile is purchase in full up front. Don't know if it would be different with a new phone launch.

Anyone with experience last year getting the 7 on T-Mobile through the iphone upgrade program can chime in? I have Jump, but don't feel like putting money down on top of having to pay their additional $12 a month for it when I could go through Apple.

justinf77

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2003
Unfortunately nobody knows how it will work with T-Mobile yet. Best case is they have a reservation system like last year, worst case is that T-Mobile customers will have to wait in line on launch day or wait until the phone is readily in stock.

T-Mobile customers definitely are in the worst situation when it comes to upgrading through Apple. I switched my own line to Verizon for the next month or so, just so I don’t have to deal with all of these issues.

Reactions: democracyrules

ray737

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
I have the same question. I searched the Internet and it seems like you can pre order as a T-Mobile customer and reserve a spot to go into the store. I really hope that's the case. I wanted to avoid the hassle of paying full price then reselling on eBay.

Kiyp

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2014
A reservation system would be great if they have it. I don't mind reserving and picking up in store to enroll, I just wish they gave us clarity on the process. For all the great things T-Mobile does, new Iphone launches are one thing they need to work on.

democracyrules

Suspended
Nov 18, 2016
Unfortunately nobody knows how it will work with T-Mobile yet. Best case is they have a reservation system like last year, worst case is that T-Mobile customers will have to wait in line on launch day or wait until the phone is readily in stock.

T-Mobile customers definitely are in the worst situation when it comes to upgrading through Apple. I switched my own line to Verizon for the next month or so, just so I don’t have to deal with all of these issues.
I experienced the situation described on the comment above while I was with T-Mobile
and as the comment noted I am no longer have to deal T-Mobile upgrade headaches after switching to Verizon. It is definitely true all T-Mobile customers definitely are in the worst situation when it comes to upgrading through Apple. Besides, now, I do not have to deal with weak or no signal issues at certain areas in and out the city and in the buildings, like malls, Target, gym, basement, restaurants, etc.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
This is my post from last year, which was the first "upgrade" year. There were some issues for some but I found the experience fine and plan on upgrading again this year.

So as far as TMO customers being in the worst position, I personally have not felt the effects of that statement to be true. If that's the "price" I pay for free international data roaming, then so be it. I don't mind going to the store as long as the wait isn't long. I also don't get all huffy about not getting a phone on launch day. As long as I get it in the first week, it's fine.

So had made an initial appointment for launch day to upgrade my 6S to the 128GB Black iPhone 7 but I absolutely could not make it to the store. I was afraid I was going to encounter the same problem as many of you after being "lucky" to reserve an iPhone initially. I got home pretty late from work last night at 11:30 and looked to see if I could reserve a phone for upgrade still for pick up Saturday (today) at the 14th St Apple store in NYC. I was able to. My appt was for 2pm but I arrived at 1. Barely anyone in the reservations line. Swapped out my phone with the new upgrade & new loan, set up as new so I could make calls, paired a new Apple Watch and was out in an hour.

I feel pretty lucky? I guess there's plenty of stock of the iPhone I wanted in NY and the AW I wanted (38mm aluminum w/ black woven band) was the last one they still had in store (I don't believe them). Here's hoping things improve for my fellow upgraders.

Last edited:
Reactions: ray737

dominiongamma

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2014
Phoenix. AZ
I experienced the situation described on the comment above while I was with T-Mobile
and as the comment noted I am no longer have to deal T-Mobile upgrade headaches after switching to Verizon. It is definitely true all T-Mobile customers definitely are in the worst situation when it comes to upgrading through Apple. Besides, now, I do not have to deal with weak or no signal issues at certain areas in and out the city and in the buildings, like malls, Target, gym, basement, restaurants, etc.
Why doesn't T-Mobile allow us upgrade through the Apple app? It's annoying !

justinf77

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2003
This is my post from last year, which was the first "upgrade" year. There were some issues for some but I found the experience fine and plan on upgrading again this year.

So as far as TMO customers being in the worst position, I personally have not felt the effects of that statement to be true. If that's the "price" I pay for free international data roaming, then so be it. I don't mind going to the store as long as the wait isn't long. I also don't get all huffy about not getting a phone on launch day. As long as I get it in the first week, it's fine.

I love T-Mobile overall and plan on switching back, but it has always been a hassle whenever buying a phone through Apple and not directly from T-Mobile.

Before the IUP program existed, you could only order full price through Apple if you wanted a T-Mobile phone. That's because T-Mobile's systems have never integrated with Apple's.

When the IUP launched, for the first couple years T-Mobile customers were treated exactly the same way as the other carriers because everything had to be done in stores, whether you were enrolling for the first time or doing an upgrade. But this year is different. Now that you can both enroll and upgrade through IUP online for all the other carriers, T-Mobile stands out as the only carrier where you are required to go to the Apple Store for the IUP.

Being that this is the case, I'm wondering if Apple will still have a reservation system this year. I hope so for the T-Mobile users, but for me personally I just want to upgrade online and be done with it. The reservation system last year for upgrades was a pain in the ass and they were all gone in a matter of seconds when the phones launched. I don't NEED to get it on the first day, but I'd definitely like to get it within the first couple weeks, and if there's no reservation system that's going to be very difficult to accomplish.

Reactions: 0970373

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
Being that this is the case, I'm wondering if Apple will still have a reservation system this year. I hope so for the T-Mobile users, but for me personally I just want to upgrade online and be done with it. The reservation system last year for upgrades was a pain in the ass and they were all gone in a matter of seconds when the phones launched. I don't NEED to get it on the first day, but I'd definitely like to get it within the first couple weeks, and if there's no reservation system that's going to be very difficult to accomplish.

Have I missed something that says they won't have a reservation system this year? I haven't paid much attention to it all but assume they would improve on what they did last year or at the very least, keep the same reservation system. Were people on other carriers allowed to exchange their phones w/o having to go in? That's just potential for massive loss on Apple's part so I get why you have to go in for the exchange.

Prior to the Upgrade program, I was just buying the phones in full on the Apple site and always received them on launch day via FedEX so can not comment on how the TMO upgrade works via Apple.

justinf77

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2003
Have I missed something that says they won't have a reservation system this year? I haven't paid much attention to it all but assume they would improve on what they did last year or at the very least, keep the same reservation system. Were people on other carriers allowed to exchange their phones w/o having to go in? That's just potential for massive loss on Apple's part so I get why you have to go in for the exchange.

Prior to the Upgrade program, I was just buying the phones in full on the Apple site and always received them on launch day via FedEX so can not comment on how the TMO upgrade works via Apple.

Whether or not they will have a reservation system is unknown right now. But the difference this year is that you can now upgrade online through the IUP (with Verizon, ATT, or Sprint) and Apple will send you the new phone along with a trade-in kit you can use to send the old one back. So yes, you can exchange your phones now without having to go into the store if you do the process online.

I really do hope they have a reservation system as well because I'd like for T-Mobile users to have that as an option, otherwise it's going to take forever to upgrade if you have to wait for the phones to be in stock.

Reactions: 0970373

Kiyp

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2014
Ah okay so let me make sure I understand correctly. With the launch of the 7 last year, TMO customers were able to reserve a phone for in store pickup on launch day, where they would then enroll in the IUP program? I'd be fine with that if they have the system this year.

Additionally, for initial enrollees into the program, I'm assuming we don't have to turn in our phones right? I plan to sell my 6 Plus online to make some money back, especially since I have it paid off.

Reactions: ray737

YoungCalusa

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2014
Florida, USA
Ah okay so let me make sure I understand correctly. With the launch of the 7 last year, TMO customers were able to reserve a phone for in store pickup on launch day, where they would then enroll in the IUP program? I'd be fine with that if they have the system this year.

Additionally, for initial enrollees into the program, I'm assuming we don't have to turn in our phones right? I plan to sell my 6 Plus online to make some money back, especially since I have it paid off.
I upgraded last year with T-Mobile and preordering with the reservation system was a nightmare. They limited upgrades to the store stock while enrollees got to pick their phones normally. Hopefully there will be a different system this year.

Kiyp

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2014
I upgraded last year with T-Mobile and preordering with the reservation system was a nightmare. They limited upgrades to the store stock while enrollees got to pick their phones normally. Hopefully there will be a different system this year.

Really? So even if you wanted a 7 in Jet Black with 64gb it was only whatever the store has in stock? Were you at leasy guaranteed a phone?

YoungCalusa

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2014
Florida, USA
Really? So even if you wanted a 7 in Jet Black with 64gb it was only whatever the store has in stock? Were you at leasy guaranteed a phone?
Correct, and it was by carrier, so if you wanted a 7 in black 32gb it could be available for AT&T but not Verizon. I ended up having to call Apple because I was furious that new enrollees got to preorder normally and I had to jump through hurdles and they ended up setting aside the model I wanted at my closest store. But here’s to hoping they’ve got a better system this year!

Kiyp

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2014
Correct, and it was by carrier, so if you wanted a 7 in black 32gb it could be available for AT&T but not Verizon. I ended up having to call Apple because I was furious that new enrollees got to preorder normally and I had to jump through hurdles and they ended up setting aside the model I wanted at my closest store. But here’s to hoping they’ve got a better system this year!
So when you did enrolled in the IUP last year with TMO did you reserve the phone through Apple's website or TMO's?

Kiyp

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2014
I didn’t enroll last year, I was already in the program, but it is through Apple it’s completely untethered from your carrier

Ah, so for new enrollees do you think it'll be reserve on Apple's website for in store pick up, and you enroll from there? Really wish they gave clarity beforehand about how to order for things like this lol.

YoungCalusa

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2014
Florida, USA
Ah, so for new enrollees do you think it'll be reserve on Apple's website for in store pick up, and you enroll from there? Really wish they gave clarity beforehand about how to order for things like this lol.
That’s how it was last year for upgrades, new enrollees did the whole process online unless you had T-Mobile

Kiyp

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2014
That’s how it was last year for upgrades, new enrollees did the whole process online unless you had T-Mobile
That's my problem, I have TMO and don't how it'll work with people who are trying to get the Iphone X and enroll in the IUP at the time of launch.

DreamPod

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2008
I wish we could sign up for iUp in advance, so we don't have to do it while trying to rush an order through at preorder.

Kiyp

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2014
I have T-Mobile too so I’m kinda worried too but right now just trying to get through this hurricane :confused:
I got through it with minimal damage thank god, praying for all the areas that got hit. Watching the launch now hoping they'll include preorder info lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.