Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dfnj123

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2007
New York, New York
Anyone know if the K11 (or any other bumpers) work with qi/wireless chargers, specifically the Mophie charger Apple sells? Been searching online, but I can't find a definitive answer...

Last edited:

darrinS

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
So Cal
Anyone know if the K11 (or any other bumpers) work with qi/wireless chargers, specifically the Mophie charger Apple sells? Been searching online, but I can't found definitive answer...
Yes, they do. K11, Rhinoshield Mod, MO Fusion, Utomic EDGEs, etc. Stupidly I have them all plus the Mophie charger.

dfnj123

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2007
New York, New York
Just took the plunge and order a K11 for my X! Excited to try it out!

I haven't used a bumper designed case since the E13ctron bumper craze with the iPhone 4 in 2010/2011
[doublepost=1513368049][/doublepost]
Just wondering, what is your favorite out of them?
You quoted the wrong post, I was the one asking the question ;)

Reactions: Jaggrey

archrider

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
My case or bumper of choice for my iPhone x is hands down the Thanotech K11. Thanotech started the hybrid design with the original K11 that I got for my iPhone 6 in Kickstarter. They've managed to stay ahead of the copiers (of which there are many).
This time they included the unheard of upgrade of actually using polished Stainless Steel to match the premium materials of the iPhone X. Try to google stainless steel bumper or case there are few and the ones you find are outlandish designs. The workmanship of the bumper I received is in keeping with Apple iPhone fit and finish.
They've addressed all of the concerns I can think of. It's been beefed up like the iPhone X so it's probably the most durable bumper available. If that's not good enough you can add protectors front and back (all are compatible). The feel isn't smooth but that's a plus for people like me with a shaky hand. It feels secure in hand. It of course works with all wireless chargers. Thanotech understands signal issues and have designed this as thy have since my first one to not impact the signal. The bumper doesn't detract from the look of the phone.
Last but not least customer service really cares and responds promptly. The only issue they had was stiff buttons. They've retooled and I've ordered another one since I wanted to try black with my silver phone. Their customer care person makes it seem like your little problem is her problem too and with communicate back and forth until you are happy.
You get all this for a very reasonable price (unlike some concidered premium costing $100.00 plus).

Last edited:

blue rocket

Suspended
Jul 28, 2010
CT, USA
Really????????

Pete, please confirm.

It sure looks like my bumpers...

So for the last few months I've been working with a factory (obviously in China), to create a bumper based on my specs (not like CAD drawing specs), but what I wanted them to look like, etc. Finally last week I received the production samples, they were awesome! I was pretty stoked and was when I got them and is when I was finally able to share it with everyone here.

After a member posted a similar case I contacted the contact from factory I've been working with, her response was basically that many factories in China make very similar products, but there are varying levels of quality. She assured me that the cases that were designed for me are the best quality out there...

Who knows, this is the stuff you have to deal with when working with China over email and WeChat. What I can say is that in past experiences that is true, multiple factories do make very similar products and quality differs greatly, I wasn't expecting to see the bumpers I thought I was designing just for my company available under other brands, pretty frustrating.

In any case, what I can say is that my Nova bumpers are in stock, are honestly awesome and I think you are going to love them. The quality and fitment is SPOT on! Still waiting on my initial shipment of the Lunar cases, should be available next week.

The price for the Nova's is on sale for the initial price of $24.99, if you use coupon code MACRUMORS by midnight tonight you save an additional 20% off. These are in stock, ready to ship next business day from Connecticut, so no crazy wait times!

Here's a fun pic I made of the Nova Bumpers, and a quick one comparing the colors... get yours from www.iphonexbumpers.com

nova_bumper_case_iphone_x_iphonexbumpers_grfxp_grafixpressions.jpg

nova_bumper_for_iphone_x_space_gray_jet_black_iphone_case_skin_grfxp_grafixpressions_1024x1024.jpg

nova_bumper_for_iphone_x_silver_iphone_case_skin_grfxp_grafixpressions_1024x1024.jpg

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A

So for the last few months I've been working with a factory (obviously in China), to create a bumper based on my specs (not like CAD drawing specs), but what I wanted them to look like, etc. Finally last week I received the production samples, they were awesome! I was pretty stoked and was when I got them and is when I was finally able to share it with everyone here.

After a member posted a similar case I contacted the contact from factory I've been working with, her response was basically that many factories in China make very similar products, but there are varying levels of quality. She assured me that the cases that were designed for me are the best quality out there...

Who knows, this is the stuff you have to deal with when working with China over email and WeChat. What I can say is that in past experiences that is true, multiple factories do make very similar products and quality differs greatly, I wasn't expecting to see the bumpers I thought I was designing just for my company available under other brands, pretty frustrating.

In any case, what I can say is that my Nova bumpers are in stock, are honestly awesome and I think you are going to love them. The quality and fitment is SPOT on! Still waiting on my initial shipment of the Lunar cases, should be available next week.

The price for the Nova's is on sale for the initial price of $24.99, if you use coupon code MACRUMORS by midnight tonight you save an additional 20% off. These are in stock, ready to ship next business day from Connecticut, so no crazy wait times!

Here's a fun pic I made of the Nova Bumpers, and a quick one comparing the colors... get yours from www.iphonexbumpers.com

nova_bumper_for_iphone_x_space_gray_jet_black_iphone_case_skin_grfxp_grafixpressions_1024x1024.jpg

nova_bumper_for_iphone_x_silver_iphone_case_skin_grfxp_grafixpressions_1024x1024.jpg

Lol and this Nova bumper of yours is exactly like the Humixx one I bought:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0765PQPLS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So you're just rebranding these as yours and charging a markup? I think that Chinese factory is screwing you or you're screwing others here.

Reactions: Nuubi

Jaggrey

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2015
Pembroke Pines, FL
The AER Karbon has been great for me
I was intrigued by that case since I loved the iPhone 6 version but didn’t like the iPhone 7 version that initially came out. I couldn’t find a Target by me that had it in stock.
My case or bumper of choice for my iPhone x is hands down the Thanotech K11. Thanotech started the highbread design with the original K11 that I got for my iPhone 6 in Kickstarter. They've managed to stay ahead of the copiers (of which there are many).
This time they included the unheard of upgrade of actually using polished Stainless Steel to match the premium materials of the iPhone X. Try to google stainless steel bumper or case there are few and the ones you find are outlandish designs. The workmanship of the bumper I received is in keeping with Apple iPhone fit and finish.
They've addressed all of the concerns I can think of. It's been beefed up like the iPhone X so it's probably the most durable bumper available. If that's not good enough you can add protectors front and back (all are compatible). The feel isn't smooth but that's a plus for people like me with a shaky hand. It feels secure in hand. It of course works with all wireless chargers. Thanotech understands signal issues and have designed this as thy have since my first one to not impact the signal. The bumper doesn't detract from the look of the phone.
Last but not least costumer service really cares and responds promptly. The only issue they had was stiff buttons. They've retooled and I've ordered another one since I wanted to try black with my silver phone. Their customer care person makes it seem like your little problem is her problem too and with communicate back and forth until you are happy.
You get all this for a very reasonable price (unlike some concidered premium costing $100.00 plus).
I’m definitely enjoying my K11 bumper as well!

rperalta

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2007
Hercules, CA

Thank you for explaining. So after they make the Nova or Lunar cases, the Chinese factory turns around and make them for other companies?

TSquareX

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2017
Thank you for explaining. So after they make the Nova or Lunar cases, the Chinese factory turns around and make them for other companies?

Well, the tooling cost for a mold like this is probably a least $15,000 US so two designs is at least $30k in sunk cost before anything happens. Add in the design cost and you are looking at another $5,000+ per design.

So unless this guy invested close to $50,000 in design and tooling plus the cost of manufacturing he just purchased product from a factory in China and branded it as his own.

Nothing wrong with that. Business is business, but anybody thinking it is easy to launch a new brand in this space is incredibly foolish.

blue rocket

Suspended
Jul 28, 2010
CT, USA

In general that does happen, yes. In this case I believe the cases that I was under the impression were being designed for me were cases the factory already produced and rebrands for other buyers. It is what it is at this point, but the bottom line is that the cases are truly awesome and I'm extremely excited to be able to offer them for sale, can't wait to hear some more thoughts and reviews as you guys start receiving them.

if you haven't checked them out, please do so, I also created a new code for MacRumors folks that is valid until the end of the year... i think you're going to like the discount! I appreciate everyones comments and support through this whole process!

Discount for Nova case: NOVA-MR

darrinS

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
So Cal
I was intrigued by that case since I loved the iPhone 6 version but didn’t like the iPhone 7 version that initially came out. I couldn’t find a Target by me that had it in stock.

I’m definitely enjoying my K11 bumper as well!
@Jaggrey lol, I too looked for the Evutec at Target around me after watching that video. Seems very slim, yet protective and possibly thinner than any of the bumpers we have. We could go into business together and sell all of the iPhone X cases we have purchased and don’t use.

Reactions: Jaggrey
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.