iPhone X iPhone X crackle speakers?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ShadowYYZ, Nov 3, 2017.

1. GomerBoy macrumors 6502

You still have your 8 Plus otherwise? Didn’t change your mind again did you lol?

2. PBz macrumors 68000

PBz

Still have 8+. Hanging in there.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 8, 2018 ---

I’m kind of committed to finding a solution to this.

3. GomerBoy macrumors 6502

Agreed...like I said, besides the speakers crackling, the 8 Plus is the perfect phone!

4. Brubaker, Feb 8, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2018

Brubaker macrumors newbie

This situation is going be give and take. Since this problem is becoming well documented, and from what i have read it's definitely a feedback frequency problem . This problem most likely is hardware based. The only way I can think of to fix something like this quickly is adjust the frequencies to mask the feedback. As I said it will be give and take situation. With a software masking fix the volume will be low on both ends of the call. You might hear some feedback being to pushed to the higher end frequencies in the ear piece. ( that's what i would do) It may or may not be noticeable to the user or very faint at the least. If your on speaker phone voices might sound like your talking into a coffee can because of the higher frequency push in the ear piece trying mask the feedback. It gets crazy trying mask feedback problems like this without pin pointing the problem in the hardware. Software might mask it for voice calls , but when playing music you still might have feedback issues in the audio spectrum. Might sound like a blown speaker at cretin points in the music at higher frequencies. but not all of it.

Then there is the Event sounds they may also have crackle\ feedback. what you think is crackle is most likely an event sound that has feedback problems and may not sound like an event sound at all. i.e. open email hear a sound, stuff like that. to me whatever this problem is it's definitely evident across the entire auto spectrum of this phone. Apple might need to re-write the entire audio software for the chip set design to fix it. that in itself takes time, months of trial on error. No tech support can fix a hardware based problem either. Apple is going to have to face the music on this production run sooner or later.

Another couple possible suspects could be the processor itself; in that it may be putting out RF interference into the audio chips. I only mention this because the 7 series of phones did not have this processor. not mention its a common problem known in the manufacturing world with processors. A spectrum analysis on the board components might find it. Batteries can also be suspect in problems like this as well; seen that happen also .

5. tastynumberone macrumors newbie

In my opinion there is no need to change one frequency into another. I think maybe it would be enough to balance them while playing together in combination. But I am not educated enough in this matter to claim this.
    Your statement concerning the cpu sounds plausible. That is what I already thought before. Especially because 8 and 8plus are suffering from this issue too. Maybe the combination of A11 with the soundchip or something else does not work properly, or as good as in the older models.

6. BR4DOKYBrazil macrumors regular

BR4DOKYBrazil

Guys, I may have been wrong, I did a few tests, but have they tried to put the audio that causes the crackling and lightly tighten the speaker's protection grid to see if it stops? I still think that this problem stems from the protection grid. Funny there is the same problem on iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus and iPhone X. Funnier is still coming people here in the group saying not having the problem.

7. tastynumberone macrumors newbie

All those people saying they don’t have this problem just didn’t recognize it yet.

8. BR4DOKYBrazil macrumors regular

BR4DOKYBrazil

I'm from Brazil. Me, my brother and my sister-in-law, bought the pre-sale in the USA. We went to pick them up at my brother's sister-in-law's house. I told my brother about my problem. He said his does not have this problem. Since he lives in another city, I have not yet seen him personally to see the problem. When I see him and my sister-in-law, I'll look into their device. But I can not believe that it is a general problem and that Apple does not manifest itself about it.

9. tastynumberone macrumors newbie

I think many people are not sensitive enough or just don’t care about such things. In addition to that, a huge number of users just don’t use their phone for calling someone anymore.
    They’re just typing and posting the whole day. And if i hadn’t used my device on speakerphone, what I usually do at home, maybe i hadn’t recognized it too. But exactly that bothers me so much.

10. Phone Junky macrumors 65816

Phone Junky

If you don’t recognize it, then it is in fact, not a problem to you.

11. PBz macrumors 68000

PBz

Well said and I agree. I absolutely think it’s hardware and the latter makes sense.

I am VERY curious how Apple handles this. It’s an issue with the X, 8 & 8 Plus. All same chip. I can tell from the person I’m working with that it isn’t a simple issue. I think it’s big.

Early in the process I was demonstrating the issue to an Apple Store employee and he said he had never heard of the issue and I asked him what phone he had. He had just gotten an X. Within minutes I was able to demonstrate the issue on HIS phone and his look was priceless. I asked him if he was OK paying over $1,000 (I know..discounts..) for a phone with a busted sounding speaker.

Crickets.

12. tastynumberone macrumors newbie

But maybe for others, who still want to use their devices in its originally provision.

13. kneezmo macrumors member

kneezmo

its a hardware problem. Apple launch the X this year, but in fact, they wanna release this new device in 2018, but the market and costumers and competitors push apple to launch a device with a new design. Apple idea´s was launch 8 and 8 plus in 2017, and X and X Plus in 2018.. so thats why the hardware isnt so well, and iOS 11 has so many problems, because they have to adapt the software for a botton and non-botton device, with lot of gestures and new options.. and thats why finally, they launch a iPhone that seems a test-product. The best thing that can do if have the oportunity, its skip this device, and wait until end of year for the next gen, and pray for non-issues.

14. BR4DOKYBrazil macrumors regular

BR4DOKYBrazil

Let's see if I get it: did the seller's iPhone X have the same problem as ours?

15. PBz macrumors 68000

PBz

Yes

16. GomerBoy macrumors 6502

How do you get Apple people to see this thread haha?

17. julezb macrumors newbie

Hey guys,
    did notice the buzzing noise problem a few days ago and tried different ios settings. Found a possible solution (for now):

Go to: Settings > General > Accessibility and activate Hearing Aid mode

It "modifies the phone’s acoustic settings" and for me the buzzing earspeaker noise (some loud frequencies @ phonecalls) is gone. Please let me know if this works for you as well.

Greetings from Germany ;)

18. PBz macrumors 68000

PBz

I tested this. It did not resolve the speaker clipping issue for me. Also, it requires that phone noise cancellation be disabled.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 12, 2018 ---
    Apple is very much aware of this issue.

19. nokkynuk macrumors member

nokkynuk

After 1 replacement from Apple directly (New Stock), i still have crackling speakers. I'll deal with it and just use my AirPods. I think this is something that can be fixed via software updates. I do notice however that the crackling is more prevalent while using Youtube (also Youtube++, and Cerctube). Netflix seems less affected.

20. GomerBoy macrumors 6502

I notice crackling the most when typing and music is playing in the background and on Snapchat video filters. It’s so weird. I though some people said it was a least a little better with a beta of 11.3?

21. BR4DOKYBrazil macrumors regular

BR4DOKYBrazil

In mine does not manifest typing. What I notice most is in WhatsApp audio messages, especially in male bass. In music it's very rare, like Spotify. In YouTube videos when male and serious voice.

22. kneezmo macrumors member

kneezmo

Any here decide skip to the next Gen and try to sell or return his device?

23. PBz, Feb 13, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018

PBz macrumors 68000

PBz

I have been working with Apple at Executive Liaison level of support. I will be honest, and I have shared this with Apple, but I am about to toss in the towel. I have provided an example of the issue occurring to the engineers based on every set of criteria the engineers have requested. I have replicated the issue with non-native apps, native apps and as of this morning I have completely DFU'd my iPhone, setup phone as new with ONLY Apple native apps and recreated the issue. I am now having to setup my AW again due to this process.. not to mention my phone soon.

My Apple Support rep has been amazing but the engineers keep asking for more. I have voiced my frustration so we will see what happens.

My goal for all of this work.. plain and simple is in NO way to have Apple announce this issue to the public, but rather have a Support Solution in place for those that have the issue and bring their phone with the issue to Apple for Support. I am highly confident that the issue is on the 8, 8 Plus and X. Honestly, I enjoy testing but in this case I have pressed pretty hard on Apple as I think consumers who experience and recognize this issue deserve a solution.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 13, 2018 ---
    I will say, with 100% honesty, that depending on how Apple responds will determine if my next phone is an iPhone. I may or may not share the full details of their response but how they go about addressing the issue will go a long way towards my decision to keep purchasing their products. I have owned every model of iPhone and never had one with what sounds like a busted speaker out of the box.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 13, 2018 ---
    What I can share that I have learned.

The issue is a clipping, or crackle of the speaker. It seems to be caused by multiple audio/image files loading simultaneously.

The issue is much more significant on third-party apps as there are few native apps, even in combination, that cause the issue and the instance is 'quicker' as the primary and secondary audio don't play consistently.

Apps like Sky Guide or Sudoku Master Edition (or other apps with background audio constant plus secondary selection audio) are the worst.

In a native app scenario the issue is there but not as horrible. With native apps it's usually a quick clip but not on-going. However, in some cases if you keep doing certain things it will repeat in native apps... just less frequent.

A native app example - play a podcast that is light audio (for clipping to stand out versus some loud house music) and then open a Live Photo photo.. then long-press the Live Photo and you will hear the clip. You may have to open a few but it will eventually happen. I have also had the same issue occur if playing a podcast and opening articles in the News app.

The worst native app instance for me (has been hard to recreate) was when I was on a phone call, using speakerphone, and taking notes in the Notes app. It was clipping really bad as I typed.

Sharing because I think it's only right that some people who have been very frustrated better understand what may be the issue with their very expensive phone.

24. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

got my iphone x replaced again. noticable crackle on this one at max or near max volume.

so, not all iphone x are created equal.

I'm just going to ignore it.

25. PBz macrumors 68000

PBz

Add the Apple-promoted app Night Sky to the list of apps with horrible speaker clipping.

I would be very curious to know if the clipping in this app is bad on the X. If anyone can test that it would be appreciated.