iPhone X iPhone X crackle speakers?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ShadowYYZ, Nov 3, 2017.

1. BR4DOKYBrazil macrumors regular

BR4DOKYBrazil

Is Apple really aware of these crackling problems on iPhones 8 and X?

2. tastynumberone macrumors newbie

Normally, they should. I already think that maybe the problem results from hardware onboard. Would be a reason why it is not fixable easily.

3. BR4DOKYBrazil macrumors regular

BR4DOKYBrazil

I believe that if they equalized the top speaker and decreased the volume would already improve. On the iPhone 7 Plus, the top speaker is lower than the bottom speaker.

4. tastynumberone macrumors newbie

Then i ask myself why they did not do it yet?! Should not be a big thing.
    Dont want to wait until September.
    Anyone here able to test 11.3 beta 2?

5. Rzeka macrumors newbie

Rzeka

6. tastynumberone macrumors newbie

7. kneezmo macrumors regular

kneezmo

The better option its try to recover your money and wait for the next gen... 3 months after X launch, 7 updates, and the issue still exist.. I dont think this will be fixed.

8. Protozo macrumors member

Incredible, what the hell is apple waiting to solve this issue?

9. BR4DOKYBrazil macrumors regular

BR4DOKYBrazil

Unbelievable...
    --- Post Merged, Feb 7, 2018 ---
    I have no hope of Apple fixing this, since the iPhone 8 also has this problem. Still believe that it is very high volume to a grid with very small holes.

10. GomerBoy macrumors 6502

Well theretically, it’s a hardware issue with the speakers right? Apple gives a year warranty for that kind of thing, so I could always take my 8 Plus back within a year (if the crackling is no resolved) and get my money back to spend towards a new X Plus! Am I right about this idea?

11. kneezmo macrumors regular

kneezmo

im not sure apple return your money back.. i buy my X in amazon, becasue for me, have the best warranty. 2 MOnths latere, i return my device and get my money back.

12. rani-k macrumors newbie

rani-k

I heard a crackle today while talking with someone on the phone. It wasn't on loud speaker and volume was't even that high. Bad sign imo.

Seems to happen a lot with people speaking with no background noise, like a YouTube tutorial video for example.

13. GomerBoy macrumors 6502

I bought my 8 Plus from Best Buy...they have a year warranty on iPhones for hardware issues.

14. BR4DOKYBrazil macrumors regular

BR4DOKYBrazil

The funniest thing is that it happens with certain voices in calls. It depends on the tone of the voice.

It's what I said: Unlike a screen problem that everyone notes, this problem is hard to notice being a regular user.

15. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

So you are saying it will depend on the frequencies used?

16. BR4DOKYBrazil macrumors regular

BR4DOKYBrazil

Yes! In music it is very rare to notice the crackling. In WhatsApp audios, depending on the tone of the voice, crackling is easily noticed. I have a friend that whenever he sends me audio message in WhatsApp I can notice the crackling. Movie trailers are very rare to notice. YouTube videos where YouTuber's voice is kind of strong, is easily noticed in some parts.

17. tastynumberone macrumors newbie

I can confirm this. Especially male voices cause it. Talking to women most of the time is no problem. You notice it extremly when someone coughs or temporarily speaks louder for example.
    For me, music is not a problem, but phone calls on speaker are really terrible. Even at home where it is quiet and the volume is not on maximum.
    The crackle is poduced by a certain range of frequency in combination whith enough volume.

18. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

This means (likely) its the mid-low and mid frequencies causing the issue.

19. BR4DOKYBrazil macrumors regular

BR4DOKYBrazil

Exactly! Male voice is easily noticed. Calls on speaker is really terrible! I swear I'm afraid to change the device and the new one with the same problem and maybe another issue.

I wonder if it is a general problem and if Apple will not fix this through update.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 8, 2018 ---
    I believe so. And I believe it has to do with the protection grid. It should be very small for such speaker power.

20. tastynumberone macrumors newbie

And it is also only when some or many of those frequencies are played at the same time. Thats why clear music is no problem for the speaker. You also can not reproduce it with a generator playing a single frequency.
    Maybe reducing these frequencies via software will provokate increase or
    maximization of volume by the user. So perhaps the problem would stay existing.

21. Protozo macrumors member

The funniest thing is that Apple don’t want to solve this issue. Maybe they think that we will buy the new iPhone X next year and we will spend the money in a new phone to not have issues like the crackling...

I'm starting to get tired of all this ...

22. kneezmo macrumors regular

kneezmo

If apple dont fix this in this last months... probably they dont do it until the next gen

23. Brubaker, Feb 8, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2018

Brubaker macrumors newbie

I was going to buy an i-phone 8 plus the other day, then done the usual searching on the net. The phone cracking seems to be the number one problem \ complaint. If I may shed some light on this problem, because it's also a problem I'm having; not with an i-phone but an engineering problem.

Tastynumberone. Well, your close. If you lower the frequencies by software adjustment your going to still hear that crackle and it may turn into raspy or shrill sound instead. what that crackle noise is, is FEEDBACK.
    but, I wish it were that easy of a fix. My guess is that apple will try or attempt to adjust this with the software designd for the hardware that is causing the problem (see below) . almost sure this problem can't be fixed by a simple software adjustment.

Ive been working on a problem like this for over a year in engineering. I think what is happening with apple is hardware and software related. This problem almost sounds like a frequency re-restructure and or re-assignment. what you do is take high mid and low frequencies and re- re-assign them to a different part of the hearing spectrum using software with a hardware based design that match.

What I think Apple is trying to do is give the end user a near perfect audio spectrum that will match any noise environment your in. There will be no more huh, what, say that again.... its very cool high tech stuff especially if your using ear buds or what have you. Audio technology has made some very, very big advancement's in the last 4-5 years with more that half being developed at Universities.

Hearing-Aid manufactures use this type of technology now for people that can only hear specific frequencies in a specific range; thus take the high frequencies by placing them in the low frequency spectrum. This makes clear and understandable speech for the hard of hearing. . some of this tech is still being work out. I think apple took a similar path but the management of the frequencies is not there. what controls something like this is what we call in engineering a "feedback manager" it can also compress sounds and is software based . If apple is using tech like this it's going to be matched with the hardware. ( this is not software that an end user will have access too. you really must know your stuff on a PHD level of audiology combined with engineering. this blows my mind at times, cool stuff.

hope apple gets this all worked out . I also think they need to check into some patents from HTC. those guys utilize their audio technology with high definition signals ( 4G-lte) makes a big difference in sound quality

24. tastynumberone macrumors newbie

Sounds interesting and sophisticated at the same time :) I hope that Apple has a few of such enigineers which are educated enough to get rid of this desease. At this moment, it seems that they are not really interested in solving the problem :/
    Maybe it would be enough to equalize those frequencies which cause these interferences. I don’t know. For me it would even be okay if the sound quality becomes a little worse. I just want to hear the human voice without this crackling and no high end fidelity.
    It is hard to understand why this should not be possible. At least because the iPhone 7 did it perfectly, even one year before.

25. PBz macrumors 68020

PBz

Yes
    --- Post Merged, Feb 8, 2018 ---
    I will just say I have reached the highest level of support with Apple. I have provided multiple videos of the issue happening with native and non-native apps. Just today it happened while on a call using speakerphone and taking some notes in Notes app. I think my Rep intermediary is actually getting frustrated with the engineers. They keep asking for more proof but not providing any answers.

I trust Apple is being forthright with me on this.

We will see what happens. If I can provide answers I will.