iPhone X iPhone X crackle speakers?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ShadowYYZ, Nov 3, 2017.

1. PBz macrumors 68000

PBz

2. tastynumberone macrumors newbie

In that App, there is also a slight crackling on my iPhone 7. Maybe not as strong as in the video, but it is there.
    Seems more software dependent, because i can hear it also with low volume.

3. PBz macrumors 68000

PBz

This could be good news.

Anyone with X ??

4. BR4DOKYBrazil macrumors regular

BR4DOKYBrazil

5. kinksaa27 macrumors newbie

same here, it's been really frustrating anyone with a solution?

6. tastynumberone macrumors newbie

Exactly mine, and I think that of every X.

7. Bhertolabi macrumors newbie

8. GomerBoy macrumors 6502

9. BR4DOKYBrazil macrumors regular

BR4DOKYBrazil

Apparently we have two types of problems in the sound of the devices.

10. 0385689 Suspended

That's all I have.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 14, 2018 ---
    did you find a resolution at all?
    Actually has anyone found a resolution at all?

Attached Files:

11. PBz macrumors 68000

PBz

No resolution as of yet. Trust me. I’ve worked with local Apple Tech and now an Executive Liasion and Support. Multiple files provided. Waiting on a response from engineers.
    What does unit specific failure mean? ..in Apple language?

I got confirmation that the X has same issue.

12. GomerBoy macrumors 6502

Wow you really are trying to get to them bottom of this thing! I salute you!

13. PBz macrumors 68000

PBz

For everyone. Thank you. It’s worth the effort.
    It’s very possible that I/we don’t get an ‘answer’. I hope we get something but Apple will sometimes.. just Apple.

I do feel like the people I’m working with acknowledge the issue and are working on it.

14. 0385689 Suspended

"not a bug"=not software.
    "unit specific" hardware failure, replace phone.
    Their engineers are instructed to not say anything regarding this issue. Their customer facer engineers are made to say "we don't know what it is, we do not recommend replacement."
    Your better bet is going into a local store and ask for a replacement. Otherwise if they do reply, you'll likely be denied one.
    Or sometimes they just wouldn't reply at all.
    even though they already know it's a hw issue.
    They're trying to save profit cuz it's affecting too many people.

15. PBz macrumors 68000

PBz

Wow.

You nailed months of my interactions in a single post.

I got the ‘no response from engineers’ from a Tech.

I got the ‘we do not recommend replacent’ as ‘replacement likely to have same issue’.

I have gotten the ‘no response’ from engineers working with Executive Liasion Support.

I got serious pushback from engineers about it being a non-native app issue ... until I was able to recreate the issue on-demand using native apps on a DFU’d phone without ANY non-native apps. Engineers now reviewing those sysdiagnose logs.
    The last ‘member since today’ like this was an Apple employee. ...
    I have had 4 8+ and 1 8.. all had/have the issue.
    They hide this issue with no resolution for people and my next phone isn’t an iPhone.. on principal.

16. 0385689 Suspended

It’s funny how their customer facing engineers are saying we don’t know we don’t recommend, when Apple developer relations knows it’s a hardware issue.
    This issue I think has to do with the power management and how much electricity it sends out. It’s nothing to do with software or the freaking speaker even.
    And because it’s the PMU it worsens over time.
    Like I said, they’re trying to save profit.
    The company has changed under Timothy.
    It’s so profit driven-undermining quality control, denying warranty, denying replacements, not budgeting enuf for Federighi (why else DY think iOS 11 + iPhone X is a joke) or RND, denying requests.
    This isn’t the Apple it used to be.
    My motherboard on my MBP was replaced two times within a month, now a month after that, it gave me a kernel panic. Probably still hardware.
    Your phone would also heat up more than other phones as the PMU sends out too much electrical current. And thus you would have a way shorter battery life than other users.
    It’s either a little electricity or too damn much, that it pops the speaker and eventually breaks it and overheats the phone.
    I’m imagining executive liaison is CR.
    “The last member since today” what did you mean by that?

17. PBz macrumors 68000

PBz

I thought you might be a birdie from Apple. I have personally received help before and it was awesome.

This Executive Liasion seems different than CR. They said they were resoonding based on my email to Tim Cook.

So are you saying 8/8+/X are all eventually toast with this issue?

18. 0385689, Feb 14, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2018

0385689 Suspended

I've never received any responses for emails sent to Cook. But I do not like the direction the company is going. It's going backwards.
    No, I'm not from Apple. If I were, I would have a) grabbed Tim Cook's neck and thrown him out the window, b) gotten the phone replaced and fixed already. Instead of fighting it.
    The reason above (PMU) is only my speculations. Based on when and how this issue happens. But it is a confirmed HW issue by Apple.
    Not really... This only happens to an amount of them. They use several suppliers for their PMU so it depends on which one they put in.
    So if your replacement is the RIGHT device, it will get fixed.
    Try and get the executive liaison to just CRU it. Or refund it.
    But the issue is practically exclusive to those three phones.
    Just to give everyone a little legal headsup:
    Apple claims that because it's a "software issue" they don't have to warrant it.
    Wrong.
    Not only do they have to warrant it, they have to do it in due time. And they've failed exactly that, with evidence suggesting they haven't acted to attempt to resolve the issue (replacing devices) when they clearly know that it is a hardware failure. That broke their own warranty.
    The Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act of the USA defines "implied warranty" and prohibits disclaiming it at all.
    Like a microwave would be able to cook food. A window would be able to open and close. You can't sell a window and give me a piece of pure glass and then tell me "software." Or expected behaviour. Or you can fix this yourself ha!
    Apple clearly states on their website iOS is "The world’s most advanced mobile operating system." and Android does not have this problem.
    They state the speakers are, compared to 7, "up to 25 percent louder and deliver deeper bass." Which means better.
    They've broken the law for sure.
    But what if I know it's a software issue (it isn't) and couldn't fix it? Refund in full. Cuz that's the law.
    Since they haven't done it in due time or resolved it at all, they would have to issue a refund. Because again, software is under warranty by Congress laws. Apple is ruled by the Law. You either fix it/replace it/or refund it. Apple will be facing class lawsuits for refunding those iPhones in full price. Because they haven't resolved it yet. Can't wait to see that.
    With all that, CR tier 2 said "refund is not an option, you only have 14 days."
    Yeah right.

Also, the fact that they confirmed a hw issue on Feb 1 to me and haven't told consumers to replace or do anything is deceptive behaviours. I haven't found the law just yet. But if there is one, it would be somewhere around fraud/scam or something else criminal.
    Don't worry. They won't be jailed. cuz they can afford bail.

19. BR4DOKYBrazil macrumors regular

BR4DOKYBrazil

20. PBz macrumors 68000

PBz

21. PBz macrumors 68000

PBz

I get the feeling my time and energy on this will be for naught. Is the Executive Liasion just humoring me ..knowing the issue exists and nothing will be done? Not cool Apple if so.

What is unfortunate is that I love the phone.. I just want one that doesn’t have the issue that creates horrible speaker clipping.

All tech has little issues or bugs. This is more than that.

If it’s the PMU.. seems like they could identify the ‘right’ vendor and make corrections. I don’t know.

I don’t want an Android phone but I do use Google for calendar, email, photo backup & maps so the transition wouldn’t be that bad.

22. 0385689 Suspended

Exactly, I love the 8 plus to death and I know that all my former replacements never had this issue.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 15, 2018 ---
    Like you said tho, if they can’t solve such a tiny problem, what choice do you have....
    I don’t like android either but......
    This is no way just a software bug. That you can solve.
    This is confirmed Hw.
    It’s more like the buzzing issue is caused by the crackling issue. The crackling sends huge current out and thus breaks the speaker. For the buzzing issue replacing the receiver will do, only for a while.
    Good news is if you can prove it’s both speakers, not just the receiver, for the X they’ll replace the whole unit.
    If their engineering team doesn’t reply in the given time, it’s more likely that they know what’s going on but just wanna save profit.
    The crackling at least is from both speakers. I just tested.
    And that continuous buzzing? They probably all have the crackling as well. Get them to download 4 pics 1 word and test it out. Cuz they don’t know how to multi task exactly to trigger it. (I do...)

23. Protozo macrumors member

The first one.
    But with iOS 11.3.3 I don’t have cracking with that song in Apple Music, only crackling in videos records for example in discos, or sounds of Instagram or WhatsApp

24. PBz macrumors 68000

PBz

Night Sky is an excellent example of the issue. It works with all other apps closed.

Funny that you mention the speaker breaking. When I first started working on this issue with the Tech at my local Apple Store one of his first comments was that medium to long-term it would likely damage the speaker.
    I expect, in my case being a consumer and not a developer, that Apple engineers are going to say that they don't know what it is or that it will be addressed in a future update.

If that is the case, I will be requesting that they refund my $ and take the iPhone back. If they can send me one that doesn't crackle I would consider staying with it but I have already decided that if Apple doesn't do the right thing for many consumers the Pixel 2 XL is my new device. I know it isn't perfect but if Apple is hiding an issue I am not supporting that.

Also, I have contacted the developers of Night Sky and they confirmed that users are asking them about the speaker clipping issue. They said they do not know what is causing it and are trying to work with Apple.
    I am also about 75% certain tech media outlets are aware of this issue and refuse to publish an article on it.

Think about it.. the in-call speaker clipping issue was written about and Apple magically had a solution within days. This issue affects MANY 8/8+/X and no articles.

25. 0385689 Suspended

Sounds like you have the second one.
    Do this: screen record (mic off) the sound on night sky or play a clip of the night sky sounds on YouTube. If only within app that it happens, then you know it ain’t the speakers.
    Android releases are around April March, so if you are getting android I recommend waiting and getting HTC U12 or galaxy s9.
    I just tested and confirmed it is not the speakers. That’s it.
    Media outlets are aware of this issue yes.
    But they don’t know what’s causing it. Yet.