iPhone X crackle speakers?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ShadowYYZ, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

This. The majority of iPhone owners likely wouldn't notice the crackling if they're iPhone volume was not maxed. Some of those that are noticing this, have their volume maxed at the full level and others who do not, likely will never noticed the crackling.

2. KadeMac macrumors newbie

KadeMac

I had this problem with my first iPhone X, I took it to apple with no appointment and they sound it sounds perfect and crisp whilst they tested it on the store floor on launch weekend, so it was unbearably busy and noisy. Then I was also told that it is not a hifi system meant to be a max volume all the time? Lol. I don’t have it at max volume all the time, it happens ALL the time at 70%-100% volume. So I left, went to another Apple store after work, they replaced it with a brand new in the box phone, without hesitation. I doubt this is software, as 11.0.1 11.1 and 11.2 ALL have this problem. The iPhone X I have now is same, probably worse. FaceTime, Podcasts, Music and video is unbearable. This is not a media consuming device anymore. I try not listen to audio it’s just that bad. I may return it for the 8 plus, because this is ridiculous.

3. techno-Zen macrumors 6502

I'd try to break it in honestly. I was with you, but I get next to zero crackle at even 100% now.

I swear they just skipped that process in fabrication to get more phones out at launch..

4. Drewsharp macrumors newbie

Drewsharp

nothing has changed for me,what do you suggest to play and for how long?

5. techno-Zen macrumors 6502

Wu-Tang Forever fix ftw!
    --- Post Merged, Nov 8, 2017 ---
    10 mins at 80% 10 mins at 90% then at least 30 minutes at 100% - I played an entire episode of Howard Stern (Deep voice)
    --- Post Merged, Nov 8, 2017 ---
    Who can we contact in regards to this??

What's crazy is that almost EVERY review is in awe of the display/face ID but ZERO mention of audio quality.

This needs to be addressed! Who is the head of editorial at this site?

6. Drewsharp macrumors newbie

Drewsharp

The crackle yesterday seems to be gone but this morning it came back as before, it's very strange. I'll try in this way before taking it to the apple store, thanks

7. Rejubilation macrumors newbie

Rejubilation

I'm hearing a loud crackle for ringtones/alarms. I was half asleep when I first noticed it, so I wasn't sure. It will play as expected for the first 5 seconds and then transforms into a loud and distorted crackle If I don't stop it in like 10 seconds, the entire phone becomes unresponsive, including the side buttons. I can't turn the phone off, or perform a reset. Eventually it becomes responsive again.

I am already in the process of returning this current X, since the Face ID is defective and cannot be set up. My replacement X is en route.

8. GhostEsq macrumors member

GhostEsq

Maybe some big YouTuber will get wind of the issue and point it out. Probably the only way it will get traction. We should tweet at some of them.

9. iPhoneLovingAndroidDev macrumors newbie

I’ve finished speaking to AppleCare about my issue. The person I spoke to said there’s a chance I’d be provided with a “remanufactured” replacement and it was just a luck-of-the-draw thing. Going to get a refund tomorrow.

10. chillenandy321 macrumors regular

chillenandy321

The 8+ had the headset speaker crackle for tons of people on this forum including me. A software patch fixed it and hasn't came back. That thread was 20+ pages instead of the 6 here currently. I'd wait it out possibly.

11. toneLA2 macrumors member

Out of curiosity—was the crackling taking place on speakerphone mode or earpiece mode?

12. Billymac19 macrumors regular

Billymac19

just noticed same issue, also yesterday i . had some music on and i thought it sounded low, realized no sound coming out of top speaker, did a mast reset and working again, weird..hope software issue

13. chillenandy321 macrumors regular

chillenandy321

Earpiece mode it would only make crackle. I tested it by calling voicemail.

14. MacVinny macrumors newbie

MacVinny

Go to Apple and see if u can get it replaced. And if they try the “certified replacement” ask them when the phone was received to the store. Cause mine was sent day one of release. And Apple supervisor said on release day they make phones that are not for sale and only for emergencies like swapping or if anything were to happen so that’s what my phone was

15. toneLA2 macrumors member

This has nothing to do with this issue. We are referring to the speakerphone making components rattle in the notch. Different problem altogether.

16. GhostEsq macrumors member

GhostEsq

There is actually some very slight rattle in the lower speaker also, it’s just way harder to hear. I’m not sure it’s a notch thing anymore. It’s either too much gain for the speaker size, or an EQ thing I think.

17. toneLA2 macrumors member

Spoke extensively with Apple on the phone about the very topic of what is a ‘Genius Bar’ replacement iPhone.

They are usually, especially when the product is so new, devices that failed QC at the factory, were rejected before packaging and were repaired—finding their way into a non branded box for Genius Bar purposes.

Technically not a refurbished unit, especially so early in the life cycle of the product, but not what I’d call a brand new phone either being that the device was assembled and disassembled to be ultimately reassembled. They also bear a different serial number that flags those handsets to be identified as replacements.

The Beverly Center Apple Store iPhone 10 on display all exhibit the same problem. Playing the second song on the preloaded Apple Music library (some Classical Piano tune) and they all go absolutely beserk in a matter of seconds. The guy next to me even sounded surprised and said out loud ‘well this sounds horrible.’

Enough said. This isn’t software related, this is a defect in either the assembly, or the very nature of the speaker used on the 10.

An upcoming patch to reduce by 30% the audio output is not a solution at this price point.

18. MacVinny macrumors newbie

MacVinny

I swear you can talk to 5 different people and get 5 different answers. Who knows anymore really. All these phones are screwed no matter what

19. Mess-I-Ah macrumors member

Mess-I-Ah

This was happening to me yesterday on anything that played audio. Instagram, music, etc. Rebooted and fixed it.

20. Drewsharp macrumors newbie

Drewsharp

Today I went to the Apple Store, I noticed that all the iPhone X that I tried had the same issue. At this point I think it’s a software problem

21. cstm macrumors regular

My speakers sound amazing when max volume, so it doesn’t affect every phone. Very clear sound. I don’t even have the lense flare issue on the camera. I don’t want to return this thing, but my touch screen acts up when outside :(

22. Benz63amg macrumors 68020

Benz63amg

I believe all these issues are somewhat software related and will be ironed out in the next software update, it can’t be a hardware issue when nearly(these who don’t notice these little things are probably users that don’t use the device to it’s full extent anyway therefore they don’t notice these issues as we do) all iPhones including store model devices exhibit the same behavior.

23. cstm macrumors regular

My speakers are perfect at max volume, there isn't any distortion. So it can be most, but it's not all. They are also so loud that my ears started to hurt.

24. GhostEsq macrumors member

GhostEsq

Just curiously what sounds are you testing it with?

25. cstm macrumors regular

just playing different songs from my music app and spotify, I can try a specific one that crackles for people if you have one. The sound is louder and better almost than my rmbp speakers. The sound to me is very clear, no cracking.