Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacVinny

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2017
NY
Ok so no point in going to the apple store and asking for a replacement..
We have tested it. I personally with a friends and his is crystal clear. I also went to Apple 1 out of 8 display phones have 0 crackle/ distortion

xxnoelziexx

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2009
We have tested it. I personally with a friends and his is crystal clear. I also went to Apple 1 out of 8 display phones have 0 crackle/ distortion

I am not swapping mine out in store. Not until I know this is fully addressed and fixed. If not I will be getting a refund. I’ve tested 15 phones in total over the past two days and everyone has had the problem. Guess you and your friend are lucky.

tournas

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2017
I am not swapping mine out in store. Not until I know this is fully addressed and fixed. If not I will be getting a refund. I’ve tested 15 phones in total over the past two days and everyone has had the problem. Guess you and your friend are lucky.
Fair point, but what if you are not even offered a replacement when this is 'fixed' since 14 days since purchase will have passed (so they are not obliged, at least under UK law) but instead they will attempt to 'fix' it by opening your iphone or worse say it is a non-issue?

Melinn

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2017
Sweden-Stockholm
I have the crackle problem too! Especially that piano cover video makes it sound horrible! BUT if I lay down the phone face down the crackle softens very much

tournas

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2017
I have the crackle problem too! Especially that piano cover video makes it sound horrible! BUT if I lay down the phone face down the crackle softens very much
it's there it's just the sound going the other way so your ear misses it a bit

andresebr

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2017
I have found some more reports about this on Reddit. Still no case of someone replacing the phone and getting one that has no issues with the front speaker.

I'm not sure but... Everything I've read so far makes me think that every X suffers from this issue to a certain degree. Were you able to test calls on speaker at full volume on your friend's phone? For me that's when the issue becomes really noticeable.

Last edited:

5H3PH3RD

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2011
I'm also experiencing a crackle and I think its from the speaker on the front. I noticed it first with music. I haven't noticed it on calls yet but I will need to recheck.

andresebr

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2017
I'm also experiencing a crackle and I think its from the speaker on the front. I noticed it first with music. I haven't noticed it on calls yet but I will need to recheck.

I can hardly notice it with music (but it's there). In my case, the rattling becomes very obvious with calls on speaker, podcasts, waze voice directions, whatsapp voice notes, or almost anything that's only voice with no background sounds with phone volume set to 80% or more.

toneLA2

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2014
Beverly Hills, CA
This is definitely a widespread issue. Like I stated before, every single iPhone at the Beverly Center Apple Store exhibit the issue. How can this be silent at this point? What can be done to get it traction and coverage to have Apple chime in?

GhostEsq

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2017
This is definitely a widespread issue. Like I stated before, every single iPhone at the Beverly Center Apple Store exhibit the issue. How can this be silent at this point? What can be done to get it traction and coverage to have Apple chime in?
Tweet at tech reviewers like I’ve been doing I guess. No other ideas.

Dugadug27

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2017
The top speaker handles more of the high end frequencies and mids. While the bottom speaker handles mids and low ends. I think the fix Apple will eventually do is lower the high ends on the top speaker to prevent the rattle.

toneLA2

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2014
Beverly Hills, CA
*Update*

I spoke to Apple again over the phone, bypassed the tech support rep to have a supervisor involved.
I stated I was on the verge of returning everything due to the issue I witnessed on all iPhone X I had in hand--including ALL the demo units at the Beverly Center Apple Store. I listed all the places I saw countless of reports, including reddit and MR + Apple Support. Yet, to this day, they are refusing to acknowledge anything wrong with it. In their so-called database, the only thing closer that responds to their searching 'iPhone 10 speakerphone' or 'iPhone 10 speaker' is something related to iPhone 6s--truly makes you wonder.

Having said that, since I reported that my friend's iPhone was not swapped at the Genius Bar in LA and that the genius said it was 'within range' therefore refused any repair let alone exchange (even though his rattles three times as hard as mine), they agreed to replace mine via UPS or FedEx. They held the money on my CC and have already dispatched a new one that should be here within 48 hours.

If this one works, I'll keep it. If it doesn't, I will return both and call it a day. It's so unbearable I have been using my 7+ in the meantime and ditched the 10 altogether.

Until next time.

CarlosD89

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2017
I thought I was crazy but I’m glad this is here and My iPhone X also suffers from this annoying crackle. Like many have said $1,200+ bucks and crackling is unacceptable!! I had a 7+ that did this and swapped it out at Apple and that fixed it, the diagnostic Test pointed that out. Here with the X they said it passed all tests. So I just said never mind thanks. I’m really upset at this.

toneLA2

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2014
Beverly Hills, CA
I thought I was crazy but I’m glad this is here and My iPhone X also suffers from this annoying crackle. Like many have said $1,200+ bucks and crackling is unacceptable!! I had a 7+ that did this and swapped it out at Apple and that fixed it, the diagnostic Test pointed that out. Here with the X they said it passed all tests. So I just said never mind thanks. I’m really upset at this.

Yet everyone refuses to acknowledge something is wrong. Even Apple Insider (they’ve always been a joke anyway) tells you to ‘update your software’ when pressed to talk about the issue on their YouTube video comparing the speaker between the 8+ and X. Someone commented and pasted this thread and they eventually served some random advice without even caring to read through. Mind blowing.

GhostEsq

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2017
I spoke with support again and now they are telling me it’s not a known issue, and I should just return it I am unhappy with the audio. Pretty amazing to be honest.

I’m staring to believe they messed up bad on production and don’t want to acknowledge the phone has trash audio.

KadeMac

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2017
I spoke with support again and now they are telling me it’s not a known issue, and I should just return it I am unhappy with the audio. Pretty amazing to be honest.

I’m staring to believe they messed up bad on production and don’t want to acknowledge the phone has trash audio.

Just return the phone, that’s what I’m doing. Getting the 8 plus, I have my parents 8, sounds amazing and crisp. Returning the phone tomorrow. They ****ed up, and no tech site is reporting it, their support don’t acknowledge it’s a problem. And I doubt they’ll let me check replacement after replacement until I find one that’s right because supply is so low

Reactions: flowave

Melinn

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2017
Sweden-Stockholm
I was in contact with Apple support here in Sweden. They were somewhat accomadating, they didn't say anything about if anyone else has contacted them about this issue.

But they thanked me for contacting, that they would bring this issue up. And they wanted me to contact them again, because they wanted me to update to the latest ios (I'm on the 11.0 ios) and I said I will wait for a more stable ios to come out.I said many have written about this problem on macrumors forum, and it does NOT seem to be a software issue.

They don't seem to know what it is. Or they don't wanna admit they screwed up. We will see. I do wanna stay with the Iphone X, but for this price and this crappy sound? I have loosen my apetite a bit.
I should have waited 1 more year for the iphone 11, but I was sick of my 5 year old iphone 5, so :/

Cloud_Snowfall

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2017
I'm suffering from the same issue - Noticeable from 80% volume and upwards.

I've just come off Live Chat with Apple and they ran a diagnostic check on my iPhone X but everything came back as working (Reading through this thread, it seems like this is an issue that isn't picked up by Apple's QC).

I've been trying to break the speaker in today (Half hour hear, half hour there) but so far, I'm not noticing a difference. Are there any particular genre's of music that are more effective than others?

Apart from this I really like the phone - but this is almost a deal breaker for me...

I am a little worried as mine was purchased through Carphone Warehouse on a 24 Month Contract - If Apple aren't recognising the issue, how on earth do I go about obtaining a replacement/refund from Carphone?

Honestly, I don't know what to do...

Melinn

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2017
Sweden-Stockholm
I'm suffering from the same issue - Noticeable from 80% volume and upwards.

I've just come off Live Chat with Apple and they ran a diagnostic check on my iPhone X but everything came back as working (Reading through this thread, it seems like this is an issue that isn't picked up by Apple's QC).

I've been trying to break the speaker in today (Half hour hear, half hour there) but so far, I'm not noticing a difference. Are there any particular genre's of music that are more effective than others?

Apart from this I really like the phone - but this is almost a deal breaker for me...

I am a little worried as mine was purchased through Carphone Warehouse on a 24 Month Contract - If Apple aren't recognising the issue, how on earth do I go about obtaining a replacement/refund from Carphone?

Honestly, I don't know what to do...

I don't know if genre of music will have different kind of impact. I have never before been in contact with apple support, but one maybe should just send them the link to this thread? :p Not even Macrumor front page is writing about this, so thats strange? Is this a cover up? :p

toneLA2

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2014
Beverly Hills, CA
I don't know if genre of music will have different kind of impact. I have never before been in contact with apple support, but one maybe should just send them the link to this thread? :p Not even Macrumor front page is writing about this, so thats strange? Is this a cover up? :p

The breaking-in is a myth.

Macrumors won’t report it because Apple told them not to—at this point this can only be the reason for everyone’s silence. From MR to AI, to Apple to the Verge. Seriously, what the hell is going on?

GhostEsq

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2017
The breaking-in is a myth.

Macrumors won’t report it because Apple told them not to—at this point this can only be the reason for everyone’s silence. From MR to AI, to Apple to the Verge. Seriously, what the hell is going on?
I don’t doubt that that money is being exchanged for silence. Not one person anywhere can even comment about this issue? Makes absolutely no sense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.