iPhone X crackle speakers?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ShadowYYZ, Nov 3, 2017.

1. andresebr, Nov 9, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2017

andresebr macrumors newbie

I’m also having this issue. I’ve been debating if I should return the phone. But then I think that If it wasn’t for that, my phone would be perfect. I don’t want to take the risk of returning it to get another unit that’s far from perfect later. If we can get a confirmation that this is a software related issue that would definitely make my day.

So far I haven’t been able to find many people speaking about this issue except for the person in this video:

And this reddit thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/7b5gci/i_love_everything_about_the_iphone_x_except_the/

The issue is barely noticeable when playing music, it’s there but it is very hard to identify (depending on the kind of music you are playing). In my case the problem is very apparent when I put a call on speakerphone or play a voice note with a volume between 80%-100%. You should try that a see what happens.

2. techno-Zen macrumors 6502

That was my reddit thread :)

But i'm going crazy that out of the 10's of Apple media outlets that nothing has been reported. Shocked!

Mine is nearly fixed after breaking it in, but there's still an issue. Honestly it does return but after warming up it goes away.

So weird

3. Splandid macrumors newbie

Splandid

Ironie ?

4. xxnoelziexx macrumors regular

Tested mine and my wife’s phones. Both have this issue. I’ve been to a few stores and ever phone I tested sounds the same using the same track. level or speaker distortion crackling and hiss Present from around 70% volume upwards on music and notifications. I hope this can be fixed with software as apart from this everything has been working great for both of us.

5. Rjj866, Nov 9, 2017

Rjj866 macrumors newbie

Good song to test is “Slide” by Calvin Harris in the first 17 seconds of piano before the beat drops.

Good speaker phone call is the 1-800-my-Apple which is 1-800-692-7753. The portion when the automated guy comes on.

Turn the volume of both up to max or even near max and you’ll definitely find out if the phone has this issue. I tried breaking the speaker in but this song and call still sounds bad. Can you guys who had the issue go away after breaking speakers in please give this a try?
    --- Post Merged, Nov 9, 2017 ---
    I had mine replaced at the Genius Bar twice. The first replacement was even worse. The second is still doing it. My girlfriend’s phone has it and the display models except one have the issue. Even two employees phones who were totally unaware of this have it too. I play music out loud at max and mainly talk on speaker phone, so I noticed it day one. The employees use earphones and other Bluetooth devices for music and calls like a lot of people nowadays, probably why it’s not being reported mainstream as of yet.

6. techno-Zen macrumors 6502

Good point, headphones are more common but the fact that we are on page 7 or 8 of this thread and we can't even get MacRumors to report on it is crazy

7. xxnoelziexx macrumors regular

I’ve run both mine and my wife’s in for several hours at full volume non stop since I arrived home from work. Both sound exactly the same and like I mentioned before all the display ones sounds the exact same which is disappointing.

8. Rjj866, Nov 9, 2017

Rjj866 macrumors newbie

I am shocked this is not being reported. I have an 8 plus too and it took a few days for me to notice the crackling issue which was hit or miss, but it was already reported when I first googled it. We’ve had people bending phones a few years back and YouTubers doing all these strange tests trying to destroy their X’s. This is such an easy find that doesn’t require doing weird or unusual things to the phone.
    I hear ya, it sucks. Hopefully our issue becomes more noticed to force Apple to do something.

9. techno-Zen macrumors 6502

I even submitted it to this site above. In the "Got a tip for us" link... CRICKETS

10. GhostEsq macrumors member

GhostEsq

One of these big youtubers is bound to get wind of this eventually if its widespread. This is a serious issue with the audio quality of the phone.

11. Rjj866, Nov 9, 2017

Rjj866 macrumors newbie

This really makes me wonder why they ignored your tip.
    Those on social media can try to hit up the big YouTubers. They usually have their social media accounts listed in the links portion of the video.

12. Benz63amg macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

iOS 11.1.1 is out, anyone notice a difference after updating?

13. Rjj866 macrumors newbie

No difference, same sounds issues for me.

14. GhostEsq macrumors member

GhostEsq

same for me as well, if this was software i doubt it would change until at least 11.2

15. Benz63amg, Nov 9, 2017

Benz63amg macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

i agree, probably not much changed in 11.1.1 except the 2 mentioned bug fixes in the changelog, more important internal code fixes and optimizations should be expected in the upcoming 11.2. hopefully it comes out sooner than later.

16. KadeMac macrumors newbie

KadeMac

I’ve tried the beta for 11.2 and nothing has changed so I wouldn’t hold your breath. I want to go to the Apple Store and get another replacement but I haven’t got the time or energy especially since when I checked all display models they ALL had the issue. Break in doesn’t work either. Might just have to return it before my 14 days is up.

17. squeezo828 macrumors newbie

In my opinion I think the speakers are just too loud on max volume. I switched from an iPhone 7 and the max volume on that thing was like 70 percent volume on the iPhone X. At 70 percent volume on the X everything sounds fine to me. I think that this might just be a software glitch and apple will release an update lowering the max volume.

18. KadeMac macrumors newbie

KadeMac

Whether they do or they do we shouldn’t settle with mediocrity on the hopes that they do do something in software. Saying it’s fine on 70% doesn’t excuse the other 30%. We shouldn’t buy products based on what they could be, we buy them based on what they are right now, and they advertised it at 35% louder than the 7 and obviously it can’t handle that.

19. xxnoelziexx macrumors regular

Everyone is different and what I have noticed depending on the difference frequencies it is there around 60% volume. Only present in the top speaker. Increase the volume 1 bar at a time it gets worse. I have now arrived at my office and inspected 12 different phones in total. Some of my clients didn't even notice until I pointed it out. Some of them don't use any type of notifications apart from their daily alarms and voice calls.

20. GamerBoredom macrumors member

GamerBoredom

Adding my name to the list. Appears to be the earpiece speaker with this crackling issue for me.

21. GhostEsq macrumors member

GhostEsq

Just came back from the Apple Store and the Genius bar said the issue is known to the store and their personal phones had it as well. She said that Apple would likely publicly address the issue eventually, but no guarantee. Waiting game at this point.

22. MacVinny macrumors newbie

MacVinny

Aaaand this does what for us? If they address it? I can’t stand this stuff. They have more than enough time to create products. Don’t make a phone louder if you don’t make good speakers to support it. It’s common sense

23. tournas macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    I couldn't find ANYTHING online but I was so sure that my speaker is defective, so really happy for this thread. My question is: have you compared your iphone X speaker to other iphone Xs? Is it only some iphones with this issue or all of them but nobody has cared to report it (sounds unlikely)

24. GhostEsq macrumors member

GhostEsq

From what we can gather they all have it to some degree. Some people say they don’t have it, but when anyone goes to get a replacement, the new device has the crackle. Hard to say exactly what’s going on.

25. tournas macrumors newbie

Ok so no point in going to the apple store and asking for a replacement..