Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edfoo

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2013
Australia
Hmm so I am not the only person with crackle sound issue too. I have my iPhone 8 Plus since launch date, noticing this crackle only from speakers in a few apps e.g. 4 Pics 1 Word puzzle game. Don't notice it when playing music. Brought my phone to an Apple store last week and shown to an Apple genius, able to demonstrate the crackle sounds from that game to her, but she had no idea what could be causing it. Suggesting may be the app is the source of problem and needed update from the developer. I had an iPhone 6 before this and it never had this crackle sound issue.

Melinn

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2017
Sweden-Stockholm
The breaking-in is a myth.

Macrumors won’t report it because Apple told them not to—at this point this can only be the reason for everyone’s silence. From MR to AI, to Apple to the Verge. Seriously, what the hell is going on?

Wow, yes now when you say so, we don't hear it from any front pagers! Thats weird as hell since macrumor reported about those "12" persons having screen problems, like wtf?! We who has speaker problems then? What about us!

It seems Apple really screwed up! And as long as the phones does not blow up in our faces like samsung 7, they will try to stick their heads in the sand!
[doublepost=1510444183][/doublepost]
I don’t doubt that that money is being exchanged for silence. Not one person anywhere can even comment about this issue? Makes absolutely no sense.

Yes, this really is very suspicious indeed! Wait, not even youtubers who is testing and uploading reviews! They are being bribed too!

kirk.vino

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, yes now when you say so, we don't hear it from any front pagers! Thats weird as hell since macrumor reported about those "12" persons having screen problems, like wtf?! We who has speaker problems then? What about us!

It seems Apple really screwed up! And as long as the phones does not blow up in our faces like samsung 7, they will try to stick their heads in the sand!
[doublepost=1510444183][/doublepost]

Yes, this really is very suspicious indeed! Wait, not even youtubers who is testing and uploading reviews! They are being bribed too!
Sounds a bit dramatic! I don’t have this issue on my X at all! Some phones might have it, but it doesn’t mean that all of them do.

edfoo

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2013
Australia
For those who haven't noticed this crackling sounds from their iPhone 8 or X, you can experiment this yourself. Download this free word puzzle game - 4 Pics 1 Word from iTunes store:

https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/4-pics-1-word/id595558452?mt=8

When you are guessing the word, put in any wrong word and listen to the incorrect word sound effect, see you can hear the crackling sound. You can keep repeating that sound effect by putting in a wrong word every time. It does not happen all the time, so far I have noticed over 50% of the time there is the crackling sound.

Melinn

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2017
Sweden-Stockholm
Sounds a bit dramatic! I don’t have this issue on my X at all! Some phones might have it, but it doesn’t mean that all of them do.

Dramatic?! You do realize this is a thread with lots of people having the same problem? There was someone who wrote he went to an Appple store and tested the demo units. I don't remember the number of units, 9-15? and he said everyone has the same crackling problem.

kirk.vino

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2017
Dramatic?! You do realize this is a thread with lots of people having the same problem? There was someone who wrote he went to an Appple store and tested the demo units. I don't remember the number of units, 9-15? and he said everyone has the same crackling problem.
Then there was this defective batch. I don’t have it, which means it’s not a design flaw or something. Just get a replacement or return your phone for a full refund.
It’s not the end of the world.

xxnoelziexx

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2009
Can somebody record the crackling sounds and share a YouTube video? I'm looking into the matter.

The comments about Apple paying us for our silence are silly and completely false.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1faR_EDGzAZHkbNCih08GlQs063x3u_8F

Could someone test the above is working.
Uploaded to my google drive.
Recorded on Iphone 6s, will try and do a better recording from shure microphone later today.

I have a case reference with Apple:

Thanks for contacting us.
Thanks for contacting Apple Support. If you need more help later, you can open the case below or start a new support request online.
Case ID: 100348089749

The X's in the pictures have both been factory reset and are using different software version 11.1.1 and 11.1. I have an appointment after work on Tuesday. Spoke with Apple today to log my initial issue and this is the first they have heard of it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-11-12 at 16.13.25.png
    Screen Shot 2017-11-12 at 16.13.25.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 256
Last edited:

GhostEsq

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2017
I can try to record mine, I have a few nice mics. May take me a few days to get done as I’m swamped at the moment.

alever

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2015
Love the phone but I was wondering if anyone has had any issues with the speakers slightly sounding a little crackling whenever max volume. Noticeable on certain songs and even my ring tone which was bought from the iTunes Store.

I compared it to my 7 plus and that one didn’t have a slight crackle.

Thanks guys

iammikeDOTorg

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2010
Vermont
Love the phone but I was wondering if anyone has had any issues with the speakers slightly sounding a little crackling whenever max volume. Noticeable on certain songs and even my ring tone which was bought from the iTunes Store.

I compared it to my 7 plus and that one didn’t have a slight crackle.

Thanks guys

Yes, I get a crackle at max volume. I’m sure there will be a software update to decrement our max volume in the near future.

alever

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2015
I have this problem on my left Bluetooth hearing aid at 50% volume. I never had this problem with my iPhone 6.

Melinn

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2017
Sweden-Stockholm
Can somebody record the crackling sounds and share a YouTube video? I'm looking into the matter.

The comments about Apple paying us for our silence are silly and completely false.

I have to say I'm sorry for the hasty conclutions of Macrumors maybe being held back to report, it was merely frustration talking (but it does not make it ok anyway) and I didn't mean any disrespect.

I don't have a youtube, but will look into this, maybe setting up an account for this task.

Reactions: MacVinny

patriotsfan82

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
This is an example of this issue on my phone. I feel as though some of the issue was lost in compression, but might give some insight into how it sounds. Mostly a rattling noise at high frequencies. It sounds quite a bit worse than this in real life.

Melinn

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2017
Sweden-Stockholm
This is an example of this issue on my phone. I feel as though some of the issue was lost in compression, but might give some insight into how it sounds. Mostly a rattling noise at high frequencies. It sounds quite a bit worse than this in real life.

Yes thats how mine sound exactly! And yes its worse irl. I have to keep the volume at around 20-25% I believe, to avoid this rattling noice

xxnoelziexx

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2009

Both mine sound exactly the same on the piano track. Thanks for the upload much appreciated.

toneLA2

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2014
Beverly Hills, CA

Thank you for looking into this. This has been a real issue on every single iPhone X I’ve had in hand.

People stating replacements are the solution are wrong. Genius Bar replacement replicates same exact issue straight out of the box.

Earpiece is either too small to handle such volume or some component in the notch nearby is rattling at a certain frequency.

I’ve been in touch with Apple for more than a week and they state I am the only one to encounter the issue—yet dozens of people are affected here and every single iPhone at the Beverly Center and the Grove Apple Stores (I tried today) are exhibiting the issue.

This is not an isolated event, people stating their phones are fine are either not pushing it to max volume or not sensitive to the rattle in question or likely testing it with music that has low treble.

Terribly frustrating for $1200+.
[doublepost=1510525536][/doublepost]

That piano tune is seriously the sound of evil on the X. It’s literally unbearable and makes me cringe like nails on a chalkboard.
[doublepost=1510526168][/doublepost]
Yes, I get a crackle at max volume. I’m sure there will be a software update to decrement our max volume in the near future.

Then so much for their stating the volume is better on iPhone X vs iPhone 7. That would become false advertisement.

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
Hmm so I am not the only person with crackle sound issue too. I have my iPhone 8 Plus since launch date, noticing this crackle only from speakers in a few apps e.g. 4 Pics 1 Word puzzle game. Don't notice it when playing music. Brought my phone to an Apple store last week and shown to an Apple genius, able to demonstrate the crackle sounds from that game to her, but she had no idea what could be causing it. Suggesting may be the app is the source of problem and needed update from the developer. I had an iPhone 6 before this and it never had this crackle sound issue.
This sounds like in-app speaker clipping I’ve been talking about. Have/had issue on multiple 8+.

GhostEsq

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2017
**this is a recording of my iPhone X speaker, I close mic’d the phone.
https://soundcloud.com/user966682/iphone-x-crackle

Not a video but i dont have video editing software right now. This is recorded with a Sennheiser e906 mic and an Audient iD4 interface.

and its not the evil piano track everyone says is at fault, its another one

if that's acceptable for a 1200 dollar device, i don't know what to say anymore

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.