Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Except you can polish stainless steel easily and maintain a nice shiny coat. Once SG scratches it's done. Other's have already scratched the SG band and have no option other than deal with it. It appears the PVD coating they used isn't the same as on the SB apple watch (which is very strong). I'm much rather take little scratches that I can buff out occasionally than the other option. Let's see whose phone look better after a year ;)

Without the snark, this is true. The stainless polishes in seconds. The space grey...nope.

Reactions: bnekic

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I got the silver & this was the first time I'm using an apple case.

I don't have any scratches, but there are 2 small "spots" (scuffs possibly?) that I see if I hold it in the right light...I tried to wipe them away with my finger, but I think they are still there.....(didn't press to hard & now I don't see them, but I'm in a different light)

In a strange way, I feel a bit relived. I was so worried about having an open bottom, & trying to keep it as pristine as possible. But even though I take extra precaution (and will continue to take extra precaution) I also realize there's no way to keep it squeaky 100% blemish free & sparkly clean....

So now, I can relax (a little, lol).....

The Apple case will scuff your device because of the debris that gets between the case and phone. It is a good idea to remove the case and blow it out good to get rid of any debris.

kellte2

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2005
I found scratches on the bottom right side of the back glass after the first two days just from picking it up and setting it down (presumably on granite counter tops). The bulging camera doesn't help, as it forces the glass to rest on the bottom corner alone. That said, this was expected (and why I ordered the lighter, silver color), and even so, I through a case on it and moved on. I've wasted too much time in the past worrying about stuff like this only to look back in a few months and wish I had that stress/sanity back.

gdeputy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
New York
my watch is scratched to hell but you ONLY notice it if you look closely.. still looks lovely on my wrist. Relax, it's SS.. it scratches VERY easily - it's character!

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
This is very true. It took 10 minutes of convincing to put my case back on after i took it off to clean. The silver version is just so damn beautiful and feels so good in your hand

I took the case off of my iPhone 5 to clean it and I haven't had a case on since then. Not to sound too pretentious or cliche but Apple *does* make good-looking devices. I also like how they feel in the hand and even in the pocket without a case.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
Has anyone the same issue? I got a lot of tiny scratches on my iPhone in the stainless steel frame

My SG is scratch-less, sporting a Spigen Neo Hybrid since the first hour of ownership. But I'm not at all surprised to hear the Silver would show scratches. It's very possible my SG even has scratches also...it just is less likely to show them than on something that looks like shiny chrome.

On a related note, this is exactly why I have decided to quit buying phones and reselling them when I upgrade and just use Apple's upgrade program instead. I no longer care about scratches and such. I traded in my iPhone 7 with all kinds of scratches on it....bezel, back/sides, even a nick on the edge of the screen. Apple processed it with no issues. Not worrying about resale value (or some scammer ripping me off when they buy it) has greatly increased my enjoyment and willingness to upgrade annually.

Last edited:

haqsha23

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2017
Mississauga
My SG is scratch-less, sporting a Spigen Neo Hybrid since the first hour of ownership. But I'm not at all surprised to hear the Silver would show scratches. It's very possible my SG even has scratches also...it just is less likely to show them than on something that looks like shiny chrome.

On a related note, this is exactly why I have decided to quit buying phones and reselling them when I upgrade and just use Apple's upgrade program instead. I no longer care about scratches and such. I traded in my iPhone 7 with all kinds of scratches on it....bezel, back/sides, even a nick on the edge of the screen. Apple processed it with no issues. Not worrying about resale value (or some scammer ripping me off when they buy it) has greatly increased my enjoyment and willingness to upgrade annually.
I really wish we had the upgrade program in Canada... I'd be all over that, I hate reselling.
[doublepost=1510258228][/doublepost]
I took the case off of my iPhone 5 to clean it and I haven't had a case on since then. Not to sound too pretentious or cliche but Apple *does* make good-looking devices. I also like how they feel in the hand and even in the pocket without a case.
And with the iPhone X they went to another level.

Reactions: fischersd

wgr73

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2005
New Mexico
Polishing stainless steel is CAKE with a dremel and mothers mag polish. I was super excited hearing apple would use stainless again. Easy

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
Plus, with Apple going for as much recycling of their gadgets as possible, all those scratches won't matter when the phone's chassis gets chewed up and re-melted anyway.

cap7ainclu7ch

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
Makes me laugh at the things people will resort to saying in order to justify their purchase! So now silver owners realise that it doesn't look quite as nice, and the subject of scratches comes up, you can now polish them out :rolleyes: This then becomes a 1UP on those SG users who apparently cannot polish their scratches out. Oh how terrible. Never mind how I've never, ever in my life polished any phone for any reason. It's a daily driver, it's going to get scratched and scuffed up. Deal with it people.

Having said all that, when I went to the store to look at the X, the silver ones were all scuffed up around the bottom where they get docked. The SG ones were pretty much flawless. Now, either nobody picked up the SG ones, or, it's more durable and therefore doesn't need to be polished. Suddenly SG is better than silver based on fact, not just opinion.

This is a pretty simple concept. SG is more durable, however once it scratches (which it most likely will over months) you are stuck with a bright scratch that cannot be polished out. The phone will have it for good. Silver gets scratched immediately but can be extremely easily polished (its literally just a wipe) and you can maintain a nice clear shiny coat for the entire duration of the phone. It's a tradeoff but I personally would much rather be able to polish it once in awhile and have a nice shiny scratch-less band (I also mainly got it for resale, a scratched SG band will probably impact it a bit).

Reactions: bob24

irish2110

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2008
I’m rocking mine naked. No problems. No scratches. So far it feels a lot more solid and scratch resistant than my 7 Plus, and I used that one naked for a year. I got a grand total of one small scratch on the front that you can’t even spot unless you’re looking for it.

So much of this has to do with how you use it and what kind of environment you’re in. I’m in the Pacific Northwest and I work an indoor, computer based job, so my phone doesn’t see a lot of “action,” so to speak, and there isn’t a lot of abrasive particulate flying around. I’m also really careful about not dropping it. I’ve had an iPhone since the first gen and in all that time I’ve only broken two screens... so far.

I agree that it feels more scratch resistant compared to the 7’s...IMO the back of the X will hold up better to scratches since it’s glass...or maybe you just won’t see them as much?

Reactions: Surf Monkey

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
No need for a picture to believe an Apple silver stainless steel product scratches easily.

It’s like asking for a picture to prove that water can extinguish a fire, it’s just common sense.

I mean I believe it, SS will scratch but let’s see it.

It’s a common online phrase. I was feeling a little whimsical

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
I honestly do not know why anyone would choose the silver over the space gray. Yes, the silver looks amazing. However, why not have the more durable, coated stainless steel that the dark phone comes with?

I learned that lesson long ago with the Space Black watch.

Reactions: Archer1440

cap7ainclu7ch

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
I honestly do not know why anyone would choose the silver over the space gray. Yes, the silver looks amazing. However, why not have the more durable, coated stainless steel that the dark phone comes with?

I recommend actually reading the thread. First off it isn't the same coating that is used on the watch and multiple users have already had scratches. Secondly the silver band is easily polished back to looking like new, something that the SG can't do once it scratches (not to mention the scratches on the darker color will stick out much more).

Reactions: bob24

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
I recommend actually reading the thread. First off it isn't the same coating that is used on the watch and multiple users have already had scratches. Secondly the silver band is easily polished back to looking like new, something that the SG can't do once it scratches (not to mention the scratches on the darker color will stick out much more).

I respect the comment, but I stand by my thought and I have followed the thread closely.

I have also been through polishing stainless steel. Great idea, but tight areas are hard to polish, around openings and buttons, and you can gunk up crevices with polish. It feels like you never get it "just right," and causes anxiety in me trying to accomplish a good polish. Polishing my car is enough of a chore without adding in my phone to the to do list.

It is only my opinion, but I prefer the extra durability straight out of the box despite also agreeing the silver phone looks fantastic. I know it is tempting.

bob24

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
I respect the comment, but I stand by my thought and I have followed the thread closely.

I have also been through polishing stainless steel. Great idea, but tight areas are hard to polish, around openings and buttons, and you can gunk up crevices with polish. It feels like you never get it "just right," and causes anxiety in me trying to accomplish a good polish. Polishing my car is enough of a chore without adding in my phone to the to do list.

It is only my opinion, but I prefer the extra durability straight out of the box despite also agreeing the silver phone looks fantastic. I know it is tempting.

I'm personally more on the SS side as far as long term appearance is concerned.

This is not just because of the polish argument (I agree there is no guaranteed you can make it perfect again, even though most likely you can make it look pretty good).

My other reason is that while the space grey coating is stronger, if it gets damage (which can definitely happen) the scratch/chip will extremely obvious and stand out as a white/shiny spot on a black phone. And you will have no hope of making it look close to it's original appearance again. So yes it is stronger, but if a problem occurs it will be much more visible and more difficult to fix.

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017

From Sept 12 - Nov 2, my mind was set on silver all the way. From Nov 3 to Nov 8, it was space gray. Now I think silver is winning me back. I prefer the rear of the sg but its walking towards the silver X from afar and recognizing it right away with the SS band that makes me like it. With sg X, it looks like any black front 7 or 8.

Check this out and read the comments -

^ It's old school iPhone 2G through 3Gs. And usually I place my phone in an angle, the shiny SS band wins out. Watch a few more videos and silver X really does look premium especially if viewed from an angle.

cap7ainclu7ch

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010

To each their own. I just know that the scratches stand out more on SG and would both bother me and impact resale. If you look at the demo units the bottom of the SG models are already totally scratched up. I only polish my watch once a year honestly. It's just nice knowing that I CAN get rid of the scratches. Being stuck with them is what bugs me.

MjWoNeR

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2010
Sweden
I'm prepared for micro scratches. I got the silver one mostly because I can polish it before selling it in a couple of years.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
To each their own. I just know that the scratches stand out more on SG and would both bother me and impact resale. If you look at the demo units the bottom of the SG models are already totally scratched up. I only polish my watch once a year honestly. It's just nice knowing that I CAN get rid of the scratches. Being stuck with them is what bugs me.
I think it's pretty safe to say that the demo units in the Apple Store, even in the week that they've been available to the public have suffered far more abuse that they will by most of us over the course of the 1 or 2 years most of us will use them before we upgrade again.

Me, I think my SG will look fine in a couple of years...but we won't know for quite some time how well they stand up.
Heh...and I'm rocking it naked. (at least until something awful happens) :)

cap7ainclu7ch

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
I think it's pretty safe to say that the demo units in the Apple Store, even in the week that they've been available to the public have suffered far more abuse that they will by most of us over the course of the 1 or 2 years most of us will use them before we upgrade again.

Me, I think my SG will look fine in a couple of years...but we won't know for quite some time how well they stand up.
Heh...and I'm rocking it naked. (at least until something awful happens) :)

Definitely, but it can be an indicator of what will happen with the occasional drop/scrape. I'm sure there will be some SG in a year or two with no marks whatsoever. I also use it as an example of the coating not being as durable as the one used on the AW (which some people think is the same, but that coating is substantially more durable by the looks of things).

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Definitely, but it can be an indicator of what will happen with the occasional drop/scrape. I'm sure there will be some SG in a year or two with no marks whatsoever. I also use it as an example of the coating not being as durable as the one used on the AW (which some people think is the same, but that coating is substantially more durable by the looks of things).
I know it's not as durable (was hoping it was though). I saw a video where it was getting scraped up by a mohs 5 pick (which means it's not as resistant to scratches as the glass is). Definitely not the hardness of the DLC on the AW.

Edit: Here's the video...about 1:15 in he takes a mohs 5 pick to the SG stainless.

Last edited:

bnekic

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2013
Cleveland, OH
Easily remove surface scratches with this,

197bd18364ad7dd771d443c565e110c5.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.