Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will.O.Bie

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2016
That literally makes no sense.

All I'm saying is that people can't wait six weeks to get their phones that they are willing to pay more than the retail price? I mean don't get me wrong, I'm just as excited to get it as soon as possible but to actually bid on these phones for a higher price point "literally makes no sense".

donster28

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
Why is it sad if buying a phone is their equivalent of you eating a meal out one night? There are people out there looking at you eating a meal out saying it is a waste of money satisfying a craving when you could just make food at home for less.
Seriously, you’re comparing it to splurging for a meal? Must be a very expensive meal. I can afford to eat out and pay $50-$60 for dinner every now and then, but that’s as far as I am willing to pay for dinner. It’s not a fair comparison in my opinion.

Last edited:

Poofy1971

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2015
Melbourne, Australia
As someone that waited for pre-sale and logged in as the store opened and to be faced with a 4-5 week wait, this ***** me off. I’m happy to wait in line, but hate it when it’s because scalpers are using bots to beat the queues.

Reactions: Roy Biggins

varun14

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2010
Lol, whilst I do not condone the resellers, it's funny how people here are moaning about people paying 'anything' for these phones. With the prices Apple are charging for these phones, anyone who buys the iPhone X is giving into extortionist ways. This is coming from someone who has bought two and is getting them on Friday (for my family members). If I needed the money, I would put them up for sale too. The prices people are reselling them are only relative to the prices Apple charge us for in the first place.

ksnell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2012
All I'm saying is that people can't wait six weeks to get their phones that they are willing to pay more than the retail price? I mean don't get me wrong, I'm just as excited to get it as soon as possible but to actually bid on these phones for a higher price point "literally makes no sense".

I agree with that. I personally would never do it, but we cannot argue with the fact there are people out there that have enough disposable income where it does not matter to them. It is literally the difference between $10 and $15.

legacyb4

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Capitalism at its best; honestly though, if there's someone willing to pay the premium and a seller offering the product, is that such a bad thing?

Will.O.Bie

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2016
I agree with that. I personally would never do it, but we cannot argue with the fact there are people out there that have enough disposable income where it does not matter to them. It is literally the difference between $10 and $15.

That I can agree with you as well.

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
wait til the end of november/early december, when those hoping to get an X as a christmas gift realize that it won't arrive in time...if delivery times from apple are still 5-6 weeks then, Xs might go for $2500 closer to christmas...

Reactions: greenmeanie

npmacuser5

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Problem solves itself, do not buy from these folks. That supply and demand core value we so cherish.

OliviaS1217

Suspended
Oct 26, 2017
I almost feel sad for them. Both. The ones needing a piece of tech that badly. And the ones taking advantage of it.

Must be pretty sad lives.

Isn't that a bit ironic though? Should you feel bad for yourself that you're on a tech site?

borgqueenx

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
It brings me joy to say our dutch local object sale website is flooded with 3 november iphones that the profit they make is now a mere 100 euro.

legacyb4

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2002
Vancouver, BC

At lunch yesterday, I saw a Lambo Aventador LP-700 parked on the street; it "literally makes no sense" why someone would pay that much for a car that has four wheels just like a Honda Civic... /s

Newjackboy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2012
Seriously, you’re comparing it to splurging for a meal? Must be a very expensive meal. I can afford to eat out and pay $50-$60 for dinner every now and then, but that’s as far as I am willing to pay for dinner. It’s not a fair comparison in my opinion.
Yeah it is. For some, 1000 bucks is your $50

kimguroo

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2007
Not worth to resell iPhone X. There are so much risk to resell at Craigslist and eBay.
Definitely, there will be scammers are waiting at eBay and you don’t want to put your life in danger for selling at Craigslist since there are so bad incidents.
Probably percentage might be low but it can be “YOU”.
You can make $300-600 to resell iPhone x but you might lose entire $1000 or even worse.

Jefe's MacAir

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2010
There's A LOT of people who unlike most here have more money than time. The extra $1k is like a drop in the bucket to them and likely make many times that much in the time they would have wasted chasing down an iPhone in the middle of the night. They prefer the convenience and are willing to pay for it. It's simple consumerism and supply vs. demand.

Reactions: brigante

roar08

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
Well the scalpers are taking advantage of rich people’s impatient stupidity....

No, people are choosing to pay a certain price for a specific item; they're not being tricked. And they're not necessarily rich, that's an assumption you're making.

But I like that you assume rich people are gullible. Most of the people I know who are truly wealthy are neither impatient nor stupid. Not all, but most.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.