Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
The question was actually less than 1 year, but again, look how many generations ago we have to go back to find something comparable. And the 5 was not spun as so much more profitable (and driving up average revenue per phone sold) than the prior generation, as is the case here.
Your 'less than a year' argument is totally disingenuous. It is only because of production issues that the iPhone X launched about six weeks after the usual time slot. The iPhone 5 was discontinued when the iPhone 5s went on sale. Exactly the same is predicted to happen with the iPhone X, it will be discontinued when the iPhone Xs/XI/X.2 (or whatever it will be called) goes on sale.

Reactions: NetMage

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Same here. I'd never go back to a phone navigated with home button clicks. That becomes apparent whenever I use my iPad.

My only nit with the X is the OLED screen. I'd much rather have the LCD screen of my 6+. Aside from that, my X is so much better in so many ways.
Out of curiosity, what is it about the OLED screen you don't like vs LCD?

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
When Apple introduced the Plus line of iPhones, sales jumped from 42M quarter to 64M per quarter, Y/Y.

When Apple introduced the X, quarterly iPhone sales fell from 51M (already 20% off their peak) to... well, actually, it rose 2% to 52M.

This is their big recovery? They raised profits per phone by 11% and didn't grow volume at all?
Like I said, it's not a complete failure. It's just not as good as hoped.

I suspect they may do better with both a XI and XI Plus model, and with a price cut on the XI vs the X. Or they may just do OK like now, which again wouldn't be a complete failure, just not as good as hoped.

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
So the iPhone 8 platform outsold the iPhone X. Got it. 12.5 + 8.3 = 20.8 Million which is a bigger number than 16 Million.

If you want to argue with me about the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus being separate devices then the iPhone X 128GB and iPhone X 256GB are also separate products.

In my opinion the 8 and 8 Plus are just different configurations of the same series. Just like when people compare Galaxy S9 sales numbers they combine the S9 and S9+ into one moniker just as we have done with the iPhone 7/7+ and iPhone 6/6+ before that.

Reactions: mech986

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Out of curiosity, what is it about the OLED screen you don't like vs LCD?

The OLED screen tints towards cyan/blue when the display is viewed off-axis. From what I've seen they all appear do that, to various degrees.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Your 'less than a year' argument is totally disingenuous. It is only because of production issues that the iPhone X launched about six weeks after the usual time slot. The iPhone 5 was discontinued when the iPhone 5s went on sale. Exactly the same is predicted to happen with the iPhone X, it will be discontinued when the iPhone Xs/XI/X.2 (or whatever it will be called) goes on sale.

OK. Now apply that “normal to discontinue” implication to the 6s and 7 still for sale in the Apple store, with the 8 long since available.

Reactions: NetMage

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
The OLED screen tints towards cyan/blue when the display is viewed off-axis. From what I've seen they all appear do that, to various degrees.

It also uses PWM and causes some people to have eyestrain. I specifically go out of my way not to purchase PWM displays due to the flickering. The IPS equipped iPhones like the 8 and 7 don't use PWM like the OLED iPhone X does.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Same article from last year:
https://www.macrumors.com/2017/05/10/iphone-most-popular-smartphone-q1-2017/

Last year, the iPhone 7 sold 34% more phones than the iPhone X.

Even the iPhone 7 Plus sold 10% more phones then then the iPhone X.

Spin it as you wish, but the sales speak for themselves, the iPhone X, 8 and 8 Plus were all failures.
Sure, all models introduced in September 2017 (8, 8 Plus, X) together sold more than all models introduced in September 2016 (7, 7 Plus) during the approximate first six months of their respective availability.

Reactions: mech986

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
It also uses PWM and causes some people to have eyestrain. I specifically go out of my way not to purchase PWM displays due to the flickering. The IPS equipped iPhones like the 8 and 7 don't use PWM like the OLED iPhone X does.

Yes, though that doesn't seem to affect me. I know it does with other people.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
as numbers can be looked at in a variety of ways, I'm just spinning here both sides

Looking at the numbers provided here,

Apple had the highest individual sold devices. top 4. But those top 4 devices only accounted for 12.2% of worldwide smartphone sales for the quarter. And the iPhone X, only accounts for 4% of the worlds smartphone sales.

Is this what was expected or not from Apple? That's the only real question. did they expected iPhone X to be another supercycle or did they expect only 4% of the sales to be the X. (we honestly aren't able to answer this as we're not accountants for Apple).

just doing a compilation of many of the rumours we've heard about the iPhone X's sales, it's still possible that While being the #1 SELLING phone, that they expected still to sell far more of them. At the end of the day, the iPhone8 with a combined sales of 21.13 million devices still outsold the X by 5.13million units.

is the iPhone X a "failure"? anyone who claims this is nuts as it still brought in profits and Apple still maintained their financial goals. But, did it sell as well as Apple originally hoped? that's a statement that is impossible for us to say, however based on rumours prior, I don't think ti sold as well as they had hoped (hoping for anothersupercycle which did not come)

TantalizedMind

Suspended
Feb 5, 2007
iPhone X HAS the look :D

The front is just screen and no bezel.. so it’s like it doesn’t have a look. I used to be able to tell an iPhone from an Android. Now they look the same from the front.

And IMO the vertical camera looks uglier than the horizontal design.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
as numbers can be looked at in a variety of ways, I'm just spinning here both sides

Looking at the numbers provided here,

Apple had the highest individual sold devices. top 4. But those top 4 devices only accounted for 12.2% of worldwide smartphone sales for the quarter. And the iPhone X, only accounts for 4% of the worlds smartphone sales.

Is this what was expected or not from Apple? That's the only real question. did they expected iPhone X to be another supercycle or did they expect only 4% of the sales to be the X. (we honestly aren't able to answer this as we're not accountants for Apple).

just doing a compilation of many of the rumours we've heard about the iPhone X's sales, it's still possible that While being the #1 SELLING phone, that they expected still to sell far more of them. At the end of the day, the iPhone8 with a combined sales of 21.13 million devices still outsold the X by 5.13million units.

is the iPhone X a "failure"? anyone who claims this is nuts as it still brought in profits and Apple still maintained their financial goals. But, did it sell as well as Apple originally hoped? that's a statement that is impossible for us to say, however based on rumours prior, I don't think ti sold as well as they had hoped (hoping for anothersupercycle which did not come)
This is pretty much exactly what I'm saying.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011

this has gotten dramatically better from Samsung screens as of late (which the X uses). Had an S6 which did have a pink hue when it was viewed really off angle. My S8 has barely any. When I played with the X, I didn't notice it either.

But this is one of those places where YMMV,

seatton

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2013
Seattle, WA
When I put my phone down and pick it up, sometimes I get my iPhone X upside down. With the home button, I never got it wrong. I know I need glasses.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Another thing though that has me doubting some of the numbers here:

when you remove the top listed, the stats here say that 292m other devices sold... if none of those are in the top list, and none of them sold more than 5m devices, than that means there are a minimum of 60+ devices in that "other" category.

I would love to see a complete breakdown of the rest of those numbers, because historically reports like this have a weird way of segregrating certain devices to make their numbers smaller (for example, breaking apart sku's based on storage sizes for some devices, but not others)

Mefisto

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2015
Finland
The only argument left for the "naysayers" seems to be that the X is, while very well, "still not selling as well as they (Apple) hoped."

And that's fine, that's one statement no one can really prove or disprove one way or another. While I, personally, really don't care all that much how well it sells (performance matters to me as a consumer), it's definately interesting to see how many conflicting rumors / "news" have been presented on the subject.

For the record, I do like my X.

kingax1

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2017
New York
Sure it does. People vote with their wallets after carefully considering the value proposition and looking at other alternatives. Especially for a premium-priced device. You might want to consider not projecting your personal views and feelings, and how you make purchase decisions, onto millions of others.

The market has voted.

Alot of those "votes" are due to great marketing, doesnt equate to best phone. If votes = best product then votes should mean we are getting the best politicians in office. Its just not always the case.

I love my iPhone X though, I have no interest in replacing it with anything else not that I dont respect some competition.

rom3o

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2014
In other words, don't get fooled by the way the numbers are framed. These numbers IMO do in fact make sense in the context of the industry articles out there about the iPhone X and lower demand than expected for OLED screens, etc.
I was just about to dig out last years data but you beat me to it. :p

In comparison there is absolutely no “super bowl winner” here (well, given the higher profit per device there is obviously one on the shareholders side). The X - despite being “the most innovative product on the market” - couldn’t even sell more units than the iPhone 7 Plus did last year in Q2. Which was basically just the third update of a two year old model, already selling significantly less units than the original iPhone 6!

Seems pretty clear the X couldn’t attract a considerable amount of new customers like previous new iPhone generations did, it only cut into Apples already existing userbase - and the majority of them choose not to buy it (16 million vs. 20.8 million).

If Apple had stuck to their traditional marketing and pricing strategy, this thing probably would have been a massive hit - both on customers and investors sides.

(I have to admit that I have no clue if there would have been some limitations in the supply chain preventing Apple from releasing the X only - but week-long shipping times after release never hindered iPhone sales in the past.)

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
OK, so apply that to the discontinuation of the 5 rationale with the launch of the 5s. Conceptually the 5 being older tech and LCD was also “cheaper to produce.”
The 5 was a brand new model with a bigger screen an all aluminum casing. It was expensive for its time. So what Apple did is replaced it with the 5S, and then pushed a 5C into the 2nd tier line. Unfortunately, this didn't work out for Apple, as the 5C seemed to not sell as well as hoped. So, going forward they kept the aluminum models around.

However, with the X, it's in a totally different higher manufacturing price tier, largely because of the OLED screens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.