iPhone X Should Push Apple Ahead of Samsung as World's Largest Smartphone Maker

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 9, 2017.

1. dazed macrumors 6502a

Can’t say I was too impressed with the X when I was playing around with one in the store. Maybe it will grow on me.

Not sure if it was the lighting in the store but the silver looked tacky. Almost like fake chrome hubcaps. Maybe the grey is better looking.

It probably didn’t help that it was next to the Samsung s8+ which I have always liked the look of.

2. FFR macrumors 65816

FFR

I know what mean. The notch is actually a minimized bezel.
    [​IMG]

3. newyorksole macrumors 68030

Usual price points? The 8 is $50 more and the 8+ is $30 more after already being up $20 last year.

4. deanthedev macrumors 6502

deanthedev

I didn’t miss anything. The poster I replied to stated half the parts in an iPhone come from Samsung. That’s simply not true. Now you want to change the narrative to claim the screen is the most important part, thereby saying Samsung is mainly responsible for the iPhone X. Just like Qualcomm pretends the iPhone success is due to their modems.

The success of the iPhone is primarily due to Apple, not their suppliers.

5. Mtmspa Suspended

Did you do a market research survey or are you just spewing your opinion? That’s what I thought.

6. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

The iPhone is just a slightly different configuration of a Samsung device. :D
    --- Post Merged, Nov 9, 2017 ---
    How do you know someone is on contract by looking at them?

I bought my phone with ApplePay. Both if my roommates bought Samsung Phones that locked them into unfavorable contract agreements and credit terms.

7. gene731 macrumors member

My 6 plus was as well. I got iPhone 10 at local Apple store yesterday. Love it and faceiID works great. No complaints now especially since Apple finally fixed that bug when texting.

8. convergent macrumors 68030

convergent

And look at all that black space around the X's display. This is why no matter how many comparison pictures you post, the S8, S8+, and Note 8 have a larger screen to size ratio than the X. And they give it to you in a shape that doesn't drive a developer crazy to try and deal with. But I get it... you like the ears. You are happy, I am happy... life is good.

9. sinsin07, Nov 9, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2017

sinsin07 macrumors 68030

Does imagination count (as a source)?

10. Mirice99 macrumors member

How many years did Apple spend mocking PC's with their Mac vs PC commercials?

11. ChrisChaval macrumors regular

ChrisChaval

Nokia (Symbian)
    BlackBerry , ex rim
    Windows mobile , windows 10 (mobile)

Rip to all of them

Apple is way too reliant on just one product that might be obsolete tomorrow

And they know it

In the meantime ... they earn a couple of billion dollars ...

12. Michael Scrip, Nov 9, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2017

Michael Scrip macrumors 601

The Mac was definitely in a defensive position against Windows PCs with something like 5% market share at the time.

So what does this say about Samsung? Are they actually in the defensive position against the iPhone?

Here's the funny thing: Samsung's bread-n-butter is budget Android phones... a product Apple doesn't even sell.

Samsung might want to instead focus on Huawei, Xiaomi, and everyone else who sells the couple hundred million Android phones every 3 months.

That's who Samsung should be worried about.

13. FFR macrumors 65816

FFR

He still thinks Nokia and Symbian will make a comeback.

14. GrumpyMom macrumors 603

GrumpyMom

Good points. I shall be 25% less salty if and when I get an iPhone X it Xs. Ooh, iPhone Xs, I like the sound of that. :)

15. FFR macrumors 65816

FFR

Are you getting one.

16. KingslayerG5 macrumors 65816

KingslayerG5

Most Galaxy S ever sold: S4, 80M
    Most Galaxy Note ever sold: Note II, 30M

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_mobile_phones

S4 - 80M
    S III - 60M
    S7 - 55M
    S II - 40M
    Note II - 30M
    S - 25M
    S8 - 20M
    S5 - 12M

The iPhone 6 & 6 Plus are the best-selling smartphones of all-time at 220M combined.

No matter if you believe Note series is the real Samsung flagship, they don't sell as well as their S line or iPhone. Last year, Note7 was only expected to sell 20M-25M. An iPhone 3Gs has outsold every Note model.

Other brands would die happy if their flagship could sell as well as a S8 at 20M. They would be lucky to hit 10M-15M. Most of Samsung's market share with mobile is with their midrangers similar to Nokia in the previous decade of dominance.

Samsung's market share peaked in 2013 until the Chinese undercut them in prices by 2014 with phones like the OnePlus One and flash sales from Xiaomi.

[​IMG]

China's market is very volatile like runners passing on a baton. In 2013, it was Lenovo. In 2014, it was Xiaomi. In 2015, it was Huawei. Recently, it is OPPO. Most Chinese's taste with brands is like their food. They want it cheap, fast, and good!

The truest and best variants of Samsung flagships are made in South Korea. Exynos and Samsung camera sensor over Sony's. That's the truest Samsung where nearly everything is built in-house.

The iPhone X is assembled in China thanks to Foxconn. A patchwork of Asian-manufactured components from Samsung, Sony, and TSMC.

Whatever you do, Samsung's DNA is everywhere. I realized it as early as original Xbox when the Samsung disc trays were superior to the Phillips ones. My LG G3 S' internal storage is made by Samsung. My iPhone SE has the Samsung A9 chip.

Anytime you pick up an iPod, you thank the South Koreans for inventing the mp3 player. Samsung-made components were found in the very first iPhone. Anytime you admire the X's display and pick which storage capacity, remember they are made by Samsung.

Fun fact: GRiDPad was the first commercially available tablet released in 1989. Guess who manufactured it? Samsung.

Anytime you pick up your iPad Pro with Apple Pencil, just remember Samsung manufactured the very first tablet with stylus.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Samsung's DNA is everywhere even if you can't see it. From fish market started in 1938 (older than Sony) to market leader in multiple industries as of today.

It's not about debating. It's about educating. :cool:

Geonbae!
    <3 South Koreans

17. GrumpyMom macrumors 603

GrumpyMom

No.

18. PickUrPoison macrumors 6502a

New and improved GrumpyMom, available soon with reduced sodium :D

19. TimeSquareDesi macrumors 6502

TimeSquareDesi

bestest advice.

20. magbarn macrumors 68000

Spewing my opinion. We may be in the minority but there’s multiple others here who have come to the same conclusion.

21. waquzy macrumors regular

waquzy

I disagree, I think X is the best looking phone since iPhone 5, S8 doesn't even come close. However, S8 is definitely the best looking android phone though.

22. tito2020 macrumors 6502a

dont forget sammy made it happen

23. GrumpyMom macrumors 603

GrumpyMom

I get tempted though. My husband’s takes great pictures. Then I get salty about something. I don’t want to see Touch ID go away entirely the way the headphone jack did. It takes up space on an already packed chassis, so I can’t blame Apple for getting rid of it if they’ve got something more exciting that works well for people who don’t have evil lookalike siblings. But I will miss it from future Apple products.

24. maikerukun macrumors member

maikerukun

As someone that has had my iPhone X since launch, I honestly WANT every model to have that notch now. It feels great, it's iconic, and I park my assistance tab underneath it. It doesn't get in the way of literally anything, and is a beautiful part of the design. And while everyone may not agree, I know that virtually all of my personal friends that also have an X have expressed similar thoughts when we discuss what we do and don't like about the X.

For the record, the only thing I don't like so far is that I have to swipe down from the top right corner to physically see my battery percentage. I wish there was a way to trade the actual battery icon with the percentage counter, just swap their positions. Outside of that, it's been a perfect phone so far.

25. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Im sorry but the Note 7 is way better looking IMO.