iPhone X Should Push Apple Ahead of Samsung as World's Largest Smartphone Maker

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 9, 2017.

1. convergent macrumors 68020

convergent

Before or after it bursts into flames??? Just want to get the right visual.:D

2. blackcrayon macrumors 68000

Note 7 looks ok but kind of impractical. Has weird thick bezels at the top and bottom that make the phone unnecessarily bigger like an iPhone 6. One of them could probably be turned into a sort of "notch" that has the speaker and camera but leaves room on either side for the status bar.

3. tooltalk, Nov 9, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2017

tooltalk macrumors 6502

Apple accounts for around 5% of Samsung Electronics's total sales. In the meanwhile, Samsung has ~95% of the mobile OLED displays, 40% of global NAND marketshare, 45% of global DRAM marketshare, etc, etc.. It's really difficult to avoid Samsung if Apple wants to continue making their phones.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 9, 2017 ---
    Would you mind citing sources for your "90%" figure? Or is that your imagination? or perhaps a wishful thinking?

4. KingslayerG5 macrumors 6502a

KingslayerG5

Steve Jobs' Sony Envy

John Sculley: "I remember Akio Morita gave Steve and me each one of the first Sony Walkmans. None of us had ever seen anything like that before because there had never been a product like that. This is 25 years ago and Steve was fascinated by it. The first thing he did with his was take it apart and he looked at every single part. How the fit and finish was done, how it was built.

He was fascinated by the Sony factories. We went through them. They would have different people in different colored uniforms. Some would have red uniforms, some green, some blue, depending on what their functions were. It was all carefully thought out and the factories were spotless. Those things made a huge impression on him.

The Mac factory was exactly like that. They didn’t have colored uniforms, but it was every bit as elegant as the early Sony factories that we saw. Steve’s point of reference was Sony at the time. He really wanted to be Sony. He didn’t want to be IBM. He didn’t want to be Microsoft. He wanted to be Sony."

Back To The Future Part III (1990)

Doc: "No wonder this circuit failed; it says 'Made in Japan'."
    Marty: "What do you mean, Doc? All the best stuff is made in Japan."

Back in the late-1980's, everyone was expecting Japan to be the Superpower again to supercede the United States in influence and economy. I remember being in Universal Studios (Hollywood) in 1994 and the announcements were in Japanese.

Remember back in the 1970's, most Japanese products was viewed mostly as poor quality. Hondas and Toyotas were still a joke. Then the 1980's happened. What people felt about South Korean products in the 1990's was what people felt about Japanese products twenty years prior.

Remember 1986's Gung-Ho starring Michael Keaton? It showed the differing work culture between Americans and the Japanese? And Japanese would exercise and work hard and diligently. Attention to detail. But guess what happened by the early 1990's? The Lost Decade aka The Lost Twenty Years happened.

I mentioned this because Japan's downfall was South Korea's benefit. The decline of a company like Sony opened the door for the rise of Samsung. Remember when I compared Samsung to Maryann?

That's what South Koreans were to Japan. They copied Japan the way Maryann wanted to be like Ginger, the movie star. So that's what they did. They studied how the Japanese did it but offer it at a lower price. Copycat industries.

So back when the HDTV revolution was ready to begin, the South Koreans were able to undercut the Japanese. This propelled Samsung as the TV market leader by the mid-2000's around the time they got into the semiconductor business.

But guess what has happened in this decade? What the South Korean did to the Japanese is what the Chinese did to the South Koreans. They undercut them. More man power. Cities like Shenzen is the new mecca for electronics. The way of the Dragon.

Japan's fall, South Korea's rise
    South Korea's fall, China's rise

Land of the Morning Calm vs Land of the Rising Sun vs The Red Dragon

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Other Asians' POV
    Japan > China > South Korea?

Indians, Pakistanis, and Indonesians really killed the South Koreans' median.

If Apple licensed iOS to Chinese brands, would we even be havimg this conversation if you can use iOS with only $50 hardware? Thought so. Now you can understand Samsung's decline.

Population
    South Korea - 51.25M
    Japan - 127M
    China - 1.379B

5. BvizioN Suspended

BvizioN

They probably felt. I heard that Apple was close to bankruptcy once? But that was then.
    Guess who is insecure now?
    That's right.....

6. JayIsAwesome macrumors 65816

JayIsAwesome

Kinda like how Apple use to do to Microsoft back in the day?
    The iPhone 10 is an amazing device. Absolutely loving mine. Can’t wait to see what Apple has for next year. Also looking forward to seeing how Samsung combats the iPhone 10. The GS9 is definitely on my radar, as is the Note 9.

7. BvizioN Suspended

BvizioN

The plus version is a bit wider and not as tall as X.
    But man, these ridiculous fat bezels that make it feel you have a brick in a hand or in a pocket.
    I would take a slightly narrower screen any time instead of wider screen on a massive body.

8. alien3dx macrumors regular

alien3dx

it just overprice product .Not normal average people used it..

9. AdonisSMU, Nov 9, 2017

AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Phones are a different beast. Its the one device most people use daily and multiple times a day. People are more willing to spend money on their phones.

Better to say out of your budget (doesnt mean anything about your financial status) because overpriced is purely subjective and not based on anything other than your feelings. It is a more accurate statement.

Im sure if we had the actual cost per device sold (including r&d, marketing, engineering, etc) we might have a different view of what overpriced really means.

10. alien3dx macrumors regular

alien3dx

why we need to think all those r&d marketing ,engineering and so on.. It just a phone which we used to call , using whastapp,wehat,snapchat.. .What more important should be tell is battery life. Android have tendency to shutdown if battery 5% while in iphone what good is 5% batter can last 1 hour which i can go home and charge it.

I used android and iphone in same time anyway..

11. AdonisSMU, Nov 9, 2017

AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Well id argue the better question is why does someone else feel the need to justify other peoples purchases to themselves? Price isnt always the only consideration otherwise people would be buying the cheapest Phones they could find platform and features be damned. There would also be no incentive for companies to research new technologies that have the potential to improve our lives in many ways.

12. najicta macrumors member

Anyone know where I can find that wallpaper on the right (night sky scene)?

13. Nabby51 macrumors member

Not disputing your other comments but I do have to point out that California lives in a bubble. I know because I too live there too. I see Apple devices everywhere here. It’s the the standard phone for almost everyone here. However the moment you leave the state or even the country the ratios change drastically.

Android, not Samsung, still owns north of 80% market share world wide. As a tech person it’s always interesting to see that when traveling.

14. Baymowe335 macrumors regular

They sell iPhones ranging from $349 to $1149. Pick one.

I like the highest priced options as they have the most cutting edge tech. Good for customers like me. I see value where you see expensive. I also like 5 star hotels even though they are just beds in a room.
    Apple already broke the champagne when they guided $87b which will surely be conservative. Apple is the best company in the world.

15. alien3dx macrumors regular

alien3dx

back to main topic.. the price is overprice and maybe the report are fake. Maybe the 80% in united state using apple but not android platform but to said apple the first market share of phone.. it's absurb.

16. mib1800, Nov 9, 2017

mib1800 macrumors 68020

Apple is gonna to make huge profits (more than rest combined). No one gonna dispute this. But in the world only 15% use an Iphone. Take any one of the 85% android users out there, their phone can do everything an Iphone can do (in terms of smartphone capabilities) eventhough the phone may cost 1/10 the price of Iphone. So these low end users are not missing out of anything.

Iphone share of 15% of users worldwide 35-40% of them are in US alone. If you take the world exclude US, then only 1 in 10 use an Iphone. Iphone importance or impact on the rest of the world phone users is minimal at best.

BUT iphone sales and profit has HUGE impact on the rest of the world. Just know that your willingnes to pay "premium" price will provide jobs to many thousands of people around the world and at the same time fatten the pocket of many companies. If you are an American, I am not so sure whether it is good for you or not since you form 5% of world's population but you are buying/paying for 35-40% of all iphone sold every year.

17. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Maybe maybe not. Im guessing low end smartphones dont have touchID or faceID and the build quality is such That I see many people havinf to replace their phones after a shorter period of time due to issues that can be attributed to being a low end phone.

18. Baymowe335 macrumors regular

You’re basically saying all smartphones are the same. They aren’t. For one, they don’t have iOS. Frankly, Android has huge share because it is cheap and people can’t afford an iPhone. This is changing in India and has already changed a lot in China. Japan, Australia, GB, and parts of Europe are over 30% iOS.

This just means iOS has room to grow.

19. Michael Scrip macrumors 601

That last line is the difference between Apple and all the other companies on your death-list. (don't forget Palm)

So do you think Palm would still be around today if they were making 10 billion dollars in profit from 50 billion in revenue? Every three months?

I know what you're trying to say: "If Nokia and Blackberry can fail... so could Apple..."

But come on... Apple is in a whole other league. There haven't been many companies that post these kinds of numbers... especially an electronics company.

Even if Apple majorly screwed up with their "one product"... they've got 260 billion safety nets.

That's something Palm didn't have. Their only option was to be acquired... and ultimately gutted.

Look... I can't predict the future. But I do know that you shouldn't look at other companies' failures and automatically assume the same could happen to Apple.

Oh it's possible... but not very probable.

Apple seems to be playing a different game. I think Apple could be around for another 40 years. :p

20. alien3dx macrumors regular

alien3dx

159 dollar phone android already got thumb print screen ( biometric) or aka touch id. And the battery life quite good nowdays 4000 mah . From both perseptive , iphone much easier because one platform like microsoft wanted to do long time ago one platform. IOS and OSX is long way to be like linux or microsoft yet.. But i hope they focus more on functionality,green enviroment instead of forcing us to buy new mac just for upgrade or extort to highess price.

21. KingslayerG5 macrumors 6502a

KingslayerG5

I remember the time Korean Airline had a bad reputation. I remember hearing about that crash in 1997. Korean airliners had the most deaths from 1970-1999.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_Air_incidents_and_accidents

Samsung's reign at the top was partially by default because downfalls from pioneers and some clever marketing called "The Next Big Thing."

Motorola is the father of cell phones. It wasn't until 1998 when Nokia surpassed Motorola in global market share. Nokia was never really big in the United States. Back in the flip phone / cameraphone revolution (circa 2002-2005), Motorola was actually #1 in the US but Nokia had been the global leader from 1998 up until 2012.

By 2011, everything changed. HP cut the cord on Palm and webOS. Google was going to buy Motorola for patent protection. Nokia / Trojan horse Stephen Elop chose the wrong horse to bet on. The Nokia now doesn't really exist. They are part of Microsoft and HMD (Finnish) still has Nokian DNA with ex-employees but they have a contract to use the Nokia branding on their devices.

Steve died that year and probably Apple hasn't really been the same since the way Sony hasn't been the same after their co-founders died. The heart, soul, and magic is gone. Sony really declined by 2006 and hasn't really been the same ever since. So Samsung really just inherited the mobile leadership. RIM was actually #1 in the US in 2009 but then fell off too because they stayed with their OS.

By 2011, it was pretty much game over for most pioneers and former market leaders. HTC had a great 2010 year even being named GSMA's best manufacturer. After M7 and M8, they never were the same. It wasn't like 2007-2010 when HTC peaked in the US. Because they struggled badly in 2011 & 2012.

Let's look at the players from 15-20 years ago.

Motorola - Lenovo (China)
    Nokia - Microsoft (USA), factories based in China
    BlackBerry - TCL (China)
    HTC - partially in Google (USA)
    Palm - RIP
    Siemens - RIP
    Ericsson - RIP

[​IMG]

I believe the iPhone X will sell a ton because it's a special anniversary iPhone but this is also where I believe Apple will hit a high mark before the 10s or 11 will sell maybe only 40M-60M. It's like trying to dunk after Vince Carter. The follow up will just look ordinary.

Market is saturated. People outside the US are holding onto their phones longer since they live in a prepaid world. And the jumps every few years is more of a tiny hop. Samsung will probably get caught by Huawei but who knows if they are really interested in mobile anymore? The Galaxy X could help them or not. Samsung rose when Motorola, Nokia, BlackBerry, and Sony (general electronics) all fell.

iPhone X = Final Fantasy X

A rise before another decline. X won't catch the 6/6 Plus in sales. It can break 100M and be the 2nd best-selling iPhone ever. But that's it. Next decade, the smartphone craze will start to wane like video game console launches after the 7th gen. Maybe only in the US we will continue with the charade because we are based off two-year installment plans to keep upgrading.

Here today. Gone tomorrow. Nothing lasts forever. Four years ago, nobody even knew Huawei. Four years ago, Samsung peaked at over 32%. Look at them now. A game of thrones.

22. alien3dx macrumors regular

alien3dx

apple once doom to fail after they kick steve.. Steve with colorfull imac bring to life. :)

23. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

iPhones are cheap. In fact, every iPHONE except the iPhone X is cheaper than nearly every other companies flagship phones. Don't pretend like iPhones are some extravagant thing that only the wealthy can afford. What makes the iPhone unique is the profit margin Apple gets out of the majority of their phones.

Android has huge shares because it is OPEN to anyone willing to pay to lease the OS. iOS is closed. Same can be said for Mac's vs PC's. But last I checked, Mac sales haven't grown and in 10 years, iOS has plateaued and stayed realitively steady.

Next time you decide to make a generic statement like 'Android has huge share because it is cheap and people can't afford an iPhone', let's back that up with some facts. Otherwise, you just sound like an ignorant snob.

24. recoil80 macrumors 68000

That's what I did this year buying the 8+, but I had a brand new phone with their latest and greatest A11 bionic.
    But what if next year they only sell their newer phone at $999 and the only option to buy something less expensive is going for an older model? I'm fine with Apple offering a great phone at an higher price point, as long as they keep selling a new model at the usual price point, but I'm afraid they're not going to sell 2 new models (like 8 and X) every year

25. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

And come the S9, Samsung will be back on top. Unless you own Apple shares and are ready to sell, there is no reason to gloat. Another day another story.

And yes .. I'm one of them that thinks Tim Cook is effin up Apple, and I stand by that.